Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

mawarannahr posted:

they probably killed Lynyrd Skynyrd for getting too close to the truth

WHAT DID THE BIG BOPPER KNOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Said the little red rooster to the little red hen
Man, I ain't a-been rockin' since I don't know when
Said the little red hen to the little red rooster
Oh yeah, dad, you don't rock like you use'ta
That's the truth, Ruth, well, that's the truth, Ruth
Well, that's the truth, Ruth
Ev'rybody think I'm crazy, but you're still my baby, baby
That's the truth, Ruth

Said the brown alligator to the pink crocodile
Hang around, baby, and I'll kiss ya after a while
Said the pink crocodile to the brown alligator
Kiss me now, baby, and I'll hang around later
That's the truth, Ruth

Said the polka dot cat to the little grey mouse
Man, I think I'll chase you around the house
Said the little grey mouse to the polka dot cat
Look here, man, how come you act like that?

That's the truth, Ruth

Said the little green frog to the big black snake
Let's go swimmin' in the middle o' the lake
Said the big black snake to the little green frog
Nah, dad, I'm a-stayin' on a log
That's the truth, Ruth

Said the big strong lion to the little lady bear
Come on, baby, let's a-go somewhere
Said the little lady bear to the big strong lion
If a-you got the money, honey, I got the time
That's the truth, Ruth

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

if it’s anything like the uk it’s made up bs and concern trolling about stuff like their configs, build reproducibility, test coverage and things of that nature. reproducibility of most complex software is pretty hard (Debian got there only recently).

here’s the real story:

https://twitter.com/ambliuxiaoming/status/1564260182619832321

also if there’s anything bad in it uk/sweden deserves it anyway.

lol how much does the ccp pay u to post this brain damaged garbage

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Cached Money posted:

Don't sign yr posts

Oh noooo the ccp!!! Oh nooooo!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cached Money posted:

nice pfp

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cached Money posted:

quote:

• Four products have been provided by Huawei to test binary equivalence. Work to validate them by HCSEC is still ongoing but has already exposed wider flaws in the underlying build process which need to be rectified before binary equivalence can be demonstrated at scale. The NCSC has advised the Oversight Board that the priority should be to rectify these underlying flaws as part of Huawei’s transformation plan. Unless and until this is done it is not possible to be confident that the source code examined by HCSEC is precisely that used to build the binaries running in the UK networks.

• Due to various build-related issues, it is hard to be confident that different deployments of similar Huawei equipment are broadly equivalently secure. For example, it is difficult to be confident that vulnerabilities discovered in one build are remediated in another build through the normal operation of a sustained engineering process. The ability to do so, and the end-to-end assurance that a particular source code set is precisely that used to build a particular binary would normally be satisfied as a side effect of a modern software engineering process.

Huawei’s configuration management improvements, which have been driven by the UK community since 2010, have not been universally applied across product and platform development groups or across configuration item types (source code, build tools, build scripts etc). Without good configuration management, there can be no end-to-end integrity in the products as delivered by Huawei, and limited confidence in Huawei’s ability to understand the content of any given build or in their ability to perform true root cause analysis of identified issues.

• Huawei continues to use an old and soon-to-be out of mainstream support version of a well-known and widely used real time operating system supplied by a third party. Huawei has separately purchased a premium long-term support agreement from the vendor to address vulnerabilities in a commercially viable manner in the future, but the underlying cyber security risks brought about by the single memory space, single user context security model remain. NCSC believes there is currently no credible plan to reduce the risk in the UK of the use of this real time operating system. Huawei’s own equivalent operating system is subject to many of the same Huawei development processes as other components and NCSC currently has insufficient evidence to make a judgement on the software engineering quality and cyber security implications of this component. Furthermore, it employs more modern memory and security models and so integration with the existing product running on the operating system brings risk. This means that moving to this real time operating system may not improve the situation long-term, while bringing integration risk to the UK operators. Work continues between Huawei, HCSEC, the UK operators and NCSC to develop a realistic plan to reduce the long-term risk in the UK networks due to the use of this old, third-party real time operating system. However, NCSC remains concerned about the time elapsed since discovery of this issue without a credible plan being presented.

HCSEC has continued to find serious vulnerabilities in the Huawei products examined. Several hundred vulnerabilities and issues were reported to UK operators to inform their risk management and remediation in 2018. Some vulnerabilities identified in previous versions of products continue to exist.

3.8 NCSC continues to believe that the UK mitigation strategy, which includes HCSEC performing technical work and the Oversight Board providing assurance as two components, is the best way to manage the risk of Huawei’s involvement in the UK telecommunications sector. The discovery of the issues exposed in this report are an indication of the model working properly. Huawei currently continues to engage with this process.

These findings are about basic engineering competence and cyber security hygiene that give rise to vulnerabilities that are capable of being exploited by a range of actors. NCSC does not believe that the defects identified are a result of Chinese state interference.

wow who the gently caress wrote this tankie garbage???

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/790270/HCSEC_OversightBoardReport-2019.pdf

the UK government under Theresa May?!?!?!?!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cached Money posted:

everyone in cspam is paid handsomely by President Xi. why are you here, though? the nato propaganda forum is one up.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I’m telling you, he got murked for inventing rap music about 20 years too early. he was disrupting their plan

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Cached Money posted:

Lmao

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Zodium posted:

everyone in cspam is paid handsomely by President Xi. why are you here, though? the nato propaganda forum is one up.

have u considered that both might be bad

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Stevie Lee posted:

i biked some of the carriage roads at Acadia National Park this morning, and i gotta say...maybe the rockefellers weren't so bad after all

careful you dont accidentally take one of the many that bikes are not allowed on because holy poo poo people get mad

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cached Money posted:

:gb2gbs:

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Cached Money posted:

the swedish government specifically banned Huawei cell masts for a reason so I don't think it's a made up threat

gradenko_2000 posted:

wow who the gently caress wrote this tankie garbage???
the UK government under Theresa May?!?!?!?!

Cached Money posted:

just take the loss and realize that the US wants to be the only bad one with systemic hardware-level exploits in global telecom for as long as they can manage it, and Sweden played along as a good peripheral state ought.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

captainbananas posted:

just take the loss and realize that the US wants to be the only bad one with systemic hardware-level exploits in global telecom for as long as they can manage it, and Sweden played along as a good peripheral state ought.

we have our own flawed telecom systems providers we don't need the USA

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Cached Money posted:

From your posts I think it’s clear that Swedes are way too dumb, sorry but you guys will have to rely on adult help for your phone needs.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Cached Money posted:

then why did you need to ban huawei hardware lmao

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

captainbananas posted:

then why did you need to ban huawei hardware lmao

bc our telecom service providers wanted to buy it to save money

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Turtle Watch posted:

From your posts I think it’s clear that Swedes are way too dumb, sorry but you guys will have to rely on adult help for your phone needs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericsson

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1564726795898949632?t=bYy3krq8NN8GLZ_PGiKlAg&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

"Western int agencies sourcing underage brides for ISIS" has a good ring to it. classic stuff.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

"Western int agencies sex trafficking children for ISIS" has a good ring to it. classic stuff.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Real hurthling! posted:

to your last paragraph question: i think on a societal level hidden social media manipulation is cheaper and safer for the spooks than a mass dosing program. less fun for them tho. the guys that were loving with mothman town in wv probably had a great job satisfaction. on an individual level sure you can gently caress someone up majorly with bz and poo poo but nowadays the internet will also make insane murderers too that identify themselves to the fbi years before they go postal and you can probably use both methods (digital and chemical) in concert to get the perfect triggerman you need for whatever job with less effort than ever before by letting 4chan serve you up candidates for the old jolly west treatment.

idk its an open question to me.

I agree it's an open question; my own experiences with LSD specifically, combined with direct observation as well as everything I've read about MK ultra, LSD, the extremely more dangerous than LSD things used -- acid just seems too unpredictable to me to make manchurian candidates. I have no doubt that if you force dose people repeatedly under harsh conditions you can reliably break their minds, but I don't really think the MIC has the expertise (if such is even possible) to reliably put humpty-dumpty-the-psychokiller back together. Having watched zen communities that tried very hard to elicit a basically much more minor change -- to get a glimpse of the typical "enlightenment" experience took most people weeks of specific prep, and then maintaining that experience took hours of weekly practice.

I fully believe that one of the hard goals of MKULTRA was (and perhaps still is) identifying chemical agents useful in both mass social control as well as specific control of individuals, I just don't think that they were, overall, that successful. These things are wildly unpredictable, and also if you're just going to break someone with psychological torture over an extended period where you control all their inputs and outputs I don't think you need drugs to do that, and I'm not even sure drugs make the process faster or more predictable.

Many open questions though, I'd love to see all of what became of those programs 1970-present. Many such interesting documents no doubt exist.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

yeah, I don't think they ever really figured out how to do it on command, like take one person and manchurian candidate them. i do think they were much more successful in using them to break people and groups they want to discredit and semi-successful in finding someone out of those groups that could be useful because of how they were broken.

that is, they flooded the zone in 60s counterculture america with all manner of hallucinogens, the individual chemicals being only loosely relevant, which they knew from their own internal usage was gonna break people and generally produce a lot of internal stress. they also knew out of that environment they'd end up with a subset of people who were broken and pliable and violent who could then be wielded in useful ways. and even if 99 out of 100 of that subset didn't pan out, the one who did could be extremely destructive. if the Jakarta Method is one way to destroy a leftist movement, call this the Manson Method.

someone elsewhere pointed out that the superpower of the CIA (or any intelligence agency really) is not that they are hypercompetent operators who put together clockwork plans that go off without a hitch, it's that they effectively get unlimited tries at problems. they couldn't use LSD or whatever to turn an arbitrary person into an assassin, but they could produce a situation repeatedly whereby someone would eventually turn violent and by doing that repeatedly destroy whatever they want.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cached Money posted:

Wake me up when your tiny country no longer has almost 4x the COVID deaths of superior China

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1564488545619812352?t=4wEK443l97LUBcsoXdv9sw&s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what is the DEA even going to do with 36.4 tons of cocaine?

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/boltzmannbooty/status/1564958136229924865?s=21&t=_ZlXgYHbPCEedE9AGvHEaQ

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Wake me up when your tiny country no longer has almost 4x the COVID deaths of superior China

lol @ believing the stats China puts out

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Cached Money posted:

lol @ believing the stats China puts out

Lol @ believing the stats america puts out

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can someone post some Fort Detrick stuff here please this new guy sucks

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Lol @ believing the stats america puts out

i believe neither, it's easy

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Azathoth posted:

that is, they flooded the zone in 60s counterculture america with all manner of hallucinogens, the individual chemicals being only loosely relevant, which they knew from their own internal usage was gonna break people and generally produce a lot of internal stress.

well, they did, but so did a lot of other people. I've never seen any connection between Owsley Stanley and the CIA and I'd be pretty incredulous unless there was really hard data; my own dad bought a gram of Stanley acid pre-ban for $100 in then-money (quite a deal)! Likewise, I've never really seen much linking MIC to the mafia that operated (operates?) as The Grateful Dead Family, The Family, The Rainbow Family, etc -- I am sure these groups are infiltrated to varying degrees but I'd be surprised if it was MIC calling the shots there, or MIC who set the Brotherhood of Eternal Light on their path.

Acid is, at a core level, pretty interesting and fun for a lot of users, so it kind of sells itself. I don't think it was useful for social control. It was definitely useful as a huge moneymaker for myriad actors, and the CIA could certainly have been one of them, but if there's a hidden history there, it's pretty well missed by Acid Dreams. Operation White Rabbit certainly raises some interesting questions about the Pickard acid lab which no doubt manufactured a lot of the stuff I ate in the late 90s, but that comes down to a bunch of he-said they-said between Pickard and the DEA and I haven't seen much of a whiff of a MIC fingerprint on them.

I'm just generally dubious about the "LSD was CIA mind control attempt!" narrative because on top of a lot of reading, my parents and a lot of people I know lived through that era and while they're mostly pretty cynical about LSD and the MIC and CIA specifically, the related collective experience of people who lived through that era just doesn't seem like a hidden psyop to me, seems like a bunch of almost-in-plain-sight ops combined with some weird poo poo like having hookers surreptitiously dose their johns so agents could giggle from behind glass walls, and to the extend acid exists widely in culture now, it's mostly just another hedonism button for a lot of people, whereas communities that take it "seriously" tend to have their own breed of weirdness to them but don't seem like they are being run by CIA operatives to me.

Just my take, I could be completely manipulated and wrong, but if the CIA actually dumped a ton of acid into the world and it fundamentally changed the course of American history that would surprise me more than finding out that Dick Cheney was literally on the phone with Mohammad Atta when the hijackers rushed the cockpits.

As far as deliberately trying to create stress states, American culture does seem pretty finely honed to do that and I think there's MIC fingerprints on some of that. On the other hand, if we think of something like mass shootings, a major provoker of social anxiety, unrest, and disagreement -- MIC doesn't really need to invest in secret operations to make all that happen because everyone's crazy down here on everyone's drugs, angels better bring guns, etc. The instability and anxiety currently present in American culture combined with the silliness of being armed to the teeth is a perpetual motion machine for acts of horrific violence in a feedback loop; no need to train operatives as far as I can see, plenty of idiots with AR-15s or bigass trucks happy to go give up their lives to make a dumb, sad little exclamation mark.

It's not that I don't think the MIC is evil and trying to steer all this poo poo, I just don't think they, and the CIA specifically, as as adept or brilliant as some narratives want to give them credit for, and Americans seem really good at killing each other and making each other anxious without much help.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Aug 31, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cached Money posted:

i believe neither, it's easy

personally, i believe both

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sorry I should have been clearer in my wording on that. I didn't mean to imply that all acid or even a lot of it came from the CIA (or other 3 letter agencies). As you say, acid sells itself. What I meant was more in line with your comment on stress points.

They knew how destructive the unrestrained use of hallucinogens would be, having seen it literally happen in their own agency, and took every opportunity to use it and a myriad of other methods to sew chaos within the counterculture. I didn't mean to imply that they were solely responsible or that it was their only tool. They're extremely good at tearing poo poo down and I have no doubts that any and all of their infiltrators encouraged as much hallucinogen use as possible, especially for people who couldn't handle it.

Also, I didn't mean to imply I think hallucinogens are bad. I personally view them like I do any tool. A hammer can be used to pound a nail or pound a skull, the latter use doesn't make a hammer bad. To stretch the analogy further, what the CIA did was do everything possible to make sure that hammers were always around, especially when people got frustrated or angry so what would have been a fistfight is now a hammer fight which is more likely to end up with someone in jail or dead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my favorite thing in this thread is to just google names from people's posts:

quote:

Augustus Owsley Stanley III
Without having graduated high school, he was admitted to the University of Virginia, where he studied engineering for a year. Despite maintaining a 3.4 grade point average with minimal effort, he dropped out because of his disinclination for slide rules and mechanical drawing.[10][11] Belying his dearth of formal education, he secured a position as a test engineer with Rocketdyne in Los Angeles; in this capacity, he worked on the SM-64 Navaho supersonic cruise missile. In June 1956, he enlisted in the United States Air Force as an electronics specialist, serving for 18 months (including stints at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Edwards Air Force Base's Rocket Engine Test Facility) before being discharged in 1958. During his service, he secured an amateur radio license and a general radiotelephone operator license.

Later, inspired by a 1958 performance of the Bolshoi Ballet,

Another one of the funny West Coast hippies who did a stint working on classified missiles, then joined the military for a very short amount of time, visits Moscow (i believe the Bolshoi Ballet didn't tour the USA until after '58) then show up at the center of the COINTELPRO surveilled Berkeley protests.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

well, they did, but so did a lot of other people. I've never seen any connection between Owsley Stanley and the CIA and I'd be pretty incredulous unless there was really hard data;

The closest i ever saw was Tim Scully, who worked directly with Owsley as a Grateful dead sound engineer and later making acid, (maybe) posted himself on Reddit in response to a Q&A saying he worked as a contractor for the CIA but for a later project, not acid

nut
Jul 30, 2019

flooding a country with acid is really different than the overt scientific experimentation to try and alter mental states with essentially acid torture as per mk. The financial incentive alone is enough to motivate intelligence involvement in lsd, but u also had losers like kesey going around trying to be the face of acid saying you shouldn't care about the vietnam war to students at berkeley lol

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Ericsson sucks, they stole phone technology and use it like a band of monkeys playing with matches.

http://everything.sucks/Ericsson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

on one occasion, Garcia and Weir were forced to intervene when Stanley provoked Chelsea Clinton's Secret Service detail as he attempted to conduct business with the then-First Daughter.[31]