Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I listened to the stories where Hex dies and comes back as bad Hex a while ago and I didn't really care enough to run down how it turns out. Hex was a pretty good companion but I feel like his character arc was done by that point and this change up was not doing anything for me.

That arc is loving atrocious. It's only four stories long, with three writers, but it can't maintain continuity from story to story -- even between the two stories written by the same writer.

OldMemes posted:

On a related note, Veklin is the most underrated Time Lord.

But isn't Veklin, you know, a fascist?

Edit; just going off recent discussion, not specifically aimed at you friendo, buuuut...

BF are in kind of a weird position -- on the one hand, they want to do stories that decry fascism, eugenics, etc. and there's a recent story that handles this material with the subtlety of an elephant gun, letting the viewer know exactly what they should think about these kinds of people and their arguments. But at the same time they've created two (three tbh) separate ranges where near all, if not all, of the regulars are either fascists or actively employed in their support. Adele Anderson's recurring timelord, Tamasan, has a whole speech where she goes on about how much she hates the Thals (he war allies) and thinks the entire species is uppity for wanting to be served meals on the same spaceship as her people, and she's meant to be, I dunno, morally grey or whatever.

Klein, at the very least, is expressly an antagonist in her stories, and the five stories that make up her initial arc are expressly, textually, about fascism -- both as a general purpose ideology and as a discussion of Nazism and its continued effects down the years.

Tamasan, Veklin, Ollistra, Rasmus, and pretty much every original timelord figure from this Time War period are all dyed in the wool fash -- which is what you'd expect, sure, except that these stories don't seem to make much of an effort to address these ideas head on. (I'm pretty sure not a single story even uses the word fascism.)

Seeing the Time Lords positioned as antiheroes or whatever -- an entire supporting cast of antiheroes whose central flaw is that they like slavery, vivisection, totalitarism and crushing the lesser races -- is something I find more morally dubious than an arc about why there's no point in tolerating Nazis, particularly since their villainy is often expressed through this amorphous idea of "war" being "bad", rather than an inevitable end point stemming from their internal ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Klein, at the very least, is expressly an antagonist in her stories, and the five stories that make up her initial arc are expressly, textually, about fascism -- both as a general purpose ideology and as a discussion of Nazism and its continued effects down the years.

Tamasan, Veklin, Ollistra, Rasmus, and pretty much every original timelord figure from this Time War period are all dyed in the wool fash -- which is what you'd expect, sure, except that these stories don't seem to make much of an effort to address these ideas head on. (I'm pretty sure not a single story even uses the word fascism.)

As far as I can remember I've only listened to the War Doctor stories in the stuff BF has done regarding the Time War, so the only name I really recognize or that stands out for me there is Ollistra. She was pretty much written as the antagonist supporting role to the War Doctor, who constantly decried her actions even as he beat himself up for the part he was playing in the whole mess. I can't speak to the others, but 7 barely does any of that with Klein, at least in the stories I've heard so far. He'll tell her that fascism/the Nazis were wrong, but then she'll be make reference at points to truly horrible ideas and the Doctor's reaction is usually just a tut-tut or a wry,"Oh really?" and she's far too monstrous not to be getting constantly called out on how horrible she is. Great that he wants to show her more things and expand her understanding of other people/places, but the soft touch he gives for somebody who can only bring herself to say that Mengele was "misguided" in his "enthusiasm" is just a bridge too far for me.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I remember listening to the Klein trilogy in 2011-12 or whatever and enjoying them a lot at the time. Tracey Childs is always excellent, and the hook of having the Doctor travel with a companion who is so diametrically opposed to him in how she conceives of the world and morality is, at least conceptually, really interesting. But thinking back, it is mostly treated as an intellectual excercise. That's not to say the audios are so tone-deaf as to treat Klein and the Doctor as morally equivalent in any way - she is as convinced of her worldview as the Doctor is of his, and she is given a background that goes some way of explaining why she's the way she is, but I don't think we're ever supposed to consider her perspective justifiable. Still, their conflict (at least in the first two parts) remains mostly on the level of snappy tête-à-tête, where it's easy to forget that one of the ideologies under consideration ends with people dead and in work camps, and the other, you know, doesn't.

Spoilers for The Architects of History (not much you wouldn't know from having heard UNIT: Dominion, but still):

I don't remember all the details but I don't think the Doctor's attempts to redeem her amount to much, at least when it comes to her original incarnation. She is unquestionably a villain throughout the final part. She is only "redeemed" by having the entirety of her personal history changed, so that she grows up in a completely different environment and ends up essentially a totally different person.

It's a bit of a cheat, really, and I don't know if it says anything about deradicalisation or whatever that would be applicable to the real world. You could also view that in parallel with Klein's own actions in Architects - the only way she is able to make Space Nazism work in any sustained fashion is by constantly cheating and rewriting history, and the only way the Doctor is eventually able to de-Nazify her is by rewriting history so that she was never a Nazi in the first place.

Again, I found this really cool ten years ago, but thinking about it now it's just a bit frustrating. The audios seem to admit that Klein can't just simply be taught the error of her ways because what makes someone a fascist is more complicated than that, which I take to ultimately mean that attempting to civilly debate actual Nazis (with the expectation of having them change the entirety of their worldview at the drop of a hat) is a fool's errand, as evidenced by the Doctor's catastrophic failure in trying just that. At the same time, the trilogy does end with the Nazi villain no longer a fascist and integrated into society, which leads me to expect that it has something to say about what can be done instead. And I don't know what that something is if all the unbreakable rules of space and time had to be broken multiple times for that to happen. The Klein trilogy sets up the question of how we should engage with and overcome fascist ideology in our midst, and in the end, its answer is "have a time machine". That's maybe fine when you're playing with hypotheticals in the realm of SF, but in 2022 when these are actual questions we have to ask ourselves in the real world, that's less than nothing.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://averylychee.neocities.org/doctor-who/audio-guide/

Hey has anyone used this particular Big Finish audio guide before? Through skimming it I think I broadly agree with what the author considers 'essential' and 'stand-alone/skippable'. I think I listened to about 200 of the audios years ago but I don't think I'd like just starting where I left off since I don't really remember a lot and I'd like to revisit some of the more plot-critical stuff. I've got a lot to go through, admittedly, but this seems like a good guide so I can skip the ones I need to. (Needless to say I was skipping Minuet in Hell anyway).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

As far as I can remember I've only listened to the War Doctor stories in the stuff BF has done regarding the Time War, so the only name I really recognize or that stands out for me there is Ollistra. She was pretty much written as the antagonist supporting role to the War Doctor, who constantly decried her actions even as he beat himself up for the part he was playing in the whole mess. I can't speak to the others, but 7 barely does any of that with Klein, at least in the stories I've heard so far. He'll tell her that fascism/the Nazis were wrong, but then she'll be make reference at points to truly horrible ideas and the Doctor's reaction is usually just a tut-tut or a wry,"Oh really?" and she's far too monstrous not to be getting constantly called out on how horrible she is. Great that he wants to show her more things and expand her understanding of other people/places, but the soft touch he gives for somebody who can only bring herself to say that Mengele was "misguided" in his "enthusiasm" is just a bridge too far for me.

I've a very strong memory of Briggs talking about how he sees Ollistra as the War Doctor's "companion" -- and though I'm guessing you've not heard it yet, the character just spent a couple of stories threatening to send Leela off for human experimentation. The War Doctor might soap box about these things sometimes, but ultimately he still does what Ollistra, Rassilon, et. al. want. He could leave, he could stage a coup, he could even try the softly softly approach that McCoy favoured, but instead he keeps going on missions for them, building them death machines, etc. and then feeling bad when it turns out that his bosses are lying psychopaths who love murdering other races.

Again, like, I get where you're coming from with Klein, but she was introduced with the clear understanding that she would be a villain, and then reintroduced for a three release story arc where it was again understood that she'd be defeated at the end of those stories (and then she was brought back several times because money). The second arc, the one you're almost done with now, is expressly about how attempting to tolerate people like her is dangerous. And, again, I get that the arc is uncomfortable and maybe you don't think it has much pedagogical value, but I think it's clearly attempting to say something interesting.

On the other hand, I get the sense that the War Council characters are meant to be more ambiguous figures, but ultimately I think could be a problem with clarity of the overall narrative (I've discussed my reasons in this post and above). If Veklin is the kind of character someone can think is secretly awesome or whatever, rather than too fascist to be worth admiring, then in this case I'm tempted to put the blame on the story rather than the listener.

Forktoss posted:

I remember listening to the Klein trilogy in 2011-12 or whatever and enjoying them a lot at the time. Tracey Childs is always excellent, and the hook of having the Doctor travel with a companion who is so diametrically opposed to him in how she conceives of the world and morality is, at least conceptually, really interesting. But thinking back, it is mostly treated as an intellectual excercise. That's not to say the audios are so tone-deaf as to treat Klein and the Doctor as morally equivalent in any way - she is as convinced of her worldview as the Doctor is of his, and she is given a background that goes some way of explaining why she's the way she is, but I don't think we're ever supposed to consider her perspective justifiable. Still, their conflict (at least in the first two parts) remains mostly on the level of snappy tête-à-tête, where it's easy to forget that one of the ideologies under consideration ends with people dead and in work camps, and the other, you know, doesn't.

Spoilers for The Architects of History (not much you wouldn't know from having heard UNIT: Dominion, but still):

I don't remember all the details but I don't think the Doctor's attempts to redeem her amount to much, at least when it comes to her original incarnation. She is unquestionably a villain throughout the final part. She is only "redeemed" by having the entirety of her personal history changed, so that she grows up in a completely different environment and ends up essentially a totally different person.

It's a bit of a cheat, really, and I don't know if it says anything about deradicalisation or whatever that would be applicable to the real world. You could also view that in parallel with Klein's own actions in Architects - the only way she is able to make Space Nazism work in any sustained fashion is by constantly cheating and rewriting history, and the only way the Doctor is eventually able to de-Nazify her is by rewriting history so that she was never a Nazi in the first place.

Again, I found this really cool ten years ago, but thinking about it now it's just a bit frustrating. The audios seem to admit that Klein can't just simply be taught the error of her ways because what makes someone a fascist is more complicated than that, which I take to ultimately mean that attempting to civilly debate actual Nazis (with the expectation of having them change the entirety of their worldview at the drop of a hat) is a fool's errand, as evidenced by the Doctor's catastrophic failure in trying just that. At the same time, the trilogy does end with the Nazi villain no longer a fascist and integrated into society, which leads me to expect that it has something to say about what can be done instead. And I don't know what that something is if all the unbreakable rules of space and time had to be broken multiple times for that to happen. The Klein trilogy sets up the question of how we should engage with and overcome fascist ideology in our midst, and in the end, its answer is "have a time machine". That's maybe fine when you're playing with hypotheticals in the realm of SF, but in 2022 when these are actual questions we have to ask ourselves in the real world, that's less than nothing.

Yeah, these are roughly my feelings as well -- barring the wonky bit of history where Klein talks about how civilised the British colonisation of Africa was. Comparatively better, probably, but man.

I think the arc is also trying to make a point that Klein's utopia is ultimately a self-defeating state, and given enough rope she'd inevitably end up defeating herself. Hence the (main) Doctor's surprisingly passive actions throughout all three stories. I don't agree with this, partly because it's not really true of these stories, or a remotely useful strategy in the real world. But I suspect it could account for some of the frustrations Jerusalem is feeling, I dunno.

Crapilicious posted:

https://averylychee.neocities.org/doctor-who/audio-guide/

Hey has anyone used this particular Big Finish audio guide before? Through skimming it I think I broadly agree with what the author considers 'essential' and 'stand-alone/skippable'. I think I listened to about 200 of the audios years ago but I don't think I'd like just starting where I left off since I don't really remember a lot and I'd like to revisit some of the more plot-critical stuff. I've got a lot to go through, admittedly, but this seems like a good guide so I can skip the ones I need to. (Needless to say I was skipping Minuet in Hell anyway).

It listed The Genocide Machine as "essential" because it gets a single line name checked in uhhh I think it's Time Of The Daleks, and not because it introduces a heavily recurring character who turned up in about twenty different releases, so I don't think it's particularly useful, sorry. :(

Meanwhile, both Minuet In Hell and Nekromanetia are actually plot essential in their own way, featuring the departure of recurring characters, but they're not listed as such on the site. Aaaaand it's out of date too -- for instance, Sword of Orion is an arc story now. As is Doctor Who (and the Pirates) and The Dark Flame, and --

Edit: Just now reread your original post and that's not exactly what you're asking. But IMO I'd just listen to what you want to; after the first two hundo stories or so (loving hell) mostly everything is very obviously connected, particularly if you listen linearly. Also that guide gets harder to follow the longer it goes, and seems to give up around 2008, so I unno

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 29, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Doctor's attitude with regards Klien is his normal code of morals and expectations being clouded by guilt. His and Ace's negligence brought her timeline into being, and Schmidt seduced and manipulated her as a disposable resource to clean up his own mess before he annihilated her entire reality. I think the trilogy is far more interested in McCoy's performance than in actually interrogating the Nazis.

Unfortunately, "not interrogating the nazis" hasn't aged as well as BF would probably like, and McCoy is not the strongest Doctor in BF's stable from a performance standpoint, so the whole trilogy kind of hangs on the one episode of Klien's Story

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

[*] No Seriously, gently caress Nazis. Mentioned in A Thousand Tiny Wings, but the climate has changed so much since this story came out (2010) that it feels near impossible for me to give the benefit of the doubt to the story/character arc that Big Finish are trying to tell.

I listened to The Fearmonger the other day and it has the same problem that a story about fascism written in a time when they're easily dismissed jokes becomes a bit unpleasant in the face of actual fascism on the march. At least The Fearmonger is about fascism being exploitative and lovely, it's just got the problem that the message is "polite nudging is the correct answer to fascism; you can oppose it, but don't oppose it too hard" which a lot of material from the 90's and 2000's had.

Yeah, Klein's the villain and she keeps digger her hole deeper until her timeline gets wiped and they keep the actress around playing an alternate version who is not a Nazi.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Ollistra is ruthless, but not outright evil - she rejects the Doom Coalition's plan for universal genocide, but sees the ends as justifying the means. She does help the War Doctor protect innocent planets, even if she'd rather be focusing on the bigger picture. She's an interesting character. John Hurt and Jacqueline Pearce played off each other so well. The War Doctor is increasingly disgusted by this 'win at all costs' mentality.

With Klein, it's strange that the Time Lords don't intervene until she's tied her own timeline in knots. The Doctor's relationship with her is complex - he feels guilty for creating her, and wants to - somewhat naively for this incarnation - show her that there are better ways than fascism. But Klein is too far gone to feel guilt or remorse. She can't be saved, only cut out of reality to save it from her. Survival of the Fittest is the Doctor showing her that there are different, better ways of living, and how wonderfully diverse and wide the universe is. And she rejects it.

When she gets remade into the main universe not-a-Nazi version, she's horrified to hear about her counterpart, and it drives her to do better.

Apparently Klein was originally going to be revealed to be the head of The Forge, fun fact.

It's a rare thing to have a companion who has such a different mortality to the Doctor. Turlough has shades of grey, and C'rizz is fairly villainous, sure, but Klein being outright evil is a very different dynamic, and she suffers the consequences for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Ollistra is ruthless, but not outright evil - she rejects the Doom Coalition's plan for universal genocide, but sees the ends as justifying the means. She does help the War Doctor protect innocent planets, even if she'd rather be focusing on the bigger picture. She's an interesting character. John Hurt and Jacqueline Pearce played off each other so well. The War Doctor is increasingly disgusted by this 'win at all costs' mentality.

Ollistra is a great character because she's what the Time Lords should be: imperious, arrogant, ruthless and petty like a bureaucrat loving everything over for the sake of a slightly better office. She'd a lord of time and she will lord it over everyone. And while she has to consistently lose since she's inevitably the antagonist in any story she appears in, she's not always presented as a total gently caress up (though there are way too many stories of her going "This thing that isn't really that different from what you'd find in most Doctor Who stories is the superweapon that will single handedly win the war as long as we don't lose control of it! Whoops, lost control of it!"). And Pearce's performance is consistently great even in weaker stories. She's one of the better things that Big Finish has added to Doctor Who.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

I suspect the most recent War Council set is shading my opinion of the character considerably, but no, the character is very definitely evil now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Actively avoiding the Architects of History spoilers for now as I plan to listen to it in the next day or two, but even with the animosity between the Doctor and Klein in UNIT: Dominion I have a hard time seeing how we go from the end of Survival of the Fittest to that in only one story!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I listened to The Fearmonger the other day and it has the same problem that a story about fascism written in a time when they're easily dismissed jokes becomes a bit unpleasant in the face of actual fascism on the march. At least The Fearmonger is about fascism being exploitative and lovely, it's just got the problem that the message is "polite nudging is the correct answer to fascism; you can oppose it, but don't oppose it too hard" which a lot of material from the 90's and 2000's had.

Jubilee has some interesting things to say on this subject.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Gallifrey is in a state of crisis, facing destruction at the hands of an overwhelming enemy. And the Doctor is involved in three different incarnations - each caught up in a deadly adventure, scattered across time and space. The web of time is threatened - and someone wants the Doctor dead.

The three incarnations of the Doctor must join together to set time back on the right track - but in doing so, will they unleash a still greater threat?

Peter Davison is the Doctor, and Colin Baker is the Doctor, and Sylvester McCoy is the Doctor, in The Sirens of Time.

Synopsis - Big Finish gets its feet wet with The Sirens of Time, but it would take a few serials for them to find their footing, sacrificing what could have been an interesting multi-Doctor story for a bland paint-by-numbers story. 2/5.

Jerusalem posted:

It's not a bad story, it's just not well executed. It's worth a listen if only to marvel at how far they've come since they started, and it's always neat to hear more of Davison, Baker and McCoy. If I'd been aware of Big Finish back during the wilderness years I can't even begin to imagine how I'd have reacted to discovering there was NEW Doctor Who featuring the original actors, and it's wonderful to be in a position now where it's just one of many hundreds of new stories whether on audio or back on television where it belongs.

Crap Re-Listening: Monthly Adventures #001, The Sirens of Time

I remember back when I was a noob in this thread all those years ago, being introduced into the full pantheon of secrets and mysteries that is Doctor Who canon by the learned masters CobiWann and Jerusalem through their reviews of Big Finish audios. Up until I happened to read this thread I had no idea the audios existed, and so was keen to start listening.

The Sirens of Time, since I always listen to things chronologically, was the first one I listened to. And it baffled me completely. I was initially hooked by the idea that the three different Doctors were on their own adventures before getting mixed in to something together, but the whole concept and the villain.. just fell flat. Why were these people suddenly more powerful than the Time Lords, who while being bureaucratic and megalomaniacal generally are not this stupid? Temperon? Sirens of Time? It was all a bit slipshod. Just purely based on my impression of that, I should have dropped the audios altogether and not listened to another minute of them, no matter what the Grand Grognards of Goon Who said.

But I didn't. Why? Five words.

Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker.

Having watched Old Who as a kid partially in reruns and largely more familiar with New Who as a fully functioning adult, I didn't really have much an impression of Six and Seven. But these audios really did show why they had a following to this day. They acted their hearts out in the middle of this baffling script and I wanted to hear more of it.

Peter Davison wasn't bad, but he was just kind of *there*. As others say, he does get better but it took him a lot longer to find his groove than the other two.

So I relistened to it, and I was somehow able to follow the plot more. I'd forgotten the fine detail and even the reveal of the villains, but maybe I was paying more attention this time around. To be fair, my first listen occurred in buses, taxis and on walks to work in Jiangsu Province, China about eight years ago so perhaps I was a bit distracted.

But it was still all over the place, and I know how much better they can do, and did do. So I'll give them half a point as interest.

Original Crap Score: 2/5
Re-Listened Crap Score: 2.5/5

Next up, the return of Vislor Turlough and Cricket Man in: Monthly Adventures #002, Phantasmagoria.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crapilicious posted:

They acted their hearts out in the middle of this baffling script and I wanted to hear more of it.

The true power of the Doctor('s actors) :hmmyes:

Wonderful chap.... all of them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/AnthonyHopkins/status/1563930879780585473?s=20&t=ydM_ZHkKGNxxS_4OFlebug

re: The Sirens of Time

For me, one of the funniest stories to come out about the making of this is during the initial pitch meeting with potential BF writers, Jason Haigh-Ellery and Gary Russell said Nick Briggs would write the first story (the aforementioned Sirens), due to the schedule they were on an his experience in writing/directing audio.

Well, Paul Cornell was there, and was dick to Briggs afterwards because he felt that it should've been one of the Virgin New Adventures writers, and not Briggs, because he hadn't "earned it". And when Cornell finally did deliver a script, it was "The Shadow of the Scourge", one of the worst BF stories.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 31, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Briggs can write a story but so many of his doctor who ones are extremely hit or miss, paired with the fact he doesn't take criticism well at all I tend to largely avoid them.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

Briggs can write a story but so many of his doctor who ones are extremely hit or miss, paired with the fact he doesn't take criticism well at all I tend to largely avoid them.

Any more information on this? Did he blow up on Twitter about something?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Confusedslight posted:

Briggs can write a story

Let's not say things we can't take back

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I can't track them down at the moment but theres been multiple times over the years of him giving middling reviews a sort of a telling off and it's just left a bad taste in my mouth. If someone else can co operate this that would be much appreciated.

Don't get me wrong there is stuff he does that I quite like! Dalek empire comes to mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Space Sharks vs. Moon Nazis.

Long Synopsis: In 2044, a burgeoning Nazi Empire continues to grow thanks to the constant temporal interference of Elizabeth Klein. The Doctor is held prisoner on the moon, seemingly unconcerned by his torture. When The Selachians, shark-like alien monsters, attack the moon without warning in spite of Klein's advanced knowledge of the future, she discovers that she's now powerless to escape and her only hope is the Doctor, who she suspects of orchestrating everything.

What's Good:
  • Tracey Childs/Klein. I've complained a lot about this trilogy, but it's not a knock on Tracey Childs herself. She's performing the role as written, and Klein herself is written in a way that makes perfect sense for her character. Her reasoning, her scene of scope, her commitment to her "cause", they're all limited and built on fallacies but that is perfectly in keeping with the kind of person she is supposed to be. Her intelligence and talent don't prevent her from being blinkered, and in fact actually simply make her a far more competent monster. That competence/monstrousness is contrasted well with her second, Major Richter, and the commandant Tendexter, who aren't as smart as her but who both are so thoroughly committed to their horrible ideas that they were raised in that it makes them dangerous/despicable in wholly different ways.

• The System Cannot Hold. Klein's "empire", her "glorious" Reich.... is a failure. She's rebuilt it dozens, scores, hundreds, perhaps thousands of times. It never works. Every time she sets things up so the Nazis win and eventually build a Galactic Empire. Every time they're defeated or there is a failure or a problem. Every time she uses her stolen TARDIS to go back and use that future knowledge to avoid that problem.... and then something new happens. Part of the issue, in fact, is that she allows perfect to be the enemy of "good", she wants a future where there are ZERO failures, ZERO setbacks, because she's wrapped up so much of her identity in the notion that her way is the right way and if she can just force her way past the mistakes eventually everything is going to turn out great. She's also insistent constantly to the Doctor that he has no right to say the alternate timeline he helped accidentally create and then orchestrated to never exist was the "wrong" one, and yet her attempts to rebuild it never work, and the Doctor's warning that time has a habit of "self-correcting" makes it obvious - if frustratingly never actually verbalized - that the Nazis/fascism is absolutely "wrong" and efforts to force it are doomed to failure.

• The Best Friend That Never Was. There's a character who largely exists in this story to make sure all the central characters end up where they need to be with the information they need to have, none of which any of them could have had AND had events turn out the way they did without some kind of intermediary. Sure it's a bit of a writer's crutch, Steve Lyons admitting the character is basically there to provide that exposition, but it results in a rather effective moment. When the Doctor and Klein eventually end up reunited at the TARDIS, Klein has come prepared with a big speech to convince the Doctor to abandon his close friend and ally, insisting that she is dead but extolling her heroic sacrifice without mentioning she was the one who threw her to the (literal!) sharks. That her big speech ends with the Doctor's response being "....who? :confused:" is just perfectly realized, and utterly devastating.

What's Not:

• Perhaps.... ve are not so different, you and I. gently caress Nazis. gently caress them. gently caress them right in the ear. gently caress this false equivalence bullshit especially. I've complained frequently and loudly about the conceit of this trilogy, about the Doctor's softly-softly approach to Klein, and especially about his baffling lack of silence or moral outrage for the casually horrific things she endorses. While it's true that there is an interesting germ of an idea - and a lot has changed culturally in a decade, sadly - and potential to explore the moral conundrum of the Doctor feeling guilt for "creating" Klein in the first place... just gently caress it and gently caress Nazis in particular.

The entire thing is treated like an intellectual exercise, and the Doctor's own personal motivations/guilt never feel particularly pressing, particularly as they're mostly guessed at/assumed/voiced by Klein herself. Klein and later others constantly refer to the Doctor as a hypocrite who is just as bad as them, an accusation he either leaves unchallenged or frustratingly appears to agree with. At one point he even unbelievably tells Klein - who endorses human experimentation, forced labor camps, eugenics, torture, mass executions etc - that he's never been able to fault her logic! She lambasts the Doctor for apparently arranging the invasion of the moon by the Selachians, pointing out it will result in mass death , and the reveal (which SHE makes, not the Doctor!) at the end of the episode that his "new" TARDIS is actually an execution machine to wipe her backwards and forwards out of time makes him the greatest monster of all and no different to her just makes me want to flip a table.

At no point does Klein ever learn or grow at all. The story THINKS she does but it is never earned, and up to the last she is just a monstrous and evil person who is still convinced she can use time travel to fix this latest "setback" and rebuild her fascist empire all over again. There are lines in the episode that seem to refer to interactions/character growth that never actually happened. Sure, the scenes they're referring to happened, but they weren't the big, life-changing moments the story appears to later on think they were. The Doctor's taunting about Klein's lost lover, for example, or the very obvious parallels between the Selachians and the Nazis and their methods. Intellectually, you can see what the story was going for... they just didn't get there, but they clearly think they did.

• Having Your Cake and Eating It Too. The story also appears loath to actually address the reality of what fascism would be like in reality. Sometimes demonstrating the mundane elements of fascism has its place but not here in a story that culminates a trilogy of this monster trying to create just this society. There are some early comments made about genetic purity, the odd line here and there about the color of a person's eyes dictating their job prospects etc, but largely this could just be any vaguely authoritarian space colony. The story avoids mentioning Nazis almost entirely, or even fascism, and puts the bulk of the the front-and-center superiority nonsense into the mouths of the Selachians. Tendexter as the Commandant is bizarrely written, I think his final moments are supposed to be heroic, and earlier in the story he is devastated at the idea of random humans being murdered in the the population he apparently rules over with an iron fist and has had no qualms with "disappearing" as needed in the past. For a story where we are supposed to see just how monstrous Klein's preferred future would be, they take too light a touch, and the attempt to offer a street level view of the reality through the characters of Rachel and Sam never really lands.

• Doctor Who? In addition to all of that, the story makes the bizarre decision to have the Doctor be both the Doctor from the first two stories AND another version of the Doctor from the rewritten reality. As a result, the truth of the Doctor's planning is never quite understood, even by himself. It also both undercuts the message about the dangers of fascism AND removes an opportunity to show the clearest difference between the Doctor and Klein there could be. The idea appears to be that in this rewritten reality, the Doctor has been summoned to presumably Gallifrey and tasked with eliminating the temporal disaster he inadvertently created, and in a dark turn has decided the brutal deaths of billions to get Klein into his Execution TARDIS is just fine because the result will be that they never existed in the first place. By having the Doctor then be overwritten by the Doctor from the first two stories in the trilogy means that he's fumbling in the dark trying to figure out what his alternate self was planning, presuming much like the listener that he could never allow himself to be so callous and that he must have had some trick up his sleeve.... and no, he never did. The missed opportunity here in my mind would have been to have the alternate Doctor admit that he allowed himself to do these horrible things just like Klein did, but unlike her he is prepared to face the consequences by wiping himself out of existence as well, while her own rebuilding of the Galactic Empire each time saw her coldly allowing others to die knowing that she herself was protected. The execution chamber in that case wouldn't be for just Klein, but for himself too, a death he willingly took because he knows the restored timeline that new versions of both himself and Klein would find themselves in was the way things SHOULD be.

• Goodbye Klein, Hello Klein. The story ends with much the same problem. After Klein - who has still learned nothing and is still a monster - sneers at the Doctor that she intends to make her last moments as petty as possible so that he has to get his hands dirty, we jump back to 1962 where Klein meets the Doctor for the first time. She's working at UNIT, the Doctor knows her but she doesn't know him, and he namedrops Colditz just to get a sense on if this new version of her has any residual alternate version memories. The idea is supposed to be that everything worked out, that the ends justified the means after all, but of course that leaves unanswered the questions that the Doctor himself asked during the story: how could he have allowed himself to let people suffer and die in the most horrible ways without seemingly any concern whatsoever? His alternate self left poor Rachel all alone, even if his plan had worked exactly as he intended he was instigating a process that would cause her never to have existed. How much of this was the Doctor's usual manipulations and how much is left to guesswork due to him being overwritten by a version that never lived through all the machinations he undertook after Klein abandoned him to the Vrill? Showing that this Klein is apparently one of the "good guys" now basically seems to be there to argue that the ends justified the means, and that was the mentality that the Nazi Klein took to her own "work". She told the Doctor that he was no different to her, a hypocrite who did the same things as her but had the gall to call her the monster. gently caress this story for trying to suggest in any way that she was right, because she was a loving Nazi, she doesn't get to make any kind of judgment calls on what is right and wrong.

Final Thoughts:

The Architects of History can't stand alone, and it doesn't. It's the culmination of a trilogy, and I didn't find it a satisfying one. The Nazi bullshit didn't leave me cold, it left me pissed off and frustrated, and none of the redeeming features of this story or the trilogy in general could overwhelm that. Even outside of the trilogy, introducing a brand new companion who never was, who never interacts with the Doctor (which is actually effectively done) and then is gone makes this not exactly a great story to recommend to anybody without at least 3 other stories to listen to first to make sense of it all. The Space Sharks are the writer's own pet creation from some books he wrote, and while they nicely fit his original idea - he wanted aliens that might have appeared in enthusiastic but low-budgeted episodes from the 2nd Doctor's run - as Nazi parallels/a legitimate threat they fall flat. The Daleks are name-dropped in this story and the previous, and the notion that Klein's piddly little human empire defeated the Daleks but can't deal with some bipedal sharks in water-suits is ridiculous. What a missed opportunity for Klein to encounter the horror of purestrain fascism via the Daleks and realize just how horrifying the perfect realization of her dream would look like as seen through them. They at least try to close up every apparent loophole with at least a line or a reference, though sometimes you have to fill in the blanks yourself: I guess Klein's fate means the Doctor's destroyed TARDIS is restored and he ends up back there with full memory of everything that happened? They kind of gloss over the fact he destroys his own TARDIS without the slightest reaction. Tracey Childs puts in a good performance, McCoy is at his best when he's toying with his captors and making them belatedly realize just how little power/control they had over him etc but... well, no, it's not a good story. I might have felt differently in 2010, but I suspect while I wouldn't have reacted as strongly to A Thousand Tiny Wings and Survival of the Fittest, I still wouldn't have enjoyed THIS story regardless. As the capstone to a trilogy, it's unsatisfying, and I'm relieved to have it behind me now.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 31, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Crapilicious posted:

Any more information on this? Did he blow up on Twitter about something?

I only remember the one incident -- and tbh I suspect there's actually only been the one-- where he, and two other BF writers publicly criticised a reviewer on the Facebook page for leaving a review that was, famously put, "a bit mean". And then he went on his podcast after and kept digging his grave over it all.

Said review gave the story 7/10.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

re: The Sirens of Time

For me, one of the funniest stories to come out about the making of this is during the initial pitch meeting with potential BF writers, Jason Haigh-Ellery and Gary Russell said Nick Briggs would write the first story (the aforementioned Sirens), due to the schedule they were on an his experience in writing/directing audio.

Well, Paul Cornell was there, and was dick to Briggs afterwards because he felt that it should've been one of the Virgin New Adventures writers, and not Briggs, because he hadn't "earned it". And when Cornell finally did deliver a script, it was "The Shadow of the Scourge", one of the worst BF stories.

Oh great, The Shadow of the Scourge is the next story on my list. :negative:

McCoy's stories have been a bit down my priority list for Big Finish and I grabbed the Hex stuff first. So it's only in the past few months that I filled in the early McCoy stories that weren't considered top tier and now I'm working my way through those.

And Sirens of Time is a stinker. It's not "God, why the gently caress did they think it was okay to release this?!" awful, but I listened to again a few months ago and could tell you nothing about the story without a reminder.

Confusedslight posted:

If I see Briggs wrote the story or has multiple stories in a box set, I go, "Let's see what else they have."

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 31, 2022

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, The Architects of History doesn't quite show the horrors of an intergalactic Nazi regime, having them being a more generic evil empire, but its an effective story. The Doctor can't fix Klein, he has to rip her out of the universe and remake her totally.

Today's story was Love and War, one of the Virgin New Adventure adaptations, which is the story in which The Doctor first meets Bernice Summerfield - and audios featuring the Doctor and Benny have been oddly rare. It's an interesting one, because you have to look at it as both a story on its own merits, as well as the context of its creation.

Love and War is a good story. The meeting between Benny and the Doctor feels natural, the villains feel like a mix between 70s Who and nu-Who, and it puts Ace through the emotional wringer (Sophie Aldred sounds like she's on the verge of breaking down at some points). There's a few VERY 90s elements, like a virtual reality called Puterspace, and hippies with psychic powers from a failed army experiment. There's a few slightly flat performances from some of the more minor characters, but this is a very good meeting story for the Doctor and Benny.

This story was part of Big Finish's short lived 'Novel Adaptation' range, which adapted the long out of print Virgin New Adventures into audio, before they were cancelled due to middling sales. Big Finish have always had a strange relationship with the Virgin New Adventures: there's a few stories explicitly set in this era, and they've adopted a few elements (Benny, Romana as President), but a lot of elements, especially the characterization of 7 and Ace, are radically different. You can explain inconsistencies away in Benny's timeline through Irving Braxiatel's inference in her timeline, but they're strikingly different. I was assuming that they'd alter the ending to fit better into Big Finish continuity, but Ace still leaves. Lisa Bowerman has a really interesting discussion in the Behind the Scenes about how this audio doesn't really fit into Big Finish's version of the characters.

It's an interesting story. Different in many ways, in terms of tone and feel, but interesting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Love and War is, to this day, the only BF Who story I couldn't finish.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Really? It's a decent story, even with the different feel. Big Finish have done worse ones, and its worth sticking with due to the performance from the leads.

Today's story is Nightshade, another one from the Novel Adaptation range. Based on a book from Mark Gatiss, this is much more straight forward than Love and War, and could easily be a main range story if it was a four parter. An actor from a Quartermass pastiche is retired in a small village, with a monster that feeds on memories, especially nostalgia. The Doctor is somewhat morose at the start, feeling guilty about Susan, and even thinking about retiring or returning to Gallifrey.

It's that feeling of regret that lingers over this story, and it's effective. Susan has always been a bit of a mystery hanging over the series, and to see the Doctor thinking back about his relationship with her, especially her departure from the TARDIS, is interesting to explore. Apparently there's a big change to the ending, which leaves the final scene maybe a bit unsatisfying, but it works. It's a bit of a morose story, and it would have been nice to play the Quartermass stuff up more, but it's interesting to see a more quiet, introverted moment for 7, with Ace being the more proactive one for most of the story.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 1, 2022

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

Same here, at least I can't think of any others I have abandoned and never returned to. It just never hooked me and felt "off" - but I'm also very very naive on Virgin NA stuff.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

McGann posted:

Same here, at least I can't think of any others I have abandoned and never returned to. It just never hooked me and felt "off" - but I'm also very very naive on Virgin NA stuff.

I think the biggest issue is that its not adapted to fit the normal Big Finish canon and versions of Ace and The Doctor, instead its adapted to audio, but still in the VNA version of canon. Rework the ending and Ace and it'd go from good to great.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was rereading the Virgin NAs for the first time since they came out a few years back and writing reviews in an earlier iteration of this thread. Didn't get far, because life got too busy. I do remember Nightshade being absolutely fantastic.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Personally I don't regard the VNAs as canon, Benny aside, (or the EDA books either tbh) but the BBC or Big Finish should release some as audio books. If full cast plays weren't selling enough, audiobooks at least preserve them, like the BBC has done with the target novelizations. If they're worried about them not being family friendly, just put a disclaimer on them?

The franchise's history itself shows the importance of preserving old media and keeping it accessible, and I think Big Finish are doing it with some of thier prose, since they aren't allowed to sell Doctor Who books anymore. I'm surprised they haven't released their old short trips books on audio yet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

While I finished it, it was not a story I liked so I'm always surprised that people rate it highly. My guess is it's people who liked the book.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The NAs own. :colbert:

Also Love and War is totally part of BF's stupid convoluted unclear very bad plot arc for Ace. They get referenced all the time!

I think they just referenced them again in some of the Eccleston stories that just came out. As in a full on super explicit reference to Lungbarrow.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So what I'm hearing is that I was right to stop paying attention to BF a decade ago

Edit: I only half-kid, I will one day get around to listen to the War Doctor and War Master audios because I love the respective actors so much, while recognizing that caring about canon is a fool's game

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 1, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The NAs own. :colbert:

Also Love and War is totally part of BF's stupid convoluted unclear very bad plot arc for Ace. They get referenced all the time!

I think they just referenced them again in some of the Eccleston stories that just came out. As in a full on super explicit reference to Lungbarrow.

The LOOMS LIVE!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Astroman posted:

I was rereading the Virgin NAs for the first time since they came out a few years back and writing reviews in an earlier iteration of this thread. Didn't get far, because life got too busy. I do remember Nightshade being absolutely fantastic.

I'm still cracking through a selection of the NAs, having expanded my pull after initially wanting to read maybe a dozen or so. It's really fascinating having actual 90s Doctor Who; they feel like a more appropriate continuation of the TV show than the audios, which as good as some of the early ones are, are explicitly "Expanded Universe" type stories not really interested in pushing characters in new directions.

A couple of the better ones I've read recently:

No Future is the conclusion to the Dark and Gritty Ace plot following her betrayal by the Doctor in Love & War, and since dealing with that character beat is the main point of the story, the main villains for the book are the lamest team-up you could possibly pick: the Monk and the Vardans. It's basically a semi-farce version of Death in Heaven or The Doctor Falls, where the fact that the Doctor is dealing with easily dispatched bad guys to save room for the character work, which is outstanding. The Monk gets to accuse Seven of being a hypocrite regarding changing history, which is a fun moment.

All-Consuming Fire features the obvious combination of Sherlock Holmes, Hindu mythology, and Cthulhu. Better yet, it's written in the style of a Sherlock Holmes story, with a couple of more typical chapters written by Benny. It really delights in its genre mashup and avoids going too hard on the Cthulhu stuff by having its central villain be kind of pathetic.

Blood Harvest is two-thirds of a great book about the Doctor and Ace trying to prevent a gang war in 1920s Chicago, and one-third a boring sequel to State of Decay starring Benny and Romana. The two plots don't come together until an epilogue which is somehow both too short and too long (and a sequel to The Five Doctors!) but boy is the Al Capone stuff fun if you imagine 90s British actors trying to do the accents.

...and Warlock. 90s as all gently caress! Future drugs! Animal testing! Ultra-cops! At first, I was worried that this might be some vaguely milquetoast anti-drug parable, but the titular Warlock drug, instead of making people see colors, man, or be filmed with a fisheye lens, instead has the interesting ability to create a shared state of consciousness between a group of people to sometimes disastrous effect, or on occasion, allow its users to possess the bodies of animals. A furiously angry novel that is never not interesting, even if the prose isn't always the best. There is one euthanasia scene that is going to stick with me for a very long time. If you're going to read one New Adventure, I'd say pick this one. I don't know if it's the best, although I wouldn't argue with the pick, but it most embodies what this line has been going for.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Abominable Snowmen trailer

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Some of that feels like it would be better in more moody b&w, like the Yeti walking across the mountain.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I had a different experience, reading several when they first came out way back in the 90s. To me, they felt nothing like Who, much less a continuation of the show. If I had been told they had been rejected, original manuscripts that had a "Find and Replace" to add characters named "The Doctor" and "Ace", I'd totally believe that.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Davros1 posted:

I had a different experience, reading several when they first came out way back in the 90s. To me, they felt nothing like Who, much less a continuation of the show. If I had been told they had been rejected, original manuscripts that had a "Find and Replace" to add characters named "The Doctor" and "Ace", I'd totally believe that.

I'm wondering how much of that is the early books in the line delighting in how much adult content they can get away with, which is... odd... for adaptations of a family show, even if of course everybody reading these at the time was of drinking age probably. The Doctor especially in early books can be difficult to get a handle on because you very rarely get scenes from his perspective and the NAs want to keep him lofty and mythic, but I love their characterization of Ace, and I'd give anything to pop into the parallel universe where Sophie Aldred was playing a children's show space marine in 1993. They do a good job of centering the companion, which feels very much like the missing link between the 7th Doctor era where we just start to delve into the companions' interiority, and Rose where the first ten minutes or so is just a day in the life of a companion. I'm excited to get to Damaged Goods and see what RTD was doing with Who in the 90s.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, the NAs and EDAs just going for broke expanding the series as much as possible and taking it seriously as a continuation of Who was just absolutely the right way to do it (and it's absolutely what they intended to do). Pretty much every NA took some wild swings, as did the EDAs after their fraught transition period, but that's how the series should work IMO.

The audience were mostly adults anyway, but I read a bunch as a kid and they were great too -- they were pretty much my gateway into Who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My favourite NA is The Also People by Ben Aaronovitch, who basically files the serial numbers off a Culture novel and puts the Doctor in there. It’s a lovely gentle holiday of a book.