Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Wouldn't it be cool if there was some way to be like "I voted already stop showing me these stupid ads"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Have you ever seen a campaign ad that wasn't the worst thing you've ever seen in your life?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

alnilam posted:

Have you ever seen a campaign ad that wasn't the worst thing you've ever seen in your life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

alnilam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwawPMSJins

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

smg77 posted:

It's a little weird that "deep blue" Oregon could end up with a Trump Republican governor next year and nobody seems to be talking about it. Since Kate Brown is term limited we have a completely open race and, as usual, the Dems are putting up lovely centrists and the state GOP has an entire clown car of Trump lovers competing for the nomination but what makes this year special is that Phil Knight and a bunch of Portland business owners are dumping millions of dollars into "independent" Betsy Johnson's campaign hoping to siphon off just enough moderate dem votes to get a Republican governor elected.

Checking in on this thread after looking at last nights election results. Anyway, honestly I think a Republican governor is probably a better outcome than a Betsy Johnson win. Neither great but lol yeah I think people are really underselling the chances especially because the republicans put up the more “moderate” candidate last night—“moderate” doing a lot of work there

Other than that, get hosed Kurt! I know clackistan might still give it to him but that would be a great and wonderful thing to see if he goes down

Sad to see Dan Ryan escape a run-off. Such a turd

Looks like Jo-Ann probably in a run-off with Gonzales—which—that would be the worst possible outcome if he won in the fall. Vadim seems like a water carrier and a turd, but Gonzales, from what I heard listening to the debates, sounds like a bloodthirsty law and order conservative. Wants to bring back school resource officers which is like the only real concession we got from summer of 2020. I could see Ryan and Mapps going along with that so ugh, gross

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/1549589917864321024?s=20&t=s8om4_N_5_30wBwseWnYFQ

Vote Blue no matter who!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Well known party traitor endorses a serial party traitor.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why does everyone talk about Betsy Johnson as if she's certain to spoil the democratic vote? Every thing I read about her sounds much closer to the republican party line than the democratic one. Position wise she seems more likely to pull a small number of republican votes than anything else. But I'm new-ish to the region so maybe there's some background I'm missing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

Why does everyone talk about Betsy Johnson as if she's certain to spoil the democratic vote? Every thing I read about her sounds much closer to the republican party line than the democratic one. Position wise she seems more likely to pull a small number of republican votes than anything else. But I'm new-ish to the region so maybe there's some background I'm missing.

Because the Democratic party will--at best--fail to support their nominee for being insufficiently Republican. There's a good chance they actively support Johnson instead.

The Republicans are the opposition, but the DCCC and the Third Way are the enemy. They will literally support a Republican over a progressive, and they are way more effective at keeping progressives out of office than Republicans are.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 31, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/elijsanders/status/1565772062672957440?s=20&t=5MNvxWtxq66_CA1BItSPxw

Ain'tNothin'GonnaHappen.gif

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It has become apparent to me at this point that Betsy Johnson is running a campaign that is nearly perfectly triangulated to get Drazan elected governor. I’m not sure if Betsy’s in on it, but her big backers like Phil Knight are I think. Just a perfect campaign to alienate the democratic base in Portland while grabbing as many centrists as possible. What an interesting cycle. Tina Kotek is a pretty uninspiring candidate for the democrats in general but I don’t think would have much problem without the independent candidate. I think Phil learned his lesson the last few cycles. He’s been dying to get a Republican in, I think he found his key. Going to be interesting down the stretch

Just the overwhelming and eye rolling coverage on the homelessness crisis, crime in general, and measure 110 has people reactionary as gently caress and salivating for carceral solutions. Even here in the middle of Portland. I see people who are proud to support Rene Gonzales even up in Boise neighborhood where I’m currently living. The thoughtful kind veneer of Portland progressives is starting to peel off and there’s a lot of appetite for “clean up the streets as quickly and efficiently as possible” which obviously means using the cruelest and least effective tools available ignoring the fact that the underlying causes of 40 years of bad policy are what is driving the current situation

It’s bleak here friends. Just dropping by to say that, but I’m guessing nobody really needed a reminder

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah I feel like I get more and more pissed off at the campaign ads every election year. Fuckin small business owners going "it looks bad, it makes me feel bad".

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah the ads are terrible but so is local media coverage. Just out of control. It would be one thing if they’d cover this stuff with the nuance it deserves but instead it’s all about how we’re supposed to feel bad a building got some spray paint on it after the business owner was apparently out mocking campers whose possessions were being thrown into a dumpster

Just mind boggling

“It’s not housing affordability it’s drugs and too many services! It’s not growing inequality and a sense that there’s no reason to follow the rules of polite society because there’s no escape from the bottom, it’s that we’ve been coddling these wolves in poor people clothing who live far on the backs of sacred small business owners…”

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Betsy’s gotta be 100% in on the game, Phil Knight spends millions every cycle on Republican candidates including this one and she thinks he just so happened to feel differently about her as an Independent? She knows what she’s doing and I can’t tell if I’m more frustrated with that, with voters who’ll uncritically take her at face value or eat up the lies to assuage their “nice” feelings while supporting a Republican in sheeps clothing, or at the Democrats being unable to field a candidate or campaign that is remotely engaging or inspiring as an alternative. And should Drazan win, the media shitstorm around Oregon going even partially red is going to be even worse, just mindbogglingly stupid

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It has become apparent to me at this point that Betsy Johnson is running a campaign that is nearly perfectly triangulated to get Drazan elected governor.

Everyone keeps saying this but I really don't see it. Betsy seems as likely to get republican votes as she is democratic ones, to me. I know it's a very small sample size but the one poll I saw that only included Drazan and Kotek, vs the several I've seen with all 3, also show Johnson peeling away comparable numbers of voters from both.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah the ads are terrible but so is local media coverage. Just out of control. It would be one thing if they’d cover this stuff with the nuance it deserves but instead it’s all about how we’re supposed to feel bad a building got some spray paint on it after the business owner was apparently out mocking campers whose possessions were being thrown into a dumpster

Just mind boggling

“It’s not housing affordability it’s drugs and too many services! It’s not growing inequality and a sense that there’s no reason to follow the rules of polite society because there’s no escape from the bottom, it’s that we’ve been coddling these wolves in poor people clothing who live far on the backs of sacred small business owners…”

Yeah it's shameful, lol I'm all angry and it's only 9am.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's scary because of the insane amount of damage Drazen could do in one term but I'm similarly not convinced Oregon's own Joe Manchin is going to land more Ds than Rs in the general.

As a labor activist, I kind of hate Tina Kotek. Betsy Johnson running has got me talking up the importance of voting for Tina to everyone under the sun.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

Everyone keeps saying this but I really don't see it. Betsy seems as likely to get republican votes as she is democratic ones, to me. I know it's a very small sample size but the one poll I saw that only included Drazan and Kotek, vs the several I've seen with all 3, also show Johnson peeling away comparable numbers of voters from both.

There’s a few reasons I think this is wrong:

1. Republicans are hungry to win the governor’s office, and the more it looks like their candidate has a shot the more willing they’ll be to come home

2. Drazan has really managed to avoid stepping on any serious rakes and the media is more than happy to cover her in a soft light, so those voters out in the deep burbs that might be turned off by a raving ideologue aren’t going to have that response to her

3. For better or worse Kotek has Portland Democratic Party machine all over her and plenty of soft dem voters in the hinterlands will be happy to lodge a protest vote because I’m of the opinion they’ll see Drazan and Kotek as sixes and not care who wins

I think a lot of Republican support Betsy is drawing will go home later in October if Drazan continues to look like she has a path

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shifty Nipples posted:

gently caressin small business owners

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Metaphorically, to be specific, please don’t literally, you deserve better

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

:hmmyes:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Speaking of Drazan, remember when the guy who replaced her in state congress got wasted at a county fair and drunkenly threatened some lady with a gun and his party disowned him? Is he still in office?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 30, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

Speaking of Drazan, remember when the guy who replaced her in state congress got wasted at a county fair and drunkenly threatened some lady with a gun and his party disowned him? Is he still in office?

He replaced her as minority leader but not her actual seat but yeah, last I saw the whole thing was being no charged

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
just popping into to echo that corporate news coverage is bleak and chaps my rear end on the regular. our union is gonna reluctantly back Kotek and i guess that's what we got ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lazy_Liberal posted:

just popping into to echo that corporate news coverage is bleak and chaps my rear end on the regular. our union is gonna reluctantly back Kotek and i guess that's what we got ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Local news stations are a god drat blight upon society. I remember when Al Jazeera America swept up all the top reporters from those stations and actually reported on useful local news but we're not allowed to have nice things I guess.

Wise advice.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

I want to gently caress small business owners with my great big tax package.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Lovin the fact so many people are single issue voters about homelessness but of course Republicans offer no solution other than just the same "Fine Ol' Solution" of shoving all homeless into meatgrinders.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

Lovin the fact so many people are single issue voters about homelessness but of course Republicans offer no solution other than just the same "Fine Ol' Solution" of shoving all homeless into meatgrinders.

that's tradition. ain't no one tells it straight no more

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Apparently Clackamas County is looking to buy a motel to set up a transitional housing community and is already looking at two specific properties. I don’t know how many units that’s going to be and their faq doesn’t say, but any is a move in the right direction. I think a lot of the frustration with Portland and Multnomah county is they seem to be doing a lot of nothing with the tens of millions of dollars that are being paid for homeless services. Just get people into rooms if you have $80MM/yr to spend on 3000 people. For $26000/yr each you could just rent them studio apartments or build 30 100 unit properties.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

therobit posted:

Apparently Clackamas County is looking to buy a motel to set up a transitional housing community and is already looking at two specific properties. I don’t know how many units that’s going to be and their faq doesn’t say, but any is a move in the right direction. I think a lot of the frustration with Portland and Multnomah county is they seem to be doing a lot of nothing with the tens of millions of dollars that are being paid for homeless services. Just get people into rooms if you have $80MM/yr to spend on 3000 people. For $26000/yr each you could just rent them studio apartments or build 30 100 unit properties.

Project turnkey is a good thing, we may help develop a hotel in Ontario into transitional housing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Project turnkey is a good thing, we may help develop a hotel in Ontario into transitional housing.

Yeah. I am flabbergasted that Clackistan is doing this before Portland. But I’m so happy that anything at all is being done. The worst of the social ills we are seeing that bleed out into the community are connected to large encampments, and getting people off the streets and into housing is the fastest and most enduring solution to that.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

Yeah. I am flabbergasted that Clackistan is doing this before Portland. But I’m so happy that anything at all is being done. The worst of the social ills we are seeing that bleed out into the community are connected to large encampments, and getting people off the streets and into housing is the fastest and most enduring solution to that.

Portland houses all kinds of people. In hotels and there are still SROs and a number of other places. The Pensione? There’s not enough of it and there are people who can be extremely challenging to keep housed for any number of reasons, but it’s pretty ridiculous to say clack is leading the way on putting people up in hotels

The problem is more that people expect immediate solutions to something that is a good 40 years of policy failures, and they expect it done with a heavy hand to make sure that the ‘undeserving’ don’t accidentally get help to, and for some reason everyone wants to start with the hardest cases

jeeves posted:

I absolutely cannot stand Rene Gonzales and how he talks about any of this and I’m pretty annoyed he’s going to probably win and be in city council for the next thirty years

Actually regarding local news I’m still laughing at this one from Koin the other day

https://www.koin.com/local/multnomah-county/start-being-leaders-woman-frustrated-by-wheelers-response-to-homeless-concerns/amp/

quote:

she moved to Portland from the East Coast five years ago because she wanted to live in a more progressive city.

Oh word?

quote:

she shared stories about how the crisis has impacted herself, her friends and neighbors.

“My friend is a realtor who just recently lost a deal because a homeless camp popped up in front of a house the clients were going to buy. What if that’s how you made a living? Are you going to subsidize that loss for him?”

Lmao

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 1, 2022

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

how dare those homeless people making you feel bad

the nerve

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh no a realtor lost a deal, it's really tough out there for those poor struggling little realtors :(((((((((

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Portland houses all kinds of people. In hotels and there are still SROs and a number of other places. The Pensione? There’s not enough of it and there are people who can be extremely challenging to keep housed for any number of reasons, but it’s pretty ridiculous to say clack is leading the way on putting people up in hotels

The problem is more that people expect immediate solutions to something that is a good 40 years of policy failures, and they expect it done with a heavy hand to make sure that the ‘undeserving’ don’t accidentally get help to, and for some reason everyone wants to start with the hardest cases

I absolutely cannot stand Rene Gonzales and how he talks about any of this and I’m pretty annoyed he’s going to probably win and be in city council for the next thirty years

Actually regarding local news I’m still laughing at this one from Koin the other day

https://www.koin.com/local/multnomah-county/start-being-leaders-woman-frustrated-by-wheelers-response-to-homeless-concerns/amp/

Oh word?

Lmao

Clack is at least beginning to address the core problem of not enough beds.
Portland was crowing about adding a thousand units of affordable housing since 2015, which is when they declared a state of emergency over affordable housing and homelessness. A thousand units when by most estimates they are short 100k units of affordable housing. And the solution they came up with is letting people camp on public land.

Meanwhile any time there is an affordable or transitional housing project it has to be some weird experimental pilot project. What they need to do is stop it with the other poo poo and just build housing, both affordable and transitional, as well as some homeless shelters. The housing units need to be made with value-engineered plans that allow for mirror image units that save on plumbing and electrical and which can have the same crews duplicating the same cuts at a factory and send materials packages out to the various job sites. Relying on a network of nonprofits instead of having the housing authority be front and center to the solution is a huge part of the problem.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

In broad strokes I agree with you but I was pretty fascinated by your suggestion that clack was leading the way putting people up in hotels which uh is something that is currently happening elsewhere

As for camping, it’s not a solution, but until there’s something in place it’s a necessary evil except that ostensibly progressive Portland doesn’t have the will or the leadership to handle that reality so we’re talking about poo poo like safe rest villages and shelters which are non-solutions that are intended imo to create the pretext for contemporary poverty internment camps

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 1, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Rose believes she speaks for many Portlanders when she says the crux of the homeless issue is drug addiction and until leaders start seeing it that way nothing will change.

“They blame it on unaffordable housing,” Rose said. “That’s part of it, but it’s also enabling, and they don’t want to give up that narrative,” Rose said.
This is probably a person following "I loving Love Science" who just entirely ignores the multiple studies that say "no, it's loving housing costs."

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

This is probably a person following "I loving Love Science" who just entirely ignores the multiple studies that say "no, it's loving housing costs."

Our entire way of life demands inequality and demands people be at the bottom. Instead of rethinking that way of life (the horror) or making the bottom at least a tiny bit comfortable, we expect the people with no reason to buy into social norms or rules to still be polite and happy and tip their hats and say “tyvm for not just mulching me” lmao

One thing I’ve learned after a decade plus in Portland is if you want to bring out the deep red in an ostensibly progressive democrat just bring up homeless people (indigenous people works too depending on age but most folks under 50 know better than to go knives out there)

Edit: to say nothing if some people are really hard to keep housed. It’s a solvable problem but one you need to plan for. Just anecdotally I have a friend who worked for CCC for a while and her challenges didn’t stop at getting people housed. We’re talking about people with severe trauma and mental illness who do things like scream loudly for hours in the middle of the night. An ADU isn’t adequate housing because the neighbors will complain until there’s an eviction—but try housing somebody like that in a sfh on public funds, I dare you. You’d spawn a dozen more mini Rene gonzaleses overnight

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 1, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Our entire way of life demands inequality and demands people be at the bottom. Instead of rethinking that way of life (the horror) or making the bottom at least a tiny bit comfortable, we expect the people with no reason to buy into social norms or rules to still be polite and happy and tip their hats and say “tyvm for not just mulching me” lmao

One thing I’ve learned after a decade plus in Portland is if you want to bring out the deep red in an ostensibly progressive democrat just bring up homeless people (indigenous people works too depending on age but most folks under 50 know better than to go knives out there)

Edit: to say nothing if some people are really hard to keep housed. It’s a solvable problem but one you need to plan for. Just anecdotally I have a friend who worked for CCC for a while and her challenges didn’t stop at getting people housed. We’re talking about people with severe trauma and mental illness who do things like scream loudly for hours in the middle of the night. An ADU isn’t adequate housing because the neighbors will complain until there’s an eviction—but try housing somebody like that in a sfh on public funds, I dare you. You’d spawn a dozen more mini Rene gonzaleses overnight

TBPH someone like that needs a residential care facility/inpatient mental hospital.

As far as camping being a necessary evil, yeah in 2015 it may have been but we are way too far along from there for it to still be the approach. Also deciding that no laws will ever be enforced in Portland is also not a good idea, and that applies to way more than just the homeless population.

We can talk till we are blue in the face about reasons and root causes but the fact of the matter is that the various mayors and the city council have had plenty of time to address these issues and blaming NIMBYs and other residents is pretty week. If the effective solutions aren’t popular then it is a politician’s job to loving sell that poo poo until they are or else take a bunch of incremental whacks at it. At this point I am just really frustrated and angry at how little has been done about this and other issues facing our state, region, and metro area. I have driven all over the western states in the last couple years and nowhere is this poo poo as bad as in Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

TBPH someone like that needs a residential care facility/inpatient mental hospital.

As far as camping being a necessary evil, yeah in 2015 it may have been but we are way too far along from there for it to still be the approach. Also deciding that no laws will ever be enforced in Portland is also not a good idea, and that applies to way more than just the homeless population.

We can talk till we are blue in the face about reasons and root causes but the fact of the matter is that the various mayors and the city council have had plenty of time to address these issues and blaming NIMBYs and other residents is pretty week. If the effective solutions aren’t popular then it is a politician’s job to loving sell that poo poo until they are or else take a bunch of incremental whacks at it. At this point I am just really frustrated and angry at how little has been done about this and other issues facing our state, region, and metro area. I have driven all over the western states in the last couple years and nowhere is this poo poo as bad as in Portland.

Nah. That person doesn’t need a care facility. Perfectly capable of living independently with some support by a social worker.

What’s your solution? Mass incarceration?

Edit: The lack of a response is pretty telling. “We’ve tried nothing and it didn’t immediately work! Time to start cracking heads”

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 3, 2022