Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's funny when you go to the past in Xenosaga 3 (the actual past not just encephalon dive recreations) and you learn that yes, Kevin was always a gigantic piece of poo poo and was also a groomer

While I get that the entire purpose is to go "oh he was ALWAYS a fuckboy", boy did that chapter read so incredibly differently replaying it this year. And the first-timers who got there with me were uhhhhhh very surprised where all of that romance went!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thuryl posted:

that reminds me of a Star Trek TOS episode that did the same thing, and apparently only the intervention of the studio execs stopped the writers from making the immortal guy Literally Jesus

that babylon 5 ep where sheridan gets tortured to prove his conviction to the cause of justice and the torturer casually drops that he's loving jack the ripper at the very end, having been kept alive thanks to the intervention of space aliens

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm suddenly reminded of a video I watched earlier this year about Terranigma and how it definitely made some odd choices in picking out historical figures who represent humanity's "genius." And then the vid went further into how Terranigma can be interpreted as a criticism of these very same geniuses, that the resurrection of the genius chapter as a whole is decidedly not a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXxoZqoIfQ0

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Vermain posted:

that babylon 5 ep where sheridan gets tortured to prove his conviction to the cause of justice and the torturer casually drops that he's loving jack the ripper at the very end, having been kept alive thanks to the intervention of space aliens

Sci-fi writers love to cryofreeze Jack the Ripper, or make Jack the Ripper an alien all along, or time travel hundreds of years to defeat Jack the Ripper

It's really kind of an odd fixation actually

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Delsaber posted:

Sci-fi writers love to cryofreeze Jack the Ripper, or make Jack the Ripper an alien all along, or time travel hundreds of years to defeat Jack the Ripper

It's really kind of an odd fixation actually
Almost as much as they like to have Hitler show up as a villain somehow.

It's almost like these historical figures have a lot of baggage associated with them that causes most people to instantly cast them as a villain and root for the protagonists as they oppose the character in the plot or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but how do you explain the otome games where you can make out with jack the ripper

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Booky posted:

ah i see..... personally i think her new design is Fail

tho also all i know about the new stuff is that its apparently mandatory to get the true ending?? i always had the feeling that it was really only that atlus game that did that but thinking on it idk if the true ending in this is just a expanded ver of the og best ending or if its just flat out a new thing like in the megaten rereleases
i shall await more info before grabbing 3ds RH too cause man pq2 eats up a lot of GB

Yeah, agreed on the new design. Like I said, it's just much more of a "generic princess" design.

The thing with the new ending is that it doesn't really resolve any loose ends or improve any part of the ending, because the original true ending already resolves everything in a very satisfying way. It's just there because an "improved rerelease" needs a new ending, the same way the rerelease's new character in the new content is just there because the new content needs a new character.

If you really want voice acting, Perfect Chronology has voice acting. If you already have the DS version, though, no reason to bother.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

but how do you explain the otome games where you can make out with jack the ripper
:shrug: Multiple people in the terrible games thread have brought up Hitler themed dating games too, I try not to put too much thought into the reasons people would like to date historic villains.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It is the -ultimate- 'I can fix him'.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Einander posted:

I like Radiant Historia quite a bit and played through the original several times, and the new content was just... there. It didn't detract from things (I'm looking at you, Chrono Trigger 3DS), but it didn't really add anything from a gameplay or story perspective. There's voice acting now, if you like voice acting. They also changed Eruca's portrait and sprite to something more generically princess-like, which is the only thing I had any real opinion on.

Man that really is such a downgrade in design and style

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Booky posted:

but why nietzsche...

nietzsche deez nuts?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

remembering the anime the wild arms guy wrote, symphogear, where the villain of the first season reveals shes an immortal (okay), given that shes immortal shes been alive throughout history (okay) and she was confucius, gaius julius caesar, napoleon, blackbeard, george washington, and nietzsche (what).

loling at this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

secretly best girl posted:

While I get that the entire purpose is to go "oh he was ALWAYS a fuckboy", boy did that chapter read so incredibly differently replaying it this year. And the first-timers who got there with me were uhhhhhh very surprised where all of that romance went!

Yeaaaaaah it's..certainly something

also it was funny when even Jin called Shion out about being such a huge bitch to Miyuki

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Don't worry, I'm a certified master of Symphogear Logic. I can fix this. Because it's like a Manchurian Candidate situation where she doesn't "wake up" and take over her descendant's body until they experience a certain trigger, that just means she didn't become Napoleon until after Washington's death.

If the powers that be would like to hire me to write a prequel manga based on this premise, my inbox is always open.

Oh she's Myyah

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mycot posted:

The first season of symphogear is the most jrpg-rear end plot escalation ever, it's uneventful and honestly kinda boring until the last ~four episodes of complete insanity

i actually liked the first part where they sort through feelings a lot more than the laser battles of the ending

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeaaaaaah it's..certainly something

also it was funny when even Jin called Shion out about being such a huge bitch to Miyuki

I think the one thing I came around hardest on in this playthrough is XS3 Jin is always right.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

secretly best girl posted:

I think the one thing I came around hardest on in this playthrough is XS3 Jin is always right.

:hmmyes:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

i actually liked the first part where they sort through feelings a lot more than the laser battles of the ending
What's great about the later seasons is that they start sorting through their feelings during the laser battles.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Has anyone playing SH2 noticed that the music that plays at the end of each soul matrix level is either the same, or nearly identical to the "talking to the characters" music in the original Valkyrie Profile?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Endorph posted:

remembering the anime the wild arms guy wrote, symphogear, where the villain of the first season reveals shes an immortal (okay), given that shes immortal shes been alive throughout history (okay) and she was confucius, gaius julius caesar, napoleon, blackbeard, george washington, and nietzsche (what).

great list. none of this "I was the friend of an important historical figure, but history forgot me" stuff the cowardly Assassin's Creed tries to pull. just straight up they were those people

Not an RPG, but it also reminds me of when I went into Fate Stay / Night completely blind. Imagine my shock when I learned that King Arthur was, in fact, a hot anime girl. I think I finished the rest of the VN in like 3 days because I was so sold on the absurdity of it all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funny thing about fsn is that the protagonist was originally female and saber was originally male and when they changed that they did not change that part of the plot

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

the funny thing about fsn is that the protagonist was originally female and saber was originally male and when they changed that they did not change that part of the plot

and thus began a long, financially successful odyssey to discover which other great historical figures had secretly been anime babes all this time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

and thus began a long, financially successful odyssey to discover which other great historical figures had secretly been anime babes all this time
i like that the cn government got mad at them when they launched in that region and censored out most of the chinese characters for being 'historically inaccurate,' but gao changgong was allowed to stay a pretty anime bishonen because that actually is historically accurate

quote:

According to the Book of Northern Qi and the Record of the Court Entertainment Bureau, Gao Changgong had a beautiful face and feminine physical appearance thus he always wore a terrible mask when he fought in battles.

quote:

The Book of Northern Qi (Chinese: 北齊書, pinyin Běi Qí Shū), was the official history of the Chinese dynasty Northern Qi. It was written by the Tang Dynasty historian Li Baiyao (李百藥) and was completed in 636. It is listed among the official Twenty-Four Histories of China. The original book contained 50 chapters but it was found during the Song Dynasty that only 17 chapters were intact. The rest are lost.

its a primary source! this man was a twink

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

Current count by FGO is 22.(King Arthur, Emperor Nero, Attila the Hun, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Jing Ke, Francis Drake, Okita Souji, Oda Nobunaga, Mordred, Frankenstein's Monster, Shuten-douji, Tripitaka, Minamoto no Yorimitsu, Ibaraki-douji, Paul Bunyan, Katou Danzou, Gareth, Katsuhisa Hokusai, Uesugi Kenshin, Ibuki-doujo, Vritra and Xu Fu).

Honorable mentions/weird cases include Da Vinci (she's trans), Miyamoto Musashi (AU version), Nezha (was turned from male into female instory), Caeneus/Caenis (trans male but the game keeps treating him like a waifu), Van Gogh (fused to a Greek nymph), Kiichi Hougen/Kurama Tengu (shapeshifter), Ranmaru (they ate all the other Ranmarus), Dobrynya Nikitch (she's his wife), Hephaestion (she's his sister), Daikokuten (they're his mice), Sancho Panza (she's every side character in Don Quixote. And also the cruel reality apparently) and every male god using a girl as a host.

Fate likes its genderbends weird.

Edit: v gently caress how did I forget about Gareth

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 31, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I like that both Fate and Granblue have cute girl Gareth

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope in a past life I was a famous historical figure who secretly was a woman all along

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ibaraki is female even in some of the original versions of that myth so ill give them that one

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't know much about Fate stuff but on the topic of babe-ifying their historical figures, I seem to recall its depiction of Alexander is bizarre in that it takes a real life prettyboy and turns him into a very masculine figure.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know much about Fate stuff but on the topic of babe-ifying their historical figures, I seem to recall its depiction of Alexander is bizarre in that it takes a real life prettyboy and turns him into a very masculine figure.

They actually triple justify that:

a)He used to be bishonen, but due to Zeus' blood (while just a claim of his it's enough to be included on his legend) he grows swole. FGO has the younger version although he's younger than prettyboyish.

b)The aforementioned Hephaestion's sister was his magical body double and that's why he's still recorded as pretty (she also has the heterochromia)

c)IRL we know that Darius III's throne was too big for Alexander... in Fate it still is because Darius III is over 3m tall.

Obviously Fate generally just makes the design rhe artist and writers think it's cool and then tries to justify it, but a lot of times it's on real mythological/historical basis.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Iskandar rules in Fate. One of the best parts of Fate/Zero

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've been playing through the klonoa series and just finished dream champ tournament a couple days ago, so i was very happy to learn that klonoa heroes: legendary star medal just got an english translation patch like a week ago. just in time! after playing through five puzzle platformers, i wasn't really sure what to expect from heroes since namco decided to eschew platforming altogether and instead go for an old school action rpg, but it's surprisingly fun. i haven't played any of namco's really old stuff but i definitely get the vibe that this draws from some of those old games, someone pointed out that the gameplay here kinda resembles valkyrie. klonoa's starting weapon is pretty slow but once you get a sword he can really start flying all over the place, and guntz, klonoa's gruff gunslinging rival from the previous game, joins the party after the first area, so you get what i'm hoping is almost an entire game of them bickering. the cutscenes are styled like tales skits, with the character portraits getting squashed and shrunk and generally being very emotive

also i love the box art, with klonoa of all people trying to look like a serious sword guy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

okay i knew about the beach volleyball but how come i never heard of the rpg? neat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What the

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Namnesor posted:

Really, only WA2 has the bad translation and at this point it's a reason to play rather than a reason to avoid

I can tolerate a bad translation but the font choice in games like WA2 should've resulted in the person who ok'd it being tried for crimes against humanity.

mycot posted:

Man that really is such a downgrade in design and style

Japan please stop changing interesting art styles to something that looks like it's being churned out by an animation content mill when remaking games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Looper posted:

also i love the box art, with klonoa of all people trying to look like a serious sword guy

Lots of rectangular GBA boxart probably suffered in the transistion to a square format for titles that got localized. Far greater sins than "they gave Kirby eyebrows so he looks angry".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 31, 2022

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

She was brought over from the FGO gag manga as an intentional joke character, being only a 1 star Servant. She herself doesn't know why she's a girl.

They later added a 5 star version called Super Bunyan where she's joined by Georges Melies and J. Edgar Hoover.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Current count by FGO is 22.(King Arthur, Emperor Nero, Attila the Hun, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Jing Ke, Francis Drake, Okita Souji, Oda Nobunaga, Mordred, Frankenstein's Monster, Shuten-douji, Tripitaka, Minamoto no Yorimitsu, Ibaraki-douji, Paul Bunyan, Katou Danzou, Gareth, Katsuhisa Hokusai, Uesugi Kenshin, Ibuki-doujo, Vritra and Xu Fu).

Hokusai is still a man, the woman is his daughter Oi operating under his name for reasons.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Hokusai is still a man, the woman is his daughter Oi operating under his name for reasons.

gently caress, you're right, so the number dips back to 21.

Hilariously I forgot about Kyokutei Bakin despite being the same logic because of the mess of also being his novel's protagonist who is a woman.

Draga posted:

She was brought over from the FGO gag manga as an intentional joke character, being only a 1 star Servant. She herself doesn't know why she's a girl.

They later added a 5 star version called Super Bunyan where she's joined by Georges Melies and J. Edgar Hoover.

Who are also women. Maybe, Hoover might be crossdressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best Jack the Ripper in anime games is in Operation Darkness where he and Herbert West The Reanimator give friendship speeches to Dracula about the sanctity of life.

Also they murder Hitler in his bunker despite Hitler summoning a giant dragon to stop them.