Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

I can’t imagine doing that but I suspect those records are fairly rare for such a big artist. Most things from that time period are.

Median price on discogs for a ‘97 Butterfly is $250.
It’s sold for higher.

Oh yeah, I know. Big label poo poo from the 90s was pressed in much smaller numbers and primarily sold in Europe and Japan because those markets hadn't given up on the vinyl LP. It's why when you're looking for some of this stuff it's almost always one of those regions even though these were actually US pressings much of the time.

Boinks posted:

Nice titles, hope you got a good price on them.

I've given up on my local HPB:

lol, gently caress that place. You literally cannot even give this junk away. There has always been an element of "These records are old so they're worth a fortune." but now it's more of a rule than an exception since the kids are into records again.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Inside of a coffee shop inside a skyscraper leased entirely by FacebookMeta

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Picked up the vinyl for Summer City by Kim Areum. Korean city pop. There are also some art prints, a fake passport, postcard and sticker inside. Pretty nifty.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Boinks posted:

the HPBs around here are pretty bad but nowhere near that bad, I think the ones I got that trip were in the $12-20 range

(just watch, we actually went to the same one or something similar and I just didn't notice how bad the prices were on that stuff)

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

CPL593H posted:

I also found out that after 20+ years of turning up my nose at cassette tapes that they're not bad as long as you're using decent equipment. It's kind of hosed up my whole reality. I initially looked into it because I had a handful of things that were only released on cassette so I dug out my old barely used tape deck and hooked it up to my stereo.

How long was your deck idle? I’ve had mine sitting unused in a basement for at least fifteen years. I’d like to start using it again, but I’m afraid it’ll damage tapes after rusting for awhile. I tend to worry about these things too much - presumably I just need to clean it before use. If a belt rotted while it was in storage it shouldn’t damage anything…

I’ve tried to find new decks, but last I looked there was only one model available which had mixed reviews and was overpriced.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

u_s_eh posted:

How long was your deck idle? I’ve had mine sitting unused in a basement for at least fifteen years. I’d like to start using it again, but I’m afraid it’ll damage tapes after rusting for awhile. I tend to worry about these things too much - presumably I just need to clean it before use. If a belt rotted while it was in storage it shouldn’t damage anything…

I’ve tried to find new decks, but last I looked there was only one model available which had mixed reviews and was overpriced.

It's been just hanging around since the late 90s. It belonged to my aunt and I got it quite a while back. It wasn't in a basement though. It was in my closet. I was going to replace all the belts but I broke it down and looked at them and they're in remarkably good shape. I looked into it and apparently some belts can last a really long time. It probably helps that it was always in a cool dry place. That said I'd still recommend looking at the belts first.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

:getin:

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Such a great album, makes me sad though

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i bought that without realizing it's a double LP.... kinda ruins the vibe to flip a pretty seamless album every 10 minutes but that's just me

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Boinks posted:

Glass Houses in a good Billy Joel album. It is not THAT good.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i bought that without realizing it's a double LP.... kinda ruins the vibe to flip a pretty seamless album every 10 minutes but that's just me

My partner's gaming chair is right next to the record player, so he's forced into DJ duties. :colbert:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Hopefully one day they invent some way to fit more than 24 minutes of music on one, single-sided, compact disc

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i coulda sworn there was a single-lp donuts at some point, but perhaps I'm hallucinating

e: I'm hallucinating, clearly

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 30, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ran through all my Oingo Boingo vinyl today after locking down tickets to Danny Elfman at the Hollywood Bowl. :slick:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Love that alternate cover.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

very happy with these 2 pick ups — Arvo Part's Fur Alina and a bootleg Alice Coltrane........ too bad i'm moving and my record player's packed up so i won't get to spin these for a while

Arvo Pärt slaps.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Boinks posted:

PFFT everyone gets Glass Houses for free via their dad's collection in the attic.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my vmp jailbreak and room on fire came in last night, haven't had a chance to even open them yet (and probably won't until tomorrow)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey Vinyl folks, I work at an electronics recycling place, and recently we got a couple turntables in, a Pioneer PL-5 and a BelAir somethingorother. I couldnt let them go to the shredder, so now I guess I'm into vinyl!! The Pioneer needed some rehab, a disassembly, cleaning and re-greasing, but it works great with a new cartridge. The BelAir is a cheapy one that got cloned a million times over, but it sounds pretty OK and it runs well without any major work needed and it has an internal preamp, so it sits on my desk at work with a pair of speakers on it so I can listen while I work.

I have a history with vinyl, as I'm sure many people my age do, due to my parents having an absolute stack of it when I was a kid, so I have some good memories of putting on the couple of records they had that overlapped with my own childe tastes at the time. Its strange to handle and work with it again after all these years

I've been picking through my local Goodwill (mostly junk, but there are a couple of decent albums I've been able to snag) and I've hit a couple of the local record shops, so my collection is small yet, but I've been keeping a list of stuff I want to get on my phone.

Anyway, I dont know what the point of this is, other than to say hey I listen to vinyl too now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hey Vinyl folks, I work at an electronics recycling place, and recently we got a couple turntables in, a Pioneer PL-5 and a BelAir somethingorother. I couldnt let them go to the shredder, so now I guess I'm into vinyl!! The Pioneer needed some rehab, a disassembly, cleaning and re-greasing, but it works great with a new cartridge. The BelAir is a cheapy one that got cloned a million times over, but it sounds pretty OK and it runs well without any major work needed and it has an internal preamp, so it sits on my desk at work with a pair of speakers on it so I can listen while I work.

I have a history with vinyl, as I'm sure many people my age do, due to my parents having an absolute stack of it when I was a kid, so I have some good memories of putting on the couple of records they had that overlapped with my own childe tastes at the time. Its strange to handle and work with it again after all these years

I've been picking through my local Goodwill (mostly junk, but there are a couple of decent albums I've been able to snag) and I've hit a couple of the local record shops, so my collection is small yet, but I've been keeping a list of stuff I want to get on my phone.

Anyway, I dont know what the point of this is, other than to say hey I listen to vinyl too now.

Welcome to the thread. Your copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights is already on its way.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CPL593H posted:

Welcome to the thread. Your copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights is already on its way.
I never got mine.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
So I've been frustrated that the only place I can really listen to vinyl is my living room on the big surround sound system, and wanted something to use in my bedroom.

Ended up getting an audio technica AT-LP60XBT turntable and a pair of powered Micca speakers. Got everything setup and running today. Broke it in with Linkin Park Reanimation, wihch was a great choice.

The bluetooth feature is surprisingly nice for more private listening when I don't want to bother my roommate with music.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Ran through all my Oingo Boingo vinyl today after locking down tickets to Danny Elfman at the Hollywood Bowl. :slick:

If his coachella set was any indication your in for a treat.

Guys I need a check on this. Just got it in the mail.

https://i.imgur.com/jWGa1Ow.mp4
A/B

https://i.imgur.com/ZtL3x1A.mp4
C/D

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

is it causing any audible distortion? is the arm flailing around?

I got a pretty wide warp on a disc that travelled from Spain, but it plays back super well (despite it being a bass heavy dance record which i would've thought would've made the needle jump) and sounds great. sometimes a warp is fine if it isnt like audibly or visually destroying your gear. the two stores in my area that offer flattening services were even like "it doesnt seem like it would be worth trying to fix this in case the flattening service damages it".

by all means try and get your money back though if its from a retailer that offers that. maybe you'll be able to keep the disc, but get a new one too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
If it affects playback, send it back. If not who cares, it's an imperfect medium. If you want a perfect album buy the CD (I say this as someone who has hundreds of CDs too.)

On that note, an update:

pwn posted:

Haven't bought a lot lately but this lovely showed up today

Waited until I found a copy for about $32 shipped. The old patience game pays off again

pwn posted:

H*ck yeah...

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1558557555810525184

Disc 2 is pretty badly warped. Side 4 isn't playable, if I let it go it starts to skip.

Who was it that knew someone who was offering flattening services? Was it in another forum? I would be happy to take a chance.

pwn posted:

Thank you! I guess it's time to make an account on another forum, yeehaw.

Eh, it was from a record shop, and it was sealed. Plus it's from a label in the UK (Chocodog) so it won't be easy to replace. I don't really wanna bother them to return it if there's a chance I can fix it. If it was Amazon or whatever I'd return it in a heartbeat.

I saw that the record shop did have at least one more copy available, and contacted them. I explained that I don't care about warps but this one affected playback. They were super cool and shipped a replacement, and didn't want the defective disc back. It arrived today* and it's in great shape. So now I gotta figure out who to give the other one to, preferably someone who 1. Can be arsed to try and get it flattened and B. Is going to actually enjoy the record and not just flip it.

*Monday but I finally verified it as Good tonight

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Aw man, I'm at the level of poor where I have to choose between merch or an uber home so I don't have any vinyl to show for it, but goddaaaaaaaaaamn Yves Tumor puts on a hell of a show. That good weird queer poo poo. :hellyeah:

incoherent posted:

If his coachella set was any indication your in for a treat.
Having grown up in L.A. in the '80s but never seeing Oingo Boingo I feel like this is a long time coming. Like when I fulfilled my life-long dream of punching a dude in the face at a Mr. Bungle concert during that reunion show. Livin' the dream.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CPL593H posted:

Funny I've spotted a couple of Herb Alpert albums at the local goodwill but never WCAOD yet.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

incoherent posted:

Guys I need a check on this. Just got it in the mail.

A/B

https://i.imgur.com/ZtL3x1A.mp4
C/D

Your turntable is bobbing up and down more than that record is.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Funny I've spotted a couple of Herb Alpert albums at the local goodwill but never WCAOD yet.

I'd say I run across What Now My Love and S.R.O more than Whipped Cream.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah I dunno if that's some sort of optical illusion or something but that platter looks like it's wobbly as hell

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I ordered the 20th anniversary edition of dredg's Leitmotif on 11/15/21.

Heyyyyy it finally shipped! These vinyl delays are so long I basically forgot I ordered the poo poo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

angrygodofjebus posted:

I ordered the 20th anniversary edition of dredg's Leitmotif on 11/15/21.

Heyyyyy it finally shipped! These vinyl delays are so long I basically forgot I ordered the poo poo.

I ordered it the same day, and got it today!

(Grumble grumble, why don't they label their sides? I started side B first...)

And while I'm doing some pictures, here some other ones I picked up in the last week or two.

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Blood Lust
I've been wanting this one on vinyl, and happened across it. MetalSucks.com was doing a charity shirt for Planned Parenthood, and I found they also had this exclusive purple and green splatter vinyl. Too pretty to say no any longer. (Shirt is shipped, but hasn't arrived yet.)

Silversun Pickups - Physical Thrills
I picked this one up just because it was pretty, shamefully enough. Plus the one from SSPU's web store came with the signed insert (and had the exclusive translucent blue records). Plus, it is called Physical Thrills after all.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

IUG posted:

Haha awesome! I forgot what even was on the shirt, the penguin in the desert rules.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
If you ever come across an Italian pressing of Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit, avoid it. Extreme levels of groove distortion.

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Pretzellogic posted:

I never got mine.

It was sent straight to your local thrift store. That is where you will find them.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I keep getting this ad featuring Henry Rollins for Sound of Vinyl (whatever that is I haven't clicked it). "Rule #1 when it comes to taking care of your vinyl. Never scratch the label." I don't think I would put that up there as the number one rule or the top ten. Actually I don't think about scratching the label at all. Haha. I have received a few records lately that have a spindle hole that is too small and I just gouge that poo poo out with a pocket knife.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up on the Uncle Acid. I've been wanting to grab that but it's always in the $50ish range.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 1, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

If you ever come across an Italian pressing of Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit, avoid it. Extreme levels of groove distortion.

I'm not saying whether or not that pressing has issues but that album have never really sounded good. Their low budget is very apparent.

sporklift posted:

I keep getting this ad featuring Henry Rollins for Sound of Vinyl (whatever that is I haven't clicked it). "Rule #1 when it comes to taking care of your vinyl. Never scratch the label." I don't think I would put that up there as the number one rule or the top ten. Actually I don't think about scratching the label at all. Haha. I have received a few records lately that have a spindle hole that is too small and I just gouge that poo poo out with a pocket knife.

Rule number one should be "Never scratch the playing surface." but Henry Rollins is very famously an obsessive weirdo.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 1, 2022

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

IUG posted:

And while I'm doing some pictures, here some other ones I picked up in the last week or two.

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Blood Lust
I've been wanting this one on vinyl, and happened across it. MetalSucks.com was doing a charity shirt for Planned Parenthood, and I found they also had this exclusive purple and green splatter vinyl. Too pretty to say no any longer. (Shirt is shipped, but hasn't arrived yet.)

Silversun Pickups - Physical Thrills
I picked this one up just because it was pretty, shamefully enough. Plus the one from SSPU's web store came with the signed insert (and had the exclusive translucent blue records). Plus, it is called Physical Thrills after all.

If you have a chance to see uncle acid live, do it. I’ve seen them twice and they’re fantastic.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I'm not saying whether or not that pressing has issues but that album have never really sounded good. Their low budget is very apparent.
I always thought DK were very particular with their mixing/production. Lotsa textures pumping out of a half-broken speaker in a post-apocalyptic garbage truck a block away.

God, I love how those albums sound.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Henry Rollins is weird and intense and half the people that know who Henry Rollins is are convinced he's gay, which he denies. He's also somehow still sorta famous even though he was mostly known for his music which hasn't really been a thing in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

and all of his weird and intense (and maybe gay?) spoken word stuff