Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Extremely cool how the only USB hubs available for sale anywhere all have a twelve inch long permanently-attached upstream cable because the only computer that exists is a Macintosh(R) branded laptop computer

If you want an upstream cable then you can spend $200-$300 on a USB-C docking station or I dunno buy some large stainless steel industrial USB 2.0 hub for almost as much money as a USB-C dock I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Sapozhnik posted:

Extremely cool how the only USB hubs available for sale anywhere all have a twelve inch long permanently-attached upstream cable because the only computer that exists is a Macintosh(R) branded laptop computer

If you want an upstream cable then you can spend $200-$300 on a USB-C docking station or I dunno buy some large stainless steel industrial USB 2.0 hub for almost as much money as a USB-C dock I guess

https://www.jsaux.com/products/upgraded-docking-station-for-steam-deck?_pos=1&_fid=327a7b526&_ss=c&variant=43116910248156
This one has been mentioned up thread a few times. Still has the USB-c pig tail but its not super long. Also $50.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Blotto_Otter posted:

FYI, someone's already made a plugin for Soul Hackers 2 (https://github.com/Lyall/SoulHackers2Fix) that adds some graphical tweaks and settings, including ability to run it at resolutions/ratios other than 16x9. I've got it running at the Deck's native 1280x800 resolution after installing this plugin. (The only hitch I ran into while installing it was that some of the files unzipped with no permissions set, and I had to manually enable read+write permissions before it worked.)

Heck yeah, that is on my short list of games to play on the deck, thank you!

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

homeless snail posted:

Enjoy your counterfeits :angel:

Counterfeits don't exist because a handful of goons have bought a handful of SD cards without issue. Topic locked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What a strange thing to get upset about. Nobody’s keeping anyone from spending money at Amazon.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Well, today's supposedly the day my SD arrives. FedEx claims an arrival window of 9:45a-1:00p but the package was last seen this morning at the CA/AZ border while I live on the coast. I'm skeptical.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

goons who are obsessed with counterfeit sd cards are the same ones who post steam codes in the form of a bridge keeper's riddle because the bots are everywhere

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

When it comes to USB-C there's usually a good reason for having a pigtail/captive cable on something in a way that wasn't a problem with USB-A/B directional cables, it's not just an inconvenient choice.

For example, many chargers with a captive cable run Vbus hot, which is fine with a captive cable but not fine if it has a USB-C port--what happens if you plug two Vbus hot chargers into each other?

I guess, this this case, what happens if you plug a USB-C hub's uplink cable into another USB-C hub's uplink port? Probably nothing interesting.

The other reason is that high-throughput USB-C hubs require uplinks with strict bandwidth requirements and it's very easy for people to attach the wrong kind of USB-C cable to it and for it to not work as advertised. Or even "too long" of a cable. Having a pigtail simplifies this considerably.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

v1ld posted:

Do y'all still use wired ethernet for much? Wifi6 is good enough that I don't run cables even to my fixed desktop - it gets 800+ Mbps in real use over wifi, though Steam game downloads are the only thing that get that high usually.

I use Ethernet for my tryhard multiplayer shooters but that's it. The WiFi is super fast.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ExcessBLarg! posted:

it's very easy for people to attach the wrong kind of USB-C cable to it and for it to not work as advertised. Or even "too long" of a cable.

I know this trend has been going on since at least HDMI and probably a lot longer, but I miss the days where if it fit it worked.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

goons who are obsessed with counterfeit sd cards are the same ones who post steam codes in the form of a bridge keeper's riddle because the bots are everywhere

You should not post your email in an easily parsable format, that's a legit thing. steam codes way, way less likely tho

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jokes on you I'm the guy that runs the bot.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hammer Bro. posted:

I know this trend has been going on since at least HDMI and probably a lot longer, but I miss the days where if it fit it worked.
USB-C was supposed to solve this, and did in the sense that "if it fits it at least won't blow up, but might not otherwise 'work' to your expectations."

The fundamental problem is that the requirements for high-throughput data transmission (high-grade materials, many data pins, short length, high cost) is incompatible with what people want for simply charging (long length, low cost).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

USB-C was supposed to solve this, and did in the sense that "if it fits it at least won't blow up

Except on third party switch docks lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Blame Nintendo, or God.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Those were definitely not to spec.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vampire Survivors is in its heaven, all's right with the world

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1565067858790711296

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Truga posted:

idk how hard it would be on a deck, but should be possible with vkbasalt and CRT.fx from the reshade repo at least

Well out of my wheelhouse but I hope someone does it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Spyro Reignited is real good on this thing

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Chinook posted:

Spyro Reignited is real good on this thing

Yeah =]

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

quiggy posted:

Vampire Survivors is in its heaven, all's right with the world

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1565067858790711296

Not surprised to see Hades on there, the game runs silky smooth on the deck and the controls are surprisingly intuitive.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got my 512GB Micro SD yesterday. Protip if you didn’t already know. If you get formatting errors, format the card on another machine (I normally use my desktop with SD Memory Card Formatter) in case of any lingering format corruption from your initial attempt. Then insert the card back into the Deck and reboot it and then do the format. Should format just fine there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is it possible to have a single USB-C dock that works for the Steam Deck and the Switch? I'm a bit short on HDMI inputs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't remember the technical details but something about the way the Switch dock handles power delivery makes it a special snowflake so I don't think a Switch and Steam Deck dock combo will ever be possible.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Immortality is pretty great on this.

E: can you set the left trackpad/joystick as the right or vice versa? There's a couple of games where this might have been helpful (like using the gyro as movement, not view, in Exo One) and I can't figure out how to swap them.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 1, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
got my deck yesterday after over a year. it's so nice. it's loving huge and loud but really fun to mess with. being able to upload my witcher 3 switch save and play it on deck was really cool.

TuKeZu
Nov 29, 2015

Chubby Henparty posted:

E: can you set the left trackpad/joystick as the right or vice versa? There's a couple of games where this might have been helpful (like using the gyro as movement, not view, in Exo One) and I can't figure out how to swap them.

Select the gear icon next to (L/R) Joystick / Trackpad Behavior -> Output -> Output Joystick. You can even have multiple inputs set to the same stick and they'll work simultaneously. Swapping those around won't change your gyro behavior though, if you're using gyro as stick then it also has the same Output Joystick option in a similar location

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

^^^ A USB-C dock from like Dell or HP should Just Work. Not 1st party Nintendo. Can't comment on power delivery.

Check Cowman and my post history ITT. I've linked a bunch of stuff but it's your call what's OP-worthy.

Maybe some info on chargers, SD cards, docks, and options for transferring files. These topics come up often.

I've added some quotes from you, but Cowman's stuff, if useful, doesn't provide much help out of context. You and cowman should take a look and tell me what's missing. OP is kind of slapdash but JUST POST right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

Is it possible to have a single USB-C dock that works for the Steam Deck and the Switch? I'm a bit short on HDMI inputs.
The Genki Covert Dock does this, although it's only HDMI 1.4 and so with the latest version of the Deck firmware it will only run at 1080p60 on a 4K monitor/TV.

It also only does 25W output, so the Deck warns that it's a "slow charger".

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't remember the technical details but something about the way the Switch dock handles power delivery makes it a special snowflake so I don't think a Switch and Steam Deck dock combo will ever be possible.
The Switch Dock has unusual power requirements but the Switch tablet itself follows USB-C and USB-PB aside from a known issue with 12 V supplies on the original model, and even that just results in slower charging. Video output from the Switch uses MyDP instead of the more typical DP Alt Mode, and I think there's a proprietary flag that has to be communicated so it doesn't even work with older MyDP adapters eithers.

That said, it's entirely possible to construct a dock that supports both whatever-the-Switch-does and the more typical DP Alt Mode. That's what the Covert Dock does.

(Edit: Changed the first part of the post as I found my Covert Dock and tested it.)

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 1, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Genki Covert Dock does this, although it's only HDMI 1.4 and so with the latest version of the Deck firmware it will only run at 1080p60 on a 4K monitor/TV.

It also only does 25W output, so the Deck warns that it's a "slow charger".

The Switch Dock has unusual power requirements but the Switch tablet itself follows USB-C and USB-PB aside from a known issue with 12 V supplies on the original model, and even that just results in slower charging. Video output from the Switch uses MyDP instead of the more typical DP Alt Mode, and I think there's a proprietary flag that has to be communicated so it doesn't even work with older MyDP adapters eithers.

That said, it's entirely possible to construct a dock that supports both whatever-the-Switch-does and the more typical DP Alt Mode. That's what the Covert Dock does.

(Edit: Changed the first part of the post as I found my Covert Dock and tested it.)

I don't know if I could warrant buying another, but I'm sure Genki is working on a Deck-specific Covert Dock that can handle 50w and 4k/60hz.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
They recently announced the Covert Dock Mini, but I think the specs are largely the same as the original, aside from dropping the USB-A port.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just got super excited because the docking station for my work laptop works with the Steam Deck which will mean even LESS productivity while working.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Decided to stop playing VS and emulators for a bit to get to something real and tried Death Stranding. Looks gorgeous but I can barely hear the dialogue over the fan

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
someone who is cool please dm me, an idiot, how to get switch emulator yuzu working please and thank you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Opopanax posted:

Decided to stop playing VS and emulators for a bit to get to something real and tried Death Stranding. Looks gorgeous but I can barely hear the dialogue over the fan

The fan when I play GW2 kinda goes up and down a lot and it's pretty frustrating but usually stays pretty quiet.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

jokes posted:

The fan when I play GW2 kinda goes up and down a lot and it's pretty frustrating but usually stays pretty quiet.

is there a low power mode that would choke it back so the fan wouldn't spin hard so often?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mescal posted:

is there a low power mode that would choke it back so the fan wouldn't spin hard so often?
This is a whole thing. Fan running loud also means that the system is using a fair bit of power which cuts down on battery life. I generally try to tune games so they won't run the fan much and get 3-4 hours handheld (if possible), and if I'm docked the extra power goes to FSR scaling.

How to save power depends a bit on exactly what you want to do, and what kind of game it is. Usually pulling up the Performance overlay and setting the Framerate Limit from 60 to 30 will save a good bit of power on older titles, or you can split the difference and set the Refresh Rate to 40 if you prefer something more responsive. For newer titles you may have to drop in-game graphics settings to hit a locked 40 or 30 even.

The other option is to set the TDP limit. This forces the SoC to run at a capped power at the cost of dropped frames/uneven frame pacing. Usually what you do here is set a frame limit/refresh rate first, then drop the TDP to when you start getting frame skips, then up it 1-2 W to give some buffer. This will keep the Deck running cooler even during complex scenes by dropping frames as needed.

Furthermore, if you set a manual display brightness and turn off Wi-Fi in adddition to the TDP limit, you can pretty much get a guaranteed battery life out of the Deck.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

Trying to tweak it to get the most I can without burning myself, how important is the online stuff in DS? I want to put it in airplane mode but it seems like I'll miss out on neat things

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is a whole thing. Fan running loud also means that the system is using a fair bit of power which cuts down on battery life. I generally try to tune games so they won't run the fan much and get 3-4 hours handheld (if possible), and if I'm docked the extra power goes to FSR scaling.

How to save power depends a bit on exactly what you want to do, and what kind of game it is. Usually pulling up the Performance overlay and setting the Framerate Limit from 60 to 30 will save a good bit of power on older titles, or you can split the difference and set the Refresh Rate to 40 if you prefer something more responsive. For newer titles you may have to drop in-game graphics settings to hit a locked 40 or 30 even.

The other option is to set the TDP limit. This forces the SoC to run at a capped power at the cost of dropped frames/uneven frame pacing. Usually what you do here is set a frame limit/refresh rate first, then drop the TDP to when you start getting frame skips, then up it 1-2 W to give some buffer. This will keep the Deck running cooler even during complex scenes by dropping frames as needed.

Furthermore, if you set a manual display brightness and turn off Wi-Fi in adddition to the TDP limit, you can pretty much get a guaranteed battery life out of the Deck.

I basically never want to hear the fans go above, like, 80% but I also don't want it to melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Opopanax posted:

Trying to tweak it to get the most I can without burning myself, how important is the online stuff in DS? I want to put it in airplane mode but it seems like I'll miss out on neat things

The online stuff gives you random buildings that other players have built along with a bunch of other random cool things scattered about the world. You can technically play it offline but a lot of the fun is seeing how others have changed things around you. It's a really cool online integration that you'll really miss out on playing offline.