Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

I'm a renter :)

And with the way interest rates and housing prices are going we're gonna stay that way for quite a long time! :sigh::hf::sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

CPColin posted:

Same.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Keyser_Soze posted:

My solar generates enough to run my AC 24/7 at 75 day-73 night degrees F. :chord:

I treat the outside like I would living on a research station on Venus or something.

Broke: Humanity colonizing Mars

Woke: Humanity recolonizing Earth devastated by climate change

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Some YOUTHS broke into our condo pool last week and smashed up the floor or casing or shell or whatever one calls the bottom of a pool, so the pool is closed for the foreseeable future while we bake in 110+ weather ☹️

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

And with the way interest rates and housing prices are going we're gonna stay that way for quite a long time! :sigh::hf::sigh:

Just rent from an elderly landlord so when they die in next year's 125F heatwave you can claim you had a verbal agreement to redo the yard as a rock garden or something instead of rent when someone finally gets around to seeing if anyone lives there

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

CPColin posted:

Lucky

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just wish I could put this acre of low-pitch roof to good use and have guilt-free cooling :(

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

CPColin posted:

I just wish I could put this acre of low-pitch roof to good use and have guilt-free cooling :(

Guilt-free cooling is easy, just turn the knob to the temperature you want and go do other stuff inside the place which is now the temperature you like.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:wrong:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, they're right. Your air conditioning didn't cause climate change and not using it won't stop it. Not keeping your home at a reasonably comfortable temperature is performative greenwashing. There's nothing to feel guilty about. We're not short on electricity (yet) and it is produced regardless of whether you use it or not.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pfft as if you could eliminate my guilt with fancy things like "reason"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Running your AC when it's hot out when it's powered by solar is a guilt free pleasure

CPColin posted:

Pfft as if you could eliminate my guilt with fancy things like "reason"

oof. Feel that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Even if you somehow wrote the most passionate speech of all time and eloquently used your incredible charisma to convince 100 households around you to not turn on the AC, it'd save a grand total of about 50 kWh on a grid with an absolute peak capacity of roughly 80 GWh. Might as well piss in the ocean.

Yeah if you turned an entire city off or something it would cut emissions and save a couple GWh but your individual usage as a household is loving nothing. It cannot be overstressed that for 99% of households worrying about your "individual carbon footprint" is a meaningless decrease in your quality of life at the behest of propaganda pushed by the oil and gas industry.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

Running your AC when it's hot out when it's powered by solar is a guilt free pleasure

oof. Feel that

you could power it with a tire fire and except for the ash settling in your neighbors it would have pretty much exactly the same carbon footprint lol. if we want to play this environmental guilt game i think it's pretty gross there's such a push to install solar when its fairly environmental destructive production is done elsewhere so we can pretend it's good. not that solar is bad, but mass panels on every house probably is. but liberals do love individual actions. if we had to do something that might actually fix problems like a state power agency we would have to do dastardly things like hire people and not collect a profit

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Even if you somehow wrote the most passionate speech of all time and eloquently used your incredible charisma to convince 100 households around you to not turn on the AC, it'd save a grand total of about 50 kWh on a grid with an absolute peak capacity of roughly 80 GWh. Might as well piss in the ocean.

Yeah if you turned an entire city off or something it would cut emissions and save a couple GWh but your individual usage as a household is loving nothing. It cannot be overstressed that for 99% of households worrying about your "individual carbon footprint" is a meaningless decrease in your quality of life at the behest of propaganda pushed by the oil and gas industry.

Carbon footprint is brilliant oil industry propaganda

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Sydin posted:

Couldn't you use this exact reasoning to justify littering? The personal impact of an empty bag of McDonalds, which is basically just paper anyway, when thrown out the window on the freeway is a drop in the bucket. Compared to a fly ash spill its less than nothing and needling people to hold onto their filthy trash until they can get to a garbage bin is going to turn people off the environmental movement, not to mention how unsanitary it is in this age of pestilence.

Its a really gross sentiment that allows you to eliminate all personal responsibility for your actions, just because you don't see the impact cause its taking place far away doesn't mean its not doing real and measurable harm.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Whether littering is bad or not is a social and cultural decision. I think it's bad, but not for environmental reasons.

That McDonald's bag, whether it is on the side of the road, or in a landfill has the same environmental harm either way. The purchase itself was more destructive than whatever happens with the bag.

Imagining that it is less harmful because you neatly organized it in a pile, that you then put on a boat to be dumped on a shore in another country is imaginary thinking.

The main points being that industry is a 10-100x contributor to climate change and that policy and political action to change policy are the only way to meaningfully cut emissions.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hekaton posted:

Couldn't you use this exact reasoning to justify littering? The personal impact of an empty bag of McDonalds, which is basically just paper anyway, when thrown out the window on the freeway is a drop in the bucket. Compared to a fly ash spill its less than nothing and needling people to hold onto their filthy trash until they can get to a garbage bin is going to turn people off the environmental movement, not to mention how unsanitary it is in this age of pestilence.

Its a really gross sentiment that allows you to eliminate all personal responsibility for your actions, just because you don't see the impact cause its taking place far away doesn't mean its not doing real and measurable harm.

you're right, we should also take only one shower a week to save the state water while we're at it, after all every little bit counts. anyway like the guy above says the real reason marxist harp on about ethical consumption not existing under capitalism is because the destructive act has already been performed. all that's left is whether you decide to use some of the already-extracted resource. it does nothing to the total sum if you do or don't. it barely does anything if an entire city magically united and refrained. especially when we're arguing about power production

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 1, 2022

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

hekaton posted:

Littering is not a systemic issue about how modern American society designs its transportation, power, and housing infrastructure. To take your argument to its ridiculous conclusion, anyone who drives a car powered by fossil fuels (ICE or EV) is doing harm to the environment and should stop immediately, even if it means losing their job from lack of attendance. Or to go even further, the carbon footprint of the average American is 16 tons/year. The carbon footprint of the average European is 8 tons/year. Half of the American's footprint is totally beyond their control and individual action will do nothing to reduce it. So, in order to reduce the extreme damage to the environment you cause by just existing, you should kill yourself. (This is obviously a reductive argument, I don't want anyone to kill themselves.)

The next part of this argument is then going to be about what temperature is a "reasonable" setting and for who. Opinions on this are going to vary widely and it is largely intractable, because while we are arguing 74 vs 78 (or whatever) Ted Cruz is singing the praising of bitcoin mining in Texas. The solution is to fix the systemic issues of transportation and power generation through fossil fuels as well as housing. Your AC setting will do nothing in those arenas.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

hekaton posted:

I, unsurprisingly, agree with this post, while simultaneously understanding the counterpoints being made.

Also, my guilt at running my A/C is partly wallet-based, not just climate-based. At least Sacramento just voted to extend Diablo another (ugh, only) five years!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can enjoy the heat with zero built because I have no AC.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally I'm heatmaxxing in preparation for the water wars by running my PC and making it brain damage level hot in my room.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

MickeyFinn posted:

To take your argument to its ridiculous conclusion, anyone who drives a car powered by fossil fuels (ICE or EV) is doing harm to the environment and should stop immediately, even if it means losing their job from lack of attendance.
alternatively, not every argument in the world needs to be treated as a slippery slope and immediately taken to its "ridiculous conclusion"

there is nuance between "use all fossil fuels" and "use some fossil fuels"

I don't think climate change can be solved by hoping individuals all make good choices, but the rhetoric where individual choice is thrown out altogether seems like it's justifying nihilism.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hekaton posted:

Sure, this would be the case if corporations accounted for 90% of all littering, or if people were advocating for consuming conspicuously rather than just living comfortably according to your ideals. I drive as little as possible, but not because I think I'm saving the planet by doing it or feel guilty about going to the store in my car, but just because I don't like cars or driving and avoid them as much as possible. I doubt you'd call me identical to a gas-guzzling megatruck driver rolling coal, even if neither of us cares about our personal impact on the environment (for wildly different reasons).

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

alternatively, not every argument in the world needs to be treated as a slippery slope and immediately taken to its "ridiculous conclusion"

there is nuance between "use all fossil fuels" and "use some fossil fuels"

I don't think climate change can be solved by hoping individuals all make good choices, but the rhetoric where individual choice is thrown out altogether seems like it's justifying nihilism.

I think you are confused? I’m saying individuals should have the choice to set their thermostat to whatever temperature they prefer and not feel guilty about it. No one in this thread/forum is personally responsible for the systemic use of fossil fuels in America.

Nor do I believe in nihilism/nothing matters. But your thermostat setting definitely doesn’t matter. You can do anything from changing your voting pattern to engaging in ecoterrorism (not recommended) and that will be more consequential then pushing your thermostat up a few degrees.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Can't believe all this guiltshaming

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MickeyFinn posted:

I think you are confused? I’m saying individuals should have the choice to set their thermostat to whatever temperature they prefer and not feel guilty about it. No one in this thread/forum is personally responsible for the systemic use of fossil fuels in America.

Nor do I believe in nihilism/nothing matters. But your thermostat setting definitely doesn’t matter. You can do anything from changing your voting pattern to engaging in ecoterrorism (not recommended) and that will be more consequential then pushing your thermostat up a few degrees.

Yeah this, thank you for the succinct post. If not using your AC or setting it higher makes you feel good then hey great, you do you. But don't make yourself miserable for sole reason of thinking it makes a difference, because it absolutely does not.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the problem is blanket allocation of resources regardless of actual need so an empty condo with zero residents has the same allocation as one with four or five residents and a lawn and etc.

Kill your lawn, of course, but it would be nice to feed fruit trees and etc.

There are probably endless amounts of office space with the occupancy of many thousands but zero tenants or zero employees onsite that is wasting countless amounts of energy that could be keeping a school or retirement home cool enough for habitation.

I really worry about people working in places like amazon warehouses where heatstroke is a foregone conclusion.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I like driving :( At least at night, w/ light traffic, chill music on and the dog in the passenger seat. I find it relaxing. Sorry everyone.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

sb hermit posted:

Kill your lawn, of course, but it would be nice to feed fruit trees and etc.

I got really annoyed because the property manager sent a note that rent is going up $65, partly due to the rising costs of water, when the owner was just here a week ago, turning the automatic sprinklers back on to water the dirt. :argh:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
well i cant run both my aircons without tripping the breaker so im basically immune to conservation crimes. suck it down haters

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

Personally I'm heatmaxxing in preparation for the water wars by running my PC and making it brain damage level hot in my room.

my ex gf would set the thermostat to 80 and had 10000 lbs weighted blankets and i'd have insane fever nightmares if i slept under that poo poo. would end up nude and sweating on top of the sheets making a big puddle

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

withak posted:

I can enjoy the heat with zero built because I have no AC.

house i grew up in had no ac and it wasn'ta big deal. just have to do it vintage mexican villa style. close up the blinds and windows at like 5am so it keeps it cool inside, then open it all up in the evening and air it out. but that house had good cross ventilation (was villa style) so i guess thats intentional. in this little apartment i can usually do no ac but on days like this i give up and run that poo poo. im on the top floor and this sucker turns into an oven. only ran it 2 days so far this summer tho (today being one of them) so i dont feel too guilty. my neighbors have a bajillion BTU custom beast they installed like 5 inches from my bedroom window which sounds like a jet aircraft and runs 24/7

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Sure, this would be the case if corporations accounted for 90% of all littering, or if people were advocating for consuming conspicuously rather than just living comfortably according to your ideals. I drive as little as possible, but not because I think I'm saving the planet by doing it or feel guilty about going to the store in my car, but just because I don't like cars or driving and avoid them as much as possible. I doubt you'd call me identical to a gas-guzzling megatruck driver rolling coal, even if neither of us cares about our personal impact on the environment (for wildly different reasons).

agreed

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

house i grew up in had no ac and it wasn'ta big deal. just have to do it vintage mexican villa style. close up the blinds and windows at like 5am so it keeps it cool inside, then open it all up in the evening and air it out. but that house had good cross ventilation (was villa style) so i guess thats intentional. in this little apartment i can usually do no ac but on days like this i give up and run that poo poo. im on the top floor and this sucker turns into an oven. only ran it 2 days so far this summer tho (today being one of them) so i dont feel too guilty. my neighbors have a bajillion BTU custom beast they installed like 5 inches from my bedroom window which sounds like a jet aircraft and runs 24/7

sounds like you need to get an even louder one and set that poo poo to 60

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Smythe posted:

my ex gf would set the thermostat to 80 and had 10000 lbs weighted blankets and i'd have insane fever nightmares if i slept under that poo poo. would end up nude and sweating on top of the sheets making a big puddle

Sounds hot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hekaton posted:

in fact one of first anti-littering campaigns was exactly that: a bunch of corporations that manufacture food switched away from things like reusable glass bottles to disposable packaging and then immediately pushed that marketing to blame the resultant increases in trash (and littering) on the consumer instead

that crying "indian" was stood up there entirely to shield corporate america from its sins

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I opened my windows at 0600 hours this morning and ran my whole house fan but all that disgusting outside air did was make my eyes water and then I had to sneeze incessantly and now there is also dust everywhere.

I then went outside of my command module at 1500 hours without proper gear to get the mail and my eyes melted and now I'm blind.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tayter Swift posted:

I like driving :( At least at night, w/ light traffic, chill music on and the dog in the passenger seat. I find it relaxing. Sorry everyone.

It don't matter

None'a this matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/qX-YfuVQmX8