Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

Asian Cinema -

there's a kid whose neck is so kinked its debilitating and his dad, who's having a lot of problems with the mom, sees it as an excuse to go away from home so he can gently caress boys in bath houses while taking the kid to visit different doctors/mystics etc around the country. On one trip the kid is tired of waiting for the dad to come back to the hotel so he goes to a bath house to try and relax when a strange man enters his room and jerks him off. the light turns on. it's his dad. the dad, so embarassed that he jerked off his son, slaps him so hard it fixes his neck.

American Cinema -

A guy in a cape stops a big laser

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I have read some Taiwanese commentators have predicted that the way China will squeeze in the semi industry is going to be similar to how China "barged" in other tech/manufacturing industries.

Basically China fabs will make the low end so cheap and “cabbage priced” it will make other countries fabs unprofitable in the low end. And in term it will make other fabs exit the low end/high volume market; the other fabs including even TSMC still have alot of old factories that make 120nm chips. They made the investment a long time ago and the investors expected these old fabs will keep turning a profit on the balance sheet. But if the Chinese fabs make the low end market unprofitable for the non-Chinese fabs, it will essentially slam the brake on the R&D dollar for all high end development.

One example i can make an analogy to is the camera market. The 4 major Japanese camera makers have formed their little monopoly club for decades, however they heavily depended on the point-and-shoot cameras, bridge cameras, and entry level (prosumer) APSC cameras to keep their high end pro products active. Over the last 20 years, these low and mid end market has been completely annihilated by smartphones and action cameras, 360 cameras and drones. And the newcomers are basically all Chinese and US companies offering different solutions from hardware and software ends to solve the same photo taking problem. The 4 major brands switched to a much slower schedule on new professional camera release. I have said a long time ago the Japanese need to consolidate down to maybe 2 brands to survive.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
RIP RedPillCoach. Remembering our fallen heroes of the war.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

this allusion meant posted:

smic is making what appears to be 7nm-class chips based on multi-patterning techniques at feature sizes close to what tsmc had before finally using euv. however they have no obvious ways of acquiring euv lithography or any future advances beyond that at the time. domestic technology at those steps in the chain are further behind than the fab and design steps. the financial situation is probably really corrupt and hosed up because of being a big strategic deal that the state wants to throw money at but i don’t know the details. however that is not likely to be the main issue going forward

ultimately they can survive having worse chips and having to take their time filling in the gaps from sanctions and export controls. there’s no magic involved that can’t be rediscovered the hard way and there’s no threat to life from slow smartphones. the researchers who use supercomputers may be a bit sad

Is this a syq?

Are there any actual obstacles here to their chip development other than the same "China can't do things that are hard" I see in every western news article?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

unwantedplatypus posted:

Is this a syq?

Are there any actual obstacles here to their chip development other than the same "China can't do things that are hard" I see in every western news article?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Antonymous posted:

lol

edit: they censored 1% of the footage and of that 1%, 90% was for crude sexual jokes

Lgbt2qia2+s

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

What legal mechanisms are the US using to make it a crime or whatever for ASML to sell lithography stuff to the Chinese?

Seems kinda insane.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Most of the Chinese political media I read is furiously making GBS threads on Gorbachev right now lmao. Lots of comments amounting to "He betrayed communism and drove his country into the ground, but at least China learned from his mistakes"
gorb couldnt even keep the pizza hut smdh

deng stays winning

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

unwantedplatypus posted:

Is this a syq?

the lithography issue is at least believed to be a legitimately huge technical obstacle. i think China can do it, it will probably just take some years. it could also be a smaller technical issue than it's believed to be and they just go full suez.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Antonymous posted:

Asian Cinema -

there's a kid whose neck is so kinked its debilitating and his dad, who's having a lot of problems with the mom, sees it as an excuse to go away from home so he can gently caress boys in bath houses while taking the kid to visit different doctors/mystics etc around the country. On one trip the kid is tired of waiting for the dad to come back to the hotel so he goes to a bath house to try and relax when a strange man enters his room and jerks him off. the light turns on. it's his dad. the dad, so embarassed that he jerked off his son, slaps him so hard it fixes his neck.

American Cinema -

A guy in a cape stops a big laser

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Dumb question that i don't know where else to ask: Is there a C-Spam thread where I can post a few relevant things about Serbia? One that preferably isn't one of those hosed up GBS style minstrel show threads about the balkans or ex-yu that show up like once every other month.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Europe is part of Asia
:justpost:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Europe is part of Asia
:justpost:

west asia

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my dad posted:

Dumb question that i don't know where else to ask: Is there a C-Spam thread where I can post a few relevant things about Serbia? One that preferably isn't one of those hosed up GBS style minstrel show threads about the balkans or ex-yu that show up like once every other month.

this is probably the best we've got

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

my dad posted:

Start one my dude. Serbia owns by the way I drive through it pretty often, love it. Insanely good meat pies. And seriously good vibes, at least in the places I stop.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my dad posted:

Apologies OP, it’s fun to recreate one everytime I see someone from the balkans say some hosed up poo poo on Twitter.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Serbia sucks who cares about it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is the LGBTQIA2S+ identity that was censored just "dude who fucks his lady cousin"? sounds a lot more like incest than LGBT stuff

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

Serbia sucks who cares about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTvlD5fFjJI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's just cause Xi is a really big Boban fan

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

badonkadonk

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zodium posted:

the lithography issue is at least believed to be a legitimately huge technical obstacle. i think China can do it, it will probably just take some years. it could also be a smaller technical issue than it's believed to be and they just go full suez.

Yeah the problem with lithography is that the initial capital investment is absolutely Titanic and you need a very large technical knowledge base to proceed down the size scale. Something that may gently caress the US up though is that sales to China are a pretty significant part of the market for sales of older machines, and if the option is "lose 20% of your sales base with no replacement" and "defy the US", well,

E: and even then China could surprise everyone and come up with a new way to use older chips to get parity, like the AMD chiplet stacking stuff

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Marzzle posted:

is the LGBTQIA2S+ identity that was censored just "dude who fucks his lady cousin"? sounds a lot more like incest than LGBT stuff

it’s a little circuitous but basically the reason the incest joke is censored is general disapproval of sex jokes in television and not necessarily anything specific to incest (one can imagine a different set of censorship rules that would allow the other stuff but censor the incest, but that’s not what exists). however if you just say that the censors are about 20% more prudish than ours and cover a slightly more modern range of formats, since we also limit adult content in broadcasting, that doesn’t sound very interesting. so basically to attack china you say that all the sex censorship is actually part of a heteronormative patriarchal system and therefore bad, which sounds plausible enough at the top level low detail analysis, and is true to an extent, but probably this is not the best show to demonstrate the point. however when you then copy and paste this analysis onto every instance of the sex joke censorship many individual cases seem very ill-fitting and indeed quite offensive to the people whose oppression is supposedly being criticized

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Also for reference when I talk about the insane capital cost of an upper tier fab is north of 20 billion (with a b) dollars. For one fab. Also it won't actually be up and running for like 3 years while everything warms up and even then the costs of running the plant are super high. The fact that non-state entities run them at all is frankly kind of astounding given the amount of long term planning they force you to do

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Alright, I'll probably repost this in the Europe(an Union) thread too.

In the recent years, Serbia's coal industry got hosed up pretty badly by various hazards and disasters, and our power production suffered pretty badly for it. As an added bonus, coal production this year is on the lower end of what could have been expected in the conditions. With the ongoing trade clusterfuck, we've started importing a lot of power, and it's likely that it's going to significantly escalate when winter hits. We're already experiencing major food price hikes, and the first signs of shortages of basic produce. (it's still not particularly bad, but you're starting to see things like all the stores in an area running out of milk mid-day, etc). The national power company is offering (additional) reduction of power bills for people who drop their power consumption by a certain percentage over the next few months, relative to their prior power spending, but the implication inbetween the lines is that the price is going to go up in general for everyone.

One of the options being brought up by our government (in a way that a lot of poo poo 'options' were brought up in before being implemented) is a loan from the IMF, in exchange for them getting to decide how our national power infrastructure is run. For ideas on what happens when IMF makes deals like that with countries in the Balkans, you are free to look at what happened in Greece.
The recent media storm about Kosovo fits this in nicely with the cycle of europe/nato making GBS threads on us out of nowhere, followed by our government puffing up as the world's greatest patriots who'd never do what the eu tells them, followed by some sort of loud deescalation broadcasted everywhere, and a quiet surrender of yet another part of our economy that never gets mentioned outside of the country and is heavily downplayed within it. Especially when I consider how laser-focused the EU was on loving with our energy sector ever since the war in Ukraine begun.

poo poo's gonna get ugly this winter. Very ugly. And if the IMF deal goes through, it's gonna stay ugly.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

my dad posted:

In the recent years, Serbia's coal industry got hosed up pretty badly by various hazards and disasters, and our power production suffered pretty badly for it. As an added bonus, coal production this year is on the lower end of what could have been expected in the conditions. With the ongoing trade clusterfuck, we've started importing a lot of power, and it's likely that it's going to significantly escalate when winter hits. We're already experiencing major food price hikes, and the first signs of shortages of basic produce. (it's still not particularly bad, but you're starting to see things like all the stores in an area running out of milk mid-day, etc). The national power company is offering (additional) reduction of power bills for people who drop their power consumption by a certain percentage over the next few months, relative to their prior power spending, but the implication inbetween the lines is that the price is going to go up in general for everyone.

One of the options being brought up by our government (in a way that a lot of poo poo 'options' were brought up in before being implemented) is a loan from the IMF, in exchange for them getting to decide how our national power infrastructure is run. For ideas on what happens when IMF makes deals like that with countries in the Balkans, you are free to look at what happened in Greece.
The recent media storm about Kosovo fits this in nicely with the cycle of europe/nato making GBS threads on us out of nowhere, followed by our government puffing up as the world's greatest patriots who'd never do what the eu tells them, followed by some sort of loud deescalation broadcasted everywhere, and a quiet surrender of yet another part of our economy that never gets mentioned outside of the country and is heavily downplayed within it. Especially when I consider how laser-focused the EU was on loving with our energy sector ever since the war in Ukraine begun.

poo poo's gonna get ugly this winter. Very ugly. And if the IMF deal goes through, it's gonna stay ugly.

Would you say that Serbia is being debt trapped by the IMF with this sort of loan?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The satelite photos of Pakistan are crazy, it's like it suddenly grew a gargantuan lake easily visible from space.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Would you say that Serbia is being debt trapped by the IMF with this sort of loan?

Less of a trap, more of a pen.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this article has a before/after slider

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/asia/pakistan-floods-forms-inland-lake-satellite-intl-hnk/index.html

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Land of the five rivers? more like land of the lake.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
oh this has some info on the state of mainland litho

https://twitter.com/alubacap/status/1565423104582631425?s=21&t=Ir3DrSK4RyNYSdv6myNMlA

i am talking about the article in the first tweet. the second one just has a neat chart and it’s efficient to link it to embed both

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

my dad posted:

I think the EU will toss sanctions in the trash after the first round of gas riots in the winter because they don't actually care about what happens in east europe like the USA does and are just waiting for an excuse to go "well we tried sorry america :)"

(this excepts poland, who no one really needs to try to impress anyway)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

And then comes the NY Times article about Western Europe's Nazi Problem

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Marzzle posted:

I think the EU will toss sanctions in the trash after the first round of gas riots in the winter because they don't actually care about what happens in east europe like the USA does and are just waiting for an excuse to go "well we tried sorry america :)"

(this excepts poland, who no one really needs to try to impress anyway)

Eh, I feel the whole press and mid-level official segment kinda jumped after the Americans into the Russia-gate hole. No brain unbroken.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It will be pretty hilarious if Germany restart Nordstream 2 by the next PM, who ever it will be.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

genericnick posted:

Eh, I feel the whole press and mid-level official segment kinda jumped after the Americans into the Russia-gate hole. No brain unbroken.

https://twitter.com/ivan_8848/status/1565067553671626760?s=20&t=l3FsZ7uYak5d3jxuN1UHsw

Yeah

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What's the Cspam take on Jinnah? Is Pakistan a mistake?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/meghamohan/status/1565114789935939593

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

What's the Cspam take on Jinnah? Is Pakistan a mistake?

Gujaratis shouldn't get into the legal bidness.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what is lithography. lith means stone right. they making GPUs out of stone now or are they talking about sand. sand ain't rocks bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

what is lithography. lith means stone right. they making GPUs out of stone now or are they talking about sand. sand ain't rocks bitch

At the scale that they're making these chips, you have to ETCH the transistors onto the silicon, hence lithography, drawing on rocks