Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

At the scale that they're making these chips, you have to ETCH the transistors onto the silicon, hence lithography, drawing on rocks

I thought that's what "etching" was

e: referring to this graphic
https://twitter.com/AlubaCap/status/1565423104582631425?s=20&t=TvD1EHlHIBRiXmPi6nCs2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

what is lithography. lith means stone right. they making GPUs out of stone now or are they talking about sand. sand ain't rocks bitch

quote:

This element formed compounds similar to those of sodium and potassium, though its carbonate and hydroxide were less soluble in water and less alkaline.[72] Berzelius gave the alkaline material the name "lithion/lithina", from the Greek word λιθoς (transliterated as lithos, meaning "stone"), to reflect its discovery in a solid mineral, as opposed to potassium, which had been discovered in plant ashes, and sodium, which was known partly for its high abundance in animal blood. He named the metal inside the material "lithium".[5][66][71]

duh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

What's the Cspam take on Jinnah? Is Pakistan a mistake?

Bad, yes

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

indigi posted:

what is lithography. lith means stone right. they making GPUs out of stone now or are they talking about sand. sand ain't rocks bitch

they melt the sand into really pure silicon, then cut the silicon into thin circles, then cut grooves into the circles with lasers and poo poo, and put chemicals on the etched patterns to deposit circuits and transistors and stuff on the silicon, and then they cut it all up into rectangles. these things are lithography broadly, but more narrowly it refers to the people who make the laser machines that cut the grooves

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this allusion meant posted:

they melt the sand into really pure silicon, then cut the silicon into thin circles, then cut grooves into the circles with lasers and poo poo, and put chemicals on the etched patterns to deposit circuits and transistors and stuff on the silicon, and then they cut it all up into rectangles. these things are lithography broadly, but more narrowly it refers to the people who make the laser machines that cut the grooves

that's cool but it sounds like laser etching to my uneducated ear, is there a difference or is lithography just like... super Ballers Only tier etching

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

indigi posted:

that's cool but it sounds like laser etching to my uneducated ear, is there a difference or is lithography just like... super Ballers Only tier etching

are you familiar with nanometers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

are you familiar with nanometers

please just explain the different without joking about my penis

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

I'm indigi's lithographer and I assure you it is no laughing matter

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
i mean i do not have particularly detailed technical knowledge; i'm interested in this stuff primarily for gaming reasons. but afaik they've been doing commercial chip fabrication using these concepts since the 60s, and have been inventing tricks to make smaller patterns every couple years since then. also i guess it's technically not lasers but alternating steps of chemicals and light shined through patterned masks

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

indigi posted:

my uncle does it but he says I can't show you or he'd get in trouble

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

indigi posted:

https://spie.org/news/microlithography-from-contact-printing-to-projection-systems?SSO=1

this is an ancient but readable overview which will explain what it is and why it is called lithography. bonus for hilarious predictions that you now know to be blown away.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This may seem dumb but why does china actually need chip parity? Like what do the latest chips actually get you in a material, non-fart-app sense? Like can they fly missiles and moon rockets better somehow or is it all just consumer bullshit?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
loading times are bullshit

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

indigi posted:

I thought that's what "etching" was

e: referring to this graphic
https://twitter.com/AlubaCap/status/1565423104582631425?s=20&t=TvD1EHlHIBRiXmPi6nCs2w

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This may seem dumb but why does china actually need chip parity? Like what do the latest chips actually get you in a material, non-fart-app sense? Like can they fly missiles and moon rockets better somehow or is it all just consumer bullshit?

none of the consumer poo poo is banned. China absolutely needs chip parity, maybe at one point it didn't, but its been proven that the US is a bad actor when it comes to international trade and supply chains for critical technologies. Anything the US and it's allies can do China needs to do better.

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Sep 2, 2022

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Slavvy posted:

high performance computing is relevant to fields like energy and mineral exploration and development, weather and climate forecasting, the kind of nuclear weapons development that doesn't get you condemned like the dprk gets (simulation-based), complex robotics and ai stuff (has some kinda military applications in addition to tech economy scams), a variety of biology-related stuff (many things like proteins and sub-cellular structures are very complex relative to most molecules but can be reliably simulated given sufficient compute resources), and chip design itself relies heavily on simulation. strictly speaking if they get into a war the lack of chip parity will not cause them to fail, but if access to international computing supply chains can be cut off short of war, china will face a period of relatively slower development in key strategic scientific fields while it struggles to catch up. i don't think missiles or other weapons really rely on having the fanciest chips in them but their development involves a lot of workstation computers

the consumer bullshit doesn't matter, you can definitely make people deal with slower phones these days. the way things are going i'll probably replace my iphone around year 9-10 of owning it and i consider myself a spendy treat hog by global standards. that's just the current model for financing development of the important stuff

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Marzzle posted:

I think the EU will toss sanctions in the trash after the first round of gas riots in the winter because they don't actually care about what happens in east europe like the USA does and are just waiting for an excuse to go "well we tried sorry america :)"

(this excepts poland, who no one really needs to try to impress anyway)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

high performance computing is relevant to fields like energy and mineral exploration and development, weather and climate forecasting, the kind of nuclear weapons development that doesn't get you condemned like the dprk gets (simulation-based), complex robotics and ai stuff (has some kinda military applications in addition to tech economy scams), a variety of biology-related stuff (many things like proteins and sub-cellular structures are very complex relative to most molecules but can be reliably simulated given sufficient compute resources), and chip design itself relies heavily on simulation. strictly speaking if they get into a war the lack of chip parity will not cause them to fail, but if access to international computing supply chains can be cut off short of war, china will face a period of relatively slower development in key strategic scientific fields while it struggles to catch up. i don't think missiles or other weapons really rely on having the fanciest chips in them but their development involves a lot of workstation computers

the consumer bullshit doesn't matter, you can definitely make people deal with slower phones these days. the way things are going i'll probably replace my iphone around year 9-10 of owning it and i consider myself a spendy treat hog by global standards. that's just the current model for financing development of the important stuff

Ok this kind of makes sense but what is it about the more cutting edge chips that makes that possible, that isn't possible with the older ones? Like I thought it was just a circuit density thing so they'd have to spend more resources to do the same stuff over a longer period of time. Is there some kind of actual qualitative difference in the sense that certain things you just outright can't do with the older hardware?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

my dad posted:

Dumb question that i don't know where else to ask: Is there a C-Spam thread where I can post a few relevant things about Serbia? One that preferably isn't one of those hosed up GBS style minstrel show threads about the balkans or ex-yu that show up like once every other month.

I would like to see posts about Serbia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Like I thought it was just a circuit density thing so they'd have to spend more resources to do the same stuff over a longer period of time.

that's the point of wanting better chips, yes. I'm not familiar as to how much it adds up to over time that we can say "it'll be fine to just have slower supercomputers if China just makes more of them and spends more energy to do the same work" at the scale of the work involved, but that's the whole point of it, even if you technically don't gain any newer functionality from smaller lithography

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

indigi posted:

you need to hit a droplet of tin in a vacuum with a 500 kw laser to make the EUV light

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
breakdowns of the xinjiang UN report coming out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAj89rm-GkM

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's the point of wanting better chips, yes. I'm not familiar as to how much it adds up to over time that we can say "it'll be fine to just have slower supercomputers if China just makes more of them and spends more energy to do the same work" at the scale of the work involved, but that's the whole point of it, even if you technically don't gain any newer functionality from smaller lithography

Right so that would imply it really costs them nothing but willy waving factor in the long run? Like I don't think the US is suddenly going to overturn their sliding decline relative to china via faster chips.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
a thread about the album
https://twitter.com/fakehistoryhunt/status/1565357318698635266?s=20&t=D18GIDqHuK0rfBTVOdvpSg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Right so that would imply it really costs them nothing but willy waving factor in the long run? Like I don't think the US is suddenly going to overturn their sliding decline relative to china via faster chips.

I guess? I'm only speaking from a consumer perspective when I say that China could absolutely get by even if their desktop computers and laptops were "only" using 24 or 14nm technology, because office work doesn't need that much horsepower, and even productivity (video editing, graphical design on a workstation) can simply be overcome by throwing more time and hardware at it

I do not know if this adds up to something significant at the bleeding edge of scientific, military, and AI applications

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Slavvy posted:

Ok this kind of makes sense but what is it about the more cutting edge chips that makes that possible, that isn't possible with the older ones? Like I thought it was just a circuit density thing so they'd have to spend more resources to do the same stuff over a longer period of time. Is there some kind of actual qualitative difference in the sense that certain things you just outright can't do with the older hardware?

idk the specifics but i imagine it's analogous to why there's always a graphics card in a gaming PC instead of just a bunch of CPUs. certain architectures are better at different types of calculations, whether its floating point or AI poo poo and software libraries lean on those advantages. the AI dam builders and dock crane stuff probably uses those libraries.

not having those chips means you can't use those libraries and have to write your own for something that might not be worth it. like you can get reflections in a game, but if you don't have a modern graphics card with raytracing, you'll probably just bake them in to static objects and turn them off for dynamic actions

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

I think you're getting close to it. I believe it is an overall investment issue. Sure, you could use 1980s computer chips for simulations, but you'd need X chips to crunch the numbers in Y time, which needs Z power, W floor space, U networking materials, V janitors...

Certain computational tasks cannot be split between more processors, too.

You also want good yields, too.

Resource and manpower efficiency is the issue, I think.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

At the scale that they're making these chips, you have to ETCH the transistors onto the silicon, hence lithography, drawing on rocks

p cool that modern computers essentially run on very small cave paintings

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

crepeface posted:

breakdowns of the xinjiang UN report coming out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAj89rm-GkM

The great battle is over. Our guy was right the entire time; march his haters into the reeducation camps. C-SPAM is victorious.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Thats one small step for the spam, one giant leap for genocide denial

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I checked out the rebuttal, but found it needs some OCR pass to search. The actual report, from the small section I looked at in detail, doesn't seem to have investigated anything in any meaningful detail. Reading the footnotes, it was like: some dude said "restrictions were imposed on prayer, the keeping of Qurans and accessing mosques". They made no effort to clarify or seek out additional sources. Another "difficult to verify alleged patterns of (mosque) destruction". And another "OHCHR is not in a position to confirm these examples and the extent of which such policy is applied and enforced throughout XUAR".

Any highlights anyone else found?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

jinnah's thesis wa that having a separate state for muslims was necessary because hindu majoritarian politics would eventually turn on the muslim minority. haha what an incorrect doofus!!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's like 350 million Muslims in Pakistan and Bangladesh. Idk how many are voting age but Modi's initial victory in 2014 was by a 70 million vote margin so who's to say how viable Hindu nationalism would be if Muslim population was significantly larger. Also the Partition and the wars were really, really bad, so you have to factor that into the cost/benefit analysis.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
IMO the reason different religions became popular in South Asia to begin with was the caste system embed in Hinduism. Some ethnic groups just get fuckd by the old religion no matter what, so they picked up various new religions that don't have that discrimination embed in the core.

So the split of the south Asia continent into different nation states was caused more by the indigenous discrimination system, less by British. Yeah I know Pakistan has dalit too but Islam doesn't have that caste system embedded.

Neither does Buddhism have discrimination embedded BTW but Buddhism got absolutely ran out of the town by Islam in the entire South and Central Asia. It only met resistance in the China core and Indochina peninsula. You can see Xinjiang is at the fallline of different religions.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Sep 2, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the uighurs actually destroyed some ancient uighur stuff cause it was buddhist and they had culturally forgotten their own conversion and thought it must be from some civilization they defeated. I guess christians did that poo poo all the time too, destroy some pagan stuff

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't want to say anything too mean about Hinduism because I have some Indian immigrants in my family and used to live with a devout Hindu but it's a pretty silly religion. I mean they all are I guess.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Antonymous posted:

the uighurs actually destroyed some ancient uighur stuff cause it was buddhist and they had culturally forgotten their own conversion and thought it must be from some civilization they defeated. I guess christians did that poo poo all the time too, destroy some pagan stuff

The Hazara people are still loving pissed about those Bamian Buddhas that the Taliban blew up as a 'gently caress you' after getting their asses handed to them by Khan Abdul Mazari, may Allah bless his soul

lollontee has issued a correction as of 10:54 on Sep 2, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mila kunis posted:

jinnah's thesis wa that having a separate state for muslims was necessary because hindu majoritarian politics would eventually turn on the muslim minority. haha what an incorrect doofus!!

I wonder why the groups that were flying the red flag a year before partition are now locked in a battle to the death. Maybe it had to do with some of the largest ethnic displacement in the world?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

IMO the reason different religions became popular in South Asia to begin with was the caste system embed in Hinduism. Some ethnic groups just get fuckd by the old religion no matter what, so they picked up various new religions that don't have that discrimination embed in the core.

So the split of the south Asia continent into different nation states was caused more by the indigenous discrimination system, less by British. Yeah I know Pakistan has dalit too but Islam doesn't have that caste system embedded.

Neither does Buddhism have discrimination embedded BTW but Buddhism got absolutely ran out of the town by Islam in the entire South and Central Asia. It only met resistance in the China core and Indochina peninsula. You can see Xinjiang is at the fallline of different religions.

Different religions became popular in india because it was beneficial to convert into the ruler's religion, the same as in far more egalitarian persia. In the case of bengal, it was properly settled and consolidated by successive waves of turkic, afghan and then mughal rulers who adapted the preexisting population into islamic jurisprudence instead of the hindu one. Hell, Bengal used to be majority buddhist and the faith depended upon royal patronage. The caste system stuck in the subcontinent because there really hasn't been any sort of totalizing social revolution done by the state as happened in east asia, but rather a slow and gradual reform. Now polite and well educated people will cluck their tongue and say that of course their children can marry whoever they want before threatening them behind closed doors. The less polite and educated will still tie a noose to a tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Family friends with a Hong Kongese Buddhist family. A fortune teller basically came up with some prediction that the father of the family needed to be educated in Britain during his childhood, while in school he was constantly bullied for being Chinese and it made him a very bitter angry man. Their son also gets completely neglected because a fortune teller predicted he would die in his adolescence, they are very cold with him, they treat their daughter pretty well though.

On the weird christian evangelical side. Family friends with a married couple who are the fail kids of wealthy taiwanese industrialists who failed out of the family business before trying to start up various small businesses which failed. They then turned to religion hard (and also bought a crap ton of rental properties in Arizona and Sacramento). They built up a pretty sizeable church/compound/kindergarten (the Kindergarten is associated with Montessori) in Kyrgyzstan that virtually no one attends. They didn't bother to learn the local language(after 10+ years they still rely on a translator despite living in country for a majority of that time), they got sick constantly from the local food/water, and finally they somehow got bilked out of church/compound part of the property by the Elder of the church. At the start of the Ukraine invasion the Kyrgyzstani som dropped in value because it is tied to the Russian ruble, their teachers were in pretty acute financial distress. The head teacher asked for a pay raise and she organized the other teachers to ask for a pay raise too so they sacked her. The joke we tell about the family is that they are lucky they are so incompetent otherwise they would probably be murdered because they keep get warnings of the presence of ISIS or some weird ISIS affiliate in the region they are preaching in.