Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PinkoBastard posted:

I will never stop buying movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i miss the pre-covid B-movie discount bins at best buy et al. full of medicre BUT $6 a piece blus

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

PinkoBastard posted:

zer0spunk posted:

the real enemy is space

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

PinkoBastard posted:

We really are spoiled now with these boutique companies like VS and Severin and so on.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

We really are spoiled now with these boutique companies like VS and Severin and so on.

It would have been inconceivable to me as a kid, not just in terms of the breadth but also the quality at which the movies are presented.

I’m in some golden era sci fi/horror groups and the older folks on there really put things into perspective too, when they’re so stoked to be watching a DVD of something like The Deadly Mantis for the first time in 60 years. They’ve subsisted on a hazy memory of watching it one time in the autumn of ‘65 and maybe found some stills in magazines over the years or whatever, and I actually find it really touching to see them reconnect with the films that made such a big impression on them.

Edit: I guess it wouldn’t be “inconceivable” because we had movie rentals etc but for true horror geeks the level of choice these days is still really something else

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 2, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1565507596273983490?s=20&t=2YNF-jFeM1-LjaQ4t3HtEA

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I thought goofy plastic dvd collector’s edition crap was dead, that’s genuinely nice to see

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should’ve designed it so you have to stick your hand into the bear trap to get the discs out.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Can I control an Xbox with it, or..?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy Blu-ray for $24.99 today at Amazon, a steal considering the Blu-ray is the superior release over the mucked-up 4k set.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

pwn posted:

Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy Blu-ray for $24.99 today at Amazon, a steal considering the Blu-ray is the superior release over the mucked-up 4k set.

LMAO, that UHD set is down to $43.99. I know people have their issues w/ it, but I don't mind it too much. OK, yes something are very obviously effects thanks to upscaling but whatever. The color grading is nice!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With LOTR the real debate is about whether or not the UHDs are worth an upgrade if you already own the blu rays. I can see both sides of that discussion, but if you're buying the trilogy for the first time I do think the UHDs are clearly the best choice overall, even if they do come with some minor downsides. The blu rays are far from perfect themselves, so it's a matter of weighing pros and cons.

My spooky season selections are coming into a bit more focus now that we're into September. I already have Child's Play, Child's Play 2, and Species ready to go, and I think what I've decided to go with is my usual philosophy of prioritizing stuff that I don't already own over spending my budget on double-dipping. So I'm thinking Army of Darkness, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Fright Night and possibly Halloween 6(I'm gradually building a complete Halloween collection) to round out the season. We'll see if I have the will power to resist upgrading to The Fog UHD, which I don't really need but drat it's tough to pass up.

Hopefully next year we'll get individual releases for Creature From the Black Lagoon and Bride of Frankenstein, because I already have the big Universal Monster blu set so I only want to upgrade the few that are my absolute favorites.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Hopefully next year we'll get individual releases for Creature From the Black Lagoon and Bride of Frankenstein, because I already have the big Universal Monster blu set so I only want to upgrade the few that are my absolute favorites.

I’ve also bought the universal monster films (and their sequels) an embarrassing number of times, I have the big blu ray set and I love it…

…and if they put out another massive set on 4K I’ll probably buckle and buy that too, so I’m taking a “wait and see” approach and not upgrading any of them just yet.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

With LOTR the real debate is about whether or not the UHDs are worth an upgrade if you already own the blu rays. I can see both sides of that discussion, but if you're buying the trilogy for the first time I do think the UHDs are clearly the best choice overall, even if they do come with some minor downsides. The blu rays are far from perfect themselves, so it's a matter of weighing pros and cons.

My spooky season selections are coming into a bit more focus now that we're into September. I already have Child's Play, Child's Play 2, and Species ready to go, and I think what I've decided to go with is my usual philosophy of prioritizing stuff that I don't already own over spending my budget on double-dipping. So I'm thinking Army of Darkness, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Fright Night and possibly Halloween 6(I'm gradually building a complete Halloween collection) to round out the season. We'll see if I have the will power to resist upgrading to The Fog UHD, which I don't really need but drat it's tough to pass up.

I just noticed Ghost Watch is getting a blu-ray on October 25th, too. I haven't read much buzz about that in here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PinkoBastard posted:

I will never ever stop buying movies.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Franchescanado posted:

I just noticed Ghost Watch is getting a blu-ray on October 25th, too. I haven't read much buzz about that in here.

I thought Ghost Watch was fun enough. Apparently certain people love it. If it weren't for those really solid commercials, it'd be way better than WNUF Halloween Special.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ghostwatch is dope and the fact it fooled the uk into a panic is amazing

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MacheteZombie posted:

Ghostwatch is dope and the fact it fooled the uk into a panic is amazing

I will always think fondly of Michael Parkinson for his part in this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I thought Ghost Watch was fun enough. Apparently certain people love it. If it weren't for those really solid commercials, it'd be way better than WNUF Halloween Special.

WNUF is a pale shadow of Ghost Watch. The fake commercials are the only interesting thing about it. The actual story part is just an incredibly mediocre version of the Tales From the Crypt episode with Morton Downey Jr..

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Basebf555 posted:

Bah, is this true? I already ordered it this week because it was discounted and reviews seemed to rave about the upgrade.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Cacator posted:

Bah, is this true? I already ordered it this week because it was discounted and reviews seemed to rave about the upgrade.

Personally, I rather dislike the colour grade fuckery, and the complete erasure of film grain, and considering the source is in HD resolution, the whole thing is an unnecessary upscale. The only real plus is HDR, but to my mind, what good is high dynamic range of a bad picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Z58uiwcME

Like I realise we've been conditioned to continually upgrade, always searching for a better transfer, but this series topped out with Blu.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

pwn posted:

Personally, I rather dislike the colour grade fuckery, and the complete erasure of film grain, and considering the source is in HD resolution, the whole thing is an unnecessary upscale. The only real plus is HDR, but to my mind, what good is high dynamic range of a bad picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Z58uiwcME

Like I realise we've been conditioned to continually upgrade, always searching for a better transfer, but this series topped out with Blu.

That's lovely. None of the review sites I read mentioned DNR as far as I remember.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I also ordered the UHD set because of the sale price :smith: But from the video, it sounds cost-prohibitive to do proper 4K versions of the trilogy and Peter Jackson wants the original LotR trilogy to look like The Hobbit trilogy anyway, so this is probably as good as it's ever going to get.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm still utterly baffled at how horribly he butchered the Get Back footage with excessive and unnecessary DNR.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

WNUF is a pale shadow of Ghost Watch. The fake commercials are the only interesting thing about it. The actual story part is just an incredibly mediocre version of the Tales From the Crypt episode with Morton Downey Jr..

It’s 100% a nostalgia piece that lives or dies on whether you have memories of hyper-local tv like that from childhood. It’s a near-flawless recreation of a dead world.

It’s like how Beyond the Black Rainbow depends entirely on whether you had the experience of turning on some confusing, hosed-up movie halfway through at 2:00am on the sci-fi channel on a summer Saturday night when you were 14 and watching it to the end trying to figure out the plot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The recreations are nice but the ultimate payoff is too weak.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I feel like WNUF's problem is that they conceived the idea of a bunch of commercials first and then forgot that they needed something for the commercials to wrap around.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Supposedly the new sequel is really good, but won't see streaming for a few years, if ever, according to the director. Guess I gotta buy that DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s 100% a nostalgia piece that lives or dies on whether you have memories of hyper-local tv like that from childhood. It’s a near-flawless recreation of a dead world.

It’s like how Beyond the Black Rainbow depends entirely on whether you had the experience of turning on some confusing, hosed-up movie halfway through at 2:00am on the sci-fi channel on a summer Saturday night when you were 14 and watching it to the end trying to figure out the plot.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is obviously full of pastiche and nostalgia but I think it stands alone really well. It's just a very good movie.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The recreations are nice but the ultimate payoff is too weak.

It's basically a really nice looking box that's empty inside. Seriously if you've not seen the episode of Tales From the Crypt I mentioned go watch it. It's drat near the same thing as WNUF but way better and less than half the running time.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

PinkoBastard posted:

It would have been inconceivable to me as a kid, not just in terms of the breadth but also the quality at which the movies are presented.

I’m in some golden era sci fi/horror groups and the older folks on there really put things into perspective too, when they’re so stoked to be watching a DVD of something like The Deadly Mantis for the first time in 60 years. They’ve subsisted on a hazy memory of watching it one time in the autumn of ‘65 and maybe found some stills in magazines over the years or whatever, and I actually find it really touching to see them reconnect with the films that made such a big impression on them.

Edit: I guess it wouldn’t be “inconceivable” because we had movie rentals etc but for true horror geeks the level of choice these days is still really something else

That reminds me I also enjoy the vintage monster magazines, where they aren't quite correct in some fact or another because you can't pause and rewind in 1975. And authors would just make poo poo up out of thin air too, because how many people would actually be able to contradict them? A really egregious one I remember was an author calling Rodan an aquatic monster based on one promotional still of him coming up out of the water.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow is obviously full of pastiche and nostalgia but I think it stands alone really well. It's just a very good movie.

Yeah, even if he’s riffing on an aesthetic Panos is a really good stylist in his own right

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
My issue with Black Rainbow is it’s 100% vibes and zero content. A younger version of me would have eaten the movie up and praised its beauty and genius and all that but at this point in my life I’m just not in that same mindset and I was immensely bored the entire time. But I loving adore Mandy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I saw Rainbow very high while a local doom metal band played the soundtrack live at extremely high volume and it was both the best and worst theater experience I’ve ever had

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

yoohoo posted:

My issue with Black Rainbow is it’s 100% vibes and zero content. A younger version of me would have eaten the movie up and praised its beauty and genius and all that but at this point in my life I’m just not in that same mindset and I was immensely bored the entire time. But I loving adore Mandy.

This.

The visuals are fantastic though. For a low low-budget thing, it works, but it's not something I'd throw on for anyone not really into his stuff.

mandy is infinitely more accessible cheddar goblin and all, I would kill for that on uhd, upscale be damned

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

yoohoo posted:

Yeah, there are characters and ideas, but not really a plot. It seems like it should make sense but doesn’t quite cohere, like if you were trying to remember all the details from seeing the second half of Prince of Darkness when you were a kid and describe it to a friend as an adult. It feels like if you had seen just a bit more, you’d be able to make sense of it all.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

Supposedly the new sequel is really good, but won't see streaming for a few years, if ever, according to the director. Guess I gotta buy that DVD.

The Out There Halloween Mega Tape is better than WNUF in a lot of ways, but unlike the original it doesn’t really count as a horror movie in any way. If you want the experience of watching 90s TV from a parallel universe, it’s a pretty solid recreation. If you want a horror movie, you’re going to be disappointed.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I thought that WNUF was a lot of fun. I had no expectations going in to it… actually, that’s not true. I was ready for it to be cloying and stupid,but I found it too charming and good-natured to dislike. I agree with folks’ narrative criticisms because I too was expecting a capital-H “horror” ending and what we got was a little weak, but I really liked it a lot for what it is. I even bought a blu ray copy!

I didn’t even realize a sequel was being developed (thanks Splint Chesthair) but I just went ahead and ordered it too.

On another topic, do any of you sickos have opinions on the VS Ray Cardona collection? I’ve been thinking it’s time to pull the trigger on that one too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah, there are characters and ideas, but not really a plot. It seems like it should make sense but doesn’t quite cohere, like if you were trying to remember all the details from seeing the second half of Prince of Darkness when you were a kid and describe it to a friend as an adult. It feels like if you had seen just a bit more, you’d be able to make sense of it all.

That's kind of the point. You're meant to fill in the blanks and decide what some of the more cryptic stuff means. I love the movie but it's not the most accessible and I can perfectly well understand why people would find it boring.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
At this point I feel like I'm the only horror fan that didn't like WNUF, but I adore Ghostwatch. As someone born in the eighties I thought I would have loved it, but it was almost overboard with the nostalgia and very light on the actual horror.

Also I loved Righting Wrongs (and do love John Woo), are there any decent Heroic Bloodshed movies that have been released on Region A, everything is either 88 Region B or from Japan with subpar or no subtitles. Any recommendations (or any streaming service where I can watch a decent version of Hard Boiled/A Better Tomorrow). I know Heroes Shed No Tears got a decent release, but has Bullet in the Head ever gotten one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SneakySneaks posted:

At this point I feel like I'm the only horror fan that didn't like WNUF, but I adore Ghostwatch. As someone born in the eighties I thought I would have loved it, but it was almost overboard with the nostalgia and very light on the actual horror.

I'm the same. The whole the Christians are the actual murders! thing is a good premise for a regular movie but well way too artificial to be taken seriously in that format.