Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Everyone’s pumping out a million shows for the streaming wars and bidding down the effects houses to shoestring budgets, it’s just something we have to live with for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well in this case it's rougher because it's a fully CGI character on screen a bunch, which was not something that was in most of the previous shows. Most of it was practical with CGI or just practical.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
People should be forced to watch stuff like Spawn and The Mummy Returns once a year to put things in perspective.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why? Should we have to drive a car from the 60s to appreciate how good vehicles are these days? :cheeky:

And shag: the heart to heart moments in Ms Marvel were some of the most genuine things in the entire MCU. I am glad they are (hopefully) moving away from Whedon-poisoned snark and quipfests.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
This show just feels fast as gently caress and it's suddenly over. I can't really explain it. I wish the episodes were longer so scenes could breathe a little. Other than that I'm enjoying this.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are half hour lawyer sitcoms a thing? Ally McBeal and Boston Legal were both hour long.

Vintersorg posted:

Why? Should we have to drive a car from the 60s to appreciate how good vehicles are these days? :cheeky:

Even that Old Spice commercial with Dolph Lundgren would work.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 2, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I demand a serious 60min for my Lawyer shows that deal with the real world issues of Asgardians disguising themselves as Megan Thee Stallion

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ripped from the headlines!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also I'm old so please replace Megan with Missie Elliot so I don't need to update the pop culture references in my head

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Aren’t tv comedies always 22 minutes?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I wonder if Megan Thee Stallion hired Jen on retainer because she is just visiting from another world and needs local counsel...

Wong as the Sorcerer Supreme is way more fun than Strange in the job.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Infinitum posted:

Also I'm old so please replace Megan with Missie Elliot so I don't need to update the pop culture references in my head

I’m going to be honest, a few weeks ago I had never heard of Megan Thee Stallion, but I am fully aware of how out of touch I am with modern mainstream music.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I demand a serious 60min for my Lawyer shows that deal with the real world issues of Asgardians disguising themselves as Megan Thee Stallion
To be honest, one of the most interesting things about this show is how it's the first MCU thing I'm aware of to actually explore any of the cultural repercussions of having a bunch of alien gods just living on Earth now.

I always thought that was a neat concept that seems to end up being deliberately ignored in any MCU thing trying to be remotely down to earth in its setting. Fortunately this show isn't going for a grounded tone and is free to explore some of the weirder repercussions of things that have been set up and otherwise largely ignored.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Infinitum posted:

typical gen z snowflake who can't spell Missy Elliott's name properly go back to your avocado macchiato

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Are half hour lawyer sitcoms a thing? Ally McBeal and Boston Legal were both hour long.

Even that Old Spice commercial with Dolph Lundgren would work.

Ally McBeal and Boston Legal would also often have serious, heart-wrenching cases in the mix along with the funny stuff. I really don't expect (or want) Jen to sue Thor because his hammer accidentally beheaded a toddler.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oasx posted:

This is hilarious

"She-Hulk reaches an all new LOW! Marvel makes her TWERK!"

LOL in the comics they had an entire issue about her skipping rope naked after the readers kept "demanding it" after she joked about it one time in the letters page.

(After a few pages the editor walks into the comic and reveals that she's not actually naked)

She-Hulk has a loooong history of her just trying to enjoy her life and then having to deal with people being skeevy about it, there was an entire issue of Fantastic Four about a paparazzo snapping photos of her sunbathing topless and Jen trying to stop the skin mag editor (who looked suspiciously like Stan Lee) from publishing them.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

I can't believe anyone was honestly upset about that YouTube bit, like it's the most realistic part of the show. Hell, not a day goes by where YouTube doesn't recommend a video featuring some mouth breather complaining about how Marvel's woke and women and minorities are ruining the MCU.

The extremely obvious problem with the YouTube bit is the context of the MCU. Yes, in real life there are many people who have been saying exactly those things, but why would a female version of a male hero be such a problem in the MCU? In real life, people whine because they see it as part of some supposed ‘replacement agenda’. But in the MCU itself, there’s no obvious diegetic reason why that would be the main response. From the perspective of the average MCU resident, She-Hulk is perhaps the first (maybe second after Wasp) known female ‘version’ of a male hero, no? I think no-one in universe would know of Jane Fonda or Kate Bishop. So where does this animosity suddenly come from?

This is why it’s ‘heavy-handed’.

A point about misogyny could’ve been easily made whilst still maintaining some semblance of the world that has been built.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 2, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oasx posted:

I’m going to be honest, a few weeks ago I had never heard of Megan Thee Stallion, but I am fully aware of how out of touch I am with modern mainstream music.

Yeah, but you also know how to google poo poo as opposed to putting your whole foot it in your mouth, like that other goon did :v:

Most people know Body and WAP, and you pretty much don't need to know anything past that if you don't give a rats

Eiba posted:

To be honest, one of the most interesting things about this show is how it's the first MCU thing I'm aware of to actually explore any of the cultural repercussions of having a bunch of alien gods just living on Earth now.

Absolutely.

It's always weird in sci-fi shows where tech gets introduced.. and then not utilised by the planet.

So things like Wakanda opening borders, Stark-tech, Asgardians, knowledge that magic is real, etc, profoundly changes things and it's fun to explore that stuff and play with it - which She-Hulk seems to be doing

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 2, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

typical gen z snowflake who can't spell Missy Elliott's name properly go back to your avocado macchiato

I'm a millennial :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Absolutely wild that this sitcom would include an unrealistic characature for laughs, that just doesn't happen

I just can't get into this show knowing the main character is going to win her battles, it's not like that in any other MCU story

Only the millions of people who listen to Megan Thee Stallion are going to watch this, it's a failure

Marvel makes a show for women? Ha they just want someone to dangle some keys in front of them unlike my very smart and serious Infinity War which clearly no female was able to appreciate

The state of this thread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DiscoJ posted:

But in the MCU itself, there’s no obvious diegetic reason why that would be the main response. From the perspective of the average MCU resident, She-Hulk is perhaps the first (maybe second after Wasp) known female ‘version’ of a male hero, no?

This is a show where the main character talks to the non-diegetic audience. Making jokes at non-diegetic peoples’ expense is perfectly consistent

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 2, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I vaguely knew who Megan Thee Stallion was. She was the one that revealed that Ben Shapiro is utterly incapable of satisfying his doctor wife who lives in Canada right?

Though i thought it was Megan Three Stallion.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 2, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Infinitum posted:

Yeah, but you also know how to google poo poo as opposed to putting your whole foot it in your mouth, like that other goon did :v:

Most people know Body and WAP, and you pretty much don't need to know anything past that if you don't give a rats

I don't know MTS or Body or WAP but I had zero problems understanding that MTS was a hot, very famous person (at least within the MCU) that the delusional lawyer idiot thought he was dating while he was getting conned by the elf-woman.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

This is a show where the main character talks to the non-diegetic audience. Making jokes at non-diegetic peoples’ expense is perfectly consistent

I guess ‘comedy’ can be used to justify anything, but the fourth wall breaks have been focused on Jen’s asides only so far. I’d disagree that it justifies any random real world social commentary the writers decide to insert. Ken’s asides can be understood as being non-canon, the YouTube part is presented as a part of the world.

It’s actually extra irritating to me because almost every other part of the episode did a great job on the show’s concept and it’s place in the overall world.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DiscoJ posted:

I guess ‘comedy’ can be used to justify anything, but the fourth wall breaks have been focused on Jen’s asides only so far. I’d disagree that it justifies any random real world social commentary the writers decide to insert. Ken’s asides can be understood as being non-canon, the YouTube part is presented as a part of the world.

It’s actually extra irritating to me because almost every other part of the episode did a great job on the show’s concept and it’s place in the overall world.

Is it really that hard to imagine that some men are going to be sexist pricks?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Just chiming in to say I loving love this show despite its flaws and honestly, Marvel/Disney pissing off misogynistic pricks is always good.

Drew Matthews is a great modern day Buck Bukowski.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DiscoJ posted:

I guess ‘comedy’ can be used to justify anything, but the fourth wall breaks have been focused on Jen’s asides only so far.

Except that they haven’t

The YouTube commenters were a fourth wall break by the show itself

The show isn’t bound to any contract to only have Jen make asides as its allowed fourth wall breaks

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Except that they haven’t

The YouTube commenters were a fourth wall break by the show itself

The show isn’t bound to any contract to only have Jen make asides as its allowed fourth wall breaks

This’ll be a good way to defend any random inconsistency in this show I guess.

Rarity posted:

Is it really that hard to imagine that some men are going to be sexist pricks?

It's very easy to imagine that. I would've liked the show to imagine it too, just in the context of the MCU, not lazily cribbing from Twitter/YouTube loons.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 2, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I remember people watching Empire Strikes Back and being blown away that Luke was able to move a lightsaber into his hand using the Force. It meant that the Force was capable of much more than previously shown, and lit up peoples’ imaginations with what else could be possible. She-Hulk mocking the show’s haters is similarly an expansion of the fourth-wall breaking of this show

If we applied paradigm inertia to ESB: What! Luke Skywalker can use telekinesis? That’s not consistent with the first Star Wars! The Force is only supposed to be some sort of clairvoyance!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Rarity posted:

Absolutely wild that this sitcom would include an unrealistic characature for laughs, that just doesn't happen

I just can't get into this show knowing the main character is going to win her battles, it's not like that in any other MCU story

Only the millions of people who listen to Megan Thee Stallion are going to watch this, it's a failure

Marvel makes a show for women? Ha they just want someone to dangle some keys in front of them unlike my very smart and serious Infinity War which clearly no female was able to appreciate

The state of this thread

Discussion about the show is pretty bad and also exactly what it was always going to be.

On another note I freaked out when Josh Segarra popped up with a similar vibe to his role in The Other Two. The most heartwarming dude.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 2, 2022

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Didn’t like this episode. Focusing too much on a current celebrity pulled me right out of the show

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

This’ll be a good way to defend any random inconsistency in this show I guess.

It's very easy to imagine that. I would've liked the show to imagine it too, just in the context of the MCU, not lazily cribbing from Twitter/YouTube loons.

The show also does it in the context of the MCU. It’s like most of the show outside of that sequence

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I loved the episode, but was disappointed in Megan De Stallion.

I expected a centaur. :p

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not sure what it is with the She-Hulk CGI, but it's kind of jarring when she is walking around an office, partially because she walks kind of weird and there is this almost kind of blur effect around her. It's much better when she is just in the center of the frame and not really moving around a lot.

I think it's the movie mechanic of "something big moves slower" that we see in Godzilla movies (also Ant-Man, to stay in-universe).

It's applied to She-Hulk (toned down a bit to match the scale), but it results in a "floaty" movement that just feels wrong.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Everyone posted:

I don't know MTS or Body or WAP but I had zero problems understanding that MTS was a hot, very famous person (at least within the MCU) that the delusional lawyer idiot thought he was dating while he was getting conned by the elf-woman.

Honestly, it's not like I did not understand the story from the context shown. It just felt like I was missing a big part of the surrounding hype, by being a nonamerican white dude who's not into music and genuinely hadn't heard of her. The cameo just didn't land for me at all. Of course I could google who that is, but it's not like that would make the joke better, right? That part was clearly written for people who already care about that woman.

I do admit that I was kind of willfully ignorant there, but in the other hand, researching some famous person just because she had a cameo in a tv series I like feels pointless too.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 2, 2022

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
So She Hulk is dancing with the flavor of the month?

What's the problem?

https://fortune.com/2022/08/30/finland-prime-minister-sanna-marin-dancing-videos-popularity-election/

and why does it sound way too familiar?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

...the Finnish Prime Minister getting unfairly dragged in public, having to take a drug test to prove her sobriety just cause she's a woman, is the flavour of the month?

bwha? :psyduck:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

oh my bad, I misread - you're an idiot insinuating Megan is the flavour of the month

gently caress sake some yall need to touch grass.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I really enjoyed the A plot for this episode. The comedic parts all landed, and I did enjoy watching the case play out. I'm hoping that sort of energy is maintained through the season.

The B plot was a bit meh for me. It was such a low energy mirror of the Abomination plot playing out right next to it. I think one thing that hurt it for me was Jen's forth wall breaks that refer to the TV show itself. I know that's a thing from the comics, but it breaks my immersion so hard when it happens. I like it when she's talking to the audience as if she were talking to herself, but taking her hands off the wheel while driving to talk about cameos or talking about the A and B plots connecting snap me out of the show and it takes me a while to get back into it. So when they were having their version of the funny witness presentation, I wasn't feeling any emotional impact to Dennis getting roasted because Jen just reminded me this is all fake and these are the best zingers that the writers could come up with to blast a character they created.

Also she's totally wrong about the A and B plots connecting there. Her prior connection to Dennis has literally nothing to do with Abomination's case until Dennis's case is resolved and she gets her idea. If you're going to break me out of the story, please get your jokes in order.

The Youtube comments whinging about She-Hulk more as a character than as a person in the MCU didn't bother me that much though. I assumed it was more short hand for other, more vile sexist poo poo that would be said instead. We can get the general idea of things that people are saying that would bother Jen, without having to really dwell on them.

Still, and this might be just me, but as far as sexist commentary goes, I don't think they are going to top the boss demanding that Jen hulk up at work in episode two. That got an audible "holy gently caress" out of me. It was such a perfect build up of showing Jen's economic desperation allowing her boss to casually flex his power over her and claim ownership of her appearance and non-preferred identity, and tell her to hulk up without really knowing if there are any possible issues with her being a hulk. And not because he's trying to be evil, but because he's the beneficiary of a power structure that allows him to not have to care. To me, Dennis is a bit hollow because he's a jerk and that's that. The boss is inconsiderate, but because of the build up of the greater issues at play, that line struck me as some Lex Luthor level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

oh my bad, I misread - you're an idiot insinuating Megan is the flavour of the month

gently caress sake some yall need to touch grass.

WAP came out 2 years ago