Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and it wasn't even jeremy vine presenting, it was some bloke trying to build his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol the Mirror mocking the Express' Genius Inventor Boris Johnson series now

crispix posted:

it was some bloke trying to build his career
Think his name's Keith or something.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

lol the Mirror mocking the Express' Genius Inventor Boris Johnson series now

Think his name's Keith or something.

It's the Daily Star, I was just looking them up to see their hot takes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That's a p good headline and would also make an amazing gangtag

e: talk of nonstandard spelling reminded me of my favourite furious explosion of anger I read recently in the intro to a collection of old voyage stories. William Lithgow in 1640 put together a book about his travels, and evidently he'd had some critics be unkind about what he wrote previously. His spelling is pretty standard, it was by then - the Elizabethans were allowed to spell things however seemed good but that was earlier - but his word choices and punctuation are excellent.

William Lithgow posted:

If thou beest a Villain, a Ruffian, a Momus, a Knave, a Carper, a Critick, a Bubo, a stupid Asse, and a gnawing Worme with envious Lips, I bequeath thee to a Carnificiall reward, where a hempen Rope will soon dispatch thy snarling slander, and free my toylesome Travailes and now painefull Labours, from the deadly Poyson of thy sharpe edged calumnies, and so goe hang thy selfe; for I neither will respect thy Love, nor regard thy Malice: and shall ever and alwayes remaine, to the Courteous still Observant: and to the Criticall Knave as he deserves, Wm Lithgow

(A momus is a Greek god of mockery. A bubo is a painful sore. 'carnificial' here means 'of the executioner'. )

I like him.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 2, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They were called Scallies where I went to school in Chester. I assume from scallywag. Looking back on it, was just a bunch of kids with not enough parental support. They were pretty much bottom set in everything due to that and were shat on by the school system so were always in detention.

Kappa slappers were what the girls were called. Man. Kids are poo poo to each other.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Comrade Fakename posted:

you’re laughing that a lot of people did what you wanted them to do. Please stop doing that.

Unless forkboy84 is personally responsible for a significant proportion of the numbers of left wingers leaving the labour party, I don't really follow your reasoning here.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

IDK if I can sum up what happens to you in your 30s and obviously it's not the same for everybody but one thing that's happened for me is that I've gone from hating folk music at the start of my 30s to thinking it loving slaps now in my late 30s.

Just listening to some Steeleye Span for the first time and it rules.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

DesperateDan posted:

the term "chav" is largely superseded by "roadman" among the youth of today and that's seemingly at least a little more about behaviour than fashion or class

chav seemed at its height of vitriol when cameron was rocking some heavy moral panics about the yoofs of today, seems almost quaint now

"Chav" was a poo poo word, terrible mouthful, ugly sound.

"Roadman" is one of the most incredible pieces of dialect ever. Love it. Top notch.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

yes i always thought chav was a terrible word compared to ned, which is the scottish word for the exact same kind of person

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

WhatEvil posted:

IDK if I can sum up what happens to you in your 30s and obviously it's not the same for everybody but one thing that's happened for me is that I've gone from hating folk music at the start of my 30s to thinking it loving slaps now in my late 30s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4OGEdClyYaY

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WhatEvil posted:

Saw Steeleye Span in Oxford when I was early 20s and was the youngest person in the venue by about 30 years other than my partner.

They played a bunch of concept stuff about Pratchett books, it owned.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I picked up mountain biking a few years ago (late 20s) and I ride with a guy in his 50s and another guy in his 70s(!) which has just confirmed to me that if I keep doing it consistently I'll live to be 100. Turns out regular exercise is like the best thing ever.

I will never listen to folk music though I'm afraid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

(A momus is a Greek god of mockery. A bubo is a painful sore. 'carnificial' here means 'of the executioner'. )
Speaking of "UK equivalent to 'redneck'", villain back then still carried a lot of that. iirc was sometime around the 1550s-1650s that it shifted from "haha you are low born, like a farmhand attached to serving a villa" to "you are a scoundrel", although I don't know how much of that was Shakespeare (who sometimes gets the credit) and how much was cultural shift.

It does mean that we could (and should) call farm owners who rely on work gangs who pay most of their wages back to the farm supervillains.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hungry posted:

"Chav" was a poo poo word, terrible mouthful, ugly sound.

"Roadman" is one of the most incredible pieces of dialect ever. Love it. Top notch.
It's still referring to and othering the same kind of person though. Kind of. I don't know the full connotations of roadman vs chav.

I'm always interested (from a linguistic standpoint) in the point at which certain words go from legitimate usage to becoming slurs. And to make it absolutely clear, NOT to moralise over if we shouldn't, but just trying to understand the mechanism of the turning point in certain cases.

I'm thinking particularly in light of Lizzo unknowingly using the word spastic. At one point in the UK there was a charity called the spastic society. Medical textbooks used it to describe a condition, or at least what at the time they understood as one condition.

And then it seems like a bunch of kids started using it as an insult for anyone being uncoordinated as a cruel jibe, and then the word becomes tarnished by that.

Again, not saying the tarnishing is wrong. Maybe this is an autism thing but I don't really understand the mechanism by which it goes from 'some kids are using a legit disability word as an insult' to 'the word is bad' rather than 'the kids using it that way are bad.'

Maybe most people just don't think about it that much and just see "word is now bad." Like when a bunch of alt righters decided to tell everyone that the ok gesture and pepe were secret alt right codes, and everyone bought it and now they kind of are?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's still referring to and othering the same kind of person though. Kind of. I don't know the full connotations of roadman vs chav.

I'm always interested (from a linguistic standpoint) in the point at which certain words go from legitimate usage to becoming slurs. And to make it absolutely clear, NOT to moralise over if we shouldn't, but just trying to understand the mechanism of the turning point in certain cases.

I'm thinking particularly in light of Lizzo unknowingly using the word spastic. At one point in the UK there was a charity called the spastic society. Medical textbooks used it to describe a condition, or at least what at the time they understood as one condition.

And then it seems like a bunch of kids started using it as an insult for anyone being uncoordinated as a cruel jibe, and then the word becomes tarnished by that.

Again, not saying the tarnishing is wrong. Maybe this is an autism thing but I don't really understand the mechanism by which it goes from 'some kids are using a legit disability word as an insult' to 'the word is bad' rather than 'the kids using it that way are bad.'

Maybe most people just don't think about it that much and just see "word is now bad." Like when a bunch of alt righters decided to tell everyone that the ok gesture and pepe were secret alt right codes, and everyone bought it and now they kind of are?

With medical conditions it probably also has something to do with advancing our understanding of the issues. And then the word becomes inaccurate as a description, at which point there is no reason to keep using it so it might fade into the cruel category.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As an adjective 'spastic' still has medical use as relating to spasm or uncoordinated muscle movement, like in spastic colon.

It was never used as a noun for a person medically though, so that was always sus behaviour, on a spectrum from "haha this person is uncoordinated" to "I am a oval office and hate people with disability", kids just made it much worse by amplification and not knowing better.

As a result of that, it's now automatically suspicious even as an adjective outside of a medical context, like 'niggardly' is. Yes it's not the same at all as the bad word, but if you can spare 5 seconds thinking of a better replacement then you should.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

As someone who grew up in the 90s with a name that sounds not entirely dissimilar to the word, I can confirm this.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

sebzilla posted:

As someone who grew up in the 90s with a name that sounds not entirely dissimilar to the word, I can confirm this.

It's the same thing with every word for mentally disabled people, they come up with a term, people use it as an insult, then they have to change the term.
Repeat every 20 years or so.

EDIT - this is all covered above. durr.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 2, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty sure "I'm such a spaz" only really dropped out of favour in the mid-2010s?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

THE WOOL-PACKARS,:-

HILL-BILLY ROCK

:mcrappe:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think it's relevant here that prior to a certain point there was a lot less concern for sensitivity in language use around the disabled among adults too, so I don't think it was just kids using spastic as an insult, and it's also noteworthy here that the insult wasn't just used to imply someone was uncoordinated but that additionally that the person was mentally disabled too. It was a word that had also picked up associated gestures; calling someone a "spaz" in america was a throwaway word, but at least where I was from "spastic" was an entire category of insults from "spastic" to "spazzy" to sticking your tongue into your lower lip, holding a limp wrist out in front of you and slapping the back of your hand while making a wailing sound. Before the campaign to eradicate it, that last gesture combination wasn't just insulting, it was possibly the most insulting thing you could call someone, up there with racial slurs.

I'm speculating now, but I think that helped the campaign to stamp out the word--among adults there was already a bit of a taboo around it because it was insulting enough to incite violence.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Aphex- posted:

I picked up mountain biking a few years ago (late 20s) and I ride with a guy in his 50s and another guy in his 70s(!) which has just confirmed to me that if I keep doing it consistently I'll live to be 100. Turns out regular exercise is like the best thing ever.

I will never listen to folk music though I'm afraid.

on the other hand you always hear about the very fit people who do the like of that who are also teetotal and have only ever eaten bran flakes for breakfast who suddenly die quite young!!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
probably you don't hear anything about the likely very more numerous overweight people who die quite young who drank flagons of cheap cider every day and had only ever had greggs pasties for breakfast

because that's less surprising

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
people who like having chitchats aim to get a gasp out of people

:aaa: like that

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The far right extremists in Labour going bonkers because Naomi Wimborne Idrissi is elected to NEC and accusing her of anti-semitism.

https://twitter.com/EuanPhilipps/status/1565430701201264641

This must seem so loving bizarre to any normal member of the public who reads this stuff with no knowledge of Labour's weird, poisonous internal politics lol.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty sure "I'm such a spaz" only really dropped out of favour in the mid-2010s?

Too late, 90s-early 00s.
Wasn't it Byker Grove or Grange Hill that had a storyline back in the day to stop using the word as an insult.

BYKER! BYKER! BYKER! GROVE!

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This happened because Blue Peter (the kids TV show) had Joey Deacon on - he was an extremely disabled man who couldn't speak and moved in spasms. He had written a book with the help of his friend who translated for him (It's quite likely Joey wasn't actually speaking but the friend was seeing things that weren't there) and he was help up an example of people in poor circumstance achieving things.
Literacy the next day in playgrounds across the UK "Joey" and Spastic became insults, complete with the grunting and hand gestures.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Renfield posted:

This happened because Blue Peter (the kids TV show) had Joey Deacon on - he was an extremely disabled man who couldn't speak and moved in spasms. He had written a book with the help of his friend who translated for him (It's quite likely Joey wasn't actually speaking but the friend was seeing things that weren't there) and he was help up an example of people in poor circumstance achieving things.
Literacy the next day in playgrounds across the UK "Joey" and Spastic became insults, complete with the grunting and hand gestures.

Then this got Stewart Maconied into a "I remember the 1970s" show and a word that people weren't really using any more started to come back for a bit. It's going again now though I think

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Too late, 90s-early 00s.
Wasn't it Byker Grove or Grange Hill that had a storyline back in the day to stop using the word as an insult.

1998 saw the release of Jazz Jackrabbit 2, featuring the titular lagomorph's brother Spaz as a playable character.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
For a split second in the early 80s, "Lenny" became a term for you-know-what, based on the Peter Adamson allegations. (He played Len Fairclough in Coronation Street.)

Of course, the real worst insult is the Worse N-Word, according to the Worse N-Words themselves: Neoliberal.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Isomermaid posted:

Then this got Stewart Maconied into a "I remember the 1970s" show and a word that people weren't really using any more started to come back for a bit. It's going again now though I think

Law of the Playground and it’s predecessor disappointment.com had quite a lot of Joey Deacon ”material” and when it became a telly show it got signal boosted quite a bit by Charlie Brooker, I’m pretty sure that’s where the resurgence came from. Same with sweary Tourette’s being very “popular” for a while.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
At my school it was "malcolm" said in that specific voice. I thought people were saying "mal-co" which I thought meant mal-coordinated.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Only Kindness posted:

For a split second in the early 80s, "Lenny" became a term for you-know-what, based on the Peter Adamson allegations. (He played Len Fairclough in Coronation Street.)

That makes sense of what I saw.
I did not know that about the bloke, and I saw online a dubbed Coronation Street episode where the character was in court for something, but the dub was about what he was irl accused of.
Thought it was weird, the dub wasn't in good taste or such, just weird.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jippa posted:

At my school it was "malcolm" said in that specific voice. I thought people were saying "mal-co" which I thought meant mal-coordinated.

At mine after the various spastic variants were kiboshed it /was/ mal-co. Spastic reigned supreme around 88-91;mal-co was more of a mid-late 90s thing.

God kids are loving horrible.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Some belters in this word cloud

https://twitter.com/PeoplePolling/status/1565639045568516098?s=20&t=PgjG82V67RAiN-PSRGAbww

Nearly at the promised 20 points though

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/PeoplePolling/status/1565639045568516098?s=20&t=PgjG82V67RAiN-PSRGAbww

When your voting against something rather than for it....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Too late, 90s-early 00s.

I recall that just popularised the phrase amongst my schoolmates.

I definitely seem to recall hearing it at uni. Mind you this was in the same period where a girl I was hanging out with casually talked about how she was going to get "raped" at her next exam and I tilted my head so hard my neck snapped off.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sebzilla posted:

Don’t know which I like more, the sheer number of asterisks or the accidental word pairings.

Keith Starmer, primeknob of the UK

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

What on earth is K*******D?

Edit: ohhh, knobhead.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

knobhead?