Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I have 2x 80 boosts (I guess because the collection gave me 2 collections I didn't have) taking up my shared inventory space. I used one on a thief who I've always wanted to play because all of the elite specs interest me. For a newer player without tons of money which specs would you all recommend for mostly PvE and WvW play? I'm thinking Daredevil or Specter. Deadeye seems like it might be fun in WvW but from what I've read it is underperforming.

GW2Mists.com, one of the main portals for WvW, lists a Daredevil roaming build: https://gw2mists.com/builds/thief/shadowarts-daredevil
Metabattle* also has a Specter Roamer build, which even uses the Celestial gear you got from the boost: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Specter_-_Celestial_Scepter_Roamer

*Builds listed on Metabattle are less curated and ranked by user votes AFAIK, meaning they can be good, but occasionally somebody uploads a stinker and just gets a few friends to upvote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I have 2x 80 boosts (I guess because the collection gave me 2 collections I didn't have) taking up my shared inventory space. I used one on a thief who I've always wanted to play because all of the elite specs interest me. For a newer player without tons of money which specs would you all recommend for mostly PvE and WvW play? I'm thinking Daredevil or Specter. Deadeye seems like it might be fun in WvW but from what I've read it is underperforming.

The boosts give equipment with the "celestial" stat prefix (moderate increase to all stats), so whatever class can make use of that would be a good candidate. Off the top of my head, I believe revenant, elementalist, and maybe guardian can all do reasonably well with that stat set

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Luggage posted:

Yeah, that must be some LWS or EoD mastery. I only have HoT and PoF (with masteries of both left and no Griffon unlocked) and I can't do that.

It's the last upgrade for the Crystal Champion line, bond of faith. Launch off your mounts with brief magical wings. Wiki says it unlocks when you enter any living world season 4 map besides Windswept Isles.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Daredevil's still a great spec for DPS and especially open world/story content. 3 dodges and lots of lifesteal options makes you surprisingly sturdy, and it's easy to play for someone newer. Specter is very good too, but I'd save that until you're more established since its optimal gear for DPS or support is harder to come by.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

explosivo posted:

Is the Skyscale obtainable without having to buy access to a previous season's content? Is it something I can/should go out of my way to stop what I'm doing in HoT now and go do asap?

No Skyscale needs LWS4

its worth buying,

Story is GOOD
Skyscale is a 'must have'

Maps often have LWS4 meta trains because they are good money.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

404notfound posted:

The boosts give equipment with the "celestial" stat prefix (moderate increase to all stats), so whatever class can make use of that would be a good candidate. Off the top of my head, I believe revenant, elementalist, and maybe guardian can all do reasonably well with that stat set

To build on that, if drat Dirty Ape is interested in WvW, using the second boost on a Guardian and then going Firebrand with a Boonbrand build (main enabling build of zerg play) will give him a char for squad/zerg play. You'll need to get your hands on a staff and mace (Soldier's prefix is dirt cheap and will be sufficient until you get your hands on Minstrel's). But other than that, the Celestial set from the boost is a well balanced set to find out if the class, elite spec and role of WvW support is for you.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
There’s a huge super long effort post in this very thread about how good celestial specter is for open world and other game modes, so I’d unlock that and read over it. It’s pretty fun.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Luggage posted:

GW2Mists.com, one of the main portals for WvW, lists a Daredevil roaming build: https://gw2mists.com/builds/thief/shadowarts-daredevil
Metabattle* also has a Specter Roamer build, which even uses the Celestial gear you got from the boost: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Specter_-_Celestial_Scepter_Roamer

*Builds listed on Metabattle are less curated and ranked by user votes AFAIK, meaning they can be good, but occasionally somebody uploads a stinker and just gets a few friends to upvote it.

Thanks, these both look like fun builds.

404notfound posted:

Hah, thanks. You answered a question I meant to put in my post originally and forgot. 'what should I use my final boost on?'. I was thinking a heavy armor profession since I haven't leveled one up yet. It's kind of annoying that I can't just save it.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Daredevil's still a great spec for DPS and especially open world/story content. 3 dodges and lots of lifesteal options makes you surprisingly sturdy, and it's easy to play for someone newer. Specter is very good too, but I'd save that until you're more established since its optimal gear for DPS or support is harder to come by.

Yeah I feel like I will probably do DD first. It doesn't really seem like deadeye is worth thinking about for now.

e:

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 2, 2022

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So I just wrapped up HoT masteries, but there’s still like.. 20 mastery points from cheevos still out there. What’s the point? I still have 5 leftover Core Tyria Mastery points. Do these do anything? Do they increase my mastery score by existing?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
No they're just there to give people options. Mastery points always suck when they're all rewards for very specific tasks some people might not want to do (because they're too grindy, or in content they don't like etc.).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have a good Deadeye rifle build for harassing people in WvW?

They're just about the only class I have a real issue with and want to learn their ways.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

HoT seems like the most populated content (As in players running around doing stuff) then everything else? Is it actually the most popular or is there some trickery with how the map populations work?

in HoT I'd always run into big groups of people, for PoF and EoD I rarely ran into any group larger than like 5 dudes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think HOT metas are sufficiently rewarding and very fun. Silverwastes especially.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BadLlama posted:

HoT seems like the most populated content (As in players running around doing stuff) then everything else? Is it actually the most popular or is there some trickery with how the map populations work?

in HoT I'd always run into big groups of people, for PoF and EoD I rarely ran into any group larger than like 5 dudes.

HoT has the "benefit" of being fairly cramped so there's not a lot of people zooming around large open areas. Therefore the population is naturally more condensed into active zones.

The metas have always attracted regular groups and HP trains still happen.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think the EoD metas are still reasonably well designed compared to HoT (with maybe the exception of Dragon's End), though the rewards might fall a bit short. As far as the EoD maps seeming empty, though, I feel like it's partly because the maps are so big and hard to navigate (does anybody really remember where all the ziplines and teleporters in New Kaineng are?), and partly because enemies have become damage sponges, especially if you don't take the time to grab battery charges and buffs. They might be doing something weird with population caps, but I couldn't really say.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
All the HoT maps are just bighuge meta events, it's what you're meant to do there, and they're fairly profitable as well.

PoF doesn't have this, it only has short meta event chains that repeat on a timer so that's when people show up, if at all: Outside of the daily zone chest the rewards are crap so people usually do the easiest meta event per map and ignore the annoying stuff like Serpents' Ire.

Some of the LS4/5 maps are using a constant meta event design that's closer to HoT and will have higher concentrations of people doing these metas, eg. Dragonfall or Drizzlewood Coast.

And EoD has Dragon's End which is basically HoT Mk.2, but the first zones are closer to PoF where you can gently caress around wherever, eg. to do hearts and single events and just do the zone's meta events when they're up.

orcane fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 2, 2022

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone have a good Deadeye rifle build for harassing people in WvW?

They're just about the only class I have a real issue with and want to learn their ways.

full zerker force air and every survivability utility you can take (and also shadow flare for tagging)

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Humerus posted:

Griffon owns in Drizzlewood for the boss rush at the end of South meta.

griffon skin from the free mount skin choice gift is really good if you're doing this because it makes your griffon model load in instantly

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
I wish there was another way to get your hands on Glyphs for infinite gathering tools other than drop luck from BLCs or buying them at horrendous prices from the TP.
I don't mind G.o.Volatility only paying for itself after 28k+ strikes and G.o.Watchknight after 20k+ strikes, but the upfront cost of (at the time of writing) 650 gold (i.e. $ 40+) for three is intimidating for someone without thousands of hours in the game.

That being said, can someone recommend a cheaper glyph (up to 50ish gold) they found useful for specific ingame farming goals other than "additional gold per strike"? Right now I am eyeing Timekeeper and Scavenger.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 2, 2022

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

LordAdakos posted:

For people interested in migrating to maguuma. I'd wait. There may soon (tm) be guild based wvw instead of server based wvw. However this has been coming soon (tm) for months so who knows.
Just seems like your 2k gems could be used on better things, but also I don't want to tell anyone how to live their life, so you do you, wvw goons.

Change that months to years.

Alliances were announced in 2018.

If doing your wvw with sfd/some goons is important, keep an eye on transferring as there is no guarantee on when alliances will happen. The last beta was okay. Some odd map loading/seeing wrong names for maps/information on claiming which was really confusing.

Goon doesn't have any organized wvw as we are spread out across everywhere but sfd does have organized wvw times.

Something to consider that When The Time Comes, you can only pick one guild to set determine your wvw alliance guild information. Or at least as of this post - there may be further changes down the road. It is something to consider if you already have a wvw guild on your current server or are thinking of just joining one while you wait for alliances to happen.

Wvw is the only game mode that is like this. Everything else, guild doesn't restrict/limit you.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

ghost story posted:

If doing your wvw with sfd/some goons is important, keep an eye on transferring as there is no guarantee on when alliances will happen. The last beta was okay. Some odd map loading/seeing wrong names for maps/information on claiming which was really confusing.
Do you know how often the realm status info on GW2Mists is updated. I missed the last time it dipped below "full", because either GW2Mists didn't capture it until after the fact or my mobile browser just didn't reload the page automatically for several days.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Server used to restrict you in PvE, long ago, in the before times, but shortly after launch they did away with that and suddenly every map was generously populated across the entire game instead of it varying from server to server.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Is there a distinction between EU and US in any game mode?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
EU and NA are pretty much completely separate. You can join an EU guild from NA and see guild chat, but that will be about the extent of it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Luggage posted:

I wish there was another way to get your hands on Glyphs for infinite gathering tools other than drop luck from BLCs or buying them at horrendous prices from the TP.
I don't mind G.o.Volatility only paying for itself after 28k+ strikes and G.o.Watchknight after 20k+ strikes, but the upfront cost of (at the time of writing) 650 gold (i.e. $ 40+) for three is intimidating for someone without thousands of hours in the game.

That being said, can someone recommend a cheaper glyph (up to 50ish gold) they found useful for specific ingame farming goals other than "additional gold per strike"? Right now I am eyeing Timekeeper and Scavenger.

Some of the cash shop gathering tools come with glyphs attached, which you can remove and put on other tools, if you want.

My personal preference is for Industry glyphs on my mining and logging tools, which generally allows me to land my skyscale, gather, and remount before nearby mobs can get a hit in. Given the large number of times you can find plants nearby each other, I use a Reaping glyph on my harvesting tool.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Luggage posted:

Do you know how often the realm status info on GW2Mists is updated. I missed the last time it dipped below "full", because either GW2Mists didn't capture it until after the fact or my mobile browser just didn't reload the page automatically for several days.

According to reddit, its supposed to be evaluated on Mondays but take that with a grain of salt. It could also change at any time if people transfer off, so I would think weekends would be a good time to check.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Luggage posted:

If you ever use keys and get Black Lion statuettes, they can be redeemed for infinite tools that often have glyphs.

Right now there's a set of Choya ones with glyphs that aren't half bad.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

whydirt posted:

You need all of Season 4 to get Skyscale. I waited to get it until I finished PoF and the story content of LS4, but I also had gotten the Griffon so I had some access to flight already.

I was really annoyed when I found this out, I had already started the skyscale quests and went through a couple of the collections. But I only have 2/3 of the episodes unlocked and you need to do some trivial tasks in the latter episodes to get it finished.

So yeah I’m never getting it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MajorBonnet posted:

EU and NA are pretty much completely separate. You can join an EU guild from NA and see guild chat, but that will be about the extent of it.
Chat, send mail (including items / gold), join guild. But yeah, you can never join the other region players in a game instance.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do we have any goons on Tarnished Coast? I saw some [GOON] and [SA] tags while starting out the LS4 quests last night and figured I'd ask.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Server doesn’t matter for PvE, so they could have been from anywhere

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

explosivo posted:

Do we have any goons on Tarnished Coast? I saw some [GOON] and [SA] tags while starting out the LS4 quests last night and figured I'd ask.

All servers comingle outside of WvW.

Really, server picks are outdated and not something to worry about unless you want to go ham in wubz.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh okay, does that mean I can join the goon clan or is it full up?

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
So, no 10 year anniversary sale. Kinda leaves me bummed but worst case is I just sit around with my gems until the Black Friday sale in November.

But overall? They've been pretty generous. If you jumped through enough hoops, you got:
1 black lion key [tp][giftable]
1 makeover kit [tp][giftable]
1 community bonfire [tp]
5 tp to friends [tp]
1 mount skin [game mail]
2-3 heroic booster [game mail]
1 mini baby mount [twitch]
10 transmute charges [twitch]
1 glowing purple mask [twitch]
1 makeover kit [twitch]
1 outfit selection [twitch]
anniversary armor set [in game]
anniversary cape [in game]
cargo jorts outfit [twitch prime]

You can still log on and redeem any of the items except the twitch drops, which is great.

explosivo posted:

Oh okay, does that mean I can join the goon clan or is it full up?

Yeah I'm fairly sure there's room in both guilds and folks have been really friendly and welcoming

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat. And here I was, running around guildless like a sucker.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Eeyo posted:

I was really annoyed when I found this out, I had already started the skyscale quests and went through a couple of the collections. But I only have 2/3 of the episodes unlocked and you need to do some trivial tasks in the latter episodes to get it finished.

So yeah I’m never getting it.

You need 250 of each LW4 map currency which you get from the Tier3 reward from each zones «return to…» achievement.

You also need these achievements for the legendary neck.

Tl;dr: you really should unlock the skyscale as it will get you far on the way to the legendary.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

All servers comingle outside of WvW.

Really, server picks are outdated and not something to worry about unless you want to go ham in wubz.

I wanna go ham on wubwub. I'm seriously considering moving off of Tarnished coast

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

bagrada posted:

It's the last upgrade for the Crystal Champion line, bond of faith. Launch off your mounts with brief magical wings. Wiki says it unlocks when you enter any living world season 4 map besides Windswept Isles.

This isn't what I'm doing though, I'm just pressing the regular mount/dismount key and able to hop off whenever. Gravity immediately takes over unless I hit the glider.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Xerol posted:

This isn't what I'm doing though, I'm just pressing the regular mount/dismount key and able to hop off whenever. Gravity immediately takes over unless I hit the glider.

Oh - this says you can only dismount while in the air if you have either midair rescue mastery unlocked, griffon or skyscale:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dismount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

bagrada posted:

Oh - this says you can only dismount while in the air if you have either midair rescue mastery unlocked, griffon or skyscale:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dismount

Now I'm really confused because I don't even have either of those mounts unlocked (or any of their mastery).