Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, it's not like I did not understand the story from the context shown. It just felt like I was missing a big part of the surrounding hype, by being a nonamerican white dude who's not into music and genuinely hadn't heard of her. The cameo just didn't land for me at all. Of course I could google who that is, but it's not like that would make the joke better, right? That part was clearly written for people who already care about that woman.

I do admit that I was kind of willfully ignorant there, but in the other hand, researching some famous person just because she had a cameo in a tv series I like feels pointless too.

Honestly they chose that cameo specifically because she’s one of the most widely recognised celebrities globally and you’re likely to know who she is by virtue of reading the news or being out in society. People in this thread channelling their embarrassment into arguing that her cameo is some supreme act of hubris on the part of the show runners is the silliest thing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

mcbexx posted:

I think it's the movie mechanic of "something big moves slower" that we see in Godzilla movies (also Ant-Man, to stay in-universe).

It's applied to She-Hulk (toned down a bit to match the scale), but it results in a "floaty" movement that just feels wrong.

I think it's more of likely that a lot of the basic walking and talking scenes involves a lot of hand animation for the motion. For the fight scenes they probably have a very tall stuntwoman to mocap, but I'm guessing to cut corners, it's just Tatiana or even no-one for the office scenes (so they don't have to worry about cutting someone out of the picture). Then it's up to the animators to work out how many steps it would take for a seven foot tall person in heels with a different body structure to Tatiana to walk to turn a corner and then walk to her desk, and do it by hand.

And you know, while in permanent crunch mode and being paid poo poo because Disney gives no fucks about the future of the industry.

The big thing moves slowly is to give a sense of scale and weight. It's to show that they are heavy and moving large distances, which isn't that applicable here. Like, big Ant Man would probably be able to outrun little Ant Man, so he's not actually moving slower, but he's had to deal with his weight increasing with his height.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ubik_Lives posted:

I think one thing that hurt it for me was Jen's forth wall breaks that refer to the TV show itself. I know that's a thing from the comics, but it breaks my immersion so hard when it happens. I like it when she's talking to the audience as if she were talking to herself, but taking her hands off the wheel while driving to talk about cameos or talking about the A and B plots connecting snap me out of the show and it takes me a while to get back into it.

I thought it was fine but then again I grew up watching Monty Python and Looney Tunes and the Muppets do that kind of fourth wall break a lot

Here's another classic (and literal) fourth wall break from Fresh Prince:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFX1NtxkqcE

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 2, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One thing I hope this show doesn't do is the season 1 Agents of SHIELD thing where they simply ad-lib "Asgardian" or "Chitauri" as descriptors for every single fantastical super-thing. AoS had to do it because they were hampered in their worldbuilding, and I hope She-Hulk doesn't feel bogged down by those constraints.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ubik_Lives posted:

I really enjoyed the A plot for this episode. The comedic parts all landed, and I did enjoy watching the case play out. I'm hoping that sort of energy is maintained through the season.

The B plot was a bit meh for me. It was such a low energy mirror of the Abomination plot playing out right next to it. I think one thing that hurt it for me was Jen's forth wall breaks that refer to the TV show itself. I know that's a thing from the comics, but it breaks my immersion so hard when it happens. I like it when she's talking to the audience as if she were talking to herself, but taking her hands off the wheel while driving to talk about cameos or talking about the A and B plots connecting snap me out of the show and it takes me a while to get back into it. So when they were having their version of the funny witness presentation, I wasn't feeling any emotional impact to Dennis getting roasted because Jen just reminded me this is all fake and these are the best zingers that the writers could come up with to blast a character they created.

Also she's totally wrong about the A and B plots connecting there. Her prior connection to Dennis has literally nothing to do with Abomination's case until Dennis's case is resolved and she gets her idea. If you're going to break me out of the story, please get your jokes in order.

The Youtube comments whinging about She-Hulk more as a character than as a person in the MCU didn't bother me that much though. I assumed it was more short hand for other, more vile sexist poo poo that would be said instead. We can get the general idea of things that people are saying that would bother Jen, without having to really dwell on them.

Still, and this might be just me, but as far as sexist commentary goes, I don't think they are going to top the boss demanding that Jen hulk up at work in episode two. That got an audible "holy gently caress" out of me. It was such a perfect build up of showing Jen's economic desperation allowing her boss to casually flex his power over her and claim ownership of her appearance and non-preferred identity, and tell her to hulk up without really knowing if there are any possible issues with her being a hulk. And not because he's trying to be evil, but because he's the beneficiary of a power structure that allows him to not have to care. To me, Dennis is a bit hollow because he's a jerk and that's that. The boss is inconsiderate, but because of the build up of the greater issues at play, that line struck me as some Lex Luthor level poo poo.

You should probably worry less about a silly Marvel TV show and go outside some more

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I can't believe that out of all the things to complain about in the show (and there are several of varying degrees of severity that I think are real problems) that people seem to be latching onto "her comments during the fourth wall breaks and meta commentary on real life internet discourse aren't consistent with established canon for what the character should know in-universe!"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/shehuIkupdates/status/1565345706029723649?t=sW2wzwsOTWzPe46tBWoFJA&s=19

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is actually kind of amazing and I want to hear the take of the people who were just posting on the last page that they didn't like that they "made up quotes" from "caricatures" just to get mad at.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LMAO this makes it 1,000 times better. :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Haha wow

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is actually kind of amazing and I want to hear the take of the people who were just posting on the last page that they didn't like that they "made up quotes" from "caricatures" just to get mad at.

I expect moving goalposts and doubling down but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Typical woke Disney punching down at the truth speakers these colors don't run don't step on me btich

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lmao owned

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
"Guys why would people in the Marvel universe discriminate against mutants when Captain America and Thor exist?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's ok for Captain America to be superhuman cause he's powered by ARR FREEDOMS :byodame:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Basketball players and hip hop artists are some of our biggest cultural heroes in the real world, which is why we don't have racism

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

It's ok for Captain America to be superhuman cause he's powered by ARR FREEDOMS :byodame:

And he's a white male

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

And he's a white male

Well, was

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dell_Zincht posted:

You should probably worry less about a silly Marvel TV show and go outside some more

Can we not? You’re in the same place too focussing on a tv show. Just cause it’s silly doesn’t mean it’s immune from taking a closer look.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

kazil posted:

Well, was

He's still alive. He's on the moon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Why? Should we have to drive a car from the 60s to appreciate how good vehicles are these days? :cheeky:

And shag: the heart to heart moments in Ms Marvel were some of the most genuine things in the entire MCU. I am glad they are (hopefully) moving away from Whedon-poisoned snark and quipfests.

I wish they had kept as low stakes as the first couple of eps bc there was humor AND there was meaningful family drama.

I thought going to the past was a big miss personally.

One other thing my mind goes blank every time I see "Whedon" and "quips" bc it's such a nothing criticism at this point. Whedon's work is a decade old. I think it's lazy to paint stuff with that brush just bc it isn't good. Could we find new ways to criticize Marvel stuff?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

typical gen z snowflake who can't spell Missy Elliott's name properly go back to your avocado macchiato

Lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think it stems from how Tony Stark developed and then every single hero was now speaking similar. Should move away from it though, you're right, his gross rear end is not associated with this.

Speaking of Ms.Marvel - I kinda found their inspiration for the big plan to get to Avengers Con: Bon Jovi's "It's My Life"

Timestamped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2u5uUu3DE&t=175s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ubik_Lives posted:

Also she's totally wrong about the A and B plots connecting there. Her prior connection to Dennis has literally nothing to do with Abomination's case until Dennis's case is resolved and she gets her idea. If you're going to break me out of the story, please get your jokes in order.

That is the A and B plots connecting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

It's very easy to imagine that. I would've liked the show to imagine it too, just in the context of the MCU, not lazily cribbing from Twitter/YouTube loons.

I'm having trouble understanding what you're getting at. You're supposing that there's any logic or consistency to sexism and misogyny. It doesn't matter if She Hulk is the first female version of a superhero in that universe. These assholes will still think it's stealing male Valor.

Like these dicks aren't going into case histories and past examples than settling on THESE BROADS ARE STEALING OUR STUFF

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"She-Hulk reaches an all new LOW! Marvel makes her TWERK!"

LOL in the comics they had an entire issue about her skipping rope naked after the readers kept "demanding it" after she joked about it one time in the letters page.

(After a few pages the editor walks into the comic and reveals that she's not actually naked)

She-Hulk has a loooong history of her just trying to enjoy her life and then having to deal with people being skeevy about it, there was an entire issue of Fantastic Four about a paparazzo snapping photos of her sunbathing topless and Jen trying to stop the skin mag editor (who looked suspiciously like Stan Lee) from publishing them.

That's mostly John Byrne being slimy.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The Grumbles posted:

Honestly they chose that cameo specifically because she’s one of the most widely recognised celebrities globally and you’re likely to know who she is by virtue of reading the news or being out in society. People in this thread channelling their embarrassment into arguing that her cameo is some supreme act of hubris on the part of the show runners is the silliest thing yet.

I mean she's probably within top 1000. Probably somewhere in the latter part.

It was a silly cameo and silly dance. :shrug: Worst part was the CGI.
I bet Tatyana could have done it better.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shageletic posted:

I'm having trouble understanding what you're getting at. You're supposing that there's any logic or consistency to sexism and misogyny. It doesn't matter if She Hulk is the first female version of a superhero in that universe. These assholes will still think it's stealing male Valor.

Like these dicks aren't going into case histories and past examples than settling on THESE BROADS ARE STEALING OUR STUFF

And it's still gonna tie into the larger trend of "womens in my media :(" that presumably still exists in the MCU. Batwoman, Korra, Captain Michael Burnham from Star Trek, etc. And even if those things don't exist, the whole replacement conspiracy isn't really about pop culture anyway. Men feel threatened because they actually are losing their privilege, their traditional place in society actually is "under attack", in a sense. So, seeing women in power is going to trigger that issue.

I also want to argue that the conflict of this show is whether She-Hulk can beat up bad guys (she's a hulk, she's gonna beat 'em up) or even whether she's gonna win individual court cases. It's about whether she can find respect and acceptance from her peers, her family, her friends, her society at large, and herself. Even her BFF Nikki is largely dismissive of her concerns. I agree with the others that it's gotta be moving towards Jen learning to embrace herself and fully integrate all her aspects.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

There was one person saying something like that 3-4 pages ago, mostly calling it heavy-handed, not whatever you're implying here.

The 'last page' was mainly me complaining precisely about it being 'real life' trolls instead of 'in-universe'. So this relevation that they literally just modified some real comments is no surprise.

Shageletic posted:

Yes true, maybe in the MCU such people would still exist to some extent, but I still feel the balance of the segment was off and too influenced by the real-life reaction. It's really something I don't think would've been in the show had the writers hadn't been shocked and appalled by those comments. There's a million other ways such a sequence could've made a meaningful point whilst staying in-context.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Incels whining on Twitter are so predictable that you can literally do a find/replace on their tweets for the latest show in the cultural zeitgeist

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Typical woke Disney punching down at the truth speakers these colors don't run step on me green mommy

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it’s fine that the MCU is moving away from the early Buffyesque quips, but while Whedon may have turned out to be a terrible person, his style is still very much my jam.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/wongrel/status/1565523617630326785

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

DiscoJ posted:

Yes true, maybe in the MCU such people would still exist to some extent, but I still feel the balance of the segment was off and too influenced by the real-life reaction. It's really something I don't think would've been in the show had the writers hadn't been shocked and appalled by those comments. There's a million other ways such a sequence could've made a meaningful point whilst staying in-context.
I mean, the show literally had Bruce Banner making a joke about being recast in the last episode. The fourth wall is not exactly a hard thing in this series, and the joke was 100% making fun of those people in real life.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

adhuin posted:

It was a silly cameo and silly dance. :shrug: Worst part was the CGI.
I bet Tatyana could have done it better.

that was maslany doing the twerking lol

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I feel like Wong would be on Bumble.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

double negative posted:

that was maslany doing the twerking lol

Mo-cap isn't real, silly.
That rear end had some unCANny valley.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Oasx posted:

This is hilarious

I can’t believe there are still people, including *in this thread*, who keep denying either the existence of these incels, or the extent to how many there are of them. Getting several hundred thousand views (and sometimes a million+) on a video which is just “a woman exists and you should be angry about it” is a loving industry at this point.

They did it for Captain Marvel, they did it for Black Widow, they did it for Ms. Marvel, they’re doing it for She-Hulk. They don’t do it for the men. Well, apart from Sam Wilson Captain America and I don’t know why they turned on hi… actually I do know why they turned on him. (Their favourite thing there was posting the clip of Steve running faster than Sam and… you know Sam can fly, right?)

These shows can never go hard enough on these CHUDs, and the reality will always be worse by an order of magnitude than anything seen on screen.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
All I know is that if Deadpool twerked with MTS, then the chodes online would be laughing their asses off and loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

So I'm not allowed to discuss a show I like in a thread dedicated to do just that? Well, good to know I guess, thanks.

chitoryu12 posted:

That is the A and B plots connecting.

Yeah, so I mean the line should go there, and not back at the bar. But that was just some excessive pedantry from me, not some CinemaSins ding.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 2, 2022