Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

The LOOMS LIVE!

:smug:

I loved the lore heavy VNAs. The idea of Gallifrey having a space empire then turning inward, of being a highly telepathic race with a shared consciousness that lost it, and having to use regeneration as a crutch because of sterility greatly sets up the ossified Time Lord's while making them humanized. Glimpses of that stuff were cool to me personally. It seemed they were moving the mythos of the show in new directions. I also liked the scope--like audios, there's unlimited budget to show things special effects can only now.

I didn't love some of the more outre stuff, because it just didn't seem like Doctor Who. But I could respect stories like Warlock or Transit because when they went for it, they went for it.

The VNAs were all we had in the Wilderness Years, and the idea that we were getting new DW was exciting. I do recall, before the TV movie, there was a point I thought they were going to regenerate McCoy and create a new Doctor and wishing they would. Not because I didn't like McCoy, but because I wanted somebody to take ownership of the franchise and move it forward. I never would have imagined it coming back like it did and becoming more popular than ever, and I didn't want it to become an old franchise stuck in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Yeah, losing site of the core ethos of the franchise in novels is an issue. The EDAs go on increasingly weird tangents to the point where they hardly feel like Doctor Who anymore. Because they had so little material to work with on what the Eighth Doctor is like as a character, his characterization is all over the place to the point where its really hard to imagine McGann playing the character.

With the audios, the actors know these characters inside out, and seem willing to object if there's something they think is out of character.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also, ASK ME how much I hate Faction Paradox...

Speaking of the Wilderness Years and the Cartmel Masterplan, here's a timely what if video that just came out about what S27 might have been like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWevY-wkyU0

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A lot of that video is cribbed from the incredibly excellent DWM feature on Season 27 and beyond called 'What If?" and "27-Up", which can be read here

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

its really hard to imagine McGann playing the character.

Yeah, he'd have to suffer multiple explosive cases of amnesia to make it all make any sense. How likely is THAT!?!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, he'd have to suffer multiple explosive cases of amnesia to make it all make any sense. How likely is THAT!?!

When The Bad Wolf/The Moment called Eleven the "Doctor Who Forgets" in Day of the Doctor, I half-imagined an anguished scream coming from Paul McGann's house.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/cooperhillier/status/1565081997491556353

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh Sylvester :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just the way he throws the umbrella and starts stripping without breaking character is :allears:

Peak McCoy

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

The_Doctor posted:

A lot of that video is cribbed from the incredibly excellent DWM feature on Season 27 and beyond called 'What If?" and "27-Up", which can be read here

That dalek in the top left is what they should have gone for in the new series. None of this awkward flying around of the full body, just detach the top from the bottom and off it goes. Then again, they did that idea with the flying cybermen heads so maybe not.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SecretOfSteel posted:

That dalek in the top left is what they should have gone for in the new series. None of this awkward flying around of the full body, just detach the top from the bottom and off it goes. Then again, they did that idea with the flying cybermen heads so maybe not.

Only if the actors are wearing png leggings while doing so

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Love this video, I once tried making a gif of it into an avatar with the text "I AM FAR MORE THAN JUST ANOTHER TIME LORD" under Sylvester stomping and jumping around but couldn't really get it to work unfortunately.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Vinylshadow posted:

Only if the actors are wearing png leggings while doing so

Oh my god that's great.

I was fine with the Dalek flying scene in Remembrance of the Daleks. It's moving back and forth a little and there's flames/energy poo poo coming out of the bottom to lend it a little weight. The biggest problem with the flying Daleks in the revival is that they were 100% CGI, and it was baaaad CGI. They'd work alright if you had an actual model in front of a greenscreen and put on shocks so that it shakes a bit.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Rochallor posted:

Oh my god that's great.

I was fine with the Dalek flying scene in Remembrance of the Daleks. It's moving back and forth a little and there's flames/energy poo poo coming out of the bottom to lend it a little weight.

I remember clearly as a kid being excited that there was a new series of Doctor Who and watching Remembrance when it was first broadcast. It (and the Seventh Doctor and Ace) hold a dear place in my heart as I loved this story and it's the earliest I can remember seeing a non-repeat episode.

But funnily my memory of the episode 1 cliffhanger wasn't amazement and fear at the dalek floating up the stairs, but young me yelling at the TV, "Why are you flying? You've got a gun, just shoot him!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The excellent novelisation (by Ben Aaronovitch, the screenwriter) is like an early NA, and has a bit about the Dalek only having enough power for one action, flying or shooting.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ChrisChapman81/status/1565998755836461059

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Today's audio was Dark Universe and there's a lot of plates spinning in this one. Expanding on the short scene at the start of Doom Coalition, this has the 7th Doctor and a middle aged Ace vs the Eleven. There's a sense of scale in this one - the Eleven uses the mcguffin of the title to wrap reality to his own image.

There's a lot going on - maybe too much for a standard main range four parter. You've got the Doctor reuniting with an older, successful Ace, after her time on Gallifrey, with the two looking back on their complex relationship. You've got the Eleven, and all the attention the character(s) demand, and you've got McCoy playing the wide spectrum of his Doctor's personality. There's simply not enough time for all of these to breathe properly. If this had been a stand alone boxset, something like Unit Dominion, it could have had the room it needs. There's an few interesting plot threads left hanging, if they decide to follow them up.

It's a very decent story, but it needed more time and space for its sense of scale, both intergalactic and personal.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I visited Cardiff last week.

Ianto's Shrine is still there and I really wonder if there's people maintaining it or at least keeping an eye on it because otherwise how hasn't it been ripped off the wall yet.

Internet says there used to be TARDISes in some unexpected placed like on the castle wall and somewhere in the bay but I didn't see any. I suspect those are long gone.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

With OldMemes discussing an Eleven story - how do you all feel about The Eleven as a character(s)? I thought it was a pretty cool gimmick and Bonnar does a bang up job with it. Though they appear to be doing the typical Big Finish successful villain thing where they try to shove it into everything and ruins it quickly...but so far it hasn't worn out its welcome with me because of how well Bonnar plays it. Same reason I never get sad when Rufus Hound's Monk shows up, he's just a blast.

What I am NOT so sold on is how they appear to be slowly working the other Regens in (The Nine in the 4th Dr Range). I did listen to one (I think there's more than one now?) and it was enjoyable, actor does a fine job with the characterization of the regens and showing the Nine in charge of things, but how long until we get through the entire Regen list?

And kind of an aside but that made me realize what a cool Unbound story you could do with the different renegade timelords all getting mixed up. Next BF writing prompt, I will be sure to intend to write something up for this and never actually get around to it.

Edit: gently caress it, burn the concept to the ground. I don't HAVE to listen to a story if I don't want to and more BF is good. But I do think it can lose quality and direction quickly if they aren't careful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McGann posted:

With OldMemes discussing an Eleven story - how do you all feel about The Eleven as a character(s)? I thought it was a pretty cool gimmick and Bonnar does a bang up job with it. Though they appear to be doing the typical Big Finish successful villain thing where they try to shove it into everything and ruins it quickly...but so far it hasn't worn out its welcome with me because of how well Bonnar plays it. Same reason I never get sad when Rufus Hound's Monk shows up, he's just a blast.

Honestly, not really enamored with them as a villain. It reminds me a lot of (and god help me for saying this) the Joker; "Look at how craaaaazy the Eleven is and watch how he crazies his way through this situation!" I find it kind of tiring and there's not a whole lot there for me to latch onto with their character. It definitely doesn't help when there's constant character shifts so I never feel like I get to "know" any of the personalities expect in the broadest sense (well, except the good one who got a couple stories in a box set to himself).

As it stands, I'll listen to an audio with the Eleven, but if I have a choice between the Eleven and any other villain I'll look at the other villains.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Mark Bonnar always seems like he's having fun, but the only really clearly defined personalities are the Eleven, The Nine and the Eight. The others tend to be a bit interchangeable. He was a great supporting character in Doom Coalition - the free giveaway of the first part was what got me back into Big Finish.

The bit with the Nine in Doom Coalition, where Liv and Helen mistake him for a newly regenerated Doctor was pretty good. But those other personalities need fleshing out a bit more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

I visited Cardiff last week.

Ianto's Shrine is still there and I really wonder if there's people maintaining it or at least keeping an eye on it because otherwise how hasn't it been ripped off the wall yet.

There's an old legend that if the Ianto Shrine is desecrated, it summons an angry giant who will pull his support for promoting the television industry in Wales.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/therealjomartin/status/1566741201784606721?s=20&t=LyLgUknyz84Jsw5sm7nSqw

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, not really enamored with them as a villain. It reminds me a lot of (and god help me for saying this) the Joker; "Look at how craaaaazy the Eleven is and watch how he crazies his way through this situation!" I find it kind of tiring and there's not a whole lot there for me to latch onto with their character. It definitely doesn't help when there's constant character shifts so I never feel like I get to "know" any of the personalities expect in the broadest sense (well, except the good one who got a couple stories in a box set to himself).

As it stands, I'll listen to an audio with the Eleven, but if I have a choice between the Eleven and any other villain I'll look at the other villains.

OldMemes posted:

Mark Bonnar always seems like he's having fun, but the only really clearly defined personalities are the Eleven, The Nine and the Eight. The others tend to be a bit interchangeable. He was a great supporting character in Doom Coalition - the free giveaway of the first part was what got me back into Big Finish.

I get this - Most of the personalities are not fleshed out and some of the authors take very lazy routes with the "He's got a mental illness" thing. I enjoy the interplay between the regens, but I can see how it may not be the easiest distinction and I may be projecting some onto what I want it to be.

I think The One is the most interesting to me, because he seems like the attempt to counter-point the First Doctor (and pretty sure Alternate 1st Doc becomes an Archivist in the Unbound series?). Probably not enough there to hear a full story about him but I do get interested when he pipes up, which isn't that often. A very distinct Hartnell quality to it.

What stories did 8 get to himself? I vaguely recall one of them, but I do most of my BF listening "enhanced" (aka I'm a stoner guys), so that's all I'm getting so far.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

McGann posted:

I get this - Most of the personalities are not fleshed out and some of the authors take very lazy routes with the "He's got a mental illness" thing. I enjoy the interplay between the regens, but I can see how it may not be the easiest distinction and I may be projecting some onto what I want it to be.

I think The One is the most interesting to me, because he seems like the attempt to counter-point the First Doctor (and pretty sure Alternate 1st Doc becomes an Archivist in the Unbound series?). Probably not enough there to hear a full story about him but I do get interested when he pipes up, which isn't that often. A very distinct Hartnell quality to it.

What stories did 8 get to himself? I vaguely recall one of them, but I do most of my BF listening "enhanced" (aka I'm a stoner guys), so that's all I'm getting so far.

The Eight features in the later Doom Coalition stories, and regenerates into the Nine.

McGann
May 19, 2003

OldMemes posted:

The Eight features in the later Doom Coalition stories, and regenerates into the Nine.

Oh snap, I had completely forgotten about this part of DC. I think by the time DC rolled, I was so deep in my binging that I barely paid attention to the plots, it was just a stream of entertainment encapsulating my brain 24/7 (At that point I was listening while working, because I can, but found I wasn't retaining for poo poo so stopped that).

Have to look into it and give it a relisten sometime, thanks!

Investigating BF's site has led me to realize...I really have conflated a lot of DC and Ravenous together. Too big of plots with too big of casts too close together IMO.

Edit: I completely forgot about the TWELVE. Enjoyed her as well.

McGann fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 6, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I needed a laugh so I listened to BF's adaptation of Mission To Magnus.

The first half is genuinely so bad it's great, a perfect storm of wooden child actors, terrible sex comedy and blatant misogyny -- unfortunately it peaks during an early scene where the aforementioned wooden child actors attempt to make out with Peri's feet.

The second half is very, very boring, though it brings it back in the story's final scenes, which need to be heard to be believed. LMFAO.

Do not buy this.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Wasn't that from Colin Baker's 'Lost Stories' line (aka unaired scripts from the turbulent years)? God, imagine if that had gone to air. Mary Whitehouse would have died in a diarrhea-anger explosion.

(Of course, it probably went through rewrites in the intervening years when many of the writers decided to get really loving weird about Ace and Peri.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I needed a laugh so I listened to BF's adaptation of Mission To Magnus.

The first half is genuinely so bad it's great, a perfect storm of wooden child actors, terrible sex comedy and blatant misogyny -- unfortunately it peaks during an early scene where the aforementioned wooden child actors attempt to make out with Peri's feet.

The second half is very, very boring, though it brings it back in the story's final scenes, which need to be heard to be believed. LMFAO.

Do not buy this.

I got that in a Humble Bundle where I marked all of the payment down for charity and I want my money back.

It is hands down the worst Doctor Who story I have ever encountered. If you like your misogyny so regressive that it would have been shockingly backward to air it in 1984, then this is the story for you! If this was the first story on tap, I can't blame the BBC for putting Doctor Who on hiatus. I'm actually angry that Big Finish thought it was acceptable to adapt it in that state rather than rewrite it down to its bones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God I haven't heard the audio but it was a Philip Martin story too :gonk:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

After having recently rewatched the Davison era where she was introduced and the first few stories of Colin Baker's era, I have a new and abiding respect for Nicola Bryant. She suffered so much in regards to being cast as purely eye candy for DW dads, I wouldn't have blamed her one bit if she'd have completely washed her hands of the show after leaving.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-abominable-snowmen-changes-newsupdate/

Imagine thinking the solution to racist casting was a higher quality of yellowface. wtf

Random Stranger posted:

I got that in a Humble Bundle where I marked all of the payment down for charity and I want my money back.

It is hands down the worst Doctor Who story I have ever encountered. If you like your misogyny so regressive that it would have been shockingly backward to air it in 1984, then this is the story for you! If this was the first story on tap, I can't blame the BBC for putting Doctor Who on hiatus. I'm actually angry that Big Finish thought it was acceptable to adapt it in that state rather than rewrite it down to its bones.

The best part is that it's clearly been rewritten -- and not just the necessary changes required for audio. There's a whole loving 9/11 moment and everything.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Doctor who audio is truly a land of contracts in terms of quality. Home to some of my favorite doctor who but also sometimes it can get quite dire.

Also has anyone else noticed a drop in the cover artworks being a bit more janky then usual? First World problems and all that but like the way the brigadiers been photoshopped just feels a bit off. :shrug: Where is his neck lol.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 8, 2022

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I have a vague memory of reading the Target novelisation of The Ultimate Evil, another one of Six's Lost Stories. I can't remember much apart from Six being brainwashed into being an arsehole again.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Confusedslight posted:

Doctor who audio is truly a land of contracts in terms of quality. Home to some of my favorite doctor who but also sometimes it can get quite dire.

Also has anyone else noticed a drop in the cover artworks being a bit more janky then usual? First World problems and all that but like the way the brigadiers been photoshopped just feels a bit off. :shrug: Where is his neck lol.

god I am so far behind on the relisten, I'm still on the The Spectre of Lanyon Moor, but I forgot how much I goddamn love Evelyn Smythe. First original Big Finish companion and they just knocked it out of the park.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crapilicious posted:

god I am so far behind on the relisten, I'm still on the The Spectre of Lanyon Moor, but I forgot how much I goddamn love Evelyn Smythe. First original Big Finish companion and they just knocked it out of the park.

Everybody loves Evelyn because she's the best. I wish there were more audios with her as a companion since I've listened to all of them. If Maggie Stables was still alive I'd love to get her reaction to being partnered up with a revival era Doctor...

I listened to The Shadow of the Scourge yesterday and while I haven't read any Virgin New Adventures novels, that story felt like an adaptation of a rejected novel pitch for that line. I'm only going on what I know of them (and its why I'm in no rush to read them). It's overstuffed, has a weird clash of tones, and feels tied up in 90s Doctor Who fan culture.

Next one on my list is Bang Bang a Boom. I don't remember anything about this one except it's supposed to be comedic...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/status/1567869257970483201

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Knowing Ben Aaronovitch, he’ll be quietly pleased by that.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Quatermass IV was a near-future story with a king too, and that came out in the 1970s. People really thought she would die way earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

From Popbitch:

Jodie Whittaker is the first Dr Who since Tom Baker to be the doctor under three different prime ministers.