Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Stranger in one scene repeats Urë and Mana over and over.

Urë means “heat” in Quenya
Mana possibly means either “what” or “who”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
someone give me the power rankings stat so i know which fight scenes are realistic

'god'
morgoth
sauron
mega elves
wizards
regular elves
everyone else

is that right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hammerstein posted:

I think it really shows that they did not pick from Hollywood's A-list. Jackson's movies had actors like: Ian McKellen, Orlando Bloom, Sean Bean, Cate Blanchett, Christopher Lee(!!), Viggo Mortensen and a lot of other talented people who made stuff work and gave gravitas to dialogues and characters that would otherwise have been corny or goofy.

Christopher Lee would've knifed Peter Jackson if he wasn't involved with the LotR movies. Without taking anything away from their quality as actors, nobody on the LotR cast at the time was a true A-List actor in the traditional sense of the term, especially when they filmed the movies.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Finished the first episode and I'm in the same boat as some of the others in the thread who were saying that it looks gorgeous but they haven't succeeded in making me care about any of these characters. I'll keep tuning in because there are worse ways to spend an hour, but it's kind of like an inverse GoT pilot, where instead of not knowing where it's going but the show has a badass hook, I know exactly where it's going and I couldn't care less.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
the tales that really mattered
'god'
morgoth
sauron
mega elves
wizards
regular elves
everyone else

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This is Tulkas erasure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Incredible Tulk, to you :colbert:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Christopher Lee would've knifed Peter Jackson if he wasn't involved with the LotR movies.

He would have done it too. Bagging some nerd Kiwi film director is nothing compared to hunting Nazis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Christopher Lee sneaks up behind Peter, knife in hand.

"Peter, have you ever heard the sound someone makes when they've been stabbed in the back? Because I have, and now you have, too."

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
some say his wartime assassin antics are still classified in her majesty's archives. some say he made it all up because he was, as were and are many, a big clingy nerd who needed people to like him.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The show looks fantastic, at times aping Jackson and other times doing its own thing which is exactly correct, right up to the point where two characters have a conversation. At that point, the two characters stand stock still in front of a green screen and do shot/reverse shot like it's Mass Effect or a Telltale Games production. Unfortunately, that's like twenty percent of this show. The conversation between Elrond and Galadriel over whether she's going to the Grey Havens is a particularly grievous offender because the content of the talk goes nowhere and they just go on and on and on without even walking around.

It should be said that the actors for Elrond and Galadriel are fantastic, easily exceeding my expectations. Honestly everyone's acting pretty well, but hardly any of the characters are interesting. So far, only Galadriel, Elrond, Durin, and Disa are at all compelling while everyone else is purely a stock character. That said, Galadriel and Elrond are interesting enough and the cinematography is good enough that I'll probably keep watching. The highlight for me were the fights. The snow troll and the orc/goblin had great designs and the fights with them were really cool.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This is better than my expectations though I'm not sure it's "good".

LOTR is all about awe at the ruins of once-greater civilizations. Portraying those places at their height without it being a letdown seems like an impossible task, but I did like Khazad-Dum. We'll see how they handle Numenor.

My biggest problem might just be I'm getting tired of TV pacing and want to watch more movies where the story is in and out in 2 hours.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tom Bombadil is canonically alive during this show right?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I'm dumb as hell and don't give a poo poo about lord of the rings outside of video entertainment, and I enjoyed the hell out of this. I went in expecting trash, or to be bored at best, but I was engaged the whole time and was impressed basically from the jump. Some things that stood out to me that I enjoyed in no particular order:

-The contrast between architectural styles between races, and actually general aesthetic up to and including how each race is portrayed by their actors.
-Those dope elven breastplates that look like wood. (i cant remember the last time I thought a tv fantasy armor was cool)
-Galadriel's story is cool and fun, and I enjoy her acting. The ocean thing was lol but kinda badass at the same time. Same with the snow troll.
-The loving tunneler orc
-The dwarven city
-The dwarven test of endurance
-The dwarves
-I liked the portrayal of scale wrt to the harfoots to everything else (giant blackberries)
-How mad chuds are about "the lore" when what they mean is skin color

Gimme the rest, bezo i was underwhelmed by WoT and there's been a dearth of good high fantasy in general.

edit: oh yeah the carvings of fallen elves in the living trees was cool as gently caress both visually and thematically

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Arc Hammer posted:

To be fair that's not difficult. There's three hours of fantastic footage in the Hobbit trilogy but you uave to sift through ten hours of Alfred in a corset to get all of it.

The sad thing about The Hobbit is that it started out so well. The dwarves singing the Misty Mountains song in Bilbo's home was fantastic and it suddenly switched from the light hearted jokes of the dinner scene, to something with much more depth and seriousness and for a moment I hoped that this would be the theme of the trilogy. And then it all descended into some cartoony Disney poo poo.

This still gives me shivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5BETb-hLgA

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 3, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Corbeau posted:

My personal bet is that it's a blue wizard. I wasn't thinking about it until I read the thread, but it makes too much sense now that I have. Gandalf would be a big timeline shift. A blue wizard is a blank slate they can more freely write a story around.

After he's makes those symbols in the dirt and starts chanting you can see a very slight blue aura around him.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

FiftySeven posted:

Although I will say that frankly if you have an issue with the pacing of this show, please never read the books because they are so so much slower than this.

The books is much brisker than this. Chapter 1 is Bilbo's party, chapter 2 you get the history of the ring and you learn that Frodo is in grave danger and has to run for his life. So 1 hour into the book you know the main character well, you know why he's being threatened and you know what he has to do.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

algebra testes posted:

Tom Bombadil is canonically alive during this show right?

Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn, dude

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The books is much brisker than this. Chapter 1 is Bilbo's party, chapter 2 you get the history of the ring and you learn that Frodo is in grave danger and has to run for his life. So 1 hour into the book you know the main character well, you know why he's being threatened and you know what he has to do.

The entire first book is a slow and meandering stroll until they get near the fords at the very end. Frodo learns he's in grave danger and just hangs out and drinks tea for months. Some of the wildest action is Sam throwing an apple at a dude's head.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The first episode was kind of dull but at least the Dolby Vision / HDR was popping off

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

The sad thing about The Hobbit is that it started out so well. The dwarves singing the Misty Mountains song in Bilbo's home was fantastic and it suddenly switched from the light hearted jokes of the dinner scene, to something with much more depth and seriousness and for a moment I hoped that this would be the theme of the trilogy. And then it all descended into some cartoony Disney poo poo.

The third movie is one of the the most joyless weightlessly violent blockbusters ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnbDAKp5xs

I think it might be the worst mega-budget movie of the 2010s

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone please ctrl f LotR for "Armenelos" so we know in advance if the Numenoreans will live in "Elros's Landing" or not

Also, the missing villagers in Counterpart Clare's plot are being turned into orcs

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Orcs are bred naturally as any other beast, a reality blessedly absent from Jackson's stretched condom ecology.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Orcs are just hosed up elves w stockholm syndrome

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm not sure I like Galadriel's characterization so far. She's supposed to be a super powerful but subtle mage and not a swashbuckling knight. Also she's married. Like Elves mate for life married. Like married for thousands of years married. I've seen enough TV to know what happens when you stick two good looking people on a boat together.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm not sure I like Galadriel's characterization so far. She's supposed to be a super powerful but subtle mage and not a swashbuckling knight. Also she's married. Like Elves mate for life married. Like married for thousands of years married. I've seen enough TV to know what happens when you stick two good looking people on a boat together.

I'll give it a pass as "young rookie learns the ropes" but I chuckled at the "actually, the girlboss's tenacity will be responsible for Sauron's resurgence" prophecy.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Gresh posted:

If your show has hasn't hooked me within the first 2 episodes, then sorry, you failed. I just don't buy the excuse that this is a TV show and that "setup needed to happen" in a post-Game of Thrones world. Just look at the first two episodes of Game of Thrones(or even House of the Dragon) and all the many characters and plot lines it beautifully sets up in that with forward momentum. ROP is just a stilted and meandering slog, albeit an expensive pretty one. Could things turn around later? Maybe, but I hate that poo poo in a world with so much media to choose from that it makes me feel like I'm being conned and wasting my time.

And I understand theres been a looot of chuds rooting for this to fail for not so subtle reasons, but I'm not gonna be dishonest with myself and give it a pass because of that... especially a Tolkien adaptation.

I'd rather a show starts off a little slower and works towards a satisfying conclusion than end as strongly as you say Game of Thrones did (which I don't really agree with) but leaves you feeling conned after 8 seasons. Granted, we don't know where this show is going, but they seem to have planned for five seasons already.

I think this is also a weird show in the sense that everyone already knows the main plot of what is going to happen. It's more about the ride than the conclusion.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm just going to re-iterate real quick that pretty much everything that feels off about the main characters is because the writers are cramming all of their first age Silmarillion-time character development into the timeframe of the show.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I liked the first two episodes enough to seek out this thread and read through it all, which took longer than watching.

I am not a Tolkien lore expert I’ve picked up more reading through this thread than I ever knew. I loved the first Jackson trilogy, was fairly disappointed by the hobbit. Was ready to hate this just because of Amazon but I would have sat and watched more episodes if they were available.

I got annoyed with Game of Thrones deviations from the source material so I guess I know how it feels for those who know far more about that. I am just enjoying it as it’s presented and for once ignorance is bliss.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
So anyway I couldn't detect a nipple or an rear end crack none. Some sort of body glove?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

2nd level spells posted:

So anyway I couldn't detect a nipple or an rear end crack none. Some sort of body glove?

Lord of the Rings is very prude. Viggo Mortensen open mouth kissing Liv Tyler made Tolkien rotate in the afterlife.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wont rest until there is full frontal hobbit nudity.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

High Warlord Zog posted:

The third movie is one of the the most joyless weightlessly violent blockbusters ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnbDAKp5xs

I think it might be the worst mega-budget movie of the 2010s
I love how armour means nothing now (as in later GoT) and most kills are stabs through a breastplate.

For me the worst action sequence is a toss up between the Dwarf v Smaug fight or fleeing Goblin Town.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
At least the goblin battle/chase and the climax of the second movie feel like indulgent excess on the part of Jackson. The only scene even close to that in Five Armies is the opening dragon attack on Laketown. Everything else feels like no one, not even Jackson, was having fun pulling it together at any point in the production

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hammerstein posted:

Lord of the Rings is very prude. Viggo Mortensen open mouth kissing Liv Tyler made Tolkien rotate in the afterlife.

Did you know that in The Two Towers, when Aragorn kicks the orc helmet, Viggo Mortensen is actually screaming legitimately because he broke his heart thinking about how Aragorn was gonna marry and kiss a lady in the next movie?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

rkd_ posted:

I think this is also a weird show in the sense that everyone already knows the main plot of what is going to happen. It's more about the ride than the conclusion.

True but the conclusion is like... 5000 years away so there's quite a lot of room for an enjoyable journey.

I've only watched the first episode so far but I'm really impressed overall. Shame it's getting review bombed to hell and back. If there was ever a story that would need heavy tweaks and changes to adapt it was pre-Third Age Middle Earth.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Buttchocks posted:

Also the elves just standing in their boat and posing for the whole trip was loving hilarious.

This is actually the part where I first thought 'holy poo poo, they actually did it! i like this a lot'. Like the first thought I had was the same as yours, I laughed wondering 'did they just pose like that their way through the trip over the ocean.' But then they started singing and did the cool shedding off the weapons and armor signifying leaving war and strife behind to ascend to paradise. I realized that it was all part of a ritual and really hammered home how the showrunners are able to do tolkienesque scenes and capture the magic of source material.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

High Warlord Zog posted:

At least the goblin battle/chase and the climax of the second movie feel like indulgent excess on the part of Jackson. The only scene even close to that in Five Armies is the opening dragon attack on Laketown. Everything else feels like no one, not even Jackson, was having fun pulling it together at any point in the production

i know ive seen the battle of five armies, and i know its three hours long, and the only thing i can remember about is the dude from halt and catch fire shows up on a moose and someone gets trapped under ice at some point

i dont even remember if the sexy dwarf and the elf bone

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'm also really enjoying the show so far (maybe because I'm not that much of a LotR nerd, I've only seen the movies and read The Hobbit). I don't understand how the new Game of Thrones show is getting so much better reviews when it seems much worse.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i know ive seen the battle of five armies, and i know its three hours long, and the only thing i can remember about is the dude from halt and catch fire shows up on a moose and someone gets trapped under ice at some point

i dont even remember if the sexy dwarf and the elf bone

All I remember is Legolas jumping through the falling bridge or wtv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Average Lettuce posted:

I don't understand how the new Game of Thrones show is getting so much better reviews when it seems much worse.

They're both good and very different. :)