Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Flesh Forge posted:

tbh I have no doubt he put a lot more work into inking that than the pencil work

You'd be surprised. :haw:

https://twitter.com/HeGotGronch/status/1550823602676588544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

As a fellow lefty, I wonder if that technique was developed as a by-product of trying to avoid smudges when learning how to write. It would be less of an issue when drawing since you can start anywhere on the page, unlike the forced left-to-right, top-to-bottom direction of writing that normally causes the palm of a lefty to drag over the text as it’s written.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SexyBlindfold posted:

it straight up looks like a secret technique some shonen protagonist in a sports manga about penmanship would pull out

Oh my God that's the perfect description

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wanted to say I actually do something similar sometimes when I draw. When I feel like starting out sketchy and loose, I'll hold the pencil over my pinky, almost horizontally, and as I go along and add more details, I'll gradually move it between the next set of fingers, until I'm holding it normally. Can't explain for the life of me what he's doing with his thumb, though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Keromaru5 posted:

I wanted to say I actually do something similar sometimes when I draw. When I feel like starting out sketchy and loose, I'll hold the pencil over my pinky, almost horizontally, and as I go along and add more details, I'll gradually move it between the next set of fingers, until I'm holding it normally. Can't explain for the life of me what he's doing with his thumb, though.

I just want to say that it is extremely entertaining following the conversation without having seen the clip, my imagination is running wild.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's using it as a rest for the pen, like you'd use the middle finger in a normal grip.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Open Marriage Night posted:

It looks comfortable. It’s harder to see what you’re working on, but I bet it helps him draw for longer periods without his hand/wrist cramping.

easier than whatever the gently caress Erik Larsen is doing anyway

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I can't copy it and get an angle in my hand where a ballpoint pen reliably writes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
anyone know where this is from?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
between the art and the fact that it's named in the speech bubble I'm going with liefeld's fighting American

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

anyone know where this is from?

Fighting American #2

Art by Stephen Platt, story by Rob Liefeld, script by Jeff Loeb.

It was originally a Captain America book Rob Liefeld was putting together in the mid-90s. When Marvel was facing bankruptcy and low-balled Liefeld as a result, he reached out to original Captain America creator Joe Simon and Roz Kirby, widow of the Cap's other creator, Jack Kirby. Simon and Kirby had created a Cap 2.0 character named Fighting American back in the 1950s, but it didn't really go anywhere. Liefeld licensed the character, tweaked the art for the Captain America book and released this two issue miniseries.

It's... fine by mid-90s standards.

funtax fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 3, 2022

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

site posted:

between the art and the fact that it's named in the speech bubble I'm going with liefeld's fighting American

Are you sure he didn't collaborate on that? The foot is awfully prominent and drawn well... well, not Liefeldian, anyway.

E:f,b

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

funtax posted:

Fighting American #2

It was originally a Captain America book Rob Liefeld was putting together in the mid-90s. When Marvel was facing bankruptcy and low-balled Liefeld as a result, he reached out to original Captain America creator Joe Simon and Roz Kirby, widow of the Cap's other creator, Jack Kirby. Simon and Kirby had created a Cap 2.0 character named Fighting American back in the 1950s, but it didn't really go anywhere. Liefeld licensed the character, tweaked the art for the Captain America book and released this two issue miniseries.

It's a bit more complicated and scummy than that...

Back in 1996 Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and Avengers were selling poorly, so a deal was made for Image founders Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee to take over the books and to reboot them. Liefeld took on Cap and Avenger, Lee took FF and Iron Man.

By issue 6 the Liefeld books were late, selling badly, and deeply unpopular, so Marvel triggered a clause and took them of Liefeld and gave them to Lee to finish up the Heroes Reborn "experiment".

Liefeld then took the Captain America art they had and scribbled over it to create the BOLD NEW CHARACTER: Rob Liefeld's Agent America!

Of course Marvel pointed out that Agent America was literally just a redrawn Captain America book, with the same sidekick and Red Skull turned into a robot, and started legal action.

This is when Rob licensed Fighting American and redrew the same art to feature FA instead.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 3, 2022

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

God,the comicbook world is dumb inside and out.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

funtax posted:

Fighting American #2

ah yeah, Stephen Platt, the New McFarlane who turned out to be kind of a lunatic. Bonus for the cartoonish 500 MEGATON BOMB

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BooDooBoo posted:

It's a bit more complicated and scummy than that...

Back in 1996 Captain America, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and Avengers were selling poorly, so a deal was made for Image founders Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee to take over the books and to reboot them. Liefeld took on Cap and Avenger, Lee took FF and Iron Man.

By issue 6 the Liefeld books were late, selling badly, and deeply unpopular, so Marvel triggered a clause and took them of Liefeld and gave them to Lee to finish up the Heroes Reborn "experiment".

Liefeld then took the Captain America art they had and scribbled over it to create the BOLD NEW CHARACTER: Rob Liefeld's Agent America!

Of course Marvel pointed out that Agent America was literally just a redrawn Captain America book, with the same sidekick and Red Skull turned into a robot, and started legal action.

This is when Rob licensed Fighting American and redrew the same art to feature FA instead.

God bless Rob and his lovely, lovely art.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I kinda want to see an animated show that draws heavily on Liefeld's style just to see these exaggerated monstrosities in motion.

Picturing it in my head and the concept is striking me as pretty funny. Part of me wants to see it done like those old 60's era Marvel cartoons where they just lift panels from the comics which, while it might work, would rob us of getting to see how Liefeld's creations might actually move since they basically can't. I'm not even sure how they can eat or drink or fit through a door for that matter.

McFarlane's style translated fairly well in the HBO cartoon and I also loved The Maxx show on MTV so I know 90's EXTREME poo poo can work in an animated show but Rob would be an entirely different beast. Maybe if it were done as a parody.

EDIT:

ALso, did Rob color that himself? Because the coloring is actually not too bad even though it's airbrushed to hell and back

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If you want to see Rob Liefeld proportioned people animated, just watch Fist of the North Star. It’s pretty clear he took a lot of inspiration from that with the tiny heads and barrel chests.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Imagine Cable and Deadpool and other Liefelds, but they're JoJos.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Liefeld characters in motion would be fascinatingly grotesque. Just a bunch of meat shifting around in human skin suits.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

BiggerBoat posted:

I kinda want to see an animated show that draws heavily on Liefeld's style just to see these exaggerated monstrosities in motion.
They finally know how to render Yoshitaka Amano in 3D, so I figure anything's possible at this point.

Which just makes me wonder: would Liefeld be appreciated better if he were simply inked and colored differently?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm thinking like Aeon Flux but reverse the skinny slider bars to grotesquely muscled

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

As soon as I noticed that her left goggle shouldn't be floating off her face like that, I could no longer unsee it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They could be really fat framed glasses with very carefully hidden arms.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

nah

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Libra posted:

Liefeld characters in motion would be fascinatingly grotesque. Just a bunch of meat shifting around in human skin suits.

I want to see this character running.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

They finally know how to render Yoshitaka Amano in 3D, so I figure anything's possible at this point.

Which just makes me wonder: would Liefeld be appreciated better if he were simply inked and colored differently?

Probably not much but I bet I could improve on his pencils if I were to ink some of his pages.

Exaggeration and expressionism, when done right, take the medium to the next level and aid the story telling; guiding the eye through the page and emphasizing important visual elements. Frank Miller, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko weren't always masters of anatomy but everything doesn't have to look like John Buscema or Neal Adams.

The problem is, Liefeld and his "style" just add poo poo for the sake of adding it and think that more lines and more lens flare = better. Like, giving Captain America 68 teeth and more lines on his face don't DO anything for the character except make him look older and more weird. That approach MIGHT work for someone like Wolverine or Lobo. Dracula. Along similar lines, that infamous drawing of Captain America just seems to think that "more muscles" makes that character look better and he does that all time.

I'm not sure I could entirely ink his way out of the mess he draws most of the time but I'm fairly confident I could make his work look slightly better. Inking can't fix proportions, anatomy and his god awful page layouts or haphazard compositions but I'd bet that removing maybe half of the needless cross hatchings and just laying down some solid black areas along with varying some line weights could make it far easier on the eyes. It's too noisy and, handled more selectively, might translate into the dynamic approach he's aiming for.

But he draws everyone the same.

Rob's work DOES leap off the page, for better or worse, and kind of hollers at you but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny and it doesn't have any...pacing I guess. Everything is just LOUD, enormous and every character has muscles on top of muscles. It's like listening to a band that has everything dialed up to 11. He's also extremely limited in WHAT he can draw, so we get pouches, spiky hair and shoulder pads on everyone along with the same recycled facial expressions.

As far as coloring goes, I've mentioned it before but modern colorists tend to rely too much on the airbrush and too often select from the outer end of the palette where everything is "hot" and "juicy" - for lack of a better way of putting it. Everything is colored like the candy aisle in a grocery store or a gas station. Good ones are more subdued and take into account light sources, time of day, the environment and things like that.

Superman in the Fortress of Solitude should be colored differently than Superman on Mars or even in downtown Metropolis. I think of it in terms of "temperature" but I'm having a hard time explaining it I think. Look at Watchmen or TDKR for examples of how color works on a page. Done right, you can kind of "smell" the panels.

If that makes sense.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/f/fightame.htm#spice posted:

S.P.I.C.E.

Identity/Class: Cyborg
Affiliations: Fighting American (Awesome Comics version)
Enemies: Iron Cross, Red Menace
Known Relatives: None known
Aliases: None known
Base of Operations: Unknown
First Appearance: Fighting American #1 (Awesome Comics)
Powers/Abilities: Unknown

History: The Awesome Comic's Fighting American was teamed up with SPICE (Super Prototype Intelligent Cyborg Entity). SPICE had been a sixteen year old girl before being remade into a cyborg agent.

They converted a child into a killing machine. That is very on brand.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Liefelds work falls off the page and lands in an anatomically incorrect way on its chiselled toothy face.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

BooDooBoo posted:

I picked up the Fighting American out of morbid curiosity and even then the art in that first issue being a redrawing of Captain America pages was painfully obvious. Even though FA was supposed to be fighting the Red Army they were wearing Wehrmacht uniforms and one of the bunkers in the background was flying a Nazi flag with swastika clearly visible. You could also see some of the lines from Cap's costume such as the midriff stripes on the Fighting Amerhican.

OTOH the way they got around the legal injunction against the Fighting American throwing his shield like Cap by having the shield manifest a variety of ridiculous hidden missile launchers and machine guns despite just being a simple disc was hilarious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

She looks like the human part of a centaur attached to the back legs of the horse part.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Skwirl posted:

This might be one of my favorite Liefeld drawings because even if her legs ended where the fur boots begin, they’d STILL be way too long.

He always came across to me as a guy who just wants to draw without thinking or planning. He’s the kid who just wanted to draw cool sketches in his notebook while the nerds were taking notes paying attention and learning. The panel of the girl with goggles is a great example - he more than likely drew the girl, forgot she was supposed to have the goggles on, and then just drew a pair of goggles overtop his drawing without erasing anything. He did the same thing in that horrid Onslaught Returns thing from like 15 years ago. He drew Franklin Richards running, forgot he was supposed to have a gun, and then just drew a gun overtop of his hand. No re-drawing necessary!! Just gently caress it and move on to the next sketch!

Somewhere there is an alternate universe where he actually honed his craft and took some time to learn and grow as an artist. He had a lot of passion for comic books and for cool characters, but he never was able to harness it or translate that into storytelling ability or competent art. He’s the basketball player who just wanted to do COOL SLAM DUNKZ YO!! while his teammates were watching game film and working on plays and finessing their game. It’s sad, because I really think he COULD have been an elite artist with some maturity and self-awareness.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

BooDooBoo posted:

Don't sleep on the tiny shield that is less than a foot in diameter

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No his fist is 3ft wide

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The good agemt seems to be sitting on his own head.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

There's a twitter account that parodies Liefeld's art and it's amazing:

https://twitter.com/Lie_Felled

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

John Mirra posted:

These are great

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

John Mirra posted:

I am feeling enormous physical pain

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
god this guy is amazing lmao

https://twitter.com/Lie_Felled/status/1562963904988295169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I don't really follow industry stuff as much so I don't know whether Jhonen Vasquez's stock has risen or fallen but it was always funny in the 90s when he, Ben Edlund or Evan Dorkin looked at the comic landscape and said, "really?"