Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

One thing I know about the American legal system is that sometimes it’s really just not worth the effort to take something to trial even when you’re absolutely in the right. Costs a ton of money and sometimes an early settlement just makes way more sense

Even without considering legal costs, it’s often better to just settle rather than potentially losing in court and setting a precedent which can be used against you in the long term, not to mention punitive damages potentially awarded by a jury. This was often the case when I worked in wage recovery—the cost of a judgement not swinging in favor of a big company and the resulting precedent opening the door to even more lawsuits is not appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Oh christ, this dude teaches at UCLA business school.

The last thing you want in a business class is someone teaching their own "proprietary" frameworks. Professors like that are usually like "Buy all my books for $200 each and learn some poo poo that no one else in the world is going to know or care about".

man business people sure love to come up with fancy names for their elementary school level analytical frameworks

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
figuring out how I can sue Adam to be on TAFS

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

slave to my cravings posted:

1) Are you Eric Clapton?

2) Was Nick Mullen saying you’re controlled by a little man with levers actually false?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Do you think Nick would try to fight the court case by himself?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Run a sports betting website and be an advertiser

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do you think Nick would try to fight the court case by himself?

Go ahead and speak a little Chinese Derek

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Guy getting kicked out of the room because he won't stop shouting "DO AFRICAN GUY".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

This guy seems to have a legal strategy of "Throw all the claims in the big pot against the wall and see what sticks" and while it seems to have served him well in owning his ex-wife in family court and settling petty grievances with podcasters, I would be interested to see how well it works for him if he ever stumbles into big boy court.

Also, drat you ALAB for depriving us of seeing you argue against "Kill Shot" Cass

they call him coach because he teaches law, i think edit: oh you found that out later. he's a lot more competent than you think he is

instead of the kitchen sink approach you describe, i think of it more as batman with a utility belt. lots of tools and he attempts to know the appropriate time to use them: arguments, jurisdiction, pulling the right judge, a million other things

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Sep 3, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

some plague rats posted:

huh okay. And what are the other two

looking at this thread for the first time in six months only to be immediately greeted by this post that did not age well

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
lol the clincher is that the podcast appearance was preferable to the guy getting a court order for them to take his business class

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

i still can’t decide if this dude is a huge idiot or not but my opinion is honing in on him being a dumb kind of guy with a very developed sense of low cunning in his lizard brain

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

landgrabber posted:

looking at this thread for the first time in six months only to be immediately greeted by this post that did not age well

For those that also get confused because of this post

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

landgrabber posted:

Yeah it was a little too correct to be funny :(

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are the law nerds seriously getting insanely bullied by a guy named Coach. Is this a 90s comedy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This dude is gonna make all his students listen to this podcast

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

assigned lawyer at birth

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

assigned lawyer at birth

Finally, the worst gender - lawyer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

This dude is gonna make all his students listen to this podcast

without a doubt

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

imagine finding out your business school elective prof is a enthusiastic personal expert at harassment via nuisance lawsuits. it would be so hard to not tell everyone. cause if you did you might get sued.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'd been going back through the ALAB catalog in preparation for this since the announcements and I'd say there are two types of eps, the kind where they poo poo all over someone and the kind where they want to explain some concept (and one movie ep). There are bangers in both, but the first kind is almost always perfect (I'd probably say the Dersh two parter is a little flat but eps 3, 4-5, 8, 12, 17, & 20 (the last two being the Michigan militia and Jan 6 eps) are hilarious. The second kind has some great ones too, Gerontacracy 19 is wonderful as an example. Be aware that The Scapegoat two parter is a real downer.

Honestly the one that I think about an awful lot is 21, The Racism's Baked Right In. Not funny really at all but so interesting. It might just be because Andy's so passionate about it and he's a joy to listen to but really it's just a fascinating view into something I hadn't thought about before.

New ep wasn't bad at all but it also wasn't really a "true" ALAB simply due to format. It's great to have a little more after so long though, I hope there are more to come.

deadjb
Aug 11, 2002

coach sounds like spaceghost

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

LastInLine posted:

Honestly the one that I think about an awful lot is 21, The Racism's Baked Right In. Not funny really at all but so interesting. It might just be because Andy's so passionate about it and he's a joy to listen to but really it's just a fascinating view into something I hadn't thought about before.

ep 21 might be my fav just for hearing tell the story of the lawyer asking an actuary on the stand how do you know she's black?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

HashtagGirlboss posted:

One thing I know about the American legal system is that sometimes it’s really just not worth the effort to take something to trial even when you’re absolutely in the right. Costs a ton of money and sometimes an early settlement just makes way more sense

why potentially pay massive sums of money when you can turn it into Content

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
haven't listened yet but very excited based on posts in this thread

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

landgrabber posted:

why what happened

Truancy-Bot
May 9, 2012

eat a dick, truancy-bot
matt and chris said on the recent chapo that they're working on a thirty years' war series. should be good?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Truancy-Bot posted:

matt and chris said on the recent chapo that they're working on a thirty years' war series. should be good?

I'm getting vibes that it will be Dan Carlin esque in that it's fine if you know nothing about the 30YW but if you know anything about the period at all it'll be full of glaring errors

One of the other issues is that it's impossible to really get into the 30YW without a huge preamble to set up the scene, like if you don't have a pretty good grasp of how the Holy Roman Empire works a lot of stuff just won't make any sense

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm getting vibes that it will be Dan Carlin esque in that it's fine if you know nothing about the 30YW but if you know anything about the period at all it'll be full of glaring errors

One of the other issues is that it's impossible to really get into the 30YW without a huge preamble to set up the scene, like if you don't have a pretty good grasp of how the Holy Roman Empire works a lot of stuff just won't make any sense

they should have a 14 episode prequel series with Annibale to set the stage

vanishedimam
Nov 15, 2017
ive finished all the new blowback (amazing as usual). any suggestions on anything similar in terms of quality and general topic (history etc). in particular i think im ready to be JFK-pilled but everything ive found on that looks like poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

vanishedimam posted:

ive finished all the new blowback (amazing as usual). any suggestions on anything similar in terms of quality and general topic (history etc). in particular i think im ready to be JFK-pilled but everything ive found on that looks like poo poo

The podcast Inward Empire did five episodes on South Vietnam called the Diem Experiment. it's got a similar vibe.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

If they did it Age of Napoleon style, with a bunch of background episodes setting the stage for the 50ish years prior to his birth, it could be good

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

vanishedimam posted:

my friend, have you read the Jakarta Method?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

vanishedimam posted:

pretty tough to find anything with the general high production of blowback, but i'd say ghost stories for the end of the world is great. generally about political/deep state/intelligence intrigue in the 20th century. i'd just jump in to the first couple eps on the dutroux affair and the brabrant killings to get an idea of his style, then look around for whichever topic sounds interesting. he's pretty consistent in terms of his aesthetic and production, so i wouldn't worry much about jumping around

audiobook might be a better recommend, though. jakarta method's a great one, but i'd add if you want to get fully dulles-pilled go listen to the devil's chessboard

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Hooplah posted:

pretty tough to find anything with the general high production of blowback, but i'd say ghost stories for the end of the world is great. generally about political/deep state/intelligence intrigue in the 20th century. i'd just jump in to the first couple eps on the dutroux affair and the brabrant killings to get an idea of his style, then look around for whichever topic sounds interesting. he's pretty consistent in terms of his aesthetic and production, so i wouldn't worry much about jumping around

audiobook might be a better recommend, though. jakarta method's a great one, but i'd add if you want to get fully dulles-pilled go listen to the devil's chessboard

this owns thanks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hooplah posted:

Ghost Stories is really good, if you listen to TrueAnon there is a lot of crossover there so you might be hearing the same story twice.

I really like Age of Napoleon. The pacing is a little slow because the host is a phd or grad student but there is a lot of content in every episode.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

vanishedimam posted:

TrueAnon JFK series is really good and will direct you to sources to get even more JFK-pilled. You'll be cursing the name Dulles by the end I promise.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

vanishedimam posted:

Michael S. Judge’s series is really good, based mainly on JFK and the Unspeakable if you’d also like a good read.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah i'd also recommend MSJ's Death Is Just Around the Corner but the free feed got destroyed and while the free episodes are on patreon to listen through a web browser, there isn't a free feed that I can tell to recommend to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Xaris posted:

yeah i'd also recommend MSJ's Death Is Just Around the Corner but the free feed got destroyed and while the free episodes are on patreon to listen through a web browser, there isn't a free feed that I can tell to recommend to people.

Oh they’re gone? I read all those Pynchon books because of those free episodes.