Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

NikkolasKing posted:

With the exception of MOMO every character has development and resolution to their personal struggle that was started all the way back in Episode 1 or maybe 2 for just Jin.

I don't know what more you could want out of any of them.

Closure doesn't mean they aren't wasted. Ziggy and chaos in particular don't loving matter at all despite the latter being the bearer of Jesus Christ HImself's miracles. It has the exact same problems Gears and Blade 1/2/X do in that regards. 3 mostly rectifies that except for poor Sena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've never played a Phantasy Star. I tried a bit of 2 once but I didn't get it. Is IV that good?

I also need to give Skies of Arcadia another try.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Walla posted:

I've never played a Phantasy Star. I tried a bit of 2 once but I didn't get it. Is IV that good?

4 is the best 16-bit JRPG

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 is definitely the most modern of the classic phantasy star games. fi any of them is gonna click, its that one.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

4 is the best 16-bit JRPG

There's been so many in that category. I used to say that about FFVI, but I think it's actually FFIV for me.

Endorph posted:

4 is definitely the most modern of the classic phantasy star games. fi any of them is gonna click, its that one.

Cool, I'll definitely give it a shot.

I'm very finicky when it comes to RPGs. If the game doesn't hook me in the first 30 minutes then I generally fall off very quickly.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Walla posted:

There's been so many in that category. I used to say that about FFVI, but I think it's actually FFIV for me.

Cool, I'll definitely give it a shot.

I'm very finicky when it comes to RPGs. If the game doesn't hook me in the first 30 minutes then I generally fall off very quickly.

PSIV just so happens to be the RPG of the month in the JRPG thread.

Highly recommended, not to much info needed to know before playing it.

A bit of helpful tips before playing: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Phantasy_Star_IV:_The_End_of_the_Millennium

Patch fixes if you want if playing on emulator/everdrive: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4142/

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Endorph posted:

I played 4 first and it hooked me on Phantasy Star forever, I'm not sure that would've happened if I had started with any of the others. They are interesting curios to poke at after 4 just to see how the series got where it was going, but they're pretty busted in a bunch of ways beyond just their age. The last Sega Ages version of the original Phantasy Star on the Switch is legit solid though, 2 and 3 really needed that treatment but never got it.

4 was good enough to click with the SNES kid living next door at the time who wouldn't shut up about Final Fantasy and we killed a whole summer just on rentals

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phantasy Star IV is a darn good game and definitely in contention for best RPG of its generation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Walla posted:

4 is generally regarded as the peak of classic (pre-Online) Phantasy Star from what I've seen. The macro system for combat seems pretty interesting and maybe the closest a 16-bit RPG could get to FF12's Gambits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
skies of arcadia is vastly improved by the mod that removes random battles on the world map. it lets you actually fly around and explore for more than a minute at a time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

skies of arcadia is vastly improved by the mod that removes random battles on the world map. it lets you actually fly around and explore for more than a minute at a time.

Original or Legends? Because Legends fixes the encounter rate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it still has random battles when it really doesn't need to.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Lufia 2 does the rotating cast thing as well and is certainly in the conversation for best 16-bit JRPG

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, your fourth party member will rotate over the course of the game several times.

Final Fantasy II also has a rotating fourth slot. Which is not ideal considering how the stat growth and magic system in that game works (even in later versions). They dump the final fourth slot into your lap before the final dungeon. Odds are your characters needed some extra practise anyway, but have fun training that blank slate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The “blank slate” has lots of weapon levels though? I mean, he’s gonna suck compared to a trained up party but then your trained up party is probably gonna just gonna go Doomguy on the final dungeon.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
When I did my 2PR run recently I straight up killed them first battle and did the rest of the game with the three I'd had all game.

THEY KNOW WHY.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

With the exception of MOMO every character has development and resolution to their personal struggle that was started all the way back in Episode 1 or maybe 2 for just Jin.

I don't know what more you could want out of any of them.

MOMO's character resolution is learning Ziggy's gut punch attack which is hilarious and amazing

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ace Transmuter posted:

Lufia 2 does the rotating cast thing as well and is certainly in the conversation for best 16-bit JRPG

I'm curious about your case for that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest I care more about Ziggy than any of the plot of Xenosaga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rotating 4th/5th slot JRPGs are neat but a bit different from FF4 I think, where the entire party except cecil swaps around for most of the game, including everyone's favorite part of the game where you're just running around with a bunch of old guys.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

MOMO's character resolution is learning Ziggy's gut punch attack which is hilarious and amazing

It's great in 3 when she can proc Double on it and rack up huge amounts of break meter

also XS3 only has like, two songs that stick out at all and one of them is just a remix of One Who Bares Fangs at God (the other is Godsibb of course). I know a lot of people didn't like Hosoe's work on the in-game stuff in 2 but at least I can remember the standard and ES battle themes, the boss themes and a few area tracks (Labyrinthos, Miltia 15 Years Ago). Kajiura can do good work but..it just isn't here in XS3

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 3, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
And gameplay wise, even Cecil essentially becomes a different party member. The Dark Knight being replaced with a Paladin.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Phantasy Star 1 is pretty unique and worth playing with the quality of life of the AGES port imo. it hits the "explore" part of the brain a lot harder than anything later does.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's great in 3 when she can proc Double on it and rack up huge amounts of break meter

also XS3 only has like, two songs that stick out at all and one of them is just a remix of One Who Bares Fangs at God (the other is Godsibb of course). I know a lot of people didn't like Hosoe's work on the in-game stuff in 2 but at least I can remember the standard and ES battle themes, the boss themes and a few area tracks (Labyrinthos, Miltia 15 Years Ago). Kajiura can do good work but..it just isn't here in XS3

I gotta say, even after a decade-and-a-half of talking about Xenosaga III, "it's soundtrack isn't good" is a new one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWoLHRd8OKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTS0PlaSrlE
(this is definitively better than every other versions and way better than the ones in 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjXBJUxv1Dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IEzkgPIt0c

Sure beats the deafening nothing in every Xenosaga 1 dungeon before the end, or the generic synth of all II tracks save for Labyrinthos which was admittedly good but it's mainly good because it stands out in a sea of total poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well if you bothered to read I didn't say it wasn't good, I said nothing sticks out.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Endorph posted:

rotating 4th/5th slot JRPGs are neat but a bit different from FF4 I think, where the entire party except cecil swaps around for most of the game, including everyone's favorite part of the game where you're just running around with a bunch of old guys.

Yeah, it's this. If it was a modern game the cast might rotate once an act but FF4 completely changes your cast several times an act. It's great.

Also my favorite part is when you have the twins, before Tellah. Also the first trip into the underworld.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

only octopath traveler is brave enough to do this as a modern jrpg

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Trails in the Sky FC does something like that, but it also has a deuteragonist who is in every party, so there’s less variety. I think it’s a great way to handle parties in a JRPG, both from a writing perspective and a mechanical one. It makes character balance mostly unnecessary, too, which is nice; sometimes the guest characters are experts who are superior to the main characters, and sometimes they’re a 12 year old who isn’t as good, but you aren’t forced to compare them to the other characters, so it isn’t a problem and you can still use everybody without sacrificing effectiveness.

Cold Steel 1 does something similar but the parties are too big so it doesn’t work as well.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Erg posted:

only octopath traveler is brave enough to do this as a modern jrpg

Is it? Once you finish everyone's chapter 1 they stick around, and you really only need to change one character slot around to do different stories. If you wanted to play through the entirety of the game with Alfyn, Cyrus, and Tressa with a rotating leader slot, you certainly could.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the opposite of the ff4 style is something like wild arms 3 where its a 4 person party and you have 4 slots in combat, so everyone is in combat at all times and theres no guest party members or swapping anyone in/out. its also a system that allows you to not really worry about balance/focus on characterization through gameplay, which i like. gallows is kind of the worst party member but that makes sense, jet and clive are professionals and virginia has shonen protagonist potential, gallows is just some guy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wild Arms 4 took it even further with Raquel just immediately ending every battle once she gets a turn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not sure how many games do this but I always like backup slots which actual combat significance, like being able to hotswap, or having passive party member buffs

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Original or Legends? Because Legends fixes the encounter rate.
i wouldn't call "making it merely annoying instead of unplayable" a fix

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

the opposite of the ff4 style is something like wild arms 3 where its a 4 person party and you have 4 slots in combat, so everyone is in combat at all times and theres no guest party members or swapping anyone in/out. its also a system that allows you to not really worry about balance/focus on characterization through gameplay, which i like. gallows is kind of the worst party member but that makes sense, jet and clive are professionals and virginia has shonen protagonist potential, gallows is just some guy.

DQ8 does this too but I don't think most DQs do

There's still some potential for customization and party comp strategy though depending on skill builds, eg Jessica can be a pure mage or a whip/magic hybrid

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Skies is always a game that makes me scratch my head. It's a great game... if you remove the combat, the dungeons, and the main plot. Which is most of the game.

Don't get me wrong, the characters ARE fun, when the game actually lets you have a sense of adventure instead of dealing with the main plot and the Empire is neat and really different for the time, and the ship exploration and ship combat is cool... but it's also so little of the game. And the Legends rerelease toned down the random encounters, but didn't do anything to change how vapid the party battles are so most combat still sucks even if you do less of it. It's like built to be one of those games everyone regards more fondly years later then they felt while they play it because it's such a bog standard Gen 6 RPG, yet years later people are all like 'Ay Sega, bring back Skies' like it was some kind of lost franchise instead of one genre-filler game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'm all for pirate RPGs becoming a thing, whether it's sky or otherwise.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
what about space pirate RPG

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the main plot of skies is fine tbh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

There's something really memorable about games sticking to a mostly fixed roster of characters and letting the characters partially characterize through gameplay, yeah. A strong example of this exists in Phantasy Star 4; Chaz and Rune start the game openly detesting each other, but come to respect and rely on each other more and more as the game goes on, which is in turn reflected in the gameplay by the two of them having some of the game's most incredibly powerful combination attacks by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Junpei posted:

what about space pirate RPG

Also great :hai: