Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Scissorfighter posted:

Edit: This time I noticed Jupiter's Claim is covered in images of Jupe as a kid, which ties into Mary-Jo having her child self on a t-shirt. They both latch onto a time before the tragedy destroyed them.

Yeah, there's an interesting thing that happened in production, when Jesse Plemons was set to play Ricky and he was supposedly the star of "Kid Sheriff". When Steven Yeun took over when Plemons, Yeun told Peele that he had a hard time believing that a Korean child actor would be the lead in a '90s kid film, so they went with Ricky playing the character Jupiter and he was a side character in the fictional film, and it was that the "Gordy's Home" incident that skyrocketed him to fame and not "Kid Sheriff", even though it was this grizzly tragedy, and that he's basically been taking over the franchise since then and making that his claim to fame. He's basically rewriting history to avoid "Gordy's Home".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jupe is definitely one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a movie in years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

That jacket is so good. When Jupe turns around and you see the UFO design on it... So good.

Wonder if "cool jacket" was an intentional allusion to the mayor in Jaws?

I loved that jacket because it made me Leo Point in the theater and I started to catch what was going on.

Also speaking of this is badass. Today only I think

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the chimp. And you think if you tame Jean Jacket, you could make them stop, don't you? You think if the audience lives, you won't wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the chimp

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Steve Yun posted:

You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the chimp. And you think if you tame Jean Jacket, you could make them stop, don't you? You think if the audience lives, you won't wake up in the dark ever again to that awful screaming of the chimp

You tell me, man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hear the screaming of that tmz guy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My audience had a hearty laugh about him

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Uhh where’s my camera!! I gotta get my camera!!”

“My bad man”

Lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I appreciate the writing that once the movie has more or less fully revealed what Jean Jacket is and how it works (at least as far as we get to know in the movie) we're given a completely unsympathetic character just so we can fully enjoy the abduction/eating.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

hi, so, i can't imagine there's a huge audience for this particular crossover of interests, but because i have terminal nerd brain, i was compelled to translate jean jacket and all her behaviors into a dungeons & dragons (fifth edition) encounter:

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-N825u51BKF6AB91qU0s

i drew up basically the entire statblock like a few days after i saw it in theaters, but it wasn't until i could pin down the flavor text from repeat viewings (and the scientific paper!) that i felt good about sharing it with others. constructive feedback is welcome ofc, i just hope it's cool and not stupid. or at the very least, cool AND stupid

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

I appreciate the writing that once the movie has more or less fully revealed what Jean Jacket is and how it works (at least as far as we get to know in the movie) we're given a completely unsympathetic character just so we can fully enjoy the abduction/eating.

I wonder how Jordan Peele feels about paparazzi?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Somehow I missed that these were people the first time I saw the film. The sheer terrifying size of JJ is really brought home here.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I saw it again yesterday. I haven't done an in-theatre rewatch in ages! Peele hardly ever introduces imagery or themes that he doesn't return to, reuses and/or expounds upon. It made the rewatch very enjoyable.

We had a nice conversation with a man and his daughter afterwards. They didn't understand the Gordy parts and were curious to hear our thoughts. That's a sign of a good movie, I think — that people are eager to discuss it with complete strangers afterwards.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Somehow I missed that these were people the first time I saw the film. The sheer terrifying size of JJ is really brought home here.

Jupe says that the hole is about the size of two school buses in his spiel at that Star Lasso Experience.

Average length of a school bus is 35 feet/10.6 meters, so JJ's maw is about approximately 70 ft/21.2 meters wide.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/DallasKing1138/status/1566083112429408256?s=20&t=8V6KYZQt-tpM3AQ5ySvJUA

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Young Freud posted:

Jupe says that the hole is about the size of two school buses in his spiel at that Star Lasso Experience.

Average length of a school bus is 35 feet/10.6 meters, so JJ's maw is about approximately 70 ft/21.2 meters wide.

I assumed it was two school buses side-by-side, ie an oval shaped hole, but either way it's a big loving animal

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 4, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What was printed on Jupes flyer that OJ saw in the horseshit?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

massive spider posted:

What was printed on Jupes flyer that OJ saw in the horseshit?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah, that and the prank were invitations. Jupe want him to come, either to complain about his kids or just curiosity, and spring the Star Lasso Experience on him.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's also kind of a "don't waste your time trying to get the video, because I'm going public in 5 days"

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I didn't read any malice in Jupe's actions. I think he wanted OJ to be there to understand why his horses weren't able to be returned in a way that would hopefully not make OJ upset. He didn't even know about the photography scheme. He probably also thought it might help convince them to sell the ranch.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Scissorfighter posted:

I didn't read any malice in Jupe's actions. I think he wanted OJ to be there to understand why his horses weren't able to be returned in a way that would hopefully not make OJ upset.

was sending his kids over to prank OJ in alien outfits part of this plan? pretty sure he was trolling OJ a bit

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I made a joke earlier in the thread about Jupe sending his kids over to prank OJ but honestly I don't even think he did that. I think the kids did that on their own, probably after hearing their parents talk about the statue being stolen. They're just a rowdy buncha kids with access to weird alien costumes in the middle of nowhere and they want to gently caress around but there's literally one other property within walking distance.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think I made a joke earlier in the thread about Jupe sending his kids over to prank OJ but honestly I don't even think he did that. I think the kids did that on their own, probably after hearing their parents talk about the statue being stolen. They're just a rowdy buncha kids with access to weird alien costumes in the middle of nowhere and they want to gently caress around but there's literally one other property within walking distance.

That's how I read it too. I don't think Jupe has any real ill will towards OJ and Em, even if they did "borrow" one of his horse statues. He's got other things on his mind.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

On initial viewing JJ being made out of canvas made me think of a cinema screen. It wants you to look at it but youre absolutely not allowed to take video of it.

IIRC I think the first shot in the film of the old horse rider is viewed transitioning through what’s later revealed to be its maw.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 4, 2022

Lemon
May 22, 2003

If Jupe's plan had gone correctly, he would've likely been the focus of the entire world's media for a period of time. As an ex-star about to be centre stage once again, he was probably feeling magnanimous.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

massive spider posted:

On initial viewing JJ being made out of canvas made me think of a cinema screen. It wants you to look at it but youre absolutely not allowed to take video of it.

IIRC I think the first shot in the film of the old horse rider is viewed transitioning through what’s later revealed to be its maw.

You wouldn’t eat a horse

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Lemon posted:

If Jupe's plan had gone correctly, he would've likely been the focus of the entire world's media for a period of time. As an ex-star about to be centre stage once again, he was probably feeling magnanimous.

That's how I read it. He had a lot going on and most of what we see/hear from him is him swallowing his trauma or practicing for the show. He probably has less than 10 minutes of screentime but his character made a big impact on me. If he's meant to parallel the mayor from Jaws, he is a huge subversion of that trope. Motivated by base desires still (fame this time instead of money,) but he seeks to control/exploit the phenomenon, rather than convince people it doesn't exist. Also, since we see he's repeating the tragedy brought onto him as a child, and likely wouldn't intentionally endanger anyone's life, he becomes far more layered and sympathetic.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You wouldn’t eat a horse

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lemon posted:

It's called Jupiter's Claim because it's his claim to fame

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfaooo

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Solovey posted:

hi, so, i can't imagine there's a huge audience for this particular crossover of interests, but because i have terminal nerd brain, i was compelled to translate jean jacket and all her behaviors into a dungeons & dragons (fifth edition) encounter:

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-N825u51BKF6AB91qU0s

i drew up basically the entire statblock like a few days after i saw it in theaters, but it wasn't until i could pin down the flavor text from repeat viewings (and the scientific paper!) that i felt good about sharing it with others. constructive feedback is welcome ofc, i just hope it's cool and not stupid. or at the very least, cool AND stupid

Awesome work, absolutely terrifying, would rather fight a demon lord than this. Your descriptive text mentions an audible popping sound that accompanies JJ, and that it's for unknown reasons. I wonder if it's to intentionally draw attention and cause prey animals to suddenly stand still and look around for the source. If they correctly locate that it is above them and then turn their eyes skyward to ascertain the potential threat, JJ has them dead to rights; standing still and looking right at up at it. Leads me to ponder whether that might make an interesting ambush mechanic. Characters who don't know what JJ is/don't know what to expect might get idk disadvantage on initiative for succeeding on a Perception check or something. Or maybe it would make more sense for them to be the only valid targets of the ambush cause JJ can't see anyone who doesn't look at it, and any non-lookers would only get sucked up if they were in proximity to lookers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think it has hypnosis powers or anything, it's a wild animal and might view eye contact as a threat. It's not going to trick people into looking at it any more than a gorilla would.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it has hypnosis powers or anything, it's a wild animal and might view eye contact as a threat. It's not going to trick people into looking at it any more than a gorilla would.

All kinds of things in the natural world use this kind of trickery. Anglerfish are an easy one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Scissorfighter posted:

That's how I read it. He had a lot going on and most of what we see/hear from him is him swallowing his trauma or practicing for the show. He probably has less than 10 minutes of screentime but his character made a big impact on me. If he's meant to parallel the mayor from Jaws, he is a huge subversion of that trope. Motivated by base desires still (fame this time instead of money,) but he seeks to control/exploit the phenomenon, rather than convince people it doesn't exist. Also, since we see he's repeating the tragedy brought onto him as a child, and likely wouldn't intentionally endanger anyone's life, he becomes far more layered and sympathetic.

He has the same goals and everything as OJ and Em, with a six month head start. He just doesn't have OJ's experience or respect for animals

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Anglerfish draw prey close, but not looking at an anglerfish isn't going to help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can see that as a concession to gameplay, since as has been discussed, even a decently armed adventuring party would probably figure out how to kill JJ with conventional weapons pretty easily. Cuttlefish also do the mesmerising display thing.

Reminds me a bit back of the fanmade autopsy document- which specifically notes that they didn't recover the 'eye'. And reminded of how one of the crew mentioned they were inspired by the immortal jellyfish...

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

just rewatched and I'm not a photography guy or anything but from my laymen's perspective I don't think I saw anything to indicate Angel had hosed up putting the replacement roll of film into the camera like some people here have been saying

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I believe it is intentionally ambiguous, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They never show him thread the film into the camera, just loading the cartridge with the loose film needed to thread into the camera, they never show enough to say either way.