Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

Honestly at least in limited Shittier Green Gifts Ungiven seems to be less bad than people were saying. "Get the third and fourth best creature in your deck" is perfectly fine and if you get lucky they might misjudge your position.

Sometimes you get lucky and your opponent might think the cards they're selecting are the ones that go in the library. I definitely didn't give anyone their two best creatures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Did anyone manage to work out why some of the mastery track levels are glowing green?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

How do you get the stupid orange light below the decks section of the menu to go away? I can’t figure it out, because I am unsmart

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Went into the set completely blind for commons and uncommons. I am really enjoying just figuring it out by drafting and playing and saying “oh gently caress that deck/card is cool”. have had a lot of success so far with the b/w sac deck. Mana on this was loose and I lost 2 games to it but I went 7 wins on the back of the 7 horses. That card is really good (or is right now before people filter into better drafts/builds)

28-9 so far in the new format

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

Did anyone manage to work out why some of the mastery track levels are glowing green?

I think normally you'd not get anything at those levels, but they're bonus rewards and the green aura represents they're from the Renewal Egg.

Hail Egg

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

thespaceinvader posted:

It’s "renewal season" which means there are more rewards than usual on the mastery track.

edit oh come on

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hail egg I guess.

I was assuming it was some kind of storyline phyrexian nonsense.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hooplah posted:

currently 5-0 with this sealed deck. was initially disappointed in my pool because my rares made me want to go base green with visionary and tatyova, but the support just didn't look like it was there. then i realized how many sick orzhov uncommons i had and built that instead

white has a backbreaking amount of removal. it feels kinda weird to be trying to sac/recur/attrition out my opponent at the same time aron wants me to go wide, but it's been working. mostly win in the air after pumping the team once and enlisting with skyknight

moonwalked my way into an easy 7-0 with this deck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simply Simon posted:

They are asking if you learned anything because you play a lot but it's mostly just resulting in more or less random "this time I won" and "this time I lost" reports. This coupled with you not taking the advice to go on the Discord, stream games, get live advice etc., makes you feel like a fanfiction writer who internalized "practice makes perfect" and proceeds to write 1000 pages of the worst dreck ever put to paper, then when told it's bad goes "guess I didn't write enough words".

We're all assuming you want to improve both your gameplay and your mindset, but that doesn't seem to be your actual priority. It's frustrating to see you beat yourself up again and again because I at least want to see you succeed and also chill out more and have fun with the game.

ok thanks

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Saw someone fly a little too close to the sun today in an early draft when they dropped a turn 2 Stronghold Arena and then on turn 3 cut their life total in half by grabbing a Writhing Necromass off the top.

They managed to stabilize and hold on for a good while after that though, it was impressive.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is that Discord where people will help you draft?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's called Urza's Hot Tub I think, but I can't send invites.

I should actually stream my next one and see how it goes.

I think the thing I'm really figuring out is that the soldier tokens go wide thing needs more than JUST that plus Heroic Charge to work properly.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SalTheBard posted:

What is that Discord where people will help you draft?
It should be linked in the op

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Hooplah posted:

moonwalked my way into an easy 7-0 with this deck

Yeah so far Orzhov feels really good in this set. There’s so many ways to make little token dudes and then you get to either enlist them to slam through or sac them for value. Bone Shards becomes so easy to cast and is such cheap removal.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Simply Simon posted:

It should be linked in the op

I'm sorry. I don't know why I didn't think to check that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My first Ajani sighting, holy poo poo

also blocking is for mathers

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Panderfringe posted:

It's pretty endemic on arena, since other than obnoxious emotes (which can be turned off) is the only way to be salty and do bad manners. But I think this close to a set launch it might be more likely that people are just crashing more often

I've been getting disconnected multiple times per draft. Made it back in time to avoid losing game actions, but the rope was running low each time. I don't think the servers are handling the load gracefully atm.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I heart King Darien

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

First draft

Insanely open Grixis. I'm quite happy with the deck. Still lost the first game (only one so far) because they just had a bit more gas in the tank, key removal and then ultimately won in the air. But the game was fun!

Still open for suggestions of course
So, this went 0-3. I realized that I had made a really big mistake in not putting Sengir Connoisseur in - I was utterly convinced that I had passed it over in the draft, but welp! I didn't! I rectified the mistake for the third match, but that didn't really help.

Trip report: first game was close, but they eventually had more and bigger creatures. Second game I lost to a twincast double discard, stripping all four of my cards in hand. loving brutal. I was hit by that in the next game too, and then they cast Cruelty of Gix. There wasn't much I could do to combat that.

Overall, I'd say the key mistakes of this deck:
- not enough removal, especially considering the colors
- no real plan for the endgame except "fly over I guess", any green deck would have bigger creatures, and white more, any red win too quickly, though that's probably the best matchup
- I probably played my tricks too early, using them to kill early-game creatures, preserving mine, when I should have just traded my trash for theirs and waited patiently for big blowouts with my two Terrors.

Anyway, off to the next!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/26b977bdcd214654b832b76543a75d21

I have a much better feeling about this deck, lots of ways to win late, great amount of removal, high individual creature quality, lots of them too, and some excellent, excellent bombs. I'll have to wait to play this, looking forward to it, though.

EDIT: just realized that I mixed up Grixis and Dimir in my first post

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
That defender draft deck can be a real shitter. I imagine if people aren't fighting for it you can pick up multiple chaplains. Hopefully they adjust the bots before dropping quick draft so it doesn't turn into another eldraine mill format.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/26b977bdcd214654b832b76543a75d21

I have a much better feeling about this deck, lots of ways to win late, great amount of removal, high individual creature quality, lots of them too, and some excellent, excellent bombs. I'll have to wait to play this, looking forward to it, though.

Deck looks great and excited to see you pilot it. My only concern is surviving the early game but I have no idea what I'd cut. Yes Vineshaper and Snarespinner are lower quality cards but they do fill out your 2-drops and will benefit from, and activate, Defiler of Vigor. Having a hard time with determining what I'd cut though, I guess Juniper Order can be played for 2 in a pinch so you're probably fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

That defender draft deck can be a real shitter. I imagine if people aren't fighting for it you can pick up multiple chaplains. Hopefully they adjust the bots before dropping quick draft so it doesn't turn into another eldraine mill format.

People absolutely are not valuing the chaplains highly right now. I have to imagine that changes in the next few days once people start hearing how busted it is from content creators and 17lands. It's currently at 67.1% games in hand win rate on 17lands and 3rd best winrate in the entire format behind only Archangel of Wrath and Sheoldred. My last draft had at least 2 opened in pack 3 going around late but I was too far away from the deck to pivot at that point. Instead I drafted

4-color + a plains for the domain on Nael mostly. Currently 3-0 with it, it has felt pretty good. I'm more impressed with Floriferous Vinewall than I thought I would be; in these decks that really want to get there for so many different colors, I've felt safe keeping a 2 lander with a vinewall knowing I'll be getting my third land guaranteed with an ok chance at it being a color I want at that moment. Tatyova too, I wasn't sure how 'lands past 7' would play out but immediately slamming doing slimefoot's survey for 2 duals after playing her has been game winning.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #9

https://www.17lands.com/draft/628f93102e3e437887a0cfd33923112e

Felt much better to play than the previous one lol, the Tatyova gameplan is pretty straightforward. My takeaways from this one:

1. Based on previous drafts and seeing streamers, I prioritized lands slightly higher than I have been. I didn't pick up any white lands that shared my main colors -- I wouldn't have included a plains just for Tolarian Geyser, but Nael's full domain ability seemed worth it.
2. Sam Black was discussing with his chat how they thought you needed 7 defenders and 2 Chaplains to make defender work but he said it functions fine with much less than that. I thought these walls played well with a grindy gameplan and Academy Wall cracked pretty well with Bulwark. I should have probably played the Trample wurm over the Sentinel though, or probably the Haunting Figment which didn't really fit in with the plan
3. These grindy decks are at risk of decking lol. I was always in the single digits by the end, and I lost against a deck that had full domain Jodah's Codex and was drawing 2 a turn, but all my own looting and draw meant I burned through most of the deck. They stopped drawing and I finally checked to see that I was one card behind and died by decking lol

3-3

Edit: at the risk of jinxing myself, this next draft is starting off well

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 4, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just played my first premier draft in ages; went BRW with some pretty good rares and to my surprise ended up going 6-3. I really enjoy the format so far, so I'm going to use the two other draft tokens I have to do a couple more premier drafts.

It seems like the majority of decks I faced were 4-5 color domain piles. Any tips for drafting that deck type? What kind of mana base do you need to make it viable?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
guy swung in with his defiler of instinct. I didn't want to risk some trample combat trick shenanigans so I blocked with literally everything. he hovered over Shivan Devastator a half dozen times, paused, and conceded.

I have no idea why. he probably had me dead to rights in the next couple turns. What could have been the reason? the only thing I can possibly think of is he had something like Jaya's Firenado that he thought was instant speed so he could pick off the Devastator and First Strike the Wurm, then survive the token pings, but realized too late that it wasn't. I can't think of any other reason they might've conceded in such an advantageous position.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Maybe they had to take a dump and just attacked and quit

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I'll concede games I'm probably technically winning just because I'm bored. Or if I make a blunder and get mad at myself even if it isn't game-losing.

Just like, when it's time to be doing something else I just hit da brix. If I'm x-2 in a draft but the deck is annoying I'll just queue and scoop someone a win. Life's short.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

Sometimes I'll concede games I'm probably technically winning just because I'm bored. Or if I make a blunder and get mad at myself even if it isn't game-losing.

Just like, when it's time to be doing something else I just hit da brix. If I'm x-2 in a draft but the deck is annoying I'll just queue and scoop someone a win. Life's short.

Conceding whenever I don’t feel like playing a game or a deck out has made my Magic experience so much better

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can't believe I won this one, this was another knockdown drag-out brawl

I spent a dozen turns continually sac-scry-drawing frantically searching for my sweeper which lol was basically at the bottom of my deck, all the cards below it were cards I scryed to the bottom and I ended the game with 5 cards in my library. Also I had to make sure I wouldn't die from Sadistic Pilgrim's triggers so when they kept making more soldier tokens I got worried.

The sweeper synergizes incredibly well with Writhing Necromass, immediately rebuild your board with 5 power for B

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Huxley posted:

Agreed with all

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Dominaria United Limited Primer

i'd like to apologize to anyone i misled by suggesting that you would be drafting a "color pair". after my first draft i haven't drafted anything less than three colors

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

i'd like to apologize to anyone i misled by suggesting that you would be drafting a "color pair". after my first draft i haven't drafted anything less than three colors

You want to be in 2 colours with a splash for kicker costs? That's what felt good for me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually 2 colours is cool and good too

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

You want to be in 2 colours with a splash for kicker costs? That's what felt good for me.

most of my opponents have been 3-5 colors

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
green ftw

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My most aggressive decks have been 2 colors with maybe a splash but you can definitely play two color decks and they are the most winning decks so far. The format definitely gives you the room to be 3+ color if you are able to just keep yourself alive through the early game though

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

most of my opponents have been 3-5 colors

fyi all of these have looked something like this:

this one managed to 3-0. just load your deck with 2-for-1s, high rarity cards, and whatever lands you can get your hands on

maybe in best of one the hand smoother lets aggressive two color decks get underneath their opponent but all of my losses in best of three are vs better multicolor greed decks or u/r spells

wei
Jul 27, 2006
You can definitely do slow domain stuff in Bo1, these decks went 7-1 and 6-3 respectively. Not sure why 17lands registers the second as 1-3 but if you click through to Details it should show the correct record.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/43821ebc34fc4e9c933c760cab31cc33
https://www.17lands.com/deck/b172f7aca7634445a8d03251e4ea5d17

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

little munchkin posted:

fyi all of these have looked something like this:

what the hell is this crap. and how come when I do it I get smushed???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do not care if micromancer ends up being the #1 best card in DMU somehow, my brain’s wired to tell me that card is stone unplayable and I will never ever play it.