Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah I'm guessing that the Aerial is going to show up as a renovated lfrith just to try and mask what it really is. At least superficially it'll work until Eri gets back into it and someone links the perm ID to the same unknown signal from over a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

witch from mercury is secretly the gundam sentinel adaptation???????????????????????????????????

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah I'm guessing that the Aerial is going to show up as a renovated lfrith just to try and mask what it really is. At least superficially it'll work until Eri gets back into it and someone links the perm ID to the same unknown signal from over a decade ago.

It's specifically the Gundam Aerial and it's being tested by a major megacorp, so someone's presumably trying to bring back GUND tech in a public, highly visible way. I suspect any elements of subterfuge will be in them pretending it's an all-new project with no ties to previous, disgraced attempts (or, perhaps more significantly, to Earther nationalists).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

It's specifically the Gundam Aerial and it's being tested by a major megacorp, so someone's presumably trying to bring back GUND tech in a public, highly visible way. I suspect any elements of subterfuge will be in them pretending it's an all-new project with no ties to previous, disgraced attempts (or, perhaps more significantly, to Earther nationalists).

I suspect despite the offical story Aerial is Lfrith with a paint job.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The protagonist's name is a pseudonym in the series, so that seems likely.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I suspect despite the offical story Aerial is Lfrith with a paint job.

If you look at them side-by-side I think the torso and head might be the same (or at least derived from the Lfrith), but the limbs are completely different. Probably retained enough for the core GUND system as a starting point on the Aerial Gundam perhaps?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ten years of development and a cosmetic upgrade/disguise.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jackhunter64 posted:

I need to go back to listen more carefully but how is 'Lfrith' meant to be pronounced?

The kana spelling on it is "ルブリス" so they're saying something like "ruburisu".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/llefrith

https://forvo.com/word/llefrith/

That's my guess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty confident neither the Japanese or English audio will pronounce it properly unless Ericht/Suletta gets a Welsh actor voicing her.

Which I'd be down for. Fewer generic English accents let's get creative with everyone in space and on earth sounding different.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 2, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

witch from mercury is secretly the gundam sentinel adaptation???????????????????????????????????

The two stories barely share anything in common so far as we know beyond the possible involvement of an AI in the primary Gundam though, and even then that's only a possibility in the case of Witch from Mercury for now. They do also both have the mother working on the Gundam, but even that's probably more coincidental than anything, since there's only two possible parental choices if you're going with parents. It wouldn't even be the only other Gundam work to go with the mother being the one involved in the development of the Gundam because of a military contract after initially developing her work for civilian use to help people for medical reasons; since that describes Seabook's mom in Gundam F91 too.

I very much doubt Ericht/Suletta will be similar to Ryu Roots either, and the story has no real similarity at least in what we know to the New Desides conflict in Gundam Sentinel either.

I've just being pronouncing it either "L-free-th" or "If-reet" interchangeably. I'm aware they're probably wrong, but it's what's stuck in my head now, so it's there at least until I start hearing a correct pronunciation regularly in the show.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm pretty confident neither the Japanese or English audio will pronounce it properly unless Ericht/Suletta gets a Welsh actor voicing her.

Which I'd be down for. Fewer generic English accents let's get creative with everyone in space and on earth sounding different.

Absolutely yes and also make the opening theme a Joy Formidable song.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Soft Gundam.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
There's no way the ex military guy isn't just wiping out the competition and going full force himself into developing the tech.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well he already has tech that can disable the neural interface. So perhaps he takes the GUND technology to monopolize it and then uses his killswitch disabling technology to keep his clients in line.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

[EDIT] you know what i shouldn't talk about a show i've only seen while very intoxicated, i may have entirely misread something

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 4, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's a new trailer up for Witch from Mercury:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBjzNiGSC3A

It's not what I expected, though not in a bad way. I guess between the shots of Suletta looking stoic in character design stuff, and the tone and events of the prologue I expected that she'd be a rather emotionless character, at least publicly/superficially, but she's openly emotive throughout the trailer so that's definitely not the case. I like that we get shots of what is presumably an O'Neill colony at the start too, since it implies the school the show takes place in is part of said colony and that we'll get some slice of life inside a space colony stuff. Which is always fun, but usually pretty sparse in Gundam. Most shows only have a handful of episodes where the cast spend extended time in a colony, so having a chunk of the show set in one could be interesting.

We also get our first look at what may be the show's Char:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...remiere/.189313

Yōhei Azakami as Guel Jeturk
Natsuki Hanae as Elan Ceres
Makoto Furukawa as Shaddiq Zenelli
Yume Miyamoto as Nika Nanaura
Miyu Tomita as Chuatury Panlunch

It's weird that the text in the trailer is in English but they don't have subs on the trailer yet

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 4, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wonder if the show is going to be a redo of second generation Age or Fire Emblem Three Houses where this first season is school stuff and the second half is open war breaking out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I wonder if the show is going to be a redo of second generation Age or Fire Emblem Three Houses where this first season is school stuff and the second half is open war breaking out.

It worked for Re:Rise with the first half being seen as low stakes "just a game" stuff, with the second half dramatically ratcheting the stakes. But that'd be a slow burn for televised Gundam unless they can contrive a way to make the mobile suits part of daily life in the school. (Which it does kinda appear they are?)

It's not a prospect that excites me though. I don't think a Gundam show would benefit from a long stretch of the show being slice-of-life. IBO did good by putting things like the farm or shopping at Saisei (Lafter :() in between the high intensity stuff as a palate cleanser. Turn A is, of course, always the exception to the rule. I don't think Witch is in a position to try and take that crown, but I'm open to surprises.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wondering if Chautay is going to end up in a Beguir since its head matches her stupid hair.

Also everything from the second PV gaves me serious diebuster vibes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping we get an equivalent of a Side 7 attack early on because I don't know if I could handle an entire show of Gundam high school

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Warmachine posted:

It worked for Re:Rise with the first half being seen as low stakes "just a game" stuff, with the second half dramatically ratcheting the stakes. But that'd be a slow burn for televised Gundam unless they can contrive a way to make the mobile suits part of daily life in the school. (Which it does kinda appear they are?)

It's not a prospect that excites me though. I don't think a Gundam show would benefit from a long stretch of the show being slice-of-life. IBO did good by putting things like the farm or shopping at Saisei (Lafter :() in between the high intensity stuff as a palate cleanser. Turn A is, of course, always the exception to the rule. I don't think Witch is in a position to try and take that crown, but I'm open to surprises.

I don't think the raw grim violence of the prologue is setting people up for a fluffy slice of life show, personally. Either the school will be a setting/backdrop to the violence in some way, or the school setting is going to get upset relatively quickly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If there's anything I want from a new gundam, it's having its identity paved over by UC callbacks as quickly as possible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motto posted:

If there's anything I want from a new gundam, it's having its identity paved over by UC callbacks as quickly as possible.

Good you're learning.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

I don't think the raw grim violence of the prologue is setting people up for a fluffy slice of life show, personally. Either the school will be a setting/backdrop to the violence in some way, or the school setting is going to get upset relatively quickly.

No evidence, etc, but my theory is it's a happy time at school, but the tech development's going into brutal warfare. That cool new weapon/strategy that won a tournament arc? Now subjugating thousands on the new mass-produced war machine on the news in the background, that sort of thing.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Uh, no. Ifrith is a girl and Ariel is BLUE.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wondering if Chautay is going to end up in a Beguir since its head matches her stupid hair.

Also everything from the second PV gaves me serious diebuster vibes.

So checking the profiles for the two new members of the cast.

Nika Nanaura posted:

A second-year student in the mechanical department, who belongs to Earth House. She loves mecha, and is very curious about Suletta's Gundam Aerial. Nika has outstanding maintenance skills, and is proud of herself for customizing Chuchu's Demi Trainer.

Chuatury Panlunch posted:

A first-year student in the piloting department, who belongs to Earth House. She is nicknamed "Chuchu." She hates the Spacians who discriminate against Earthians, and often gets into fights. Chuchu pilots a unique restored older-generation Demi Trainer.

From the sound of it Chuchu won’t have access to the Beguir as that’s a rival Grassley House Suit.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I have had Chuchu for 0 seconds and she is already my favorite character.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That is a very big gun for such a skinny-looking MS. I approve.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh wow they have Harry Potter Houses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

^ Harry Potter did not invent school houses

Do they call her Chuchu because her hair looks like mouse ears

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chuatury Panlunch has both one of the most impressively stupid names and impressively stupid haircuts in Gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I guess the custom Demi Trainer is heavily inspired by the Zaku Sniper, then. That's a fun reinterpretation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh wow they have Harry Potter Houses.

There appears to be at least 4 houses at the school. Three of them are for scions of the three branches of the company (which monopolizes the mobile suit industry) that owns the school. Jeturk House for Jeturk Heavy Machinery, Peil House for Peil Technologies, and Grassley House for Grassley Defence Systems. Guessing Earth House is for non spacian students

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

So checking the profiles for the two new members of the cast.

From the sound of it Chuchu won’t have access to the Beguir as that’s a rival Grassley House Suit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

In space, every house is Robot House.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Chuatury Panlunch has both one of the most impressively stupid names and impressively stupid haircuts in Gundam

Two negatives make a positive :smug:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

panlunch...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wanna see chuchu knock someone the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wanna see chuchu knock someone the gently caress out

That hair absolutely could. It's wonderful. The buns are bigger than her head. :allears: