Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

God why are all our lady PMs such loving disasters, can we not elect one semi-useful woman one time

Because you have to be more vicious than a honey badger to even get to the top in one party.
And that same party will complain that you are too sexy and distracting for them if you are on the other party.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bessantj posted:

Oh academic books I get being expensive, but this is a half arsed crime fiction book by the author of Harry Potter. The fact that it's over 1,000 pages should mean a deep discount.

Publishers put out hardbacks early, have the jacket price at £20-25 & then they are sold by shops at usually £10-15 with a big fat £10 off sticker which makes you think you're getting a bargain so you better buy it!

Source: me, I buy my mam the new Ian Rankin novel every year for her birthday as they usually come out about a month before her birthday and I've never paid listed price for them, even when it came signed. It's a stupid marketing trick but it must work.

This isn't a recent development, and very few people actually buy the thing at £25.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

The Albatruss

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

drafting FOI request on how much we're going to pay for the inevitable Vogue shoot for this vapid gently caress

Can't wait until the vacant minded Labour inherits this mess with Sir Mop at the helm - just ensuring another 4 loving decades of Tory rule.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 5, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

All of these look more prime ministerial than Boris Johnson ever was.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

im still increasingly tensely insisting this is funny after i lathe of heaven'd PM truss

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao imagine travelling back in time and telling this thread liz truss would be pm

(Necrothatcher going into their time travelling phonebooth.)
I can't believe I got to go back in time and blow the minds on everyone on the UK Mega Thread by telling them how Liz Truss would be Prime Minsiter in two years time.
(Phonebooth starts to time travel.)
Oh wait...maybe I should have also mentioned something about the invasion of Ukraine. Too late.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I can't even cope with watching the BBC News special on Liz Truss's regime just now.
Every time I switch on BBC it somehow always gets worse, the amount of Boris ARSELICKING man. Absolute monsters.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Question IRL posted:

(Necrothatcher going into their time travelling phonebooth.)
I can't believe I got to go back in time and blow the minds on everyone on the UK Mega Thread by telling them how Liz Truss would be Prime Minsiter in two years time.
(Phonebooth starts to time travel.)
Oh wait...maybe I should have also mentioned something about the invasion of Ukraine. Too late.

*Necro gets back to 2022*
OH gently caress I DEFINITELY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THE PANDEMIC

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I appreciated that early in her victory speech Truss thanked Boris Johnson for crushing Jeremy Corbyn.

These cunts really cannot let it go.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1566779481754329092

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I put 100 bucks on the dumbest possible option winning the competition and somehow I only won a total of 150 bucks off the bet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When the worst move, the dumbest move, and the move you must make are the same.

https://twitter.com/artandacutecat/status/1566726473217703936

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Publishers put out hardbacks early, have the jacket price at £20-25 & then they are sold by shops at usually £10-15 with a big fat £10 off sticker which makes you think you're getting a bargain so you better buy it!

Source: me, I buy my mam the new Ian Rankin novel every year for her birthday as they usually come out about a month before her birthday and I've never paid listed price for them, even when it came signed. It's a stupid marketing trick but it must work.

This isn't a recent development, and very few people actually buy the thing at £25.

Sneaky bastards!

I just had to drop £330 at the dentist. I think I've said about this before but I worry about how people are going to afford dental care with this Cost of Living crisis. What the hell disabled people are going to do I don't know.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Checked out the price of her book on Amazon.
The hardback is CHEAPER than it is on Kindle and on Paperback.
The paperback is 5 quid dearer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

What we otherwise call Sophie's choice.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bessantj posted:

What the hell disabled people are going to do I don't know.

The Plan is for them to die and stop being a drain on our public finances, so we can keep giving them to those who really deserve them, like friends of the Conservative party and the shareholders of the various companies they represent.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Plan also applies to as many of us as can be spared without it becoming too inconvenient to walk around the bodies.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Jolly_Jack/status/1566774396311724033

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

Checked out the price of her book on Amazon.
The hardback is CHEAPER than it is on Kindle and on Paperback.
The paperback is 5 quid dearer.

I really hate hardbacks. So poo poo for reading on the go. Or for that matter even for reading in bed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hardbacks are nice to have on your shelf or feel in your meaty hands, but they're not great to read.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Guavanaut posted:

The key aspect of Zugzwang, at least in chess, is that if you didn't move you would be fine but any move you do make is a losing one. In this case no move at all is leaving Johnson in charge, which is also a terrible.

No Zugzwang here!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

I really hate hardbacks. So poo poo for reading on the go. Or for that matter even for reading in bed.

stev posted:

Hardbacks are nice to have on your shelf or feel in your meaty hands, but they're not great to read.

Still, they would be the hardest of them to get to you, transport costs and such.
Yet they are cheaper than the loving electronic version.
Man Amazon certainly know how to rip off people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine paying anything for a thousand page hardback book of fake twitter arguments that a terf had in the shower.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flayer posted:

No Zugzwang

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's a shame there's so many good sketches in Mitchell and Webb because now even though the reference comes so naturally I have to then think about what a oval office Webb is.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

happyhippy posted:

Still, they would be the hardest of them to get to you, transport costs and such.

There is a vast market of wealthy people who will happily pay extra for the convenience of storing their 1200 page copy of Jo Rowlings Mental Breakdown on their electronic device so it doesn't burden their bags on the way to the beach.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hahahahahahahhahahahaha

aaaaaahahahahhahaha

lol

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
99.98% of the UK population didn't vote for her. Reminds me the episode of Blackadder,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEMRXI3sRs

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

If you have a TV licence you're a scab

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

happyhippy posted:

I mean, I agree gently caress Amazon but in this case, it'll surely be set by the publishers.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1566752604222267397?s=20&t=RoVCSDsomjDKAhb28JlQHw

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

thread, I am not from the UK, so how should i feel about her? on a scale of boris to rubbish - where to place??

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She's in the running for the most vacant, empty-headed politicians in the world

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
She'll probably be the shortest serving PM so at least there's that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Paranoid Peanut posted:

thread, I am not from the UK, so how should i feel about her? on a scale of boris to rubbish - where to place??

She has never opened her mouth and not humiliated herself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol missed this over the weekend https://twitter.com/NeilMackay/status/1565700768484757504

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1566828979398508546?s=21

Priti patel gone swings n roundabouts innit

I welcome our new Home Dictator Braverman

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I know the Trusspocalypse is going on but yeah that's how much hardback books are now. You can get paperbacks that cost 20 quid if you are into history.

Tbf specifically-academic books have always been expensive as gently caress (like up to 100 quid) because the audience is small and it's mostly institutions not people buying off their own bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's the cost of the standing charge? Disgraceful.