Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Payndz posted:

Also, for the first time ever the Prime Minister is younger than me, so I can turn my age-related despair up another notch.

She is still older than me (by 2 years!) thank gently caress.

Edit: 18. Thread's old enough to drink now and after the last few days^Wweeks^Wmonths^Wyears I'm sure it wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Coalville MP Andrew Bridgen (Con, Leics NW) is branded "dishonest" by a judge, ordered to pay £800,000, and evicted from his luxurious country home after a dispute involving his family potato business.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Good news everybody, Priti Patel is resigning.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bad news pals, Suella Braverman is to be Home Secretary.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

That's the cost of the standing charge? Disgraceful.

Is the standing charge actually going up? Why? Is it greed, it's greed isn't it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Paranoid Peanut posted:

thread, I am not from the UK, so how should i feel about her? on a scale of boris to rubbish - where to place??

Depends what you care about? I mean, if you're a rich corporate raider type then it's probably about to be a good time to "invest" in Britain, ie to make off with the family silver.

If you have any empathy it is bad, but the saving grace of Boris was he was spectacularly lazy. A total oval office, but if he was really motivated he could've done worse. Well, Truss is motivated to do worse. Also Britain is just generally in a shitter place than it was in 2019 so things are going to get a lot worse regardless of which Tory shite is PM.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Microplastics posted:

They have to cover the costs of heating their offices.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to buy a rotten burg.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Good news everybody, Priti Patel is resigning.

Can’t help but think this is going to be a case of staying out of trouble and heckling in the background until Johnson swans back in…

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Coalville MP Andrew Bridgen (Con, Leics NW) is branded "dishonest" by a judge, ordered to pay £800,000, and evicted from his luxurious country home after a dispute involving his family potato business.

This is a hearty lol

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fun fact: the "Zug" from Zugzwang means move, as in a chess move, but also means train (both related to English "tug"). So it could also mean forcing trains on people, which is relevant to this thread's interests.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
why is philomena cunk PM of UK of britane and ingurland

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paranoid Peanut posted:

thread, I am not from the UK, so how should i feel about her? on a scale of boris to rubbish - where to place??

I am genuinely not sure if there is a more incompetent yet also malicious politician out there.

Like she might genuinely be in the running for causing mass death the way you normally have to have Very Big Ideas About How Agriculture Works to achieve. Except she has Very Big Ideas About How Thermodynamics Works.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
let's face it nobody else really wanted to be in charge of this utter shitshow lol

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

keep punching joe posted:

Bad news pals, Suella Braverman is to be Home Secretary.

Looking forward to her discovery that it is not - yet - legal to deport trans people to Rockall

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

bessantj posted:

That's the cost of the standing charge? Disgraceful.

This reminds me that I keep getting letters from Scottish Energy addressed to VACANT VACANT and telling me my prepaid meter needs money.

I've been paying direct debit to a different huge provider for a long time - ever since I moved in - and have only a standard non-smart non-prepaid meter. Also my name is not VACANT VACANT.

I didn't really care about it much to be honest thinking it's a scam, but maybe it's a different scam of some kind where they are trying to pin a balance on me somehow for someone. Who knows. I know the previous tenant had the same DD provider too.

Their support lines are utterly hosed so I can't be bothered to care.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

This is a hearty lol
Love to be called lazy and lacking ambition by the sorts of people who can't do a job that involves attending a two hour meeting about potatoes once a month for £93,000pa without loving up so badly that they lose their house.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Microplastics posted:

According to the Ofgem models from their website, the nil kWh GB average gas standing charge for a pre-payment meter has gone from £136.08/year to £136.91/year, an increase of, uh, 83 pence per year.

Source:
Old tariff cap: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/default-tariff-cap-level-1-april-2022-30-september-2022 Model v1.10
New tariff cap: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/default-tariff-cap-level-1-october-2022-31-december-2022 Model v1.13

In each case, you want sheet "1a Default tarrif cap", cell G71

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i don't know why we don't power the country w/ the hot air that all these polticians produce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :newlol:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

feedmegin posted:

Tbf specifically-academic books have always been expensive as gently caress (like up to 100 quid) because the audience is small and it's mostly institutions not people buying off their own bat.

Oh sure but I'm talking pop history stuff that you find in Waterstones on the tables at the front.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it rules that they wont call an election for two more yeara. democracy lol

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kieth and Liz sitting in a tree
K.I.S.S.I.N.G.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1566838480814104582

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Oh did they hire Joe Lycett to write for him?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Paranoid Peanut posted:

She's hands down, bar none, the funniest possible loving PM we could have. It's like Mr Bean becoming PM in a dark reboot

There isn't really a US equivalent I can think of, her only claim to fame is being really stupid and she handily won the leadership contest against some of the vilest egotists in the UK

Unfortunately were probably gonna find out she's also in that category but oh well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

There isn't really a US equivalent I can think of, her only claim to fame is being really stupid and she handily won the leadership contest against some of the vilest egotists in the UK

marjorie taylor green seems similar, in that she appears to be monumentally thick and also extremely malicious in an unpleasantly happy way.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bump_fn posted:

it rules that they wont call an election for two more yeara. democracy lol

The third PM in row who haven't been elected to N:o 10 but chosen by Tories to replace the last guy who resigned in shame! The previous guy who became the PM by rising from opposition to win a general election was Tony loving Blair in 1997. That was 25 years ago.

How the hell is Britain this bad at letting the people choose their overlords??? Yes, monarchy, I know...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, they do consistently choose the general flavour of poo poo, it's not like all of this happens behind closed doors, you know what you're getting with the tories, but a lot of people seemingly want that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nenonen posted:

The third PM in row who haven't been elected to N:o 10 but chosen by Tories to replace the last guy who resigned in shame! The previous guy who became the PM by rising from opposition to win a general election was Tony loving Blair in 1997. That was 25 years ago.

I know we'd all like to forget David Cameron, but come on.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

evilmiera posted:

I put 100 bucks on the dumbest possible option winning the competition and somehow I only won a total of 150 bucks off the bet.

Odds aren't great when there's two runners and one spaffed his chance entirely

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jedit posted:

I knew it, but then I remembered Gordon Brown and got so angry.

So one time in 25 years!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I see a big future for twitter memes of Liz truss reacting to that presenter that collapsed in response to all the calamities that befall her for however long she lasts.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is liz truss being PM when the queen dies funnier than if it had been boris

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Queen's death is both objectively and subjectively funny. PM not required.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

I knew it, but then I remembered Gordon Brown and got so angry.

So one time in 25 years!

Most of Johnson’s premiership took place after he/the Tories won a landslide election victory.

Really I’d say only Brown and debatably May really never had an electoral mandate during their premierships.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was tempted to suggest we up sticks and move back to Hamburg recently. Then i saw the property prices.

269k for an attic apartment right by the airport? With no bathroom.

How about 229k for a 0 bedroom (??!) 1 bathroom place even further out.

Or the crowning glory. A 0 bedroom 0 bathroom place (is it a cupboard?) on the 4th floor (remember, no elevators or ac) in the attic for 279k! But you get partial use of the neighbouring attic space for storage. Yay.

I'm gonna just move to chile or something I think.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Diet Crack posted:

The Queen's death is both objectively and subjectively funny. PM not required.

As a loyal subject I beg to differ.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jedit posted:

I suppose you could argue he didn’t ‘win’ the 2010 election since they didn’t have a majority (and the subsequent election it wasn’t from opposition)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, they do consistently choose the general flavour of poo poo, it's not like all of this happens behind closed doors, you know what you're getting with the tories, but a lot of people seemingly want that.

Yeah, it's the same thing that always happens in Canada, you have people upset about the leadership contest results and it always sounds like "well, yes, I know I wanted a venal loving moron, but that venal loving moron isn't quite to my taste, I'm outraged!"

No tories are so different from one another that you can really say the voters were sold a false bill of goods if you swap one prick for the other prick.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
in retrospect, priti patel's resignation letter was a masterclass in subtlety
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1566845071978336257?cxt=HHwWgsC41dPSxr4rAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/lizzietweeter/status/1566756032650559489

Alas we're about to speed run some Dunning Kruger.