Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is the game set to full screen? Try cycling that through to see if it changes things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I broke down and opened mine up to investigate the spring noise in the left trigger. Turns out the spring on that side seemed to be not as pushed down on the little plastic nub as the one on the right trigger and it was catching on the tip and making the noise. I twisted it around a little with my fingers and it stopped making the noise but not sure if it will come back after use. After seeing what the issue was I’m not worried about it, doesn’t seem like it would be anything that could cause any real damage.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

My windows desktop has all the emulators and roms running out of an MS OneDrive account. So if I were to launch a game out of snes9x or EmuHawk it'll download the rom from onedrive and run it, and any savestates, save ram and settings (I've been mapping controller buttons since 1997 on Nesticle, I don't wanna do that anymore)that come with it are automatically restored and backed up. I can come back to a game after a year on a different PC and lose motivation.
Anyway, it'd be nice to get that same experience on the steamdeck without booting windows.

Check out rclone on Linux. It let’s you interact with various cloud providers in a lot of different way. There’s a stand-alone binary for it so you need to disable the read only mode to get it from pacman or anything.

I have a script that syncs my EmuDeck saves to OneDrive once a day using a systemd timer. The first time I wake the steam deck every day it runs this, and you can tweak the schedule however you want. You can also just mount your OneDrive to a folder for a windows like experience, but I’m not entirely sure how that works offline, you might have to experiment with it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So does the steam deck controller layout not let you name the buttons like it can in regular steam controller layout?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

So does the steam deck controller layout not let you name the buttons like it can in regular steam controller layout?
The Steam Deck control config menu is missing a lot of stuff from the old UI sadly. No naming or button icons, binding one input to multiple inputs is a lot more annoying, no mode shift which I don't give a poo poo about but every thread on the Steam Deck forums is people begging for it back. Almost none of the help text made it over which is the craziest one of all imo because a lot of the options are fairly cryptic if you don't know what they do and the old UI explained all of them. It's one of the few negative feelings I have about this thing and I sincerely hope they fix this poo poo before they refresh big picture mode on desktop and replace it with the Deck UI.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 5, 2022

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

great news everyone, Picross 3D works very well on the deck

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody tried adding Super Resolution 2.0 mods to any of their games?

The results seem pretty impressive:
Cyberpunk 2077 mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3001?tab=description

RDR2 mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/1550

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
What’s the best way of playing DOOM and WADs on this thing? I see GZDoom is in the discover store but I couldn’t really figure out the best way to get it to control.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

homeless snail posted:

The Steam Deck control config menu is missing a lot of stuff from the old UI sadly. No naming or button icons, binding one input to multiple inputs is a lot more annoying, no mode shift which I don't give a poo poo about but every thread on the Steam Deck forums is people begging for it back. Almost none of the help text made it over which is the craziest one of all imo because a lot of the options are fairly cryptic if you don't know what they do and the old UI explained all of them. It's one of the few negative feelings I have about this thing and I sincerely hope they fix this poo poo before they refresh big picture mode on desktop and replace it with the Deck UI.

It's missing Modeshifting and stuff too. It will take Steam Controller modeshift containing premade configs but you can't actually set them up or edit them.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
my preorder is finally come around, and I see people are talking up the JSAUX dock.. is there an accessories roundup of other things I should grab?

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What’s the best way of playing DOOM and WADs on this thing? I see GZDoom is in the discover store but I couldn’t really figure out the best way to get it to control.

I added GZDoom as a non-Steam game, then used one of the community bindings. It works well in Gaming mode for me, but I haven't yet set it up for the controls to work on Desktop mode. If you prefer to run it in Desktop I think there are a couple Youtube videos out there that show how to do just that, as well as add Brutal Doom mods / mod managers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had to make my own profile for GZDoom because the community ones were ridiculous but you don’t have to do anything complicated. Just make sure you have a trackpad mouse and/or trackpad set up as arrow keys to navigate the menus.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Anti-Bunny posted:

my preorder is finally come around, and I see people are talking up the JSAUX dock.. is there an accessories roundup of other things I should grab?

Just be aware of the shipping time on the JSAUX docking stations. I ordered mine on 8/15, and it looks like it's finally arriving tomorrow. So it's not AliExpress/dhgate shipping times, but probably longer than you're used to.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I had to make my own profile for GZDoom because the community ones were ridiculous but you don’t have to do anything complicated. Just make sure you have a trackpad mouse and/or trackpad set up as arrow keys to navigate the menus.

I'm using the 'GZDoom Basic with Gyro (Modern WASD)' profile, everything works well with that except I toned down the gyro sensitivity to 7. It sets the right trackpad to act as a mouse, and I can't remember but I think I had to navigate with that to the 'Enable controller support' option within GZDoom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Thanks everyone!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dunno if this is just specific to trails in the sky 3rd but whenever I suspend it has to sync up with steam cloud first before actually shutting off, and when i resume it has to sync again. not a huge issue but hopefully doesn't create problems if i were to ever play offline and try to suspend/resume

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Got my email!

I'm on work travel in Japan so I had to tunnel my traffic back to the US before Steam would let me complete the purchase. When I initially logged in from the hotel wifi, the "complete purchase" button was visible but disabled. If you're going to be out of the country when your email comes in, make sure you have a VPN or something ready!

Now I'm kinda hoping it takes them at least a week to get it to me so I'll be home to receive it...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tithin posted:

Dusk was just deck verified
They updated the Linux version to fix the controller issues (triggers not recognized, d-pad wrong orientation). The Proton version always worked well, but now this saves a few GB.

Saves are compatible between the Linux native and Proton versions so it's an easy change.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is Hrot working yet? Last time I tried it got single-digit FPS for whatever reason.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

slagmatic posted:

I added GZDoom as a non-Steam game, then used one of the community bindings. It works well in Gaming mode for me, but I haven't yet set it up for the controls to work on Desktop mode. If you prefer to run it in Desktop I think there are a couple Youtube videos out there that show how to do just that, as well as add Brutal Doom mods / mod managers.

is gaming mode like big picture mode? why would controls work differently between them?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is one of my favourite games, and unfortunately on the Steam Deck it has no music.

I've tried it with the different Proton versions, and also recently added and tried Proton GE as well.

What else can I try for compatibility options? What are the best resources to start digging through? I don't want to bug the developer unless there's no other option.. ("hi you might not have a steam deck yet but can you please debug your 10 year old game for me? :D")

SAWA is an XNA 4.0 game, and from what I can tell there are other XNA games in protondb where the music definitely works - but maybe i could force-install a runtime or something?

Any ideas appreciated!

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 6, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Has anybody tried adding Super Resolution 2.0 mods to any of their games?

The results seem pretty impressive:
Cyberpunk 2077 mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3001?tab=description

RDR2 mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/1550

Yeah has anyone tried this out? I’m not sure how well it would work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Snackmar posted:

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is one of my favourite games, and unfortunately on the Steam Deck it has no music.

I've tried it with the different Proton versions, and also recently added and tried Proton GE as well.

What else can I try for compatibility options? What are the best resources to start digging through? I don't want to bug the developer unless there's no other option.. ("hi you might not have a steam deck yet but can you please debug your 10 year old game for me? :D")

SAWA is an XNA 4.0 game, and from what I can tell there are other XNA games in protondb where the music definitely works - but maybe i could force-install a runtime or something?

Any ideas appreciated!

Try using protontricks to install Media Foundation.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else have a joystick that feels different from the other one? My left joystick seems to rub slightly when pushed all the way up and it has an almost gritty feel when doing circles with it. It works fine! Just feels off. The right stick feels like butter.

It only feels that way because it's wearing out. I noticed this too, if you look around the lip of the left stick you'll probably notice a ring of grey plastic or something. This is because the inner part of the stick is rubbing on the edges as you move the stick around the ring. If you look under the stick you'll probably see flat areas where you smash the stick into the edge for certain actions. Usually the top of the stick if you play a lot of 3D stuff. The right stick isn't used as much and doesn't see as much wear unless you're playing a lot of twin stick shooter things and FPS titles, but play with it enough and I guarantee you'll see the same thing start happening. This used to happen to GameCube joysticks a lot too, but they wouldn't feel gritty like the Steam Deck sticks.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hohoho my deck just shipped this morning, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this finally

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I tried Cyberpunk and it didn’t go well. The intro audio was doubled over my Bluetooth headphones, but things worked ok and decently smoothly on the new game start.

Then it prompted me to go into photo mode, which I did. Photo mode flashed up after several/five seconds of waiting, and then it crashed back to the Steam UI with the fan screaming and no response at all to any input. Had to forcibly power it down.

Oh well.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you can rename bindings in the Game Mode UI. The only things I've found that are missing like you said is mode switching (dont care)

Multibutton can be done through subcommands and the regular Steam controller UI is available in Desktop mode for the few things that are missing.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just got to order my Steam Deck! Any games that work great on it that don't work with traditional controllers? I heard that Stellaris actually worked fairly well, for example.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it true that the new 2K launcher requirement borks the Bioshock games (remasters and Infinite) on the Deck?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

Rinkles posted:

Is it true that the new 2K launcher requirement borks the Bioshock games (remasters and Infinite) on the Deck?

Yep, you have to do some fuckery to get them working now but it's not impossible. Lots of guides on Reddit for it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It is ultimately up to Valve to have Proton work seamlessly, but 2K could at least test their software to make sure it doesn't break on Proton before pushing updates out. They have the resources, so it feels like a choice that they are not.

Getting conspiratorial, 2K have often liked to double dip their big AAA releases by dragging out PC release dates. Maybe they see what Valve are doing as a threat to that?

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 6, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SCheeseman posted:

It is ultimately up to Valve to have Proton work seamlessly, but 2K could at least test their software to make sure it doesn't break on Proton before pushing updates out. They have the resources, so it feels like a choice that they are not.

Getting conspiratorial, 2K have often liked to double dip their big AAA releases by dragging out PC release dates. Maybe they see what Valve are doing as a threat to that?

Never attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can anyone help me getting Mods/WADs set up on GZDoom via ZDL on the Steam Deck? I'm fairly sure I'm making some really minor mistake here:

I've added my Doom 2 IWAD and now I'm trying to get Thatcher's Techbase working but whenever I run GZDoom it's just starting into stock DOOM 2:

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Any games that work great on it that don't work with traditional controllers?
Every KB+M shooter. Setup your Steam Inputs so that left-stick does WASD with an inverse-shift on the outer ring and you can actually get a pretty decent approximation of analog movement and the trackpad works really well for aiming.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Snackmar posted:

Any ideas appreciated!

Most likely installing native xaudio2 will fix this. I don't know what the latest hotness is for that, probably protontricks. There is a process in place to get these working without user intervention, but it's not seamless.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I spent my weekend getting Dolphin and PrimeHack running the way I want, and it's surprisingly flawless. I haven't been this excited to play a Nintendo game (MPT) in a decade. The alleged MP1 remake has to be seriously good to actually top this.

Also to think I bought MPT on a whim when Best Buy suddenly clearanced it for $20 after only being out a couple of months*, and my strange history with it in particular. The first time I played it was on my Wii on a SD CRT. Now I'm playing literally the same copy of the same game on a HD handheld.

* I would've bought it right away except I already owned the earlier iterations of all three titles individually.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I spent my weekend getting Dolphin and PrimeHack running the way I want, and it's surprisingly flawless.

Is that easy enough?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Every KB+M shooter. Setup your Steam Inputs so that left-stick does WASD with an inverse-shift on the outer ring and you can actually get a pretty decent approximation of analog movement and the trackpad works really well for aiming.

Someone earlier posted a setup where how far they held the stick determined how fast the 'keyboard' was rapidly tapping W/A/S/D. Or something like that. Anyone have that on hand?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shoehead posted:

Hohoho my deck just shipped this morning, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this finally

You're gonna love the feeling of playing one of your own games directly on the Deck.

I never get past the tech demo stage and it's still intoxicating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Someone earlier posted a setup where how far they held the stick determined how fast the 'keyboard' was rapidly tapping W/A/S/D. Or something like that. Anyone have that on hand?
You set the stick up as a dpad and then go into the settings and turn on analog emulation.