Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That kind of split keyboard is highly ergonomic, and I know a few people with CTS or other disabilities who swear by them. Seems like a weird thing to get all fake offended by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As humans we're just jealous we only have two hands instead of whatever number of appendages that poster has to run that keyboard and dual-mouse setup.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Now I want to pioneer a double mouselook and mousemovement system for games where the left mouse is WASD and the right mouse is aim.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That kind of split keyboard is highly ergonomic, and I know a few people with CTS or other disabilities who swear by them. Seems like a weird thing to get all fake offended by.

gentle ribbing, bud i don't think anyone is offended. and i have arranged installation for split keyboards for reasonable adjustments and that's not what a split keyboard looks like, lol

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CoolCab posted:

why is there a car key? WHY ARE THERE SEVERAL CAR KEYS

That's really just a practical necessity. You have a pile of keycaps and a keyboard which needs several different sized keys to cover multitude of functions. You probably don't have keys with correct size and function. Like that green 1.25 size Shift-key on the left, which should be a 1.5 like the Tab-key, but that's the best I could do. Or the red champagne glasses on the right, another shift, just didn't have any greens left.

Funny thing, I never use either of those keys. I have Shift on the N and I keys, why would I stretch my pinkies if I want caps. And the 2.0 sized green shift on the left thumb cluster, that's actually Space. Didn't have any better key for that spot.

The car keys in the middle. Surprisingly standard key cap sets don't actually have suitable logos that mean "switch to layer X", so something random goes there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you are a space alien, shine on you crazy diamond

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Some people don't use the numpad, others don't need to car. Perfectly understandable.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Save your breath, the keyboard police are already on their way :colbert:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Saukkis posted:

I've been using the below keyboard since spring, and with the "home row mod" I have really learned to appreciate how little I have to move my fingers around. It actually has made me annoyed about how far I have to move them to reach the numbers. I'm starting to understand the appeal of 40%, if I just had the brain capacity. Of course I could simulate a 40% on my keyboard and I have considered adding numbers to the "QWERTY" row. But even if I have gotten the hang of my current layout I would have throw away much of the training and start from scratch.
Honestly it's time for you to take your keyboard journey to its logical conclusion https://bastardkb.com/

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
saukkis sits down to post:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It's too late, the keyboard is in control

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Saukkis posted:

I've been using the below keyboard since spring, and with the "home row mod" I have really learned to appreciate how little I have to move my fingers around. It actually has made me annoyed about how far I have to move them to reach the numbers. I'm starting to understand the appeal of 40%, if I just had the brain capacity. Of course I could simulate a 40% on my keyboard and I have considered adding numbers to the "QWERTY" row. But even if I have gotten the hang of my current layout I would have throw away much of the training and start from scratch.

People keep glamouring for numpad and of course I have it. Just press down on J to activate layer 2 and I can find numpad in the BQZÅ quadrant. A problem is that I need it so seldom I keep forgetting it's existence.

i don't think i've seen a dual mouse setup before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please.

It’s Mice Akimbo

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

saukkis sits down to post:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 for $235: https://sellout.woot.com/offers/sapphire-pulse-radeon-rx-6600-amd-gpu

This is the one with all four video outs. It's a new all-time low ($95 off its launch MSRP), and it's still basically the best GPU available right now from a price-to-performance standpoint.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rinkles posted:

i don't think i've seen a dual mouse setup before.

It was the simplest solution for spreading the load on my carpal tunnels, been doing it for maybe a decade at this point. Nowadays I slightly prefer the left hand outside gaming. The split keyboard is the latest step, next would be turning them vertical but requires buildging some kind of stands.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Those thumb buttons aren't as unusual as this thread is making them out to be. That's actually a pretty normal ergonomic keyboard layout.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Those thumb buttons aren't as unusual as this thread is making them out to be. That's actually a pretty normal ergonomic keyboard layout.

Yeah, it’s also extremely similar to how a stenographer keyboard works.

Daeus
Nov 17, 2001

For well over a decade I often relied on a suggested build in one of the OPs for this thread (there were several different builds for different price points). Are these gone?

Trying to get a good starting point for a mid-high range PC I'll build in the next few months. I want to game on a 49" monitor at 1440p, but play games mostly from 2015). It's been seven years since I built my last one. From this thread I've gathered waiting a couple months at this point is a good idea.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
some low end liquidation i think

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryzen-3100-a320-assembled-at-ps9999-at-palicomp-3991138#comments

of note is the 3600 combo for only 138 pounds, very competitive even with the lower end. motherboard is crap but it's hard to get an even okay cpu+mobo for 100.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Daeus posted:

For well over a decade I often relied on a suggested build in one of the OPs for this thread (there were several different builds for different price points). Are these gone?

Trying to get a good starting point for a mid-high range PC I'll build in the next few months. I want to game on a 49" monitor at 1440p, but play games mostly from 2015). It's been seven years since I built my last one. From this thread I've gathered waiting a couple months at this point is a good idea.

If you’re waiting a few months there’s no advice right now. New CPUs and GPUs are on the horizon and everything will change.

Things are so fluid with sales and pricing having a preset build in the OP doesn’t make a huge amount of sense.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Any suggestions for a good case for a 'server' that should be good for at least 8 hard drives? Tower or 4U rack cases as long as they come in a short version.

There's the Define R7 (the version with the window....) which can a bunch of drives. But airflow seems less than idea.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's the Define R7 (the version with the window....) which can a bunch of drives. But airflow seems less than idea.

You can put 3x140mm fans in the front of the Define 7, it'll be fine for 8 harddrives :v:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I actually bought this about a year ago. Finally getting delivered this month:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I actually have the same wireless Logitech mouse (a couple of them, actually) that Saukkis has, partly for ergonomic reasons. I know carpal tunnel stuff can be terrible, and feel lucky that my own weird approach to ergonomics has helped me avoid any repetitive motion injuries. I keep my keyboard and mouse way higher compared to what's recommended, and have done so for years, and it helps keep my wrists straight and relaxed. It does mean I had to buy risers to lift my current desk an inch or so because my current office chair won't lower far enough to hit the high typing position I maintain.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Any suggestions for a good case for a 'server' that should be good for at least 8 hard drives? Tower or 4U rack cases as long as they come in a short version.

I have the define 7 with 8 HDDs, a 5.0ghz OC 7700k, and a 3080FE, and a hit as gently caress sata RAID card.

3x 140mm fans in the front and one 140mm in the rear is totally fine provided you have a decent CPU cooler. Also swing the door open during intense gaming and it makes a big difference.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Edit:. Fractal Meshify 2 XL as well

grack fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 6, 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've been daydreaming about using the Enthoo Pro 2 as a home server for a while now, including installing an ITX AM1 board with external DC power in the second PC slot on the power supply shroud because [here is where the justification would go if there was one]

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How does one accomplish a bios update that is incompatible with your cpu?

What I mean is that I currently have a ryzen 5 2600x in an Asrock AB350M Pro4 board. It need a bios update to accept the ryzen 5 5600 that I just bought.

Do I update the bios before I install the new chip? I assume once I do that the mobo will no longer boot on the 2600x

Or do I somehow update it after the 5600 is installed? I can’t imagine how I’d do that though

Welp. Might have borked it

quote:

I currently have an AB350M Pro 4 with a Ryzen 5 2600x installed. I purchased a R5 5600 to replace it. I was on BIOS 4.9. I downloaded the 7.0 Bridge update and installed it.

My machine now boots to the ASROCK splash screen, but it will not go into BIOS setup. It just hangs when I try.

I am able to press F11 to get to the boot menu, but my hard drive is no longer bootable, and the button to go into setup just results in a hang again.

Pressing F6 does absolutely nothing

Only AFTER I got in a jam did I discover a post that says I should have gone 4.9->5.5->5.9->7.0->7.2

Things I've done:

I reset the BIOS with the jumper

I removed all but one stick of RAM, which is currently installed in slot 4 (B2)

Any thoughts? I pulled the power cord and the BIOS battery this morning before I left for work as a last ditch effort, and just ordered a new B550 motherboard on amazon, because I think this thing is done for, but if anyone has any ideas I'm happy to cancel my order

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Welp. Might have borked it

Any thoughts? I pulled the power cord and the BIOS battery this morning before I left for work as a last ditch effort, and just ordered a new B550 motherboard on amazon, because I think this thing is done for, but if anyone has any ideas I'm happy to cancel my order

It might just be a compatibility issue with the old CPU.

You could try bringing it to a local PC shop that should have a 3600 and see if they can get it updated for the 5600x.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's a good option/price on a 2tb SSD these days? Not sure whether m.2 is worth it for just a game storage drive, I've got a 1tb nvme for my boot drive but with how stupid big games are these days it's getting full even with constantly pruning games.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if you have the m.2 slots then there's no downside to buying those, since low end ones are as good as or much better than the highest end SATA SSDs and usually as cheap/cheaper.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I'll need to check, I can't remember if I have a second slot or just the one. My motherboard is about 5 years old at this point but the 8700k is still handling everything well so I don't want to upgrade until I have to, it's not even overclocked yet.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I installed new fans in my Meshify 2, but for some reason the bottommost of the three front 140mm fans won’t fully spin up. It does lone slow rotation, stops, then slowly rotates again, over and over. It’s in a chain of three PWM fans hanging off a single motherboard header, but it should be able to put out enough power to handle that?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

I installed new fans in my Meshify 2, but for some reason the bottommost of the three front 140mm fans won’t fully spin up. It does lone slow rotation, stops, then slowly rotates again, over and over. It’s in a chain of three PWM fans hanging off a single motherboard header, but it should be able to put out enough power to handle that?

Depending on your board, 3x 140mm PWM may be too much for the header, and you risk blowing the header.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

Doesn't the Meshify 2 have a powered fan hub?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It does, I’m not sure if the fan cables will reach though.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

It does, I’m not sure if the fan cables will reach though.

Just get some fan extension cables off Amazon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Suddenly Asus has a micro-ATX case that doesn't have a vomit-inducing gamer aesthetic: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-prime-ap201/

It looks like an SFF case, but it's 33 liters. Its desk profile is 205mm x 460mm, which is actually larger than the Meshify 2 Compact (210mm x 424mm) and some other compact full-ATX cases. But it's a short king, and it builds like an SFF case with the tucked-away power supply.

It's $80 + $7 shipping on newegg, which is a bit much in my opinion, considering it only comes with one fan and would otherwise want to be paired with budget motherboards. But if it goes on sale, it could be a good option for budget mATX builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I want to build a cluster computer to use for AI and possibly some other projects. I am thinking of buying a couple of cheap computers from the flea market and tying them up with a gigabit router and cat6 cables, but need a sanity check.

For the record, my models are small enough to work better on CPUs over GPUs so thankfully I don't need to mess with GPUs as they are much more fussy, so only CPU and RAM are relevant out of the three.

How hard is it to implement a kubernetes/beowulf cluster this way? I've found many tutorials and they make it sound pretty easy but I know there is a ton of stuff that those tutorials just dont cover easily. Has anyone here experience in using or building cluster computers, especially for AI projects? Is this a terrible idea? I mean I see used laptops and desktops sold for around 10-50 euros with celeron 2ghz or intel core duo 2.4ghz dual core cpus. Is the electricity usage/processing power ratio as terrible as I think it is with this old gear? Should I just look for other options such as building a cluster out of new good price/power ratio cpus? (I have yet to study how that's implemented :v:)