Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

VostokProgram posted:

What's a mach speed stage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxdloube5ok&t=515s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain France posted:

Eggmanland WiiS2 used to be the worst 3D Sonic level I had ever played.

Then someone ported Eggmanland PS360 into Unleashed.

I suppose it's possible that it was a bad port, but I assume it was a good port of the worst level ever.

Wait second worst if you include fangames, I forgot Worst Cave. Sonic World DX tip: If you like marathon mode, pick a stage you don't like. Skip that stage's encore. Clearing all encores unlocks Worst Cave, a terrible Mach Speed level I assume they left in as some kind of joke, that once took me from at least 30 lives through multiple game overs.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r2YvYHv_b0

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Procrastine posted:

I don't know how it works in that fangame, you'd hope they fixed at least some of the bad ideas, but in Sonic 06 the premise is Sonic runs at full speed at all times and cannot slow down, even if he takes damage he continues tumbling ahead without slowing during the damage animation, if he runs into a wall or obstacle he takes damage (you can of course get stuck on a wall and take damage repeatedly and die), and because this is Sonic 06 instead of strafing in lanes like in Unleashed, pressing left and right changes Sonic's angle also you can't turn while jumping so if you jump without being parallel with the direction the road is going you're flying off the edge

Here's a video looking at the differences between retail mach speed and P06 mach speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8wo9FR4-U

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

imo Unleashed is much meaner. It has literal laugh-at-you-for-using-them trap springs!

Yeah, the DLC stages in particular are brutal. Imagine spending all that money for the experience of trying to dodge bullets like Neo but at normal speed.

But Unleashed's cruelty is deliberate. 06 is a clown car of a video game that just falls apart in ways you'd never expect. It's always fun watching people get tricked by the collapsing stairs in Kingdom Valley (which don't give you any warning before it's too late) or Shadow's hovercraft segment where it's completely random whether a collapsing pillar will instantly kill you or not.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Augus posted:

I tried a bit of Sonic World. It’s alright but pretty jank. It has that classic “if you approach this scripted sequence in an even slightly different way than the developer predicted the whole thing breaks” problem in spades. Also the controls feel pretty awkward since they’re seemingly trying to be both adventure style and unleashed style at the same time. also the camera is zoomed really close and there’s no way to change it.

oh yeah and shadow feels a lot worse to play as than Sonic, which is unforgivable

Idunno about the camera, I never had problems with it besides the scripted bits that take control of the camera and can break and keep it locked a while, which, that sucks, yeah, fair. But Emerald Coast is somehow the worst about broken scripts, and I don't know why, it didn't used to be. It also didn't used to be the first level on the level select. It is loving bizarre to me that they would somehow both gently caress up Emerald Coast AND decide to put their worst foot forward like that.

Well, second worst. There's also Worst Cave. Which is this.
Although I'm sure if I had Marathonned into it with a character with bounce and double jump instead of a random selection that I remember did not have that, I probably would not have died over 30 times.

I do not know how much, if any, Worst Cave has been improved in the new version, because I have not unlocked it, and as a fan of "play random stages in random order with random teams of characters" Marathon Mode, I will not be unlocking it, I think.

--edit: Man that song is strangely catchy though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

360 Unleashed is legit one of my favourite Sonic levels. It's loving Eggmanland, it was name dropped back in Adventure 1 and absolutely delivered on being Eggman's ultimate fortress.

The fact it was a barely surmountable nightmare was the point; I will admit that this possibly made it incredibly unfun to actually play, but true art requires commitment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain France posted:

--edit: Man that song is strangely catchy though.

It's from one of the Crash Bandicoot games, the third party ones that were real bombs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
eggmanland owns, the only problem is that you have to do one of the terrible tails QTE fests first

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

360 Unleashed is legit one of my favourite Sonic levels. It's loving Eggmanland, it was name dropped back in Adventure 1 and absolutely delivered on being Eggman's ultimate fortress.

The fact it was a barely surmountable nightmare was the point; I will admit that this possibly made it incredibly unfun to actually play, but true art requires commitment.

there’s a mod for generations that ports over eggmanland with all the werehog sections modified to be playable as Sonic and it kicks rear end.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I've never seen a blind lp of sonic 06 that doesn't game over before the end of wave ocean and I think that's incredible

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said before, But Sonic 06 is absolutely an amazing mess specifically because of the sum of its parts. It's not just that it's an obviously unfinished mess with a ludicrously ill-advised plot and characters, but it's about the context, and how it presents itself with such utterly misplaced confidence, from the title onwards. Remember this was Sonic's big HD next-gen debut, an anniversary special and with a massive marketing push.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simsmagic posted:

I've never seen a blind lp of sonic 06 that doesn't game over before the end of wave ocean and I think that's incredible
I assure you that even non-blind an LPer can easily game over

The Wave Ocean S-rank took by far the most recording attempts so far

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

My god, that's awful. And the sad thing is that the level design seems like it would be fun if it had normal controls instead of forced running

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

My god, that's awful. And the sad thing is that the level design seems like it would be fun if it had normal controls instead of forced running
The level design of the entire game is fun. Subscribe for more arguments

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Simsmagic posted:

If having a goon who has definitely watched a Sonic 06 LP before along for the ride counts as blind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeaUPjqmgZI

right down to the wire, finishes on 0 lives and 0 rings despite ignoring every tutorial prompt

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

VostokProgram posted:

And the sad thing is that the level design seems like it would be fun if it had normal controls instead of forced running

it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_J3OAWNL4&t=90s

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knz-3qUmTHg

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like it. can't wait to play the new game in a couple months

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s the full version of the theme:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5U1jO4KL60Y

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just don’t want it to be mediocre after all this, surprise classic or catastrophe, please

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Game looks good to me, will buy in November so I can play as my friend Sonic the Hedgehog and maybe see my other friend Shadow the Hedgehog

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I predict this will be one of those very flawed but ultimately “decent” games that neither poo poo the bed nor set the fanbase on fire. Middle of the road, another heavily flawed attempt to reinvent 3D Sonic.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, the DLC stages in particular are brutal. Imagine spending all that money for the experience of trying to dodge bullets like Neo but at normal speed.

But Unleashed's cruelty is deliberate. 06 is a clown car of a video game that just falls apart in ways you'd never expect. It's always fun watching people get tricked by the collapsing stairs in Kingdom Valley (which don't give you any warning before it's too late) or Shadow's hovercraft segment where it's completely random whether a collapsing pillar will instantly kill you or not.

Yeah, Unleashed is difficult while 06 is bullshit.

I'll still take 06 over Heroes, Shadow, Boom, Secret Rings or Black Knight though. Which is... a surprising number of games when I put them all in a row there, considering how bad it is.

Excited to see if Frontiers clears this bar!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am cautiously optimistic for the new sonic game

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Song's weird. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just... it's not very Sonic, is it? Stack it up against Fist Bump, Reach for the Stars, Endless Possibilities, His World... what's it doing here?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fedule posted:

Song's weird. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just... it's not very Sonic, is it? Stack it up against Fist Bump, Reach for the Stars, Endless Possibilities, His World... what's it doing here?

It's the ending theme so compare it to My Dear Friends and Speak With Your Heart

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's the ending theme so compare it to My Dear Friends and Speak With Your Heart

Oh. Well now I'm trying to imagine what kind of plot sets this up. "Vandalize my heart?" What did you do, Sonic?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Odd they chose the ending theme as the first one to be officially revealed as opposed to the main theme though but hopefully we’ll get that soon (it’s not looking like Crush 40’s coming back for this game unfortunately)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

I just don’t want it to be mediocre after all this, surprise classic or catastrophe, please

it will be good, I feel it in my heart
Roger craig smith was about to quit being Sonic but then they showed him how much of a banger the next game would be and he decided to stay on board. this is the story I have decided upon

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Larryb posted:

And here’s the full version of the theme:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5U1jO4KL60Y

That's the One Piece font, dirty and broken.
That would explain all the filler-looking open world :v:

I would accept if this was another decent Sonic title, like Lost World was. A solid 6/10 as a whole, but with fun segments here and there. It's basically what I expect from Sonic games now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s got Sonic the Hedgehog in it so probs an 8/10 game.

Maybe 7/10 because of the Open World

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oxxidation posted:

surprise classic catastrophe?

I do get the feeling a janky open world is going to have some amazing bugs

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

They just drop the F-bomb in the lyrics of the Japanese version of that song huh?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They just drop the F-bomb in the lyrics of the Japanese version of that song huh?

They really do huh, and in a very obviously sexual context to boot :stare:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Listen, someone needs to re-introduce the concept of sex to the Japanese and if it’s gotta be sonic then so be it.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Sega of America: Well, okay, but here where you say "gently caress the pain away," how 'bout just, "fight the pain away"?

ONE OK ROCK:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh good, so I wasn’t just hearing things (then again, the original version of His World from 06 contains the lyrics “Kickin rear end fast, putting on a show” and the first part was changed to “Running so fast” in the actual game)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 7, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

see I told you the game would be a banger, it has Sonic saying gently caress

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait is the only difference in the Japanese version just "gently caress the pain away"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait is the only difference in the Japanese version just "gently caress the pain away"?

There’s some Japanese lyrics as well of course but otherwise yeah (as I said, it’s just like His World where they only changed one line of the song):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F_xell1SQr0

Seems this is the album version as there’s an alternate English one that also contains the line:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tU5X-9wKspU

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 7, 2022