Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

kalel posted:

what the hell is this crap. and how come when I do it I get smushed???

the mana base is super iffy but its all about having those 2 for 1s, which this deck is loaded with

you can also go the a bunch of outriders and recursion route, that one is my favorite

https://www.17lands.com/deck/9ac4df3af9b44ba8bf4fa3c996f9db53/3

but really you can do basically anything in this set, its great

studio mujahideen posted:

micromancer rules because there's a ton of great 1 cost spells and if you're blue you probably have a tolarian terror/etc anyway so even getting the lovely -1/0 cantrip is extremely worth it

it being a 3/3 just means its fairly relevant on board too.

that lovely cantrip is fantastic! its also straight up 3 mana kill a thing draw a card a lot of the time

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jim Davis playing 4 Llanowar Stalkers... I know enabling a cheap Argivian Phalanx has value but at what cost

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Death of Rats posted:

This set doesn't feel like it has much by way of generically available flood mitigation (see also the scry lands of strixhaven, blood tokens etc); if you play out your curve and hit a glut of lands around t4, it feels so tricky to get back into the game.

I think this might be the first set in a while that cards like impulse and the divination variants could be better than in recent sets.

I like the typed tapland duals a lot but also find myself missing the Capenna ones that you could sac in a pinch. Agree that Impulse and anything else that lets you rummage or loot feels much higher in value in DMU limited.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Has anyone played much with Thran Portal in standard? I'm curious to start brewing some aggro builds and a universal fast land definitely seems good but getting pinged every time you use it (worse than pain lands) and etb'ing tapped after turn 3 seems bad.

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to duals in standard so I guess my question is "if a deck would need Thran Portals are they worth crafting up to 3 of them or is the deck not worth building"

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Death of Rats posted:

I've drafted this set twice, and twice a card has disappeared from the pack without me being able to pick it.

Free drafts from support are nice, but randomly losing P1P3 and P1P4 (respectively) sucks a lot of the fun out of a draft.

Is it the visual bug that has been around for the last few drafts? What typically happens is that you get a random card but when you get a deck error when you start to build and when you get back in the correct card is there. There is reddit post where OP gets banned for repeatedly reporting the bug for refunds. This was for like 30 reports so a bit excessive but just so you are aware.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #11

https://www.17lands.com/draft/73a4e953dbb84958b7a9952f93cb5612
4-3

P1P1ed an Archangel of Wrath but I don't think I built properly around it. I got a fair bit of red starting with Defiler of Instinct, and Tori in pack 2 cemented that. The green picks look like brain farts in retrospect, especially missing the Argivian Phalanx in P1P5. I speculated on trying to build up black and there were a few cards that seemed worthwhile but I did not get fixing (I don't know that taking a BG dual over Skycleaver would have been correct though).

Aside from the first game I posted, I could not be too aggressive, and without early pressure I couldn't end games quickly and I was lucky to come out positive just by the Angels blasting everything and Defiler shoring up the line. Every loss was to green stompy decks -- I feel like I could have taken those out if I were faster and my 4-drops were actually finishing the job. I ended up having to use Heroic Charge defensively which was not great lol

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Judgy Fucker posted:

Has anyone played much with Thran Portal in standard?

CGB was very high on it during the streamer preview, but during actual set release he had echoed your points exactly

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Went 4-3 and then 7-1 in sealed.

7-1 was bananas. 3 brawlers, beastcaller, flying land merfolk, Ajani, trample spider, and a bunch of decent green and white cards.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Living it up in the Explorer Bo3 queue, currently two pips into Plat 4 going up against the 35th ranked Mythic player.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Has anyone played much with Thran Portal in standard? I'm curious to start brewing some aggro builds and a universal fast land definitely seems good but getting pinged every time you use it (worse than pain lands) and etb'ing tapped after turn 3 seems bad.

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to duals in standard so I guess my question is "if a deck would need Thran Portals are they worth crafting up to 3 of them or is the deck not worth building"
A good number of my opponents lost because they took too much damage from their Thran Portals. Trust them not.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #11

https://www.17lands.com/draft/73a4e953dbb84958b7a9952f93cb5612
4-3

P1P1ed an Archangel of Wrath but I don't think I built properly around it. I got a fair bit of red starting with Defiler of Instinct, and Tori in pack 2 cemented that. The green picks look like brain farts in retrospect, especially missing the Argivian Phalanx in P1P5. I speculated on trying to build up black and there were a few cards that seemed worthwhile but I did not get fixing (I don't know that taking a BG dual over Skycleaver would have been correct though).

Aside from the first game I posted, I could not be too aggressive, and without early pressure I couldn't end games quickly and I was lucky to come out positive just by the Angels blasting everything and Defiler shoring up the line. Every loss was to green stompy decks -- I feel like I could have taken those out if I were faster and my 4-drops were actually finishing the job. I ended up having to use Heroic Charge defensively which was not great lol

I'm not interested in splashing in WR. I would hope to draft an on-colour dual or two for Archangel's B kicker but Braids (BB) is not splashable.

P1P2 Elas > Defiler. P1P4 Flowstone Infusion > 3/4 angel. I think Maro in P1P5 is a good speculative pick because I don't mind giving up a Phalanx. You did pick up on this but yeah, in WR you still need to curve out and pressure early. Cards like Phoenix Chick, Samite Herbalist and the 2/2 ape aren't the best cards but they would have been fine picks in packs 2 and 3.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress is going on with this limited set. I'm either going 1-3 or 7-1. 4 drafts were net losses, but 3 were trophies and I'm in the low end of the rank pool because I skipped Baldur's Gate. All I can say is, I somehow keep getting forced into black base with defenders and splashes. Everything just seems like chaos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so what emerging standard decks are people seeing/playing? Day9's Jund deck is both ridiculously fun and also ridiculously strong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Tqz0jVvI8&hd=1

Deck
3 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Cut Down
2 Mountain
2 Sulfurous Springs
2 Karplusan Forest
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Infernal Grasp
3 Haunted Ridge
2 Sorin the Mirthless
3 Deathcap Glade
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
4 Teachings of the Kirin
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
3 Tenacious Underdog
4 Titan of Industry
4 Riveteers Overlook
4 Ziatora's Proving Ground
3 The Cruelty of Gix
4 Soul of Windgrace

Sideboard
2 Duress
1 The Meathook Massacre
2 Pilfer
2 Squee, Dubious Monarch
2 Cut Down
3 Graveyard Trespasser
1 The Meathook Massacre
2 Riveteers Charm

I'm sure it'll get tweaked and upgraded over time but it's a strong list right out the gate for the new standard.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

CGB was very high on it during the streamer preview, but during actual set release he had echoed your points exactly

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

A good number of my opponents lost because they took too much damage from their Thran Portals. Trust them not.

Thanks! Glad I asked before crafting.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Captain Invictus posted:

so what emerging standard decks are people seeing/playing?

I'm still running mono-black control pile because I had 90% of it after playing the deck before rotation then opening 4 LotVs, but Fable seems to be everywhere.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
gruuuuuul

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boxman posted:

I'm still running mono-black control pile because I had 90% of it after playing the deck before rotation then opening 4 LotVs, but Fable seems to be everywhere.
yeah, fable is such an insane value engine I wouldn't be surprised if it got a ban just for how ridiculous prevalent it is. If a deck has red in it, besides RDW since it's too slow, there's going to be probably 4x fables.

The jund list I just posted doesn't necessarily need the fables, but it's such a good card both for distraction and cycling while you get set up that it's worth having in it.

And I never encountered it but witnessing someone do the "2x reflections cloning each other as many times as you have mana after the end step sac trigger so you start your turn with like 8 extra copies to swing in with" thing is stupid as poo poo and should not work that way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wei posted:

I'm not interested in splashing in WR. I would hope to draft an on-colour dual or two for Archangel's B kicker but Braids (BB) is not splashable.

P1P2 Elas > Defiler. P1P4 Flowstone Infusion > 3/4 angel. I think Maro in P1P5 is a good speculative pick because I don't mind giving up a Phalanx. You did pick up on this but yeah, in WR you still need to curve out and pressure early. Cards like Phoenix Chick, Samite Herbalist and the 2/2 ape aren't the best cards but they would have been fine picks in packs 2 and 3.

Thanks, that makes sense. I lucked out in jamming in a Vodalian Mindsinger into my previous BG deck, but maybe that worked better because I wanted to play the long game anyway. Based on how I played NEO, I guess golgari value piles just jive with how I play a lot better than other archetypes lol... In the postmortem it became super obvious how I only had one two-drop in the maindeck and maybe I should have even considered playing the Faithbonder just to have a body.

I am also still getting a sense of when to grab lands in the draft, and if to speculate on dual lands if they touch a color. In SNC it felt like you had to pick them up pretty quickly. And I think by the end of NEO the content creators (especially one of the Lords) seemed high on grabbing lands early to enable whatever bomb you might open in p2 or p3.

Captain Invictus posted:

so what emerging standard decks are people seeing/playing? Day9's Jund deck is both ridiculously fun and also ridiculously strong

I want to try this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOkP3rLkYTc

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 6, 2022

wei
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. I lucked out in jamming in a Vodalian Mindsinger into my previous BG deck, but maybe that worked better because I wanted to play the long game anyway. Based on how I played NEO, I guess golgari value piles just jive with how I play a lot better than other archetypes lol... In the postmortem it became super obvious how I only had one two-drop in the maindeck and maybe I should have even considered playing the Faithbonder just to have a body.

I am also still getting a sense of when to grab lands in the draft, and if to speculate on dual lands if they touch a color. In SNC it felt like you had to pick them up pretty quickly. And I think by the end of NEO the content creators (especially one of the Lords) seemed high on grabbing lands early to enable whatever bomb you might open in p2 or p3.

Yeah that's exactly it, the games go longer and these decks rarely run out of things to do so the sketchy splashes eventually come into play as long as the deck isn't overloaded with them.

This rule is very rough because every pick is so contextual, but if I'm a mostly 2C deck I'm valuing the (half or on-colour) duals above replacement commons. If I start out with good Domain payoffs I'd pick duals over most commons, sometimes over good removal.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

So want to make sure my defender deck is perfect so asking for advice before I play. I got insane number of playables, but every time I saw a good land there was something I convinced myself I needed, usually a chaplain. Is the 2x Raven Man with Academy Wall too cute? Both Knights are normally great, but wondering if I should cut the black one in this deck. Have two walls, Haughty Djinn and a Talas Lookout in the sideboard I haven't played.

Guess I am thinking Knight of Dusk's Shadow out and maybe Clockword Drawbridge in?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I’m not sure there’s enough to be a good deck, but Jaxis and Ratadrabik work incredibly well together.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is literally no situation I would run a Thran Portal over a normal painland. Even if it's one of the 4 combos there's no painland for yet, if you're running aggro you certainly aren't running the sort of greedy 4c piles that would necessitate a Thran Portal, so just run a basic there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jim Davis playing 4 Llanowar Stalkers... I know enabling a cheap Argivian Phalanx has value but at what cost

omg

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Indeed, CharlieFoxtrot. OMG indeed.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

There is literally no situation I would run a Thran Portal over a normal painland. Even if it's one of the 4 combos there's no painland for yet, if you're running aggro you certainly aren't running the sort of greedy 4c piles that would necessitate a Thran Portal, so just run a basic there.

Wasn't asking about either/or, asking about pain land + Thran Portal. I try to run 14 etb untapped lands for each color of one drops I want to consistently hit; with pain lands and portals I can do that but without Portals I can't when running less than 24 lands.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're going for a hyper-aggro deck then sure, that's literally the deck Thran Portal is designed for.

Otherwise you should probably be playing 24 lands anyway. Run the channel lands if you're really worried about flooding out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #12
The heart of the cards granted me a redo with the Archangel deck lol, I think this one looks a lot better?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/338d3f8bea3b4077afcc9ba9982c0a2e

Aron seems like a leaner splashable and fits into this deck's gameplan, I think? I have more 2-drops here for sure, and Baird into Love Song seems pretty potent. Ghitu Amplifiers probably won't be kicked but they will still activate off Charge and Lightning Strike, and synergize with Baird.

Speaking of which, this was probably the toughest choice: https://www.17lands.com/draft/338d3f8bea3b4077afcc9ba9982c0a2e/3/2 Second Baird or Hurloon Battle Hymn? I thought I would be ok with the removal I had so I thought shoring up board development was more important

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Finally came down from the high of that Defenders deck last week and had another draft.

Draft

My copilot bullied me into taking Defiler of Flesh p1p1 but luckily blue was WIDE open and I was able to cut it from the deck. Blacks common permanents are mostly garbage, -Phyrexian Rager is the only one that's any good and even it isn't performing well this format- so Defiler doesn't really do much except be an unexciting big medium dummy most of the time. I'd have taken Prayer of Binding if my buddy wasn't hollering about it.

Followed up with Phyrexian Rager over Aether Channeler partly to stay black but mostly to have some great complaint equity if I lost because of the bad card I was forced to take p1. Did I tell my friend "we're gonna lose and it's going to be your fault and we can draft again"? Maybe. Funniest thing is Channeler would have been a much better pick for our eventual deck, with or without the Defiler in the deck.

Very tempted by Chappie p2p1 but neither of the black walls I passed in pack one wheeled so I decided to stay the course. There were a lot of tough picks midpack but it felt like nobody else was in blue, and definitely not in blue/black so we got some gifts late in each pack. Essence Scatter p2p11 was absurd.

I can't say that the final build was correct. Choking Miasma ertainly should have been in the deck. I kicked Battlewing Mystic a couple times but I also looted them away multiple times, and in a slightly more variant world they'd have looked embarrassing. Mana was mostly good but there were some turns where I wanted BBB and didn't have it.

A note about Academy Loremaster: Normally this card is awful but my deck had loads of instants and especially 3 Essence Scatters, and I had a couple games where I played her on turn 2 and just drew and made land drops and passed with instants up, then eventually traded it off when it no longer benefitted me. Game 3 is a great example of what you're trying to do with it.

Games were pretty straightforward, some good clean control deck action where you pass the turn and do nothing, waiting for your opponent to take actions and then pounce on them. You can't see it in the replays but one opponent Your Go'd me on turn 2 and I beat the absolute gently caress out of them, very satisfying.

Result: 7-0 in gold

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Would somebody help me make 3 cuts please? Also lmao at being I think the only player on black out of 7

https://www.17lands.com/deck/69c99e3cdf694f71b47f71e84a8ff31a

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Would somebody help me make 3 cuts please? Also lmao at being I think the only player on black out of 7

https://www.17lands.com/deck/69c99e3cdf694f71b47f71e84a8ff31a

If anything I want to bring more cards in! The second Urborg Repocession is really good, as is the Shadow Prophecy is really good oh wait that's a Sulfurous Spring not the dual land.

Cards I don't like are Aggressive Sabotage, some (all?) Balduvian Atrocity and some 2 drops? I get the Eerie Soultenders are there for the cleric lord, not sure how many of them I like here since your tutor targets aren't spectacular.

Looking at your draft I wished you had lot taken a lot of BGux cards going by, especially dual lands.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
During the streamer prerelease CGB said "Watch the auto tapper with pain lands, it will kill you." and sure as loving poo poo I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the loving auto tapper

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

During the streamer prerelease CGB said "Watch the auto tapper with pain lands, it will kill you." and sure as loving poo poo I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the loving auto tapper

Even just with duals in limited I've seen people get massively owned by the autotapper, multiple times in a game.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

MasterBuilder posted:

Is it the visual bug that has been around for the last few drafts? What typically happens is that you get a random card but when you get a deck error when you start to build and when you get back in the correct card is there. There is reddit post where OP gets banned for repeatedly reporting the bug for refunds. This was for like 30 reports so a bit excessive but just so you are aware.

No, I've had that bug too but since it's only visual I haven't claimed against it unless it hosed my draft up in a notable way (so, being unsure which card I took when it matters for synergy reasons). Thanks for the heads up though.

This is literally a card disappearing from the pack, and crucially still being on that pack. Screenshot below:

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 6, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's an irony in here of the screenshot of the disappearing card disappearing from the forums

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Eej posted:

There's an irony in here of the screenshot of the disappearing card disappearing from the forums

You caught me mid edit - I'm bad at imgur it seems. Fixed now though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's a truly bizarre bug and my feeling is that you should just reinstall the whole game tbh

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Death of Rats posted:

No, I've had that bug too but since it's only visual I haven't claimed against it unless it hosed my draft up in a notable way (so, being unsure which card I took when it matters for synergy reasons). Thanks for the heads up though.

This is literally a card disappearing from the pack, and crucially still being on that pack. Screenshot below:

Sometimes hitting the home button top left and coming back to the draft fixes those visual bugs, but I'd understand not wanting to risk it when you're under the pick timer.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I swear I draft removal, but it's been 7 games now over 3 different decks that it just doesn't ever show up. It sucks when I lose to someone with 2 tail swipes and a top decked bite down and I'm sitting here with all my removal apparently in the last half of my deck. It's not like I don't have some myself! Just aggravating when it keeps happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Carillon posted:

I swear I draft removal, but it's been 7 games now over 3 different decks that it just doesn't ever show up. It sucks when I lose to someone with 2 tail swipes and a top decked bite down and I'm sitting here with all my removal apparently in the last half of my deck. It's not like I don't have some myself! Just aggravating when it keeps happening.

show us the deck