Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

500excf type r posted:

Additionally I have 16 chickens which means at like beak production I'd be getting close to a dozen eggs a day and a half gallon of goat milk.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

"It was all just a big misunderstanding"

put that on the biosphere's tombstone

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait is the rancid milk lake real? I genuinely can’t tell. why are people dumping milk? that video didn’t once explain why there was a milk lake it just talked about the torment of its existence like it was an onion bit.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

also I can’t tell the difference between any of their other videos and joke headlines is this what the news is now?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kater posted:

wait is the rancid milk lake real? I genuinely can’t tell. why are people dumping milk? that video didn’t once explain why there was a milk lake it just talked about the torment of its existence like it was an onion bit.

could be a lot of reasons, contaminated batch, didn't sell for enough money, don't want poor people to have free milk, but it all just comes down to cheapest option available when there are no consequences either way

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Zodium posted:

they're not orthogonal. all of this has the same primary reason: capitalism.

Communism can't devulcanize rubber either, some things just can't be allowed to exist

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

kater posted:

also I can’t tell the difference between any of their other videos and joke headlines is this what the news is now?

img-astronaut

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Happy Tuesday!

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1566848921527357441

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1565414264596496384

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1566351680127614977

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:rip:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zodium posted:

they're not orthogonal. all of this has the same primary reason: capitalism.

Capitalism is bad, but humans are lovely, greedy fucks even without it.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/08/the-soviet-union-once-hunted-endangered-whales-to-the-brink-of-extinction/

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

They didn't die cause of climate change.

"Experts have told VICE World News that not only were they planted at the wrong time of year, but that they were planted on species-rich grassland that was already carbon negative, which has now been mostly destroyed by tree planting. Environmentalists also point out that the trees were planted so shallowly into the ground that most were unlikely to ever take root."

Dipshit morons pretend to fix problem, make problem worse on purpose. Tale as old as time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
At least in theory (global) communism could be a diligent steward of common resources, like the seas and soils and atmosphere, but in practice even communists want to improve quality of life (in terms of material wealth which can be represented by per capita energy use) and the environment will always play second fiddle to that.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Gonna pick up emtme3's hooting and hollering about ecocommunism and epistemological collapse to say something like

"Full Communism is indistinguishable from a completely planned biosphere, and does not privilege any one species over the rest"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1567124836215914496

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

D&D climate thread had a big fight over eating meat but because the carbon impact was small compared to energy generation and everyone's feelings were getting real hurt they decided to ban the discussion of eating meat.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
"in 2021, a study showed the Thwaites Ice Shelf, which helps to stabilize the glacier and hold the ice back from flowing freely into the ocean, could shatter within five years."

“From the satellite data, we’re seeing these big fractures spreading across the ice shelf surface, essentially weakening the fabric of the ice; kind of a bit like a windscreen crack,” Peter Davis, an oceanographer with the British Antarctic Survey, told CNN in 2021. “It’s slowly spreading across the ice shelf and eventually it’s going to fracture into lots of different pieces.”

Monday’s findings, which suggest the Thwaites is capable of receding at a much faster pace than recently thought"

Holy poo poo this thing is going to pop in a couple years

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I quite like the public meat adverts in Amsterdam though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

unwantedplatypus posted:

"in 2021, a study showed the Thwaites Ice Shelf, which helps to stabilize the glacier and hold the ice back from flowing freely into the ocean, could shatter within five years."

“From the satellite data, we’re seeing these big fractures spreading across the ice shelf surface, essentially weakening the fabric of the ice; kind of a bit like a windscreen crack,” Peter Davis, an oceanographer with the British Antarctic Survey, told CNN in 2021. “It’s slowly spreading across the ice shelf and eventually it’s going to fracture into lots of different pieces.”

Monday’s findings, which suggest the Thwaites is capable of receding at a much faster pace than recently thought"

Holy poo poo this thing is going to pop in a couple years

so, next week, then?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1566797139023462405

does this hold up because it's setting off my Malcolm Gladwell "bad thing actually good" counterintuitive bullshit alarms

Cotton or paper bags you can compost, so those seem like the best option

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Microplastics posted:

At least in theory (global) communism could be a diligent steward of common resources, like the seas and soils and atmosphere, but in practice even communists want to improve quality of life (in terms of material wealth which can be represented by per capita energy use) and the environment will always play second fiddle to that.

gradenko_2000 posted:

taken from "Song of the Forest: Russian Forestry and Stalinist Environmentalism, 1905-1953", by Stephen Brain

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

forester stalin :hai:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

get the gently caress out, smokey, here comes stalin the bear

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Agreed, full communism is the way forward, and we shouldn't focus on minor things like the Aral Sea or Mayak or Soviet whaling history.

For example: through dedicated effort, the Belorussian and Ukrainain governments were able to create *one of the largest wildlife refuges in mainland Euorpe between their borders, measured at 4,862 square kilometers.

Slow News Day posted:

Capitalism is bad, but humans are lovely, greedy fucks even without it.

:hai:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Sep 6, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I don't remember where I just got this link:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...obox=1662282311

This is the funniest thing ever.

quote:

They sat around the table and introduced themselves: five super-wealthy guys – yes, all men – from the upper echelon of the tech investing and hedge-fund world. At least two of them were billionaires.

the CEO of a brokerage house explained that he had nearly completed building his own underground bunker system, and asked: “How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?” The event. That was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, solar storm, unstoppable virus, or malicious computer hack that takes everything down.

one had already secured a dozen Navy Seals to make their way to his compound if he gave them the right cue. But how would he pay the guards once even his crypto was worthless? What would stop the guards from eventually choosing their own leader?

The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival.

Fozzy The Bear has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Sep 6, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CODChimera posted:

shopping bags dont matter

:matters:

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
without any government to stop them, billionaires will literally just enslave people to work in their bunkers

"but how do I prevent my slaves from killing me?"

embed a compliance chip in their brainstem that detects bad thoughts and "corrects" them accordingly. or, give them a drug that suppresses the human desire to be free...
maybe consider nerve stapling? one thing's for sure, you're going to need a punishment sphere in your bunker

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

kater posted:

Farmers are driven to produce as much as possible at all possible times in order to chase ever smaller profits. Dairy farms produce as much milk as possible as consistently as possible, but production far outstrips demand and has for a long time. The dairy lobbies and processed food manufacturing do their best to stuff dairy into as many products as possible (especially cheese - we eat so much more cheese than we used to even 20 years ago thanks to dairy lobbies), but even so, demand for liquid milk has been shrinking pretty dramatically in the past decade in particular.

Also, demand for milk isn't static, and if something even briefly interrupts the expected demand (chain restaurants having reduced hours due to staffing issues/covid/whatever), or if there's a problem with shipping (such as any of the logistics chain having reduced capacity due to covid or diesel prices etc), you can't exactly tell the cows to stop producing milk for a few days. They're going to continue producing the inhumane* quantities of milk they've been selectively bred to produce, and if it can't be processed or used or sold quickly, it gets dumped :shrug:

Dairy farms were producing more milk than we knew what to do with even in pre-covid, "normal" times. The last couple years of disruption to shipping/restaurants/etc have completely thrown any kind of production metrics out the window, and a lot of dairies that might not have been dumping that much excess milk before certainly have been periodically the last couple of years. Large dairies have been trying to figure out how to dispose of excess milk for years though.

*You know how battery hen genetics have been hosed to make them lay eggs every day (at a severe cost to their health), or meat hens grow so quickly that they can't really stand or function normally after 6 weeks? It's pretty similar with dairy cows, especially for American dairy cattle which have become a particular nightmarish hell you'd probably feel guilty about creating in a god game, never mind real life.

Most dairy herds are artificially inseminated using semen that has been carefully selected over time to produce much bigger, hungrier dairy cows that have bigger udders and produce more (and more and more and more and more) milk.

Dairy cow breeding is absolutely bonkers - people demand detailed charts on a dam's udder depth, width and how long her teats are before they'll touch one of her embryos.

Like with most livestock genetics, humanity have pushed things well beyond an animal's capacity to live as a functional being. It's pretty horrific as these giant milk she-hulks are becoming so massive that their spines have problems physically supporting their stupidly massive bodies, they develop mobility issues because their hips struggle to support such deep udders, they can't fit in livestock trucks very well, they stop being able to produce milk after a couple years and in general just have a bunch of health problems because they are just too big, too hungry, and are producing enough milk to feed an entire herd of calves every single day...but hey, at least the farmers are mostly crippled with debt and barely getting by :suicide:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'd been looking for a previous version of this interview for awhile. lmao. Not sure if it's the exact same guys or the same "security expert" they were talking with but it still has my favorite bit right after your quote:

quote:

I tried to reason with them. I made pro-social arguments for partnership and solidarity as the best approaches to our collective, long-term challenges. The way to get your guards to exhibit loyalty in the future was to treat them like friends right now, I explained. Don’t just invest in ammo and electric fences, invest in people and relationships. They rolled their eyes at what must have sounded to them like hippy philosophy.

"We're not here to make friends or lasting bonds, if we could have done that we wouldn't be ultra-weathly parasites. No I think we'll go with the bomb collars"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

D&D climate thread had a big fight over eating meat but because the carbon impact was small compared to energy generation and everyone's feelings were getting real hurt they decided to ban the discussion of eating meat.

To be clear eating animal products accounts for something like 1/5th of global greenhouse gas emissions

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah they ignored methane completely and decided because carbon is small compared to coal it's ok to ban all discussion of meat. Classic summertime D&D.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Fozzy The Bear posted:

proto immortan just can't stop laughing that he got this deluded fatcat to build his future fortress for him and his buds

they'll use his soft pampered body as an entrance trophy/deterrent when the ruse is up

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

TeenageArchipelago posted:

To be clear eating animal products accounts for something like 1/5th of global greenhouse gas emissions

Raising massive amounts of ruminant animals on tightly packed feed lots produces greenhouse gas. Which also forces millions of acres of mono-cropping grain crops to ship to those feed lots, destroying the soil in the process.

If we raised those animals on the amount of land that could support themselves, and use some type of mob grazing, or rotational grazing, our land and environment would improve. I suspect we would have to lower the amount of meat we consume.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Crain posted:

I'd been looking for a previous version of this interview for awhile. lmao. Not sure if it's the exact same guys or the same "security expert" they were talking with but it still has my favorite bit right after your quote:

"We're not here to make friends or lasting bonds, if we could have done that we wouldn't be ultra-weathly parasites. No I think we'll go with the bomb collars"

It's amazing how consistently wealth actively makes individuals dumber. Not even a spare gut neuron popping up and going "hey this idea goes against the most base aspects of social animal nature, monkey brain should panic now", just full speed ahead on maintaining capital's power.

Ensmoothening

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

that's a rewrite of a post from 2018

https://onezero.medium.com/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Raising massive amounts of ruminant animals on tightly packed feed lots produces greenhouse gas. Which also forces millions of acres of mono-cropping grain crops to ship to those feed lots, destroying the soil in the process.

If we raised those animals on the amount of land that could support themselves, and use some type of mob grazing, or rotational grazing, our land and environment would improve. I suspect we would have to lower the amount of meat we consume.

Don't worry, the Soylent Corporation has a solution!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AlecStapp/status/1566797139023462405

does this hold up because it's setting off my Malcolm Gladwell "bad thing actually good" counterintuitive bullshit alarms

SplitSoul posted:

Also I don't know about the quality of that Danish study referenced, as they've since instituted a tax on plastic bags and they're practically gone from supermarkets.

yeah this one came up before and its not really that great of a source.

https://www2.mst.dk/udgiv/publications/2018/02/978-87-93614-73-4.pdf

Trabisnikof posted:

jk there’s English after the clog part.

But it really really looks like they: 1. Assume “biomass” is carbon neutral even though it isn’t, 2. The plastic is made in Denmark. 3. Methane doesn’t exist as a concept.

So they're saying the plastic is good for the climate but not considering methane at all, and also pretending the plastic will be made in Denmark instead of anywhere it would actually be made.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I knew I'd seen it before.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
~100 years of unlimited cheese was totally worth it
https://twitter.com/UberFacts/status/1541834569049116673?s=20&t=itaVqawf3yrZcLRyXOzcuQ

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

That artisan 24 month aged cheddar tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

look at all that water! droughts over boys!