Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bounties are low effort, high reward. Set dungeons are high effort, low reward. At least in bounties you can find special gobbos and shrines randomly.

During my 2nd boss mode attempt I found a menangerist on the way to azmodan and went back and grabbed the pet after. I really, really hate that conquest on switch. I feel like loading time really hurts though maybe it isn't factored in the calculation. Still, it's like 12 min on PC vs 19:59 on console every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bounties suck. Set Dungeons, though, are so much worse.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes set dungeons. I'd be fine if the kill counter wasn't literally every single enemy in the dungeon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every class has at least 1 piss easy set dungeon, so I just save pieces for the six-piece along my normal season journey and quickly get it done whenever I find the time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kheldarn posted:

Bounties suck. Set Dungeons, though, are so much worse.

That's my thoughts.

exquisite tea posted:

Bounties are fine assuming you are capable of making any adjustment for doing them quickly. Even in a public group with 3 MeatSims they're over in like 10 minutes and get you a whole bunch of crafting mats, which become super important to basically every aspect of optimizing your character. They also sometimes lead to fun stuff like bandit shrines and rainbow portals, and it can be a good excuse to play an off-meta build. Some of the bounties are still super lame (Barracks ugh Plague Tunnels double ugh) but that's why you build for speed and do those yourself so that you don't have to wait on someone else's slow-rear end barb to do it instead.

Compared to other things once you're at high torments - I just think the rewards come in too slowly compared to how fast you use them. A full set is like...4-5 reforges, and then you're out again. With 13 slots to try to get to ancient, with at least mostly correct stats.

Compare to how (again, at high level of play) quickly you can get death's breaths and other crafting mats (even the basic stuff - make a 31, gamble rings, pretty quick puzzle rings that way, which gives lots of the rest of the mats).

Still much easier than most ARPGs, sure, and it's not like you need ancient gear to do anything in the season journey, but still.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I don't mind bounties, and at least there's variety. I usually do 30+ at the beginning of the season to get averice. It's a grind but I don't hate it. I usually even stop to do the little quests on the way unless I'm in a real hurry. I will always stop for a cursed chest though. I love them.

When end game becomes "run a thousand rifts so that you can run a slightly more difficult rift" I tap out for the season. The "click button-number go up" dopamine blast just isn't becomes a trickle at that point. Even it's like "bruh"

I'm not a fan of set dungeons. I would never master 5 or whatever in a season. No reward is worth that.

I haven't done an echoing nightmare this season because the group before I play with is only available for like an hour every weekend and I want to save them for them, but I like this addition. Because it cuts down on having to grind grifts, And as I said I do like variety.

The highlight of endgame for me is vaults, and the cow level. (and whimsy dale/shire). This season is great with the ancient vaults. If you could sanctify level 31 rings, I would probably do nothing but ancient vaults.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mainly just like trying different builds and playstyles. I might get one character over grift 100 a season. The rest I just muck around to get to T16 and do stupid poo poo in game.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'll be honest, I enjoy the concept of set dungeons. Little puzzles to figure out, based on how the powers you get change up your abilities. Riddles to even figure out their locations. I don't even totally hate the idea of having to gear down in some of them so as not to obliterate everything because you need to be more precise.

But, man, I do not enjoy actually doing them. If I had to guess, it's probably because they're too disconnected from the rest of the game. There are literally no rewards, which is anathema in this game. Throw something at me for mastering one the first time each season!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

bio347 posted:

I'll be honest, I enjoy the concept of set dungeons. Little puzzles to figure out, based on how the powers you get change up your abilities. Riddles to even figure out their locations. I don't even totally hate the idea of having to gear down in some of them so as not to obliterate everything because you need to be more precise.

But, man, I do not enjoy actually doing them. If I had to guess, it's probably because they're too disconnected from the rest of the game. There are literally no rewards, which is anathema in this game. Throw something at me for mastering one the first time each season!

I didn't start playing Diablo 3 till a couple years ago, were they better when they first came out before there was a bunch of power creep?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just to be clear, we're talking about bounties in the context of knocking a full set out in 15 minutes in a public game right? I can see how one might think they are the absolute worst if doing them solo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Most if not all class sets have been heavily reworked since set dungeons went into the game, which makes their unique gimmicks not especially stimulating. They also don't scale with player power, making it extra frustrating for the challenges where you can't kill everything in 1 hit.

I think it would be more fun if the set dungeons just opened a random rift but all the mobs in there had particular gimmicks meant to challenge you (TR: monsters will only take damage if you alternate elements, Uliana: enemies will only take damage if hit within 4 seconds of a Cyclone Strike, etc). They could be repeatable like normal rifts and even usable in GR for some bonus loot.

RodShaft posted:

I didn't start playing Diablo 3 till a couple years ago, were they better when they first came out before there was a bunch of power creep?

No one has ever liked set dungeons.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

bamhand posted:

Just to be clear, we're talking about bounties in the context of knocking a full set out in 15 minutes in a public game right? I can see how one might think they are the absolute worst if doing them solo.

I usually do them solo, then just pull my son's character in before I claim the rewards. At best it'll be me and him running them. You may mock me now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gotta mock OP for being a good father now.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, in that case bounties are awful. Public games are my go to activity for when I want to catch up on TV.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

They really should have just made the double bounty mats thing permanent from last season. At least then you were getting like 45 mats per bounty.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Was the Sage’s set bonus nerfed this season? Last season I was running it both on my player character and follower, and getting 4x Death’s Breaths per drop, but running it on my wizard and follower so far this season has only got me 2x drops.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The weekly challenge rifts do a good job of keeping some mats topped off while also occasionally running bounties. Thinking about it, I feel the challenge rifts are actually a better version of set dungeons. Both require you to play in a specific way, but at least challenge rifts offer a good reward, they're not super difficult, and they're a good excuse to try weird and exotic builds you'd probably never try on your own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Truly the Diablo gods smile upon my highly specific gimmick build.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

exquisite tea posted:

Truly the Diablo gods smile upon my highly specific gimmick build.

Your ‘highly specific gimmick build’ is LoD Wizard with magic missiles, right?

I'm running something similar (or at least I was 'til my PC died, now I'm shitposting on an old Mac laptop), and I stole your idea for using Primus hat from an earlier post. That work works great by the way, especially with my cowardly strategy of staying as far away as possible from everything and slowing/stunning with a manual cast of slow time.

https://eu.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/Xiani-2236/hero/158096758

I'm using the Unwavering Will passive (stand still for loads of bonuses), which works amazingly well when you hardly ever actually 'move', easily done by just holding down shift & LMB to constantly spam missiles, and only using aether walker teleport to jump around into oculus rings, out of poison/fire/ground poo poo, and through rift as necessary.

Hexing pants would be totally at odds with that, and you're giving up the much better depth diggers damage bonus too. Or am I missing a better way to play this gimmick?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I won't speak for exquisite tea of course, but judging by their spot on the leader board they're using Depth Diggers in the cube and Andariel's as their helm.

That said, I like using Crown of the Primus too. I'm not big on Hexing Pants and the Slow Times are pretty useful. They've put a lot more time and effort into the build than I have, though.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 7, 2022

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I've noticed the Act 1 and 2 bounties are way easier than Act 3/4/5 ones, is there any reason to do the latter ones? I'm only doing them mostly to see if cool legendary recipes drop for my Wizard, are some recipes Act exclusives?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

frajaq posted:

I've noticed the Act 1 and 2 bounties are way easier than Act 3/4/5 ones, is there any reason to do the latter ones? I'm only doing them mostly to see if cool legendary recipes drop for my Wizard, are some recipes Act exclusives?

I believe there’s crafting mats that only drop from certain act bounties.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Each act's caches have a different type of crafting material in them (and each act has a different pool of legendaries that drop from them, except act 4 which has the grab bag of every other act's legendaries). Reforging with the cube uses 5 of each act's material, and most of the useful crafted gear requires 2 specific acts' mats, which varies on an item-by-item basis.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FFS

First time I've ever cubed a Primal.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

FFS

First time I've ever cubed a Primal.

I would have thrown it on my follower

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I would have followered it or wear it proudly on my farm set where the power curve isn't as important

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

xiansi posted:

Your ‘highly specific gimmick build’ is LoD Wizard with magic missiles, right?

I'm running something similar (or at least I was 'til my PC died, now I'm shitposting on an old Mac laptop), and I stole your idea for using Primus hat from an earlier post. That work works great by the way, especially with my cowardly strategy of staying as far away as possible from everything and slowing/stunning with a manual cast of slow time.

https://eu.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/profile/Xiani-2236/hero/158096758

I'm using the Unwavering Will passive (stand still for loads of bonuses), which works amazingly well when you hardly ever actually 'move', easily done by just holding down shift & LMB to constantly spam missiles, and only using aether walker teleport to jump around into oculus rings, out of poison/fire/ground poo poo, and through rift as necessary.

Hexing pants would be totally at odds with that, and you're giving up the much better depth diggers damage bonus too. Or am I missing a better way to play this gimmick?

You would cube Depth Diggers and wear the Hexing Pants, in that case.

I think Primus is a strong option too, and in a hypothetical GR pushing build would probably be superior for LoD Missile because of the 25% DR. But unfortunately MM lacks the kind of multipliers to really solo that far above GR120, so I think Hexing Pants are the best choice for what this build is good at, which is wildly mashing the shift key while moving left to right en route to victory. In each slot it kind of works out that you're trading around ~20% damage for survivability, so a piece that gives you 25% more damage ends up coming out slightly ahead.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm enjoying UE Multi DH, but man is it S L O W. After playing GOD, Twirlwhind, and WhirlRend, it's... just... so... slow.

Meanwhile, RNG is being a bitch, and refuses to give me Dawn or Wraps Of Clarity. I suppose it's what I get for cubing that Primal RORG. :argh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You can get a pretty silly amount of movement speed with it. The fear ring, the green belt, warz bracers, etc. And of course drifting shadow or whatever it's called on strafe, the passives like tactical advantage and hot pursuit and then some of the shadow skills add movement speed. The damage is more than fine for T16 but I wouldn't bother using it for GRs above like 80-90 speeds. Shadow takes over at that point where you can sustain enough hatred.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
MS DH can get up to something like 450% movement speed, basically so fast that it becomes hard to not constantly kill your movement from running into walls. So fast that when I build it I intentionally cap my movement speed at less than what the build is capable of just to make it easier to handle.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

You can get a pretty silly amount of movement speed with it. The fear ring, the green belt, warz bracers, etc. And of course drifting shadow or whatever it's called on strafe, the passives like tactical advantage and hot pursuit and then some of the shadow skills add movement speed. The damage is more than fine for T16 but I wouldn't bother using it for GRs above like 80-90 speeds. Shadow takes over at that point where you can sustain enough hatred.

Dameius posted:

MS DH can get up to something like 450% movement speed, basically so fast that it becomes hard to not constantly kill your movement from running into walls. So fast that when I build it I intentionally cap my movement speed at less than what the build is capable of just to make it easier to handle.

Apparently, I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for the tips!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Apparently, I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for the tips!

You'll need to look up the ms% variants of the build and like all alt builds, the more you build into it the more you sacrifice damage output. But like Suburban Dad said, you'll be fine for cruise control to cool on bounties and t16 rifts.

Its been awhile since I've done it and I'm too lazy to look it up real fast for reference, but if I remember right besides the skill tweaks, its something like 4 pieces you're swapping out to make the max ms% possible and I'll usually do half that, which ever give me the least DPS penalty and that'll net you around +200-+250% movement.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

I just scraped together the DH multishot strafe build and it's a pretty nice change of pace from the Wiz Tal Rasha meteor spam. It's nice to just hold one button and blow things up, though what are the best options to make it move fast AF in grifts?

Build this set for farming keys/bounties.
https://youtu.be/eC5p1z_V7Lc

It's amazing. I'm running 2 minute nephilim riffs with a very similar build: I swapped Captain crimson's for broken crown, but you could put that on your follower. I just play with my son too much to customize a follower for anything other than grift push. And I swapped out the focus restraint for averice ring and obsidian Ring of the zodiac so that I can drop Dawn from the cube and throw in echoing fury.

There's a million ways to build it basically and he goes over a bunch of them in the video.

Also, I got my averice and immediately set about crafting this...

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Echoing nightmares is such a good addition. I'm actually augmenting this season and it's making me actually tempted to push for leaderboards again, which I haven't done in like 7 years.

Plus if you have a good crew those gob shrines poo poo out mats like nothing else. If only my crafting and drops would improve... Need better ancients to augment.

Crucibles take the pressure off of finding the perfect weapon, which has helped a lot. Great season. I really hope they do a crazy season where they bring back all the gimmicks at once before D4.

I wanna have a shot at a solo 150 without being an obsessive min-maxer botter.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

Echoing nightmares is such a good addition. I'm actually augmenting this season and it's making me actually tempted to push for leaderboards again, which I haven't done in like 7 years.

Plus if you have a good crew those gob shrines poo poo out mats like nothing else. If only my crafting and drops would improve... Need better ancients to augment.

Crucibles take the pressure off of finding the perfect weapon, which has helped a lot. Great season. I really hope they do a crazy season where they bring back all the gimmicks at once before D4.

I wanna have a shot at a solo 150 without being an obsessive min-maxer botter.

I just did GR121 with my DH and I'm just the worst at min/maxing and haven't augmented anything yet. It's probs the highest I've ever gone. I'm not sure how far augmenting everything will get me, but everything's already ancient with not ideal roles.

Also if you want a laugh I was using the crit rune instead of the fire rune until like a day ago because it looked like a fire and I don't read things.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

made a mistake with playing a Barbarian this first time with a D3 season, got that lvl 70 set build around Whirlwind/Rend, but have no idea how to sustain the Fury for it :goleft:

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

frajaq posted:

made a mistake with playing a Barbarian this first time with a D3 season, got that lvl 70 set build around Whirlwind/Rend, but have no idea how to sustain the Fury for it :goleft:

easy way is to use the Bul-Kathos set weapons, +15 fury generation. there's also the passive that generates fury every second

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

You can use the whirlwind rune that gives you resources for hitting things too, I'm pretty sure I couldn't switch that out until I had the BK blades but it's been a couple years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there a goon Discord or anything for D3? There's basically nobody in the in-game LLJK chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
https://discord.gg/kqcT4ht3

Good for 7 days