Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

veni veni veni posted:

I’m honestly just curious about seeing the original cast return [in Jurassic Park 6]

They don't really do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

There's good trash and there's bad trash. Watch Carnosaur instead. If you've seen that, watch Tammy and the T-Rex. If you've seen that, watch Theodore Rex. If you've seen that, watch Baby. If you've seen that, watch The Dinosaur Project. If you've seen that, watch the Mario Bros. movie. If you've seen that, watch...

Saving this for later

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Upsidads posted:

9 episodes i hear

This is correct but I stand by D+ shows being poorly paced :colbert:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://collider.com/best-a24-movies-just-added-to-hbo-max/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wolfsheim posted:

This is correct but I stand by D+ shows being poorly paced :colbert:

They’re only like 15 min long tho

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ex Machina is on HBO Max now

I consider it the only faithful adaptation of My Fair Lady’s original play, Pygmalion

Shaw was big on women’s rights (suffrage was a hot topic at the time)

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Steve Yun posted:

Ex Machina is on HBO Max now

I consider it the only faithful adaptation of My Fair Lady’s original play, Pygmalion

Shaw was big on women’s rights (suffrage was a hot topic at the time)

Owns.

Also, holy poo poo -- I was not prepared for Top Gun Maverick. It's been awhile since I've seen such a nakedly mawkish display. It's like a B-movie war drama from the 40s with diverse casting and top shelf stunts and effects. I actually got overwhelmed by the emotional manipulation and had to step away for a second.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Can't wait to see the new ending when Ex Machina: The Musical comes to broadway

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hope Arnold and Danny Glover gave Amber Midthunder a thumbs up for kicking the poo poo out of that dumbass Eric Trump predator

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Modern Leper posted:

Owns.

Also, holy poo poo -- I was not prepared for Top Gun Maverick. It's been awhile since I've seen such a nakedly mawkish display. It's like a B-movie war drama from the 40s with diverse casting and top shelf stunts and effects. I actually got overwhelmed by the emotional manipulation and had to step away for a second.

I was very upset that they cast Manny Jacinto and gave him 0 lines in the entire movie, but yeah, I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Is it streaming somewhere yet?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Thoroughly enjoying the lotr show

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

McCloud posted:

Chiming in to say that the first episode of rings of power looked great, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see a show that puts some effort into looking good.

All it took was throwing a billion dollars at it to get a good looking TV show.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nihonniboku posted:

I was very upset that they cast Manny Jacinto and gave him 0 lines in the entire movie, but yeah, I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Is it streaming somewhere yet?

VOD on Amazon and Google, at least.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

A MIRACLE posted:

Thoroughly enjoying the lotr show

Same but I am not learning any of these names lol

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I suspect it'll get noticeably cheaper looking in season 2 as the budget devouring result of moving the production from NZ to Europe

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

I hope Arnold and Danny Glover gave Amber Midthunder a thumbs up for kicking the poo poo out of that dumbass Eric Trump predator

Dunno about Arnold and Danny, but Jesse Ventura and Bill Duke gave her enthusiastic props.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

mcmagic posted:

That's generally how it works yes.

I'm enjoying it so far. Agreeing with wolf though these names are pretty ridiculous

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Aren’t most of the names lifted from tolkiens old books. I had the illustrated guide to Tolkien as a kid and recognized almost all of them at least I thought

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rings of power is beautiful and definitely the highest budget tv show I've ever seen.

It's also incredibly forgettable to me, and I already have forgotten every new characters names. The pacing isn't great and the overall acting while good feels... awkward?

Still good, but nothing I think is going to have GoT level appeal.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Better investment than sending Bezos to space in a dick-ship again. Unless it's a one way trip that is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
After ep 2 of LOTR I'm all in. That was great. Feels like it's got direction and momentum.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Patient on Hulu is great.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Rings of power is not awful, which a good bar to clear.

Newest Jurassic world movie is unbelievably bad. Just a string of groany coincidences, poo poo fan service and mindmelding dinosaurs. How did anyone agree on that script.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dern, Neill and Goldblum seemed like they were happy for the paychecks and that was about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

The JW movie was bad, but I thought the last one was at least kinda interesting.

I think it says something that even mainstream all-ages blockbusters are showing us hypercapitalist dystopias. What it says specifically I have no idea

Capitalism has finally monetized the "Capitalism sucks" movement

i'm not kidding, that's what's going on

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

precision posted:

Capitalism has finally monetized the "Capitalism sucks" movement

i'm not kidding, that's what's going on

Finally? Let me remind you of all the people who have been wearing Che Guevara shirts for decades.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Col. Tom Parker was way ahead of his time with his "I hate Elvis" buttons

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Finally? Let me remind you of all the people who have been wearing Che Guevara shirts for decades.

oh poo poo, you're right. lmao. i remember that.

also, Elvis loving slaps. Tom Hanks is so ridiculous, it's amazing

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was kind of shocked at the hate Rings of Power was getting online since I thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't say it is good as HoD so far (that 3rd episode of HoD was great), but it is above other fantasy like The Witcher and WoT (both I do like a lot). I thought this was some anti-Amazon aka anti-Bezos thing at first, but I was reading some YT comments (always a mistake) and kept seeing the word woke. Now it all makes sense to me. I just googled HoD + woke due to it's cast and I see some blowback too, but nowhere near as the blowback from RoP (Ringers of Power woke garbage was one of the suggestions).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

the new game of thrones was really good. it was like a full movie

mystes
May 31, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I was kind of shocked at the hate Rings of Power was getting online since I thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't say it is good as HoD so far (that 3rd episode of HoD was great), but it is above other fantasy like The Witcher and WoT (both I do like a lot). I thought this was some anti-Amazon aka anti-Bezos thing at first, but I was reading some YT comments (always a mistake) and kept seeing the word woke. Now it all makes sense to me. I just googled HoD + woke due to it's cast and I see some blowback too, but nowhere near as the blowback from RoP (Ringers of Power woke garbage was one of the suggestions).
It's amazing how upset chuds are that there are black people in a lotr tv show

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

I saw a good tweet that was something like, "What is the word for when you think the inclusion of women and people of color makes something bad?"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

nate fisher posted:

Yeah there's a lot of idiots on the internet and one of their classic gathering places is the YT comment section.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I think that’s part of it but if you read the SA thread there are also a lot of tolkienheads mad about lore stuff. Seems like the characterizations of Galadriel, Celebrion and Elrond are among the top complaints, all of which are white characters.

I’m lucky enough to not remember the movies at all so I don’t care how accurate it is, although it is confusing at times. I had to Google what the whole deal was with the ship at the end of episode 1.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Starks posted:

I think that’s part of it but if you read the SA thread there are also a lot of tolkienheads mad about lore stuff. Seems like the characterizations of Galadriel, Celebrion and Elrond are among the top complaints, all of which are white characters.

I’m lucky enough to not remember the movies at all so I don’t care how accurate it is, although it is confusing at times. I had to Google what the whole deal was with the ship at the end of episode 1.

This is all stuff that happens pre-books though right? And, as far as I know, is based off of more encyclopedic works instead of narrative things. So I'm interested to know what they're basing their complaints about the characterizations off of. I could be definitely wrong too. I have a coworker who absolutely will not watch them. A huge Tolkien nerd and won't even give them a chance. Just straight up says he saw enough of the pre-production press to know he won't like it which seems... dog whistle-y.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

My understanding is that it is based on general Tolkien vibes and they explicitly cannot use any of the stories from the source material.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pseudorandom name posted:

My understanding is that it is based on general Tolkien vibes and they explicitly cannot use any of the stories from the source material.

Oh? That'd be odd if that's true since they've been talking about a lot how they are working very closely with the Tolkien estate on creating the show.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, you'd want to make people think your product is authentic if you're legally prohibited from using any of the rights that have been sold to other companies.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think the deal is it cannot connect in any way with the original film or Hobbit trilogy, which is so bizarre. The composer came back to do the theme and you can tell he dropped some OG hints in that theme, plus the general vibe.

Streamed lately:

The LOTR show is great so far, as is House of the Dragon.

Nope was one of the best movies this year.

I'm the number one Jurassic Park fan on Earth and Jurassic World Dominion was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

pseudorandom name posted:

It's based off of the appendices of LotR and they can't use anything from the The Silmarillion.