Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Even just with duals in limited I've seen people get massively owned by the autotapper, multiple times in a game.

thinking of my cube draft the other day where autotapper left up field of the dead while tapping my only 2 red sources for the first half of bonecrusher while i had exactly 5 mana to spare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
3-3 with this one, think I went a little too greedy with the blue splash and ended a few games with blue cards I couldn't cast in hand

Also a distinct lack of value plays in the deck it's mostly just play big creatures and turn sideways, which means getting 1 for 1'd can be real bad.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Eej posted:

3-3 with this one, think I went a little too greedy with the blue splash and ended a few games with blue cards I couldn't cast in hand

Also a distinct lack of value plays in the deck it's mostly just play big creatures and turn sideways, which means getting 1 for 1'd can be real bad.

Yeah, having the blue gave you some air presence but it probably wasn't worth it. Kavu for drake and viashino for pixie. I'm torn on the battlemage, it is very good but your top end either has menace, trample or can't be blocked by creatures with less than 2 power so your opponent would have a tough time trying to stall the game out with chump blocks.
Just my opinion.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

when does the secret get out on Necromass so my opponents don't always have 3+ of them in draft?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

when does the secret get out on Necromass so my opponents don't always have 3+ of them in draft?

Lords of limited were talking it up big time on their ep released yesterday so probably about now

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

also if you're sick of mono b, you can do your part as the fun police by playing Alis sick Mardu pile that literally farms MonoB (and scoops to the field)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
God Sheoldred is just such a stonewall against aggro.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Went 6-3 with grixis spells and it was nutty. 2/3 losses were hitting a huge land pocket early to mid game but I think was able to steal a game with squee and exactly enough cards to escape after cutting down my opponents 3/2 blocker. They could have had two blockers but they wanted to get in 1 point of spider damage.

Is the combination of fixing, slightly overlapping archetypes and good removal making this a fun limited environment.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone looking for something new to do in Explorer, Gobs is being pretty kind to me over the past couple of days.

https://mtgazone.com/deck/explorer-boros-goblins-by-cunicoligoblin-56-mythic-september-2022-ranked-season/

The format's removal right now is VERY 1-for-1 heavy, so you're pretty resilient to Rakdos. Four Skalds is probably heavy, but I keep beating control decks so maybe it just isn't.

Skalds plus Icon plus Hordemaster gives you a ton of bounceback, and Battle Cry Goblin is your wincon more often than not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
imo this is the funnest daft format since Strix

Sealed is kind of wack though. literally nothing but nonsense Domain decks

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Huxley posted:

Anyone looking for something new to do in Explorer, Gobs is being pretty kind to me over the past couple of days.

https://mtgazone.com/deck/explorer-boros-goblins-by-cunicoligoblin-56-mythic-september-2022-ranked-season/

The format's removal right now is VERY 1-for-1 heavy, so you're pretty resilient to Rakdos. Four Skalds is probably heavy, but I keep beating control decks so maybe it just isn't.

Skalds plus Icon plus Hordemaster gives you a ton of bounceback, and Battle Cry Goblin is your wincon more often than not.

I have questions, why no snoops, war chiefs or krenko and 24 lands?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

I have questions, why no snoops, war chiefs or krenko and 24 lands?

I just stole the list, but I think it's a meta choice.

Probably 60% of the decks you play are trying to Fatal Push, untap, Graveyard Trespasser (or Fable or Greasefang etc). Snoop, Krenko and Warchief all get eaten up in this game, but Fodder and Outburst make their spot removal just worse enough that you can play a fair game. Like, you Outburst for 3, they hold push for a lord, then you play one of your non-creature lords and they are forced to push a token just to avoid trading their 3/3 into a wall of 2/2s. You still have to beat that Push, but every turn they don't cast it, you're getting wider and they're thinking about the 2-of Meathook in their sideboard (that's probably still too slow).

All of those cards are better in a meta we just aren't facing right now. If the meta was 60% Deafening Clarion and Chainwhirler, but that's not what it is.

e: The land count is because you want to be able to cast 3 spells (or two spells and activate Battle Cry Goblin) the turn after you play Showdown or the turn after they wrath Hoardmaster. You're surprisingly resilient to wraths (your non-creature lords help) but all that bounceback depends on you having 4-6 lands the turn after they sweep you.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 6, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I like the domain mechanic enough and since kickers are off-color anyways I'm just gonna blow my wildcards on Triomes.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I haven't been able to play much in the last few days, but from watching streams, it looks like 90% of standard is that mono black deck. I have seen 1 post asking if Sheoldred deserves a ban. This is that deck that pops up and just dominates the first week or 2 of standard. Do not dump wildcards into it, it will disappear so completely that its like it never existed in a few weeks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been randomly watching Jim Davis's standard videos and every time Sheoldred shows up he instantly dies, it's almost comedic at this point

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1c03ca22ba1d408598f8a56eaa21f3d0

Looking for deck building input and draft advice. Reviewing the draft there may have been a better Simic/Bant deck open on the board. I definitely drafted too many 3 drops which is making deck construction a challenge. In terms of a deck I think this Mardu version has more potential than pure Rakdos aggro. The game plan would be to go wide, get cheap Phalanxes and combo Lagomos/Aron for +1/+1 counter recursion. 17/6 creatures/spells, 2.7 curve, so maybe could cut to 16 lands?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A Moose posted:

I have seen 1 post asking if Sheoldred deserves a ban.

Was it from a poster who always whines for a ban whenever they lose to a card? Some people are just like that.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't usually remember who posts anything unless it was particularly egregious, but I remember this happening in Eldraine standard with Dance of the Manse too. I forgot what some of the other week 1 standouts have been in other sets, but that was was dominating and had people calling for bans before never being seen again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lmao there were so many people posting on Twitter about how Ob Nixilis should be banned and that was a real wet fart

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

everyone is playing the monob deck because it doesnt need rare lands and is mostly old cards while every other deck needs like 16 rare lands alone on top of everything else. people think its strong because discarding feels bad and its everywhere and maybe it is but its also like day 5 of the format

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

meanwhile ive been trying to make uw work in standard and it just doesnt it sucks so so bad but that wont stop me from trying against every single other deck playing 4 fables and 4 trespassers

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m betting black will continue to be strong throughout standard. The cards not the mono black deck specifically

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
dropping sheoldred turn 4 breaks basically any aggro strategy that doesn't have destroy/exile based removal or a 5/x body, but then, so do most board wipes so eh. Bo1 aggro always has bad matches, doubly so on the draw.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Sheoldred is good and strong and my friend. Glory to Phyrexia.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

everyone is playing the monob deck because it doesnt need rare lands and is mostly old cards while every other deck needs like 16 rare lands alone on top of everything else. people think its strong because discarding feels bad and its everywhere and maybe it is but its also like day 5 of the format
My approach to deckbuilding in general and monoblack in particular is "think of the cards that I absolutely hate to see my opponents play, then put those cards in my deck".

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 6, 2022

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

precision posted:

imo this is the funnest daft format since Strix

Sealed is kind of wack though. literally nothing but nonsense Domain decks

Yeah the last few sets I’ve gone pretty hard on sealed the first weekend or two. trad sealed in kamigawa and baldurs gate in particular felt like a machine I could whack and make gems fall out.

No real urge to do that here. it’s just 5c nonsense and whoever can feature the most busted rares wins. I know a lot of people feel that “open good cards” is the trick to sealed in every set, and in general I think people put too much emphasis on that. but it seems very true here.

A lot of times, knowing “that rare is a bomb but I 100% cannot support that color with these commons/uncommons” is key in sealed. Running fodder commons or trying to greed splash a color will lose more games than it wins. But you can basically always play any color here.

It’s not just the duals and widely available fixing, it’s the fact that decks other than “5c soup” are very synergy based in this format, and in sealed you don’t get to lean into those. Like maybe you pulled the white wall that makes birds, but you almost certainly didn’t get enough good walls (and especially shield-wall sentinels) to make that worth pursuing. So just try and play 5 of your 6 rares instead.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A Moose posted:

I don't usually remember who posts anything unless it was particularly egregious, but I remember this happening in Eldraine standard with Dance of the Manse too. I forgot what some of the other week 1 standouts have been in other sets, but that was was dominating and had people calling for bans before never being seen again.

Gyruda was everywhere first week of Ikoria standard then dropped off the face of the earth.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Gyruda was everywhere first week of Ikoria standard then dropped off the face of the earth.

True, but that was at least as much due to the companion rule change. Ramping to 6 and hitting at least 1 Spark Double was kinda funny and not a bad board position for turn 4. making it cost 9 was too much though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

True, but that was at least as much due to the companion rule change. Ramping to 6 and hitting at least 1 Spark Double was kinda funny and not a bad board position for turn 4. making it cost 9 was too much though.

My memory might be off but I felt Gyruda fell off way before the rule change.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

My memory might be off but I felt Gyruda fell off way before the rule change.

Might be. I guess I don't remember that well either. It was definitely a week 1 stand out I guess. Ikoria came out May 15, and the rule change was june 1

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

love sealed, nothing but lovely unplayable rares

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

brugroffil posted:

love sealed, nothing but lovely unplayable rares

At least with a 1-3 draft you can reflect on your own bad decisions instead of being at the whim of sealed luck.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MasterBuilder posted:

At least with a 1-3 draft you can reflect on your own bad decisions instead of being at the whim of sealed luck.

I'll crack sealed once per set and then be reminded why I hate it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

Might be. I guess I don't remember that well either. It was definitely a week 1 stand out I guess. Ikoria came out May 15, and the rule change was june 1

It was out on Arena a month before that, I have 17lands logs from mid April. There were bigtime supply chain issues at the start of covid lockdowns that delayed paper release outside of Asia, I think? So there were a lot of results online before people even got hands on the cards.

But yeah people have freakouts about every single card that looks remotely playable in the first four days of grinders slopping it up on Arena ladder, some of them post in this thread. I'll wait to see what the pros actually do with the cards if/when there's an event that good players are at (ie, NOT crokeyz).

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Trying to re-make my Rakdos Sac deck in new standard; here's my current attempt:

Deck
2 Sokenzan Smelter (NEO) 164
7 Mountain (HBG) 304
7 Swamp (HBG) 300
4 Haunted Ridge (MID) 263
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
3 Sengir Connoisseur (DMU) 104
4 Hungry for More (MID) 228
2 Experimental Synthesizer (NEO) 138
2 Eaten Alive (MID) 99
4 Goldhound (SNC) 108
4 Body Dropper (SNC) 168
3 The Meathook Massacre (MID) 112
2 Ob Nixilis, the Adversary (SNC) 206
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
2 Tramway Station (SNC) 258
2 Field of Ruin (MID) 262
4 Oni-Cult Anvil (NEO) 230
2 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107

Feel a bit like I'm pulling it in two directions, with the Smelter, Anvil & Synthesizer on one side, and the Body Droppers, Sengir Connoisseurs & Hungry for More on the other, but the latter need the sac fodder of the former. Fable's just too good value to leave out, even though I sort of hate it.

Feels a little light on spells - I don't think card draws are going to be as useful as Deadly Dispute was. Goldhounds aren't a great replacement for Shambling Ghasts either, but I think better than Unlucky Witness.

Playing around with the idea of adding in some Burn Down the Houses and more Eaten Alives / Infernal Grasps, but not sure what I'd cut for them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am guilty of playing monoB. Invoke Despair is just so drat good.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I love MonoB. I am playing MonoB while I gather up the rares I need for this set. But. I want a MonoB/Rakdos meta beater deck right now.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Clean Your Teeth posted:

Trying to re-make my Rakdos Sac deck in new standard; here's my current attempt:

Deck
2 Sokenzan Smelter (NEO) 164
7 Mountain (HBG) 304
7 Swamp (HBG) 300
4 Haunted Ridge (MID) 263
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
3 Sengir Connoisseur (DMU) 104
4 Hungry for More (MID) 228
2 Experimental Synthesizer (NEO) 138
2 Eaten Alive (MID) 99
4 Goldhound (SNC) 108
4 Body Dropper (SNC) 168
3 The Meathook Massacre (MID) 112
2 Ob Nixilis, the Adversary (SNC) 206
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
2 Tramway Station (SNC) 258
2 Field of Ruin (MID) 262
4 Oni-Cult Anvil (NEO) 230
2 Infernal Grasp (MID) 107

Feel a bit like I'm pulling it in two directions, with the Smelter, Anvil & Synthesizer on one side, and the Body Droppers, Sengir Connoisseurs & Hungry for More on the other, but the latter need the sac fodder of the former. Fable's just too good value to leave out, even though I sort of hate it.

Feels a little light on spells - I don't think card draws are going to be as useful as Deadly Dispute was. Goldhounds aren't a great replacement for Shambling Ghasts either, but I think better than Unlucky Witness.

Playing around with the idea of adding in some Burn Down the Houses and more Eaten Alives / Infernal Grasps, but not sure what I'd cut for them.

The Pioneer version of this deck cuts the anvils because there just aren't enough artifacts to make it work. It also plays Unlucky Witness, that card is pretty good. Bear in mind that if it dies on your opponent's turn, you have until the end of YOUR turn to play the cards. Of course it also can rely on cat oven and mayhem devil, and man lands to close games, as well as a Jegantha out of the sideboard. In standard, there aren't as many benefits to sacrificing creatures so you're better off just going midrange with Braids and Sheoldred and more kill spells and blood tokens.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Woo, 7-2 finally. Somehow never cast the Outrider. Strike Team won me two games though. The tramplers put in a ton of work.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
e:nvm

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Clean Your Teeth posted:

I feel like this deck might actually be a useful home for the recurring cultist guy.
The artifiact version would rather run another synthesizer or epicure, and he is too weak for the midrange version.