Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

lol cool patch that american's got there

Is that a sombrero on that SS death's head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

yeah, he has a bigger one on his helmet that you see later. I'm gonna guess he's some 4chan neonazi

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hyperlynx posted:

I wonder how it'll affect things back on the Korean Peninsula if/when DPRK equipment turns out to be as dogshit as Russian equipment has.

It won't. No one is under any illusions North Korea can win a war, the questions are how much damage can they do before they go down (real nice Seoul and Tokyo you got there, shame if anything atoms-related were to happen to them) and if China would get involved (I suspect as much as they don't want a unified Korea on their border they wouldn't be willing to fight over it, but it's a risk). Everyone already knows North Korea's military is barely functional. Russia is different since it was assumed their military was a serious world contender until they decided to show everyone otherwise.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Grand Fromage posted:

It won't. No one is under any illusions North Korea can win a war, the questions are how much damage can they do before they go down (real nice Seoul and Tokyo you got there, shame if anything atoms-related were to happen to them) and if China would get involved (I suspect as much as they don't want a unified Korea on their border they wouldn't be willing to fight over it, but it's a risk). Everyone already knows North Korea's military is barely functional. Russia is different since it was assumed their military was a serious world contender until they decided to show everyone otherwise.

NK's nukes are one thing, but they had a very well-developed CBR program well before they hit the Yahtzee.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

yeah, he has a bigger one on his helmet that you see later. I'm gonna guess he's some 4chan neonazi

There's sadly no shortage of that type of imagery on either side in this war.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

That makes sense. Thanks, that was insightful

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

NK's nukes are one thing, but they had a very well-developed CBR program well before they hit the Yahtzee.

Not sure that community based rehabilitation is going to help you play board games, to be honest.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

ekuNNN posted:

lol cool patch that american's got there

Mein Dios!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Not to mention that attempting to fix all the problems north of the DMZ would be more damaging to South Korea’s economy and social safety net than anything else NK could do to them short of dropping a Fat Man on Seoul.

Reunification is a feel good post scarcity dream of a talking point. Given a reality where capital driven economics is no longer a factor and you can just materialize a trillion dollars a year to pump into a united Korea, sure, but capitalism won’t ever allow that, so it unfortunately won’t happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Not to mention that attempting to fix all the problems north of the DMZ would be more damaging to South Korea’s economy and social safety net than anything else NK could do to them short of dropping a Fat Man on Seoul.

Reunification is a feel good post scarcity dream of a talking point. Given a reality where capital driven economics is no longer a factor and you can just materialize a trillion dollars a year to pump into a united Korea, sure, but capitalism won’t ever allow that, so it unfortunately won’t happen.

SK has no interest in reunification, but they do have a plan for it if it happened and it's basically to keep the north as a separate colonial possession administered by SK and cheap workforce for the chaebols. North Koreans wouldn't be allowed to cross the border until the north is sufficiently developed to re-integrate without destroying the country, which conveniently is not up to them.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

A.o.D. posted:

Can someone ID the patch on his helmet? It looked like the US flag combined with something yellow. Phone posting otherwise I'd post a screenshot.

Say NK is going to sell artillery munition to Russia, I guess SK will pay extra attention to the war and see what information they can glean off

EDIT: Ah, looks like it's just an American flag spliced with the Ukrainian

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 7, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If anyone has listened to any Darknet Diaries episode about state-sponsored hacking and how most of it leads back to North Korea, then they’d recognize that this is the closest thing that DPRK has come to participation in the “legitimate” global economy for a long time. Pretty much all they have is weapons trafficking, drugs trafficking and cyber crime at this point.

I'm not up to date, I probably haven't listened to every episode, and security is not my realm of computer touching, but the "state sponsored hacking" eps I've listened to all deal with Israel*, not DPRK.

Edit: * not sure it's state sponsored but a couple of Israeli companies love to sell tools to authoritarian governments.

highme fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 7, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

highme posted:

I'm not up to date, I probably haven't listened to every episode, and security is not my realm of computer touching, but the "state sponsored hacking" eps I've listened to all deal with Israel*, not DPRK.

Edit: * not sure it's state sponsored but a couple of Israeli companies love to sell tools to authoritarian governments.

Mossad does Mossad things online because it's powerful and convenient when you're the Mossad. DPRK does Discount Mossad things online because ransomware payouts and rugpulls can be turned into food and coal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1567464762098814983?s=20&t=lDrq412cSvDDy97qSQw6zQ

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
most state sponsored hacking absolutely, categorically does not trace back to north korea, that sounds like a significant (I'm guessing) misinterpretation of something else or a much more specific statement that was not meant to apply so broadly (eg most in x industry in y region, which is possible).

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Lots of talk this morning of a small Ukrainian breakthrough on the Izyum axis which has encircled the garrison of Balakiya.

Apparently the Russians have no reserves in this area since everything was punted south to Kherson.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1567395435685216256

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1567459059527290882?s=20&t=P96Mrg0S-0Kc0bhoDFYU6w

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 7, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This feels like a pretty big deal for Ukraine. It's a big message that there's not going to be a frozen conflict if Russia can't generate sufficient forces to stabilise the frontline and Ukraine is agile enough to punish them where they take risk.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

I also wonder if it’ll actually help the Russian war effort. It seems like DPRK understands that the US and ROK have mapped every inch of the Korean Peninsula for counterbattery fire, and that the survivability of their guns involves them being highly mobile and getting off the X before the retaliatory rounds arrive. I don’t know if Russia has internalized that and even if they have whether they can integrate that into how their troops are fighting this war.

If they're shipping Koksan artillery (the most powerful guns in the North Korean arsenal), they are designed as "first strike" weapons - North Korea's deterrence before they developed nukes, a surprise 170mm artillery barrage turning Seoul into a flaming ruin. The thing is, they only fire 1-2 rounds every 5 minutes, so they would not be terribly effective in Ukraine. North Korea has 400 Koksans and almost certainly will not sell them all (if they sell any) as they are the longest range and most destructive weapons in the North Korean arsenal (short of missiles and nukes).

If they're NOT shipping Koksans, they're probably shipping 152mm howitzers, which are Korean War-era guns but probably still work, and North Korea has about 500 of them.

North Korea has about 250 BM21 Grad MRLS and 50 BM24s but they're almost certainly not sending those. They love rockets too much.

Source: this RAND study from 2020 which is pretty authoritative. https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RRA600/RRA619-1/RAND_RRA619-1.pdf

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The more things change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJ-3T7K9rE

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

If anyone has listened to any Darknet Diaries episode about state-sponsored hacking and how most of it leads back to North Korea, then they’d recognize that this is the closest thing that DPRK has come to participation in the “legitimate” global economy for a long time. Pretty much all they have is weapons trafficking, drugs trafficking and cyber crime at this point.

I also wonder if it’ll actually help the Russian war effort. It seems like DPRK understands that the US and ROK have mapped every inch of the Korean Peninsula for counterbattery fire, and that the survivability of their guns involves them being highly mobile and getting off the X before the retaliatory rounds arrive. I don’t know if Russia has internalized that and even if they have whether they can integrate that into how their troops are fighting this war.

what where are you getting the idea the NKs doctrine is highly mobile guns?

their approach to counter battery fire has been to spend decades digging artillery deep into mountains. maybe something changed in the last decade or so, but I'd be very surprised if they did a 180 on that

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1567622172444590087

What in the ungodly gently caress is going on in Ukraine

Russians are getting just absolutely pantsed :psyduck:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Unless something historically unusual is happening we should expect Ukrainian losses several times higher, correct?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

slurm posted:

Unless something historically unusual is happening we should expect Ukrainian losses several times higher, correct?

From the sound of it the Ukrainians are taking about the losses you would expect near Kherson where they're attacking VDV and other Russian regulars who were expecting them.

Near Kharkiv/Izyum it looks like they've just been blowing through LNR/DNR conscripts and Russian riot police. I don't think even the pro-Russian telegram channels have been claiming significant Ukrainian losses there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

as I said a couple days ago, idk what's going on but A LOT of videos of russian armor blowing up are being generated

also doesn't seem to be slowing down yet

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
to be less vague, among other things, Ukrainian forces pushed through a Russian held village and instead of stopping there just kept going and apparently pushed a couple villages farther up the highway that also was the main supply line for the russian forces in the area

E:
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1567459059527290882?s=20&t=vC-aGBVjOmGd07GT8BIIVw

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Herstory Begins Now posted:

to be less vague, among other things, Ukrainian forces pushed through a Russian held village and instead of stopping there just kept going and apparently pushed a couple villages farther up the highway that also was the main supply line for the russian forces in the area

E:
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1567459059527290882?s=20&t=vC-aGBVjOmGd07GT8BIIVw

gently caress. Nice move.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

E:

It looks like they've just about put a lid on that cauldron.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

E:

Oh look, the Ukrainians are using the old Soviet tactic of Deep Battle :laugh:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm liking those truck losses. What ever happened to the convoy of doom? That was a huge amount of trucks, were they mostly abandoned and then captured, turned around and went elsewhere, or? It seemed that it literally ran out of fuel at the time.
edit: answered my own question, it apparently has it's own wikipedia page

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 8, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1812 Overture Ukrainian Remix Edition
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1567650179112751104?s=20&t=n5rkv-y6z9ulEr7vv_Bj9A
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1567652214461632513?s=20&t=n5rkv-y6z9ulEr7vv_Bj9A

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You're welcome

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

slurm posted:

That depends on a lot of factors.

If an enemy that you are attacking is prepared, has high morale, knows that you're coming especially, you can expect the casualty ratio to perhaps be 3 attackers for every 1 defender. There's some force ratio calculators out there that military staffs use for wargaming purposes that reflect that.

In this case, the Russians are strewn with issues that allowed the Ukrainians to see great success at a very, very low cost of their own.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

aphid_licker posted:

Russians rotated any unit that could do combat south and east so there's not really anything there, just paper units with a couple weeks training. Ukrainians softened with HIMARS and are trying to break their ability to resupply around Izyum.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm liking those truck losses. What ever happened to the convoy of doom? That was a huge amount of trucks, were they mostly abandoned and then captured, turned around and went elsewhere, or? It seemed that it literally ran out of fuel at the time.
edit: answered my own question, it apparently has it's own wikipedia page

What is the wikipedia page?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's also a very lopsided amount of videos of kias/pows and over-run positions, though i wouldn't read too much into that just yet, but it's not insignificant either. There's pretty good information control overall, but you still need positions to change hands to generate that kind of material and it's absence from the russian side is noteworthy so far. Caveat about generalizing micro to macro goes here, probably.

E: also probably worth adding that russian mil bloggers and telegram channels are doom and glooming pretty hard

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 8, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh look, the Ukrainians are using the old Soviet tactic of Deep Battle :laugh:

What is Deep Battle? I've seen the term thrown around in discussions of Soviet military history and doctrine, but don't really understand what it means or how it differs from NATO doctrine.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

Soylent Pudding posted:

What is Deep Battle? I've seen the term thrown around in discussions of Soviet military history and doctrine, but don't really understand what it means or how it differs from NATO doctrine.

In a nutshell, it's Blitzkrieg on steroids.

The diagram above is what we all learned (sort of) in grade school/middle school about Nazi Germany's Blitzkrieg. At the tactical level, a breach is made with an armored spearhead and follow-on forces rapidly exploit the breach. The ultimate goal of this tactic is to quickly encircle an enemy to create a 'pocket' and isolate the enemy troops. Shaping the decisive effort (the encirclement/breaching the initial lines) are usually artillery and close air support.

The major limitation of what the Germans did in the Eastern Front was that these were done on a relatively small scale, usually at the 'tactical' level: the lowest echelon, such as divisions and corps.

Now what the Soviets conceived during the 30's and used in terrifying effect in '43/44 was Deep Battle. As mentioned earlier, it's upscaled Blitzkrieg.

The biggest distinguishing factor is that the Soviets didn't intend to create encirclements. Russian forces will make a breach, and then widen it and widen it and widen it. They fight beyond the tactical echelon and continuously pursue and exploit the breach and have their units go further and further into the enemy's rear lines to disrupt and destroy anything from communications to supplies.

The key for this was that they would never give the Germans any space to recover/reconsolidate/reconstitute, because you have loving Russian armor brigades rampaging across where you once had your logistic depots and subordinate headquarters.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

c355n4 posted:

What is the wikipedia page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Kyiv_convoy

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ISW Update on the breakthrough (emphasis mine):

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-7

quote:

Ukrainian forces in southeastern Kharkiv Oblast are likely exploiting Russian force reallocation to the Southern Axis to conduct an opportunistic yet highly effective counteroffensive northwest of Izyum. Ukrainian forces likely used tactical surprise to advance at least 20km into Russian-held territory in eastern Kharkiv Oblast on September 7, recapturing approximately 400 square kilometers of ground. Russian sources claimed that Russian troops began deploying reinforcements to the area to defend against Ukrainian advances, and the Russian grouping in this area was likely understrength due to previous Russian deployments to support ongoing efforts to capture the remainder of Donetsk Oblast and support the southern axis.[1] Ukraine’s ongoing operations in Kherson Oblast have forced Russian forces to shift their focus to the south, enabling Ukrainian forces to launch localized but highly effective counterattacks in the Izyum area.[2] Russian milbloggers voiced concern that this Ukrainian counterattack seeks to cut ground lines of communication (GLOCs) to Russian rear areas in Kupyansk and Izyum, which would allow Ukrainian troops to isolate the Russian groupings in these areas and retake large swaths of territory.[3] These milbloggers used largely panicked and despondent tones, acknowledged significant Ukrainian gains, and claimed that the Ukrainian counteroffensive in the south may be a distraction from the ongoing actions in Kharkiv Oblast, which they name as the main Ukrainian effort.[4] The level of shock and frank discussion of Ukrainian successes by Russian milbloggers speaks to the scale of surprise achieved by Ukrainian forces, which is likely successfully demoralizing Russian forces. While it is unlikely that the southern counteroffensive and effort to attrit Russian forces in southern Ukraine is a feint for renewed operations in Kharkiv Oblast, Ukrainian forces likely took prudent advantage of a reallocation of Russian troops, equipment, and overall operational focus to launch localized counteroffensives toward critical points in Kharkiv Oblast.

The Ukraininan forces in this area have conducted several successful counterattacks over the course of the war. Ukraine was smart to let them seize the initiative and exploit Russia's weakness. Even if it doesn't manage to completely isolate Izyum, it's gotta be confusing the hell out of the Russians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

slurm posted:

Yes and no; it's really impossible to tell at the moment. By some accounts, they absolutely are:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/09/07/ukraine-kherson-offensive-casualties-ammunition/

quote:

“We lost five people for every one they did,” said Ihor, a 30-year-old platoon commander who injured his back when the tank he was riding in crashed into a ditch.

Ihor had no military experience before Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on Feb. 24. He made a living selling animal feed to pig and cow farms. His replacement as platoon commander also has no previous military experience, he said.

The soldiers were interviewed on gurneys and in wheelchairs as they recovered from injuries sustained in the offensive. Some spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid disciplinary action. Others, like Denys and Ihor, agreed to reveal only their first names. But most spoke plainly about the disadvantages they faced.

Russia’s Orlan drones exposed Ukrainian positions from more than a kilometer above their heads, they said, an altitude that meant they never heard the buzz of the aircraft tracking their movements.

Russian tanks emerged from newly built cement fortifications to blast infantry with large-caliber artillery, the wounded Ukrainian soldiers said. The vehicles would then shrink back beneath the concrete shelters, shielded from mortar and rocket fire.

Counter-battery radar systems automatically detected and located Ukrainians who were targeting the Russians with projectiles, unleashing a barrage of artillery fire in response.

Russian hacking tools hijacked the drones of Ukrainian operators, who saw their aircraft drift away helplessly behind enemy lines.

Notably, the soldiers interviewed are all completely green, and it sounds like they had the misfortune of running into an experienced and coordinated Russian unit.

But by other accounts, they aren't doing too badly at the macro level:

https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/09/04/ukraine-is-losing-fewer-soldiers-in-its-counter-offensive-than-russia-claims

quote:

A visit to the city on September 3rd showed those claims to be untrue. Long queues outside blood-donation clinics did suggest a degree of local trepidation. But there was no panic at any of the city’s morgues. The city’s hospitals are closed to the press: a Russian missile strike near one of them overnight offered clues as to why. But a doctor working at the main emergency unit said he was seeing between 15-30 injured soldiers a day. “More than usual, but not our worst nightmare.”

Andriy Zholob, a surgeon working at a field hospital 10km from the front, says his work has increased since the start of the counter-offensive. But there has been “no tragedy”. Most incoming patients have concussion-related injuries, thanks to Russia’s artillery superiority. There have been a “few” blast injuries, he says: “fractures, missing hands”.

Ms Yarovenko insists that the number of funerals, running at around a dozen a week since the end of March, has not changed in the past week. Marina Ryabovolik, a local clothes manufacturer turned army volunteer, offers her own evidence. The Ukrainian military has not yet asked for two things that would usually raise alarm bells: underwear and flags. Doctors put the underwear on wounded soldiers after they have had their uniforms cut open, she says, otherwise they would be evacuated to the next hospital naked. The flags end up on Ms Yarovenko’s coffins.