Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
oh ffs, maybe there are a lot more important things to do than making GBS threads on trans people even more than the UK already does, but I guess the government is desperate to keep culture wars going already

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3adva3/liz-truss-scotland-gender-identity

tl;dr

quote:

New UK Prime Minister Liz Truss is trying to block Scotland’s plans to allow trans people to self-identify as male or female, VICE World News can reveal.

Two government whistleblowers said Truss has asked lawyers for help to “pause or prevent” the Scottish government’s Gender Recognition Reform Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's parallels of this in the aftermath of the Great Influenza epidemic, countries that did (or were seen to have done) gently caress all saw rising support for authoritarianism and 'social cleanliness' and other things that lead to fascism.

Doing stuff is hard when you only care about Number and landlords tho

"Nearly half of millennials believe that army rule would be a good way to run the country, for example, triple the level a decade ago." just seems wildly unlike anything I've observed in actual reality though. Are all those "police and council are useless get the army in" comments on social media secretly by 30 year olds with ironic avatars of 60 year old brexiteers?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Preparing my blood pressure and watching the start of PMQs.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

There's parallels of this in the aftermath of the Great Influenza epidemic, countries that did (or were seen to have done) gently caress all saw rising support for authoritarianism and 'social cleanliness' and other things that lead to fascism.

"Nearly half of millennials believe that army rule would be a good way to run the country, for example, triple the level a decade ago." just seems wildly unlike anything I've observed in actual reality though. Are all those "police and council are useless get the army in" comments on social media secretly by 30 year olds with ironic avatars of 60 year old brexiteers?

Not to run, no. That generally ends up working very badly. But interventions? Arguably, the Turkish system had military coups for "the good of the people" baked in if the civilian government can't hack it, and yes, they had multiple military coups after WWI. As far as I know, Erdogan is the first civilian leader who actually managed to survive a coup-attempt.

Then there's the often overlooked blurb hidden in the German constitution stating that in the event that a non-legitimate government takes control somehow, their un-elected asses can be disposed off by the Bundeswehr. Like, the Bundeswehr is officially allowed to take over Berlin if Nazis or Communists somehow take over by violence instead of elections. :shepface:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are half of millennials secretly harking for that though? Did the dance video infect their brain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r6vnSR0wbI

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

oh ffs, maybe there are a lot more important things to do than making GBS threads on trans people even more than the UK already does, but I guess the government is desperate to keep culture wars going already

tl;dr

Different laws in Scotland to England, unthinkable, never happened before.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Many Egyptians believe that they are 'bad people' who need a 'strong man' to lead them. Hence hardman "General" CC - harder than Mubarak - is the end result of the revolution of 2011.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

Are half of millennials secretly harking for that though? Did the dance video infect their brain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r6vnSR0wbI

My assumption is that its presumably an astro-turfed survey, designed to be used for future Daily Mail articles to fearmonger the old that young people are dangerous communists who want to destroy democracy, so sensible folks need to get out and vote, whilst the feckless youth need their right to vote restricted, etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Are all those "police and council are useless get the army in" comments on social media secretly by 30 year olds with ironic avatars of 60 year old brexiteers?

It's a really good bit if so

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Guavanaut posted:

The survey being conducted by some wanky conservative think tank kinda makes it seem like they're trying to pave the way for something quite nasty because it's "supported" by the majority of their respondents.

It would be quite chilling with a competent Tory at the helm but I'm not sure Supreme Leader Truss has it in her to be honest.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

tl;dr

Maybe I'm being senselessly optimistic but this may actually be a good thing - Nicki seemed content to kick the can well into the next century, but if it'd embarrass Truss to push it through then she just might. Again, senseless optimism most likely, but I'm also not convinced Liz could actually do anything anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tigey posted:

My assumption is that its presumably an astro-turfed survey, designed to be used for future Daily Mail articles to fearmonger the old that young people are dangerous communists who want to destroy democracy, so sensible folks need to get out and vote, whilst the feckless youth need their right to vote restricted, etc

My assumption is that either the question asked is different to how it is phrased here, or it’s been presented in a very leading context, in an effort to pretend that people are ok with how the current government trample over the idea of democracy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Could be that those demographics can see that the current establishment is visibly incapable of doing anything but make their lives worse and are increasingly open to alternative ways of arranging things.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay that's as much PMQs as I can stand.

Overall pretty weak on her part, mostly having to rely on Tories doing the usual "would the prime minister agree that tories are sexy and cool and labour are gay paedophiles?" schtick

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the UK going full fash would be the least surprising result of a total collapse

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Johnson has poo poo heir

She is gaffe-prone and tin-eared while Starmer offers real change

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesseraction posted:

Okay that's as much PMQs as I can stand.

Overall pretty weak on her part, mostly having to rely on Tories doing the usual "would the prime minister agree that tories are sexy and cool and labour are gay paedophiles?" schtick

An actual question there was 'Isn't cancer bad?'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tigey posted:

That's the weirdest bit though. The newspaper of "bring back national service and the blackshirts to put a bit of iron discipline into the youth and then we'll show the woke judges and lords what for" making the old afraid of the young by claiming that the youth want military rule?

The average supporter of the "army wouldn't stand for this" idea believes that the police spend all their time dancing in heels at gay pride for gays, arresting people for posting common sense on twitter, and attending mandatory diversity workshops where a dozen men in full Zulu regalia do an interpretive dance about destroying whiteness, and also that the army has any interest in doing the police's job for them. All ideas that the Daily Mail themselves promote.

Fascism under no obligation to be consistent etc. but still :psyduck:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
she hopes the blame for disruptions lands on Labour. But rail staff have public support and two-thirds of voters back a strike by nurses.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Not if it's created by home grown, British products

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

An actual question there was 'Isn't cancer bad?'

Well it does kill a lot of Tories, so it's impossible to say

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can download the tables for that survey though they appear to be deliberately as unreadable as possible, some of the questions are loving mental though.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

'Hannah Bardell (SNP) asks why her constituents should have faith she can suffer the “ongoing humanitarian crisis” caused by the energy crisis. And will Truss be as “corrupt” as her predecessor?

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker, asks Bardell to withdraw the word corrupt.

Bardell says: “Sometimes the truth hurts, but I’m happy to withdraw.”'

Get in the loving bin Lindsay and drown in the bin juice.

I pray for a larger sinkhole underneath Whitehall every single loving day.

This gem just sums it all up - yes Liz, those people work REAL hard to take home exec pay packets for doing absolutely nothing.

"Starmer says Truss is choosing to hand water companies polluting the rivers a tax cut. And banks are getting a tax cut. Companies doing well are getting a £17bn tax cut, while stroke victims wait an hour for an ambulance and criminals walk the streets with impunity. Why does she think it is right to protect Shell’s profits and to give Amazon a tax break?

Truss says she is on the side of people who work hard. She will deliver jobs and opportunities."

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 7, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A dictator would be cool if they did good stuff and not if they did bad stuff imo

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

This gem just sums it all up - yes Liz, those people work REAL hard to take home exec pay packets for doing absolutely nothing.

"Starmer says Truss is choosing to hand water companies polluting the rivers a tax cut. And banks are getting a tax cut. Companies doing well are getting a £17bn tax cut, while stroke victims wait an hour for an ambulance and criminals walk the streets with impunity. Why does she think it is right to protect Shell’s profits and to give Amazon a tax break?

Truss says she is on the side of people who work hard. She will deliver jobs and opportunities."
But corporations are people too!

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

A dictator would be cool if they did good stuff and not if they did bad stuff imo

I'd hazard a guess that most of my generation (born 1983) and younger feel the same way, to varying degrees, owing to being almost completely shut out of politics thanks to beta blockers and statins.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

A dictator is de facto bad because they're a gigantic administrative chokepoint for an entire country. Either you have to channel all the important decisions through one extremely busy person or you end up having to outsource them to gently caress-knows-who (because if they had actual positions commensurate to their power and responsibility, it wouldn't be a dictatorship).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Think of the paperwork!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I don't know if passing off all female PMs being Tory is a good thing given their track records of being utterly shite, Theresa

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm surprised the pound or stocks aren't crashing, seeing there was gently caress all announced by Liz today.
There's 6 or so weeks before the prices increase, and right now its all 'wait and see what genius thing she will do that no one can see or spotted before to save the UK'.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

happyhippy posted:

I'm surprised the pound or stocks aren't crashing

Give it.. *checks watch* 1.5 to 26 hours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A scattering of questions from the survey:

]

The impression I get is more "the political system is loving useless" than "I wish we had a big strong daddy to get us some lebensraum"

Also lmao that the old people are apparently stuck in a permanent feeling that the country has gone to the dogs no matter how much they actually get (it's the same spread for economics despite them having all the loving money)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 7, 2022

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this is especially lmao combined with the poll on democracy

of course we should believe in British democracy! Also the Tory government in Westminster should have the right to directly interfere in a devolved matter like trans self-determination. There is no contradiction between these two positions

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Carbon too!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Skarsnik posted:

This seems not true or I'm misunderstanding

Well BBC did say that, I'm not going to go through all the other Tories to confirm.

BBC posted:

He made the point that there is just one survivor around the cabinet table from David Cameron's time as prime minister, six years ago.

Her name?

Liz Truss

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Diet Crack posted:

'Hannah Bardell (SNP) asks why her constituents should have faith she can suffer the “ongoing humanitarian crisis” caused by the energy crisis. And will Truss be as “corrupt” as her predecessor?

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker, asks Bardell to withdraw the word corrupt.

Bardell says: “Sometimes the truth hurts, but I’m happy to withdraw.”'

Get in the loving bin Lindsay and drown in the bin juice.
If it’s that easy to get away with, any decent opposition (lol) should be weaponising that poo poo. Every single one referring to Johnson as “the previous corrupt prime minister excuse me I withdraw that” without fail.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I withdraw the word until the next question is asked Mr. Speaker.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

But conversely if I was the Tories I’d probably give up even the slightest pretence of playing along at PMQs, given how it absolutely doesn’t matter. Just answer every question with “I support British people and businesses and we’re working hard to make Britain better” word-for-word, no matter what it is

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

happyhippy posted:

I'm surprised the pound or stocks aren't crashing...
To where? The pound is already down at $1.14, it's not been this hosed since the 80s.
the only upside is Ukraine is loving the euro almost as much, so our major trading partner is in a simila.. oh.. one sec,.
er.. We did what?
Really?
Why the gently caress did they do that? We are screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OzyMandrill posted:

To where? The pound is already down at $1.14, it's not been this hosed since the 80s.
the only upside is Ukraine is loving the euro almost as much, so our major trading partner is in a simila.. oh.. one sec,.
er.. We did what?
Really?
Why the gently caress did they do that? We are screwed.

Dunno what you're talking about, the Mongolian Tugrik is positively buoyant at the moment!