Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Is there an alternative to octoprint that will run on an esp8266

This is a joke, right? I can't tell for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I googled for it just now, not seeing anything.Seems like the ESP8622, certainly the ESP32 has the power to do what needs to send files to the printer remotely

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Hadlock posted:

I googled for it just now, not seeing anything.Seems like the ESP8622, certainly the ESP32 has the power to do what needs to send files to the printer remotely

It does not. A Pi Zero can barely run octoprint.

You should be looking at a Pi Zero 2 or a Pi 2 at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am surprised that storing and serving gcode over usb requires that much horsepower

I guess most esp8266 have a max of 4mb storage, most being ~1mb so that's gonna be a limiting factor as (glances at random gcode saved to disk) most of mine are 2-30mb

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is there an alternative to octoprint that will run on an esp8266

I think this is the chip that boards with reprapfirmware use for built in wifi (thus not needing octoprint)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay, I read "alternative to octoprint" as "thing that runs one or more webcams and presents a menu of uploaded files that you can select from and print and allows you to input overrides for various parameters and has a robust plugin system"

If you just meant "can I put something on my network that listens on a port and blithely shoves everything it gets out a USB serial port" then you could probably write that in a couple dozen lines.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

looks like reprapfirmware supports the ESP32 in some capacity

https://teamgloomy.github.io/adapters_esp8266.html
https://www.tindie.com/products/pcr/reprapfirmware-wifi-adapterboard-for-gtr/

I don't disagree that octoprint is barely usable on a modern rpi, it's a pretty heavy app mostly written in python and javascript which are not super compatible with goals of squeezing onto a true microprocessor

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bondematt posted:

It does not. A Pi Zero can barely run octoprint.

But it runs klipper great....

So i've been playing the game of "why run octoprint". Maybe you want to slice on the Pi? Maybe you want to do fancy camera tricks using plugins? Maybe you want to do the "exclude zones" feature if doing large beds of parts? (I think that's addable to mainsail at this point..)

Why go Octoprint?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Nerobro posted:

Why go Octoprint?

In my case, it’s just convenience. My Prusa MK3S+ is on the opposite side of the house, and it is really nice to be able to preheat and upload/start prints from across the house and monitor progress remotely. A nice UI and webcam support is nice to have on top of the basic stuff I really wanted.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

first benchy with the new dragonfly hotend. what the heck are there diagonal lines I'm seeing? did I goof something when reassembling the hotend?

E: maybe an artifact from gyroid infill or something?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 7, 2022

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nerobro posted:

But it runs klipper great....

So i've been playing the game of "why run octoprint". Maybe you want to slice on the Pi? Maybe you want to do fancy camera tricks using plugins? Maybe you want to do the "exclude zones" feature if doing large beds of parts? (I think that's addable to mainsail at this point..)

Why go Octoprint?

Yeah I can't say. I run Fluid Klipper.

The only reason I can think of is if you need something from the plugins.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My first big terrain 3D print is the "Wizard Wagon" I did not realize it was going to be so big when I started. Pretty happy with how it came out, and I learned a few things about printing along the way! I think GW would charge like $75 for a model like this. Not counting the cost of the printer, electricity, or time, the total cost for this print was about 3/4 a spool of filament or so.

Also just got a big ol delivery of more 3d print materials. My son says I am approaching this hobby with "Big divorced Dad energy"

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

smax posted:

In my case, it’s just convenience. My Prusa MK3S+ is on the opposite side of the house, and it is really nice to be able to preheat and upload/start prints from across the house and monitor progress remotely. A nice UI and webcam support is nice to have on top of the basic stuff I really wanted.

That's not really the question I'm asking. Web interfaces are really good for 3d printers. I will definitely push for "have a web interface". That's absolutely the way to go.

I mean.. when Mainsail or Fluid are out there, why octoprint?

Bondematt posted:

The only reason I can think of is if you need something from the plugins.

This is really the conclusion I've come to. "If you need that toolbox of features..."

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Nerobro posted:

That's not really the question I'm asking. Web interfaces are really good for 3d printers. I will definitely push for "have a web interface". That's absolutely the way to go.

This is really the conclusion I've come to. "If you need that toolbox of features..."

How many people are actually using Klipper on specifically the MK3S, it's kind of its own thing, not a normal modern printer per se.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

insta posted:

holy poo poo no do not make that harder on yourself. get an Orange or Banana or NeoPi. Put their flavor of Ubuntu on it. Install KIAUH scripts and run them, they will do all the heavy lifting.

you do not want a full size PC doing this job for more than an afternoon

Buying a whole new device when I have a perfectly capable machine going unused is making things harder on yourself. If you’re going to make a vague about running Klipper a PC being a dangerous practice, then you’re going to have elaborate on that. I’m not an expert, but I have yet to see a comment about this method as being detrimental to either machine in the reading I have been doing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My first big terrain 3D print is the "Wizard Wagon" I did not realize it was going to be so big when I started. Pretty happy with how it came out, and I learned a few things about printing along the way! I think GW would charge like $75 for a model like this. Not counting the cost of the printer, electricity, or time, the total cost for this print was about 3/4 a spool of filament or so.

Looks awesome! Also I can see you haven’t been in a GW store in , oh 20 years. That would easily be $170-$200 at least

E: oh, i totally thought that was a much bigger square. Well, I’m still probably not that far off. :haw::orks:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nerobro posted:

I tell you, I looked into Klipper and Mainsail/Fluidd and came to the conclusion that they're very cool and wouldn't improve anything for me. This may change in the future, but what I have is working great, and I don't need to sink any more time into screwing around with firmwares.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Because only one of these will readily talk to the Marlin machines that probably 95%+ of printer owners have.

Klipper is very nice, yes, but it's not anywhere close to having the kind of footprint that Marlin does, and most people are going to be looking for the path of least resistance.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I moved heaven and earth and got a rPI 3B+, what are my must-have octoprint plugins?

no webcam yet, but will eventually.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deviant posted:

I moved heaven and earth and got a rPI 3B+, what are my must-have octoprint plugins?

no webcam yet, but will eventually.

I've got a few I like. Simple Emergency Stop adds a stop button to the top of the page. PrintTimeGenius figures out the deltas between estimated print times and actual print times and seems to appropriately adjust them after it learns. Cancel Objects is cool if you do a big print of multiple objects and some fail. If you can figure out which is which you can cancel it and the print will keep going without that one object. Octolapse is neat if you want to make timelapse videos or gifs of prints in progress (I used it for the hot ends gang tag print).

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Got Linux Mint installed on my little NUC last night. Was a bit of a headache until I realized it didn’t like the Wi-Fi drivers and plugged in the eathernet cord. After that, everything updated and now works more or less like it should. I went through the KUAIH Klipper install process before leaving for work. Everything came up good, so I just had have actually plug in the printer when I get home from work. I’m sure that’s when all the “Goddamit, why won’t you work?!” poo poo begins.

I’m also printing out a special club to knock the teeth out the next pedant who tells me I am having fun with my hobby wrong because I don’t do it exactly the way they would or for other reasons than their’s.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Buying a whole new device when I have a perfectly capable machine going unused is making things harder on yourself. If you’re going to make a vague about running Klipper a PC being a dangerous practice, then you’re going to have elaborate on that. I’m not an expert, but I have yet to see a comment about this method as being detrimental to either machine in the reading I have been doing.

That's fair.

The SBCs are a "normal" PC, optimized for low power, silence, and few (if any) moving parts. In my experience, a full size desktop is more susceptible to disk failure, fan failure, brownouts, or a cat tripping over it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it (other than full-size PCs don't have breakouts for I2C / SPI, or other GPIOs -- which will limit you later), it's just a very sharp move against what everybody else does. Some people run dedicated NUC-style machines for 12 klipper instances for Mk3s in a rack, but if you just have a desktop whirring away I think a NanoPi NEO would pay for itself in a couple months in just power alone.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

insta posted:

That's fair.

The SBCs are a "normal" PC, optimized for low power, silence, and few (if any) moving parts. In my experience, a full size desktop is more susceptible to disk failure, fan failure, brownouts, or a cat tripping over it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it (other than full-size PCs don't have breakouts for I2C / SPI, or other GPIOs -- which will limit you later), it's just a very sharp move against what everybody else does. Some people run dedicated NUC-style machines for 12 klipper instances for Mk3s in a rack, but if you just have a desktop whirring away I think a NanoPi NEO would pay for itself in a couple months in just power alone.

Fair points, but understand I have extreme oppositional defiance disorder. I’m never not going to use a pc, now

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I used to use Octoprint + Marlin because it was a useful tool with little investment. Once it's on the microSD card, I can just put it away until I need to send some commands or want to use the bed visualizer. It was never my main interface, just an additional tool.

Now I use Octoprint + Klipper mostly because I already had the Octoprint set up. It is my main interface and it works fine. There's probably better out there but when going through the process of replacing the board on my Ender 3 and also learning Klipper, I had enough going on at once.

When I make the jump to a Voron through? That'll be a prime time to explore moving away from Octoprint.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nerobro posted:

I have this sitting in my pile of printer parts. Do you know if it supports a camera? I'm looking to have a .. ~extremely remote~ print setup, and I was intending on using that board to drive it.

I don't think so and the documentation is really vague, maybe it supports IP cameras embedding into the web interface? It talks about having a pi host a camera

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Fair points, but understand I have extreme oppositional defiance disorder. I’m never not going to use a pc, now

It's ok if you can't figure out how to flash the little boards and need the handicap rails of a full size machine. Some of us just need GUIs to do even simple things :)

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
OK I like tree supports but literally every time I print with them, one gets nudged out of position unless I use a brim
I'm using a Neptune 3, maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, maybe it's a dirty build plate, but it keeps happening and it only happens with tree supports

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BadMedic posted:

OK I like tree supports but literally every time I print with them, one gets nudged out of position unless I use a brim
I'm using a Neptune 3, maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, maybe it's a dirty build plate, but it keeps happening and it only happens with tree supports

They're thin and spindly so it could be a little oozing that builds up on the nozzle and pushes them. I'd work on retraction testing with some of those retraction towers and see if you can dial it in a bit and see if it helps:
https://www.thingiverse.com/tag:retraction_test

There can be issues with some filaments just being oozy and clingy that way, though, like PETG is often stringy for me although it's been better on a direct drive printer since retractions can be very small with greater effect.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I'll try one of those towers, I don't think I ever dialed in retraction
I think it may also be because the current spool has been in a non-climate controlled room for the past 18 days, and it's started to get a little bit stringy

Speaking of that, anyone have a good recommendation for a filament dryer? (or recommendations on alternatives?) I looked at a bunch on amazon, but I swear for all of them half of the recent reviews were 'works great' and the other half were 'total garbage because of X'

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think with filament dryers you sort of have two options. One is the kind made for filament that holds one roll and can feed out of it in case you need to keep something actively dry like nylon in a humid environment. The other is a food dehydrator which is what the original printdry was made on. I just went with the $40 food dehydrator because it can hold multiple rolls of filament and some silica packs. I just had to clip the mesh out of a couple of the shelves. If I ever did a lot of printing of super hygroscopic filament I'd consider one of the single roll units that you can feed out of.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
That's what I did as well. One of those inexpensive circular models. Works just fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

and we are octoprinting.

next is a camera mount, and i think i'll do .6 nozzles on the mk3s and mini this weekend

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Deviant posted:

and we are octoprinting.

next is a camera mount, and i think i'll do .6 nozzles on the mk3s and mini this weekend

My whole Octoprint thing came up because I've had some... Unplesant experiences with Octoprint. I ended up , with every time I've used it, with broken prints, artifacting, connection issues, file management woes, and.... well other things.

In general, It's a good thing, I'm glad it exists, I'm glad it's there. I didn't like the fight I had to have with it and the ~weird~ things that happened with it. I ended up going back to sneakernet and SD cards rather quickly.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

Nerobro posted:

My whole Octoprint thing came up because I've had some... Unplesant experiences with Octoprint. I ended up , with every time I've used it, with broken prints, artifacting, connection issues, file management woes, and.... well other things.

In general, It's a good thing, I'm glad it exists, I'm glad it's there. I didn't like the fight I had to have with it and the ~weird~ things that happened with it. I ended up going back to sneakernet and SD cards rather quickly.

That's wild, cause I've got it running on a sketchy AF old laptop (raspi please restock) and I've had zero issues with it. Installing Debian, relearning how to linux, and installing all this poo poo by hand was an... experience and I'm honestly surprised nothing has caught fire yet. What were you running it on? I ask cause I have an old raspi 2 that eats SD cards after a month, so it could be bad hardware.

But yeah being able to remote control the printer is *wild* and octoprint just makes things so much more convenient.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
I bought this Ender 3 a month ago. Latest issue is the bed won't stop heating. I've replaced the mainboard already for the same issue. What can I do?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I bought this Ender 3 a month ago. Latest issue is the bed won't stop heating. I've replaced the mainboard already for the same issue. What can I do?

Does ender provide a wire/component diagram? I might look at that to see what inputs the bed is receiving. When the bed heats up does the HMI indicate the temperature is increasing? Or is there a mis-match between that? If that was the case I would think the feedback from the bed to controller is not correct, so there is a temp sensor not functioning for the bed. If the temp sensor indicates correctly and the bed is heating up mysteriously then maybe there is a firmware issue? Or perhaps the bed is plugged in such a way that it bypasses controls and just heats up?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

BadMedic posted:

That's wild, cause I've got it running on a sketchy AF old laptop (raspi please restock) and I've had zero issues with it. Installing Debian, relearning how to linux, and installing all this poo poo by hand was an... experience and I'm honestly surprised nothing has caught fire yet. What were you running it on? I ask cause I have an old raspi 2 that eats SD cards after a month, so it could be bad hardware.

But yeah being able to remote control the printer is *wild* and octoprint just makes things so much more convenient.

Remote control is and being able to send prints direct from a slicer is ~critical infrastructure~. And game changing.

Installing it, getting it working.. not hard. At the time it was a RasPi 3b. I mostly used it with my monoprice mini delta.

First off, to get the Octoprint to connect to the MPMD, it required a plugin, to have it connect twice. An issue with the MPMD firmware? Sure. But still "a problem". Bootup time was... in the several minute realm. Longer than seemed reasonable. Klipper only takes a minute or two. I used a high quality, high speed SD card. And tried it a couple times.

So "actual issues". There were lots of things that could disconnect the raspi from the printer, and.. stop the print. Changing settings, even "adjusting things" that should be adjustable during a print. My biggest issue was I had to adjust my slicer to keep the serial stream slow enough to stop artifacting. The solution to that, was to run the file driectly from the onboard SD card. However, moving files to the onboard SD card took.. AGES. Also, at the time (two years ago now?) file management on the octoprint interface was not good. No print previews, so everything had to be done with good file naming. Deleting files couldn't be done as batches.

To get good printing, and reliable printing, I had to just have the printer print from the onboard SD card. If anything happened during the print, and the raspi had to "do something" it would disconnect and stop getting data. Reconnecting mid print, would stop prints. Also, uploading new prints to the print server wasn't a thing you could do while a print was in progress. And at that point, why have the raspi? I stopped using it pretty quickly.

At the time, I did ask for help. I did ~get~ help. It was definitely more trouble than just throwing a card into the printer and hitting print.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Does the thermistor show it ever reaching temp, or does the temp it is showing just keep climbing?

Typical thermal runaway is a bad thermistor, but if it's set to 60 and showing 100 then something else is fucky and probably a failed relay or mosfet.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This picture I found might be helpful, to look and make sure connections B and E are connected correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i run octoprint from an old galaxy s6 i had lying around, works flawlessly.

e: given the absolutely dire supply of decent single board computers, octo4a on an old android phone is absolutely the best option. even if you don't already have one lying around they're way cheaper than a much less powerful raspi at this point.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 9, 2022