Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Edit: Eh, no point in getting mad.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sloppy posted:

Not just Wizard Poker, BULLSHIT Wizard Poker

Pls update thread title. New battleground challenge pulled ringers out of the ether.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

meatpimp posted:

Pls update thread title. New battleground challenge pulled ringers out of the ether.

I updated the OP but I am very intoxicated and if i can edit the title I cannot figure out how.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

### Big Buff n' Flare
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Sunscale Raptor
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) K9-0tron
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (2) Selective Breeder
# 2x (3) Harpoon Gun
# 2x (3) Nine Lives
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Shan'do Wildclaw
# 1x (4) Ambassador Faelin
# 2x (4) Azsharan Saber
# 2x (4) Dire Frenzy
# 1x (4) Stormpike Battle Ram
# 2x (4) Warsong Wrangler
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 2x (5) Pet Collector
# 1x (5) The Rat King
# 2x (5) Trampling Rhino
# 1x (6) Beaststalker Tavish
# 1x (6) Deathstalker Rexxar
# 2x (7) Mountain Bear
# 1x (8) Charged Devilsaur
# 1x (9) King Krush
# 1x (9) Oondasta
# 1x (9) Wing Commander Ichman
#
AAEBAa/XAwzGwgKG0wKbigPB0APl7wPK+wPbkQThnwTYowTaowSbyQSX7wQOgAfylgP/ugOG4gPq6QPb6gPw7AOpnwS9oATlpATArATAuQSDyAS/0wQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Desert Bus posted:

I updated the OP but I am very intoxicated and if i can edit the title I cannot figure out how.

You mostly just report the post while asking nicely and hope a mod makes the change.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

At first I thought, "Oh, this must be a gimmick brawl. Once I die, something will happen and the real fight begins". But nope, apparently they are dead serious giving the mage a 4 mana headstart (and the coin, because why the gently caress not?) and a dragon based deck, so your board is up against 4/5 - 4/8s until he plays his Kalcgos or Kazakusan while you have 5 mana and some random rear end spells for 0 mana.

Edit: Oh, on game 3 I drew Nozdormu. Cool. Died the next turn, but hey, there's the game plan.

Don't bother picking Warlock imho. Priest seems to work better.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 7, 2022

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Lurks With Wolves posted:

You mostly just report the post while asking nicely and hope a mod makes the change.

:hai:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Love how they introduced P2W mechanics in Battlegrounds and then did a legendary quest that requires you to get 1st place

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

mcbexx posted:

Don't bother picking Warlock imho. Priest seems to work better.

Yeah, the Warlock deck blows. I was able to do it really easily with Druid, though drawing Sailor Nozdormu definitely helped

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The tavern brawl is the most rigged poo poo ever, what in the actual gently caress

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
What are the rewards for the BG questline?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boatswain posted:

What are the rewards for the BG questline?

BG hero

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 8, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And good luck winning a lobby if you don't buy the Tavern Pass.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

I'm out.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

RatHat posted:

Love how they introduced P2W mechanics in Battlegrounds and then did a legendary quest that requires you to get 1st place

Pure coincidence if you ask me.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

AnacondaHL posted:

The tavern brawl is the most rigged poo poo ever, what in the actual gently caress

Just like all the vs. AI brawls, if you can get ahead even a little bit you end up winning easily. It's just really hard to get there with some of the available classes because you need to get a good random spell or two.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Jedit posted:

?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
BGs aren't pay-to-win, and you don't need the pass to get a 1st. Honestly, if you aren't already a high-tier BG player, just popping in and playing at a remotely competent level should get you a 1st in a couple of tries, even with 2 heroes to pick from. The level of competition is very low and low MMR. Find something better to be mad at.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
You definitely don't need the pass to get a 1st, I've got tons from playing with just two choices but I will say that while the game is pretty decently balanced if you consider every hero's frequency of top 4 placements, frequency of first place is a lot more swingy. That said, I'm not sure if the update brought in a lot of new blood or what, but I'm finding myself in some pretty braindead lobbies since the patch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I got a 1st on the first stage of the BG quest :negative:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Jedit posted:

I've been playing without the pass and got a 1st in about 3-4 attempts, there's not THAT much variation in hero strength for choosing from 4 to be neccessary to compete. By definition it should only matter in half of your matches.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I guess this battlegrounds quest is behind completing the welcome back quests? I ain't never did the weird other mode

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

AnacondaHL posted:

we finally got a new brawl, but it's actually worse than other brawls and makes us want the old ones instead :smith:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

I've been playing without the pass and got a 1st in about 3-4 attempts, there's not THAT much variation in hero strength for choosing from 4 to be neccessary to compete. By definition it should only matter in half of your matches.

If you look at the stats the difference between 1st place rates for top heroes vs bottom is like 20%+ opposed to like 6%. Of course it's kind of skewed by those being gathered from high rank players and then I think it's still hard to nail down how much of an impact quests have. It seems like right now playing one of the better "worse" (high armor) heroes is a good move because they get the additional handicap of easier quest completion conditions, which might push things a little too much in their favor

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goferchan posted:

That said, I'm not sure if the update brought in a lot of new blood or what, but I'm finding myself in some pretty braindead lobbies since the patch.

Yes. Just looking at the leaderboard numbers from week 1, there's been a massive number of people playing BGs. Turns out the Season Pass wasn't the apocalypse people predicted.

Even so, the "good" players have been glacially slow to pick up the quest meta, so I expect lower ranks is just a shitfest.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Yes. Just looking at the leaderboard numbers from week 1, there's been a massive number of people playing BGs. Turns out the Season Pass wasn't the apocalypse people predicted.

Even so, the "good" players have been glacially slow to pick up the quest meta, so I expect lower ranks is just a shitfest.

I was really surprised at how many people apparently used to pay gold for BG perks honestly. I never would have paid real money or gold under the old system but I bought the new pass because the cosmetics are cool. My only gripe is that you can't change the background music, that should be tied to board or bartender or something.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Toshimo posted:

Putting in more cash only options is cool and good actually!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I have zero interest in BGs, especially after trying it out a few times, so I just sent the quest to the bin.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I did the brawl in one go as priest. Quite enjoyed it and having one in 3 draws come with 'discover a spell and make it free' felt like it balanced out the early game mana difference.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PneumonicBook posted:

Putting in more cash only options is cool and good actually!

The alternative was that the game mode goes away because it was losing money, so... Hearthstone is a land of contrasts?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I dumpstered the battlegrounds quest because it feels bad to have two options locked off and I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I found trying to get a first place to be a slog. I wish they'd just present two options rather than explicitly demonstrate you were missing two options. I'm not surprised they needed to introduce a more aggressive monetisation but I'm surprised to hear it was losing money. Lots of people had cosmetics in my games before the latest patch. Anyway I'm not too annoyed by it because it's gotten me back into constructed. It's refreshing to have games only last five minutes after exclusively playing battlegrounds since it's inception

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

GTO posted:

I did the brawl in one go as priest. Quite enjoyed it and having one in 3 draws come with 'discover a spell and make it free' felt like it balanced out the early game mana difference.

Took me two tries as Paladin. First game nothing worked for me and then the second I managed to get a 4/5 Rush/Taunt/Divine Shield/Windfury Mech off a free spell, which I then buffed hugely and magnetised. Also Adapted Nozdormu to have windfury and buffed that as well and the game was over on like turn 5/6.

I somehow fluked a 1st place finish with Demons as Lady Baz'hial in the second round of the Battlegrounds quests, so no doubt I'll never get first place when I need it now. I don't mind playing Battlegrounds but the time investment turns me off playing it more than occasionally.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I got lucky and drew three 0 zero cost spells on turn 2 from which I was able to summon a 10/10 copy of a minion in my deck and then two 5/5 copies of that. The AI was not able to come back from me having 20/20 stats on the board turn 2.

I was thinking what a miserable waste of resources for all the new voicelines and art for a 5 turn game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

World War Mammories posted:

hearthstone always be bullshit

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Toshimo posted:

BGs aren't pay-to-win, and you don't need the pass to get a 1st. Honestly, if you aren't already a high-tier BG player, just popping in and playing at a remotely competent level should get you a 1st in a couple of tries, even with 2 heroes to pick from. The level of competition is very low and low MMR. Find something better to be mad at.

The difference isn’t huge but paying for the tavern pass absolutely gets you a significant advantage with how unbalanced the heroes are. Not to mention having 4 heroes to choose from gives a better chance of getting a hero you enjoy playing(even if it isn’t best in terms of winrate).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I had a triple round one spawn. It was picky eater.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I was probably a bit hasty about Quests; they're pretty fun and better than not having any craziness added.

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 8, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Toshimo posted:

The alternative was that the game mode goes away because it was losing money

:allears:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
i hope we get a period of quests, buddies and tickets all active at once for maximum imbalanced insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Thanks!