Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can you imagine if Jammy Crobyns suggested spending £150bn on energy sector?

Magic money tree, labour govts love spending other peoples' money, where are the costed plans, blah blah.

The specific number doesn't really matter. Any proposal by the left will get the same hysterical treatment screamed in unison by the entire client press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The magic money tree genuinely is magic, in that it exists and doesn't exist at precisely the right moments

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

oh ffs, maybe there are a lot more important things to do than making GBS threads on trans people even more than the UK already does, but I guess the government is desperate to keep culture wars going already

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3adva3/liz-truss-scotland-gender-identity

tl;dr

Gonna be real, this feels like it has to do less about the actual law part (though pissing in the cornflakes of the trans community is absolutely a bonus) and more to do with reminding everyone north of Cumbria to not get any wild ideas about this goverment having any particular care for or desire to work with them except in a capacity of small child to angry, drunk, abusive parent with belt.

Really, the Scottish Parliament could be rattifying a "Give every Tory all the gold in China" law and they'd still get bitched at.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how easy is it to start my own one man band fracking business?

Gonna start a shoestring operation fracking in my back yard, then selling buckets of crude oil to passing motorists from a rickety trestle table I've set up by the roadside.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

The magic money tree genuinely is magic, in that it exists and doesn't exist at precisely the right moments

Schrödinger's chestnut

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This rumours would mean that renewable producers are the ones paying, not the fossil fuel ones lol
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1567770425777692675?t=yEpXqL7pTPdBRXWimEDTPQ&s=19

e: the follow up tweets suggest that doing something ridiculous is being used as a threat to get some expensive accounting shenanigans through instead.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 8, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

"we're too dependent on highly volatile fossil fuels"
""drat, let's tax the renewables to pay them more"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starting to think these people don't have our best interests at heart.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Starting to think these people don't have our best interests at heart.

a short term fix paving over long term failures, with no reflection on where they went wrong? Impossible.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How many of the energy firms could the government just outright buy with this £100b?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Scientastic posted:

How many of the energy firms could the government just outright buy with this £100b?

Some very very very rough maths:
Greencoat produced about 1.2 TWh in 2019
UK used about 1,600 TWh in 2019 (all sources)
Greencoat market cap is about 3.8 billion GBP, enterprise value a touch over 4.

Idk how representative they are, and they probably have a bunch of not yet generating assets in the pipeline/assets that weren't live in 2019 but are now, but £100b worth of greencoats would only get you a few pct of the the UK's total energy requirements. It would be on the order of 10% of the UKs electricity though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kin posted:

I've been looking into solar panels and am I missing something incredibly obvious, or wouldn't a government funded programme that aimed to have every home properly insulated and covered in solar panels be a vote winner and economically beneficial for, well, everyone.

Every house/building harvesting the power of the sun and basically being a source of power rather than just a drain seems like a Sensible Thing.

Everyone knows about energy bills (more now than ever) so it's not like it would be hard to sell "cheaper bills" as a benefit to the masses.

Building on what others said, it's simply the case that the political parties of the country exist to funnel money to private concerns and the people who run them. They dabble in cruelty against the little people on the side, but that's a hobby.

If the tories were remotely truthful in their stated beliefs and objectives, for example, they would absolutely do the sort of thing you describe here. They are big fans of the free market, but a scheme that secures energy independence (i.e. national security) should be one of the situations that completely overrides that, as well as being good politics because it makes a lot of voters happy. But the ones who matter are the entrenched fossil fuels industry, and so the professed Tory care for the safety of the country is discarded out of hand.

Anyway now I'm off to practice my poker face so that I can receive a great many instructions on chess moves directly to my prostate, and not give away the countless orgasms which result.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kin posted:

I've been looking into solar panels and am I missing something incredibly obvious, or wouldn't a government funded programme that aimed to have every home properly insulated and covered in solar panels be a vote winner and economically beneficial for, well, everyone.

Every house/building harvesting the power of the sun and basically being a source of power rather than just a drain seems like a Sensible Thing.

Everyone knows about energy bills (more now than ever) so it's not like it would be hard to sell "cheaper bills" as a benefit to the masses.

It's kind of expensive to put solar panels on a roof instead of in fields, and there are other home based interventions that make more sense to do first (e.g. insulation schemes, as insulation benefits match up better with energy demands). but the tories (and lib Dems lol) aren't that interested in doing either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scientastic posted:

According to the Conservative think tank that priced it out when Corbyn proposed it: all of them, twice over.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

distortion park posted:

"we're too dependent on highly volatile fossil fuels"
""drat, let's tax the renewables to pay them more"
This doesn't sound like an extra tax, just speeding up the 'Contract for Difference' process. Currently the market rate is above the agreed price so we're due refunds. It would make sense to move to a process where the pay/refund cycle is avoided. That said, some of the earliest renewables that went up before the adoption of CfDs will be making good profits that are fair to tax.

edit: 3/4 of renewables predate CfD, and they benefit from low costs, high gas price and a fixed subsidy from the Government.

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/why-are-wind-farms-making-massive-profits-because-gas-prices-have-soared-b2157726.html

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 8, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

According to the Conservative think tank that priced it out when Corbyn proposed it: all of them, twice over.

Problem is then they'd have to go and put in bunch more money if they wanted to keep the prices low as well.

Not that that makes it a bad idea of course.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can you imagine if Jammy Crobyns suggested spending £150bn on energy sector?

Magic money tree, labour govts love spending other peoples' money, where are the costed plans, blah blah.

When tories do it: sensible, pragmatic

When labour does it: I'll loving cut you

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I think most people faced with the prospect of their energy bills rocketing up by 300 - 400% will just be like: "well, thank goodness they're doing something about it!"

Labour left flapping sadly on the sidelines about how it's going to be paid for must be exactly what the Tories want from them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

This doesn't sound like an extra tax, just speeding up the 'Contract for Difference' process. Currently the market rate is above the agreed price so we're due refunds. It would make sense to move to a process where the pay/refund cycle is avoided. That said, some of the earliest renewables that went up before the adoption of CfDs will be making good profits that are fair to tax.

edit: 3/4 of renewables predate CfD, and they benefit from low costs, high gas price and a fixed subsidy from the Government.

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/why-are-wind-farms-making-massive-profits-because-gas-prices-have-soared-b2157726.html

presumably the proposal is to bring those 3/4 into the program, by making it attractive to them (given the stick of a windfall tax).

i get why this makes sense right now, but it's a pretty hosed up dynamic.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Edwina “I sucked John Majors cock” Currie getting thoroughly owned on Twitter right now in case you’re missing it

https://twitter.com/Natt/status/1567545336675160066

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pistol_Pete posted:

I think most people faced with the prospect of their energy bills rocketing up by 300 - 400% will just be like: "well, thank goodness they're doing something about it!"

They let 205,000 (and still increasing) die due to Covid.
They used it as an exercise to give themselves and rich mates PPE loans to then write off.
And are braying how they were best in the world with the vaccine and monitoring app when they weren't.
And people believe them.

They will do the same with energy prices.
If 200k can die and no one gives a poo poo, 50k or 100k people freezing or starving to death will be swept under the carpet too.
They will brag how Truss saved the country instead.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Every energy producer getting paid the price of the costliest bit of gas power is a stupid system, even if it's renewables benefitting. And it's not like those renewables aren't owned by private companies, so it's limiting how much of people's money ends up as shareholder profits.

Lol on the energy price cap "merely" doubling everyones bills compared to last year thought, so thoughful and helpful to the poorest.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Pablo Bluth posted:

i'm not a professional (just an enthusiastic amateur like most of us these days) but is the issue not that CfD process couples renewables and fossil fuel prices together by design in the calculation of the baseload reference price or w/e?

stated reason being it mitigates the seasonality of renewables and provides a stable price for suppliers (cynical reason being it means renewables can never outcompete oil & gas)

now that the unforeseen has happened and gas prices are dragging renewable prices far beyond any cost basis the obvious 'capitalist' solution would be to de-couple the two and let natural market forces drive both the overall wholesale market price down and further investment in renewables

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Day one of the Truss admin and the Thatcher days are back, babyyyyyyy

Pound falls to lowest level against US dollar since 1985

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I remember when the pound was so strong vs the dollar that you could buy CDs on import and still pay less than getting the UK release.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Rustybear posted:

i'm not a professional (just an enthusiastic amateur like most of us these days) but is the issue not that CfD process couples renewables and fossil fuel prices together by design in the calculation of the baseload reference price or w/e?

stated reason being it mitigates the seasonality of renewables and provides a stable price for suppliers (cynical reason being it means renewables can never outcompete oil & gas)

now that the unforeseen has happened and gas prices are dragging renewable prices far beyond any cost basis the obvious 'capitalist' solution would be to de-couple the two and let natural market forces drive both the overall wholesale market price down and further investment in renewables
My understanding is:
1) there's a bidding process where the Govt. says "We want X megawatts of renewables"
2) Companies bid for some of that opportunity, putting forward their required fixed price to build some renewable at £Y/MWh guaranteed for Z years..
3) The bidders with the lowest price win
4) After building the renewable source, everyone sell their electricity to the grid at £(Market Rate)/MWh, where the Market Rate is set by the most expensive source (gas...)
5a) If £(Market Rate)/MWh is less than £Y/MWh, then there's a mechanism for the renewable company to receive a top-up to achieve £Y/MWh
5b) If £(Market Rate)/MWh is greater than £Y/MWh, then there's a mechanism for the renewable company to pay back the excess over £Y/MWh

Here's the most recent winning bids [1]. They're all of the order of £42-45/KWh. The current market price is ~£400 KW/h [2]
1] https://assets.publishing.service.g...d-4-results.pdf
2] https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/energy-data-and-research/data-portal/wholesale-market-indicators

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 8, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shocking nobody https://twitter.com/The_TUC/status/1567820130641494017

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Pablo Bluth posted:

4) After building the renewable source, everyone sell their electricity to the grid at £(Market Rate)/MWh, where the Market Rate is set by the most expensive source (gas...)

it's set by a simple average of a basket of European reference prices or some such but is currently being dragged up massively by gas yes

perhaps it's a genuine oversight but it seems mightily convenient to me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

I remember when the pound was so strong vs the dollar that you could buy CDs on import and still pay less than getting the UK release.

God that ruled. When you could get $2 to £1. Only time I ever imported a video game was around that time, one of the NCAA Football games for Gamecube. Yeah, casuals imported boring JRPGs they couldn't even read any text in, cool dudes imported a game that was basically the previous year's Madden but with an extra recruiting mini-game added in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rustybear posted:

it's set by a simple average of a basket of European reference prices or some such but is currently being dragged up massively by gas yes

It's set that way because the differences in cost are so huge and volatile that pegging it to an individual calculus of profit versus production costs results in private companies playing silly buggers like Enron did, creating deliberate shortages of expensive-but-essential energy (because we don't have full renewable/nuclear supply for our energy yet) and fraudulently inflating their own estimated production costs.

Why, yes, this is another argument for removing the market mechanism and nationalising the whole lot of 'em.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rustybear posted:

Well renewables are closely linked to natural gas for the next 2-3 decades at least, you will need lots of that to run renewable based production to make up for the intermittency issues. Or some other form of energy which can be quickly ramped up and down. Which for now is basically natural gas.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

It absolutely does exist; it is called the working classes.

What causes confusion is that money has a sign that as well as a quantity. Spending money is not wealth; it is the transfer of wealth. Transferring wealth from Peter to Paul is something that has an the opposite. So to the owner of the money tree, taking 150 tons of crop from the tree has a positive sign, spreading 15 tons of fertiliser on the roots has a negative sign.

The latter is actually sometimes done by the owners of the tree, on the basic of enlightened self interest. Tories are more _ ok we saved 15 tons of fertiliser and it’s still alive; maybe we can try reducing the amount of water we give it?_

I guess in this analogy, the middle classes are ents, in that they trees who own themselves. You can easily confirm this is true by checking Twitter.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

RIP yer Maj

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Happening: it's?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There can only be one liz.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

One Liz replaced by another. :stonklol:

edit: Boris must be making GBS threads himself at not being in the limelight for this event, if it's true.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 8, 2022

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Someone get Gibbo and pals on the line

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol if they can't pass the energy bill because the queen's dead and they have to start a new parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Perfect time for the expense and costumes and pageantry of a coronation for Charles