Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Obviously not by him, but looking forwards to the official Pratchett biography that'll be out later this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

not a bot posted:

Obviously not by him, but looking forwards to the official Pratchett biography that'll be out later this month.

It was written by Rob, so it's the closest thing to autobiography as you'll ever get. There is the risk that it will be a hagiography, but if anyone ever deserved one it's Pterry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rob was a surprise unannounced guest at DWCon, he turned up for the Friday bedtime story to read from the biography, before he had to vanish very early Saturday morning to fly to the US for Hollywood reasons.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first Pratchett I read was a short story featuring Granny Weatherwax, then I went and started with The Color of Magic.

It's a good short story:

https://www.angelfire.com/weird2/athenia/stories/pterry/sea.htm
Same! It was in an anthology with other writers and was the most memorable. I think I started with Lords and Ladies afterward. I ventured all over the place but always came back to the witches.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Anybody heard any info on Discworld in Audio Updates? For example, do any of you know when the Night Watch Series will be adapted?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The man called M posted:

Anybody heard any info on Discworld in Audio Updates? For example, do any of you know when the Night Watch Series will be adapted?

They're all due this year or in 2023.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Almost finished with Lords and Ladies. I really appreciate how Pratchett subverts the common fantasy trope of elvish grace and beauty and making them into bad guys. And honestly, rather intimidating I must say.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BigglesSWE posted:

Almost finished with Lords and Ladies. I really appreciate how Pratchett subverts the common fantasy trope of elvish grace and beauty and making them into bad guys. And honestly, rather intimidating I must say.

It's my favourite. I enjoy how that subversion isn't just a contradiction - he bends his elves back into the Fair Folk tropes.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I try to make it fun when a new book starts, so I have started inscribing them to my kiddo from characters in the books.

https://twitter.com/TheSkinnyMenace/status/1570604180922044418?t=aAc2iQZ0M4EXmdY4hPZjEA&s=19

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

BigglesSWE posted:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I try to make it fun when a new book starts, so I have started inscribing them to my kiddo from characters in the books.

https://twitter.com/TheSkinnyMenace/status/1570604180922044418?t=aAc2iQZ0M4EXmdY4hPZjEA&s=19

Nice!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

I use this as my basis for how to use the fae folk in every form. When I write. When I play D&D. When I run D&D.

The fae should be wonderful, marvelous, fantastic, glamorous, enchanting, and god drat terrifying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CoolCab posted:

small gods is i think my favourite of the discworld books but it lands so well in part because it's a very deliberate inversion, or maybe a correction of the mistakes made in Pyramids ie just leave AH out it will overcrowd the story otherwise, which makes it very radically different to any of the other discworld books. and if you don't know those beats, if you don't have an understanding of how the religion and tone of the setting work you don't feel the subversion and as such it doesn't land quite as well. so it kind of works as a stand alone but it also doesn't?

It's probably absurdly simple, but I can't for the life of me figure out what AH is here.

Alternate History?
Assassin's Huild?
Ankh Horpork?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
AM yeah, typo

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I needed something to keep me busy, i decided to read The Sea and Little Fishes.

Im breaking it up into 10ish minute "before bed time" chucks, cuz whats when we read our Discworld books here at home. Its about 90 minutes total, but only part 1 & 2 are up

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMPq5PkQzH7M3y0KDPAjSzBE9revzvPxY

Subscribe! Ill be releasing the story in 10 minute chunks over the next few days

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 5, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really really enjoyed Wintersmith.

There's something about the overall package of the Tiffany Aching books that is just a slam dunk for me

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The only thing keeping me from doing a Tiffany Aching reread is that I'd be reminded of The Shepherd's Crown. It's stupid I know, but that book makes me sad for the wrong reasons and I don't like to even think of it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Canuckistan posted:

The only thing keeping me from doing a Tiffany Aching reread is that I'd be reminded of The Shepherd's Crown. It's stupid I know, but that book makes me sad for the wrong reasons and I don't like to even think of it.

The what? There are only four Tiffany Aching books.

Any information to the contrary is best consigned to l-space.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Canuckistan posted:

you're making me nervous. That's the only Discworld book that I don't own yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

you're making me nervous. That's the only Discworld book that I don't own yet.

It's one of the best. It carries the message that Pterry wanted to send: that while all stories end, every story contributes to sending new stories forward. What we do and what we are, were or chose to be survives us and remains a part of what comes after. Your story only ends if you choose not to use it to tell stories.

So read the drat book, people.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I need to take another crack at the final run. I didn’t finish I Shall Wear Midnight or Snuff, and I completely haven’t read Raising Steam or The Shepherd’s Crown. I will cry for that one.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I gotta reread the Aching books, the ending of the first one with Ghost Granny and the dogs is something that I think of fairly often and I read that book 20 years ago.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jedit posted:

It's one of the best. It carries the message that Pterry wanted to send: that while all stories end, every story contributes to sending new stories forward. What we do and what we are, were or chose to be survives us and remains a part of what comes after. Your story only ends if you choose not to use it to tell stories.

Alternative viewpoint: I'm well on my way to forgetting what I read in it and that's for the best. The negatives outweigh the positives, and I wish I'd left the box closed so the cat could live (angrily) forever.

It's better than raising steam though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I gotta reread the Aching books, the ending of the first one with Ghost Granny and the dogs is something that I think of fairly often and I read that book 20 years ago.

The Aching books - the ones I've read so far (on my publication order discworld read) - have two cool things going on imo. On one hand, they read like a Granny Weatherwax origin story, but in a far more creative, productive way rather than a simple look to the character's past, and to this point Granny is my favourite character in the series by a very wide margin. On another, they're so steeped in folklore and folk mythology. I'm a total sucker for those abstract quasi-logical stories that reach from just beyond the fringes of human history. The weird stuff with the chalk horse is entirely my jam. It's perfect.

My love of this characteristic is also why Lords and Ladies is my favourite main-series book so far (I'm up to Making Money), and Hogfather is a near second.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beachcomber posted:

Alternative viewpoint: I'm well on my way to forgetting what I read in it and that's for the best. The negatives outweigh the positives, and I wish I'd left the box closed so the cat could live (angrily) forever.

It's better than raising steam though.

Yeah, it's sad reading late pratchett, i can't do it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I never read Shepard's Crown and have no intention of doing so. I think the Aching books ended well enough on I Shall Wear Midnight that I feel no real need to go further. Similarly, I've never read and will never read Raising Steam.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Jedit posted:

This makes me happy. I think I am going to do a full reread for 2023. Never read the last 2 because I was too sad.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Khizan posted:

I never read Shepard's Crown and have no intention of doing so. I think the Aching books ended well enough on I Shall Wear Midnight that I feel no real need to go further. Similarly, I've never read and will never read Raising Steam.

Wintersmith is real good though.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
When I got bored about a third of the way through Snuff, that's when I knew it was time to pack it in.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Wintersmith is real good though.

Wintersmith is before I Shall Wear Midnight so they've presumably read that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The portion of The Shepard's Crown that covers (major spoilers, for real) Granny Weatherwax's death is incredibly good. It's pTerry saying goodbye to all of us through the lens of the Discworld saying goodbye to Granny .

The rest of the book isn't as good, but it's worth it just for that segment. And the whole book is better than Snuff or Raising Steam.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

thebardyspoon posted:

Wintersmith is before I Shall Wear Midnight so they've presumably read that.

Oh I thought it was A Hat Full of Sky, I Shall Wear Midnight, Wintersmith .

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Fighting Trousers posted:

When I got bored about a third of the way through Snuff, that's when I knew it was time to pack it in.

I had blocked Snuff out of my mind - probably my ought to try it again at some point

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Snuff lost me when Willikins suddenly had a completely different character to all his previous appearances.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Jedit posted:

It was written by Rob, so it's the closest thing to autobiography as you'll ever get. There is the risk that it will be a hagiography, but if anyone ever deserved one it's Pterry.

I've been listening to it on Audible. It does a good job of showing Terry the huge cantankerous nerd. I couldn't finish it though. Too painful.
I'm going to read the Shepherd's Crown. I have literally avoided it for years. I'm just.... afraid of it. But it's quite short, and it's an easier goodbye than listening to the man's own end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to go through Snuff and Raising Steam for the first time probably in the next couple of months, likely before the end of the year (I tend to intersperse a couple of discworld books between other selections, and I'm due to go back to one of the heavier books on my list, (which I think in this case is Gibbon Vol 2) after I finish Unseen Academicals

Would the thread like for me to post my thoughts/reactions/reviews as I read them?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CommonShore posted:

I'm going to go through Snuff and Raising Steam for the first time probably in the next couple of months, likely before the end of the year (I tend to intersperse a couple of discworld books between other selections, and I'm due to go back to one of the heavier books on my list, (which I think in this case is Gibbon Vol 2) after I finish Unseen Academicals

Would the thread like for me to post my thoughts/reactions/reviews as I read them?

I know I would. I ended up liking the books, although they definitely weren’t as strong as the others. I listened to the audiobook which helped

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CommonShore posted:

Sure, why not.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My order for Pratchett's biography got pushed back to "order received" status :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

CommonShore posted:

That would be pretty cool, especially if it persuaded a couple of people like myself who got a bit jaded to pick up the books.