Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lone Goat posted:

In your 80ish games so far, have you ever seen Mons be good?

Hmm, I saw it kill Jim Davis once but the stats are pretty bad. It's like Tori and Najal, it seems that cluster of 4-drop golds are trap cards? I guess I could cut it.

I guess I could also cut the defenders but I just can't see Snarespinner actually being good? I guess if I do that it would improve Strength of the Coalition

Edit: Yeah these are all sub-55...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

They should've left it in

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, I saw it kill Jim Davis once but the stats are pretty bad. It's like Tori and Najal, it seems that cluster of 4-drop golds are trap cards? I guess I could cut it.

I guess I could also cut the defenders but I just can't see Snarespinner actually being good? I guess if I do that it would improve Strength of the Coalition

Edit: Yeah these are all sub-55...

The defender package is fine, you want clutter on the board for Phalanx and they're all card advantage anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I cut mons. I subbed in Mesa Cavalier but now I wonder if I should let recency bias get me and play Snarespinner after dying to two 3/3 fliers I couldn't do anything about lol

Edit: One of the things the content creators have been discussing is how much more gameplan evaluation is necessary with these cards... I guess the question is, if i have a defender package and otherwise gum up the ground, would it be better to have another creature that's mostly defensive to cover the air, or a flier that could attack if the skies are clear... I did have three removal spells and the 4/4 reach that could have dealt with the fliers, i didn't draw any until it was too late though

Edit: Another loss to uncontested fliers... sigh. I mean a Talas lookout trades with either so it didn't really matter if I'm not drawing

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 8, 2022

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone playing the much discussed Izzet spells/birbs?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Anytime Balmor is not in my hand or the battlefield, I'm asking, "where's Balmor?"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
https://www.17lands.com/deck/e491b814ec6b4a778c1b1a044a942fc3

Any suggestions on this one? I feel like blue was probably open pack 1 but I was pretty well committed by that stage. I think the deck's built pretty OK, but whether to include one or both of the branchrunners without green to pump it is maybe a question?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Creature count is a little low, even though some of them come with extra creatures. Hammerhand is probably not worth it compared to something like Flowstone Kavu (which effortlessly turns on Baird)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e491b814ec6b4a778c1b1a044a942fc3

Any suggestions on this one? I feel like blue was probably open pack 1 but I was pretty well committed by that stage. I think the deck's built pretty OK, but whether to include one or both of the branchrunners without green to pump it is maybe a question?

I dont think you have the mana fixing or the power level to justify three colors. Id cut white, branchrunner is pretty bad but the rest of your red pumps/tricks in the look solid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

little munchkin posted:

I dont think you have the mana fixing or the power level to justify three colors. Id cut white, branchrunner is pretty bad but the rest of your red pumps/tricks in the look solid.

White is mostly there for Baird TBH, who is probably the best single card, and I think I have the support to at least splash him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is this a keep or mull? (I am on the draw and 39% to draw land)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 8, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

you have absolutely nothing in your hand to take game actions for the first four or five turns of the game, what do you think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The hope is that I hit something with 61% to draw in the next two turns and curve out?

Maybe it seems obvious to mull but watching streamers repeatedly land pass turn 1 and 2 unpunished and Jim Davis keeping this exact hand configuration while saying "people mulligan too much" made me think it was more on the bubble lol

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's a don't-even-think-about-it mulligan.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hope is that I hit something with 61% to draw in the next two turns and curve out?

Maybe it seems obvious to mull but watching streamers repeatedly land pass turn 1 and 2 unpunished and Jim Davis keeping this exact hand configuration while saying "people mulligan too much" made me think it was more on the bubble lol

As I heard someone streaming say once, "You are never going to get a better shot at hand selection in a game than your opening mulligan."

You want your dodgy keeps to be, "this hand can keep me alive and hopefully I draw into something." This hand says, "so long as I topdeck nothing but 2- and 3-drops I might survive long enough to do something."

If the top 2 cards of your deck are lands, you're going to be at 12 life with no board and your hand will look indistinguishable from that screenshot.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 8, 2022

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Generally, I'd say it depends on what interaction you have in hand and how many 2 drops in your deck. Your opponent there could curve out with weenies and kill you before you do anything. You're relying solely on what you draw to stop it. If Destroy Evil wasn't conditional, or you had some sort of card draw or something, I'd feel a lot better about it. I'd ship it back. Take it with a grain of salt though, I'm not very good at this.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Curve out how? You ideally want 2 drop, 3 drop, and the phalanxes. My thought is that if you have to go runner runner for the hand to function, you should probably ship it back. You need more than either a 2 or a 3 drop, you really want both here.

I get that this is a slower set, but you still need to establish a board. With nothing in the starting 7 that gets you there, you are relying a lot upon your draws to bail you out. If you whiff, you're donezo. I think the downside risk is too great, and even taking into consideration this is limited, I'd ship here.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
No clue what is going on here. I tried to cast village rites 4 times and it never did anything but start my timer going.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i wouldn't keep a hand with zero plays in the early game or, like the one you posted, no plays in the midgame, especially now that mulligans have the 'draw 7, put x on the bottom of your deck' rule. you don't want to overmulligan, sure, but you should think about how many mull to 6s would be an improvement over that opening hand

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you draw a two drop are you going to refuse to block with it until turn 5 so that you can play Phalanx?

This hand needs TWO cards (or Argivian Cavalier) to curve out, not one. Your odds are way less than 61%

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it'd definitely make you mull more often than you can get away with, but the advice i started following when i was getting used to mulling was:

- how many cards in my deck do i need to draw into to make this hand playable, both in general (such as an early creature or two) and in specific (i need a land that taps for black, which i have X of in my deck)
- how quickly does this hand get me on board in terms of when my deck in general wants to play (i.e. no early creatures is fine if i'm going to wipe the board at some point anyway)

that hand in question needs multiple early drops to play the phalanx before turn 6, and i'd assume that since you're running the phalanxes your deck wants to get on board early with the phalanxes as your top end

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/aefhyNhgBU BGx looks pretty good to me. Could see cutting Meteorite for Tribute, Strike or Might.

wei posted:

Gaea's Might and Tribute to Urborg can come in over Rona/Meteorite. Vohar I'm keeping because it's great with Urborg Reposession. Your graveyard package is the best part of this pool so I'd try my best to run all of it.

thanks wei :love:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I may be a scrub who everyone clowns on, but if I get a draft with Sheoldred, The Cruelty of Gix *and* Defiler of Vigor?? Well, I can get 7 wins, my friends.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Mike N Eich posted:

I may be a scrub who everyone clowns on, but if I get a draft with Sheoldred, The Cruelty of Gix *and* Defiler of Vigor?? Well, I can get 7 wins, my friends.

Is it possible to learn this power?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

draft record so far
3-3 with bw aristocrats/aggro
3-3 some esper nonsense
4-3 with uw instants

all break even as far as i care (i know it's 5 wins but these were all mastery tokens)

i should install 17lands this time, i am just afraid of it spying on me when not running mtga

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hard mode: sealed with only a single dual land

despite the lack of land-based fixing, three deathbloom gardeners and two micromancers means I'm very incentivized towards UGx. white is also a draw with all the token makers and payoffs (protector, charge, argivian). my instinct is to do rw, but leaning into the multicolor pile life seems like the place to be.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Another 1-3.

I had been doing a decent job of breaking even but three sub-50%s in two days have quickly depleted my reserves, I guess I should pause

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another 1-3.

I had been doing a decent job of breaking even but three sub-50%s in two days have quickly depleted my reserves, I guess I should pause

Whip out some historic brawl and have some fun. Some of the new commanders from DMU are spicy

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another 1-3.

it does get harder the more you rank up ime

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This is the fun angel aggro deck I’ve been playing on hbrawl in case you wanna try it. Pilot it as if it was a goblin deck.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/5082410#paper

I want to build it in paper but it’s expensive. I already have a Lyra and a couple others but still can’t justify the expense.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Whip out some historic brawl and have some fun. Some of the new commanders from DMU are spicy

Good idea

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 9, 2022

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So thats why village rites wasn't working. Arena is hosed up for mobile.

Thought that "as an additional cost to cast this spell" cards were bugged, as I tested bone shards and severed strands both of which did nothing against sparky.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

At this point if you still play arena on mobile, you signed up for this poo poo.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

kalel posted:

hard mode: sealed with only a single dual land

despite the lack of land-based fixing, three deathbloom gardeners and two micromancers means I'm very incentivized towards UGx. white is also a draw with all the token makers and payoffs (protector, charge, argivian). my instinct is to do rw, but leaning into the multicolor pile life seems like the place to be.

Glad the last one worked out!

Yeah opening only 1 dual is sad. I don't know if I want to be multicolour because all the fixing costs 3 mana and there aren't many good cards to splash. Your instinct is correct I think, WR is the most coherent deck I could come up with and it's close to a good WR draft deck. I tried building UR but it was missing a few playables and the cheap interaction that deck needs to get Amplifiers through.

https://sealeddeck.tech/u9NQ3K1Fpp

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Anyone feel like looking at this draft? I posted about the first picks earlier, ended up at 5 wins (but I'm in shitter tier, so it doesn't mean too much).

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d4435a5471f543ba829d1378c0679e65

I feel like GB was open - starting with pick 8, I got a tear asunder, Soultender, Sojourner (which is sorta whatever in this deck), and then a Bonerattle wheeled. A Loamspeaker P3P5 certainly convinces me there was no one to my right in green, but the deck just didn't come together perfectly. A little clunky and slow. I thought 2x Miasma would carry me through the quicker games, and they did help, but it wasn't enough.

Play wise, I know i screwed up here and there. I get greedy with tricks a lot, and I just straight up did the math wrong resulting in a loss at one point.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 9, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Boxman posted:

Anyone feel like looking at this draft? I posted about the first picks earlier, ended up at 5 wins (but I'm in shitter tier, so it doesn't mean too much).

I feel like GB was open - starting with pick 8, I got a tear asunder, Soultender, Sojourner (which is sorta whatever in this deck), and then a Bonerattle wheeled. A Loamspeaker P3P5 certainly convinces me there was no one to my right in green, but the deck just didn't come together perfectly. A little clunky and slow. I thought 2x Miasma would carry me through the quicker games, and they did help, but it wasn't enough.

Play wise, I know i screwed up here and there. I get greedy with tricks a lot, and I just straight up did the math wrong resulting in a loss at one point.

Urborg Repocession is the best card for your deck and you kept passing it for stuff that doesn't matter

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Boxman posted:

Anyone feel like looking at this draft? I posted about it earlier, ended up at 5 wins (but I'm in shitter tier, so it doesn't mean too much).

There was discussion about this earlier but the first two picks I'd probably have gone Rager into Extinguish, but your picks are defensible.

P1P3 I'd take Bortuk here because it's a strong pull into the domain/graveyard deck, crazy that it wheeled.
P1P4 I like Necromass but usually try to get them later, or wait until I have Soultenders or War-Leech. I'd speculate on the dual here.
P1P5 Tribute > Interference
P1P7 Scatter > Prophecy
P1P10 Espionage > Sojourner

P2P5 I like the last pick a lot, with 3 self-mill creatures in the deck I'm very interested in Urborg Reposession over the dual. I know we need duals but at this point I'm leaning harder into the self-mill stuff than Domain.
P3P2 Mossbeard Ancient is so much stronger than Sojourner, with your self-mill and raise dead effects it's not difficult to play it a few times in one game.
P3P10 You have enough 3s, Magnigoth Sentry is a very good body in these decks.

I would have played Tatyova in the deck for sure, over the 2nd Miasma. +1 Island -1 Swamp gives a decent enough mana base for her and you usually want to play her turn 7 if you can help it anyway. I think Gaea's Might is just a little better than Strength of the Coalition here but less sure about that.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #15

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d7adb3967b87480d939048aa324c8d3c

Opened a Devastator and then a Knight of Dawn's Light made me consider white as a pair. I didn't pick Tori as the next pick though because she has horrid 17L stats? (Is that being warped by people playing her in the wrong decks or is that card just not relevant?) I went with Argivian Cavalier but ended up cutting white anyway. P2P2 I could have picked Defiler of Dreams, but remembered my previous issues with double pips and since it didn't seem like blue was a main color at the time (I was wrong!) I went with Hurloon Battle Hymn (which was a main color but also has better stats...)

I think this should be competitive? Non-Chaplain defender strategy to stay alive until Devastator or Jaya can take over (with alternate mill wincon), enough nonpermanent spells to keep the Terrors fed. I am guessing that Founding the Third Path doesn't replace anything in here, and that Rona's Vortex without black is not great? With no mandatory splash (just some nonessential kickers) and curving out at 4, I think this seems like a 16-lander too?

why do you keep ending up with all these random walls in your deck and draft? you really dont want to invest into any of the wall stuff before seeing a chaplain

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there isn't a 'non-chaplain defender strategy.' maybe if you get the black one that makes the opponent lose life or the blue one that mills you can win off of having enough walls, but i wouldn't even try to get in the strategy unless you get chaplain or one of those two extremely early b/c otherwise whoever else decides they want to be in defenders will suck up all the ones you want to have

also any defiler is worth having in limited

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lone Goat posted:

Urborg Repocession is the best card for your deck and you kept passing it for stuff that doesn't matter

I needed to get into domain a bit, and having another large body to dig back up felt reasonably important. I don't think the picks are completely indefensible, although obviously I'm a worse player here.

wei posted:

There was discussion about this earlier but the first two picks I'd probably have gone Rager into Extinguish, but your picks are defensible.

P1P3 I'd take Bortuk here because it's a strong pull into the domain/graveyard deck, crazy that it wheeled.
P1P4 I like Necromass but usually try to get them later, or wait until I have Soultenders or War-Leech. I'd speculate on the dual here.
P1P5 Tribute > Interference
P1P7 Scatter > Prophecy
P1P10 Espionage > Sojourner

P2P5 I like the last pick a lot, with 3 self-mill creatures in the deck I'm very interested in Urborg Reposession over the dual. I know we need duals but at this point I'm leaning harder into the self-mill stuff than Domain.
P3P2 Mossbeard Ancient is so much stronger than Sojourner, with your self-mill and raise dead effects it's not difficult to play it a few times in one game.
P3P10 You have enough 3s, Magnigoth Sentry is a very good body in these decks.

I would have played Tatyova in the deck for sure, over the 2nd Miasma. +1 Island -1 Swamp gives a decent enough mana base for her and you usually want to play her turn 7 if you can help it anyway. I think Gaea's Might is just a little better than Strength of the Coalition here but less sure about that.

Thanks for this feedback!

P1P4, I didn't realize quite how slow Necromasses typically get picked up. A bit unlucky I didn't see another. And thanks for the more general advice on the other picks in this pass.

The pack 3 misses are especially egregious. I kept feeling like I wasn't stabilizing fast enough (or at all). Tatyova is a good include - I need to be more willing to splash. And I'd have to double check, but I think the sole difference in between the two decks i played with was swapping between Gaea's Might and the Strength of the Coalition.

I think the mistake that ties a lot of the mistakes together was hedging toward domain a bit too much. Some of this is probably a fairly specific leak (I had just come off of some success with domain over in Sealed), but more broadly, do you have any thoughts about balancing the need to hit domain with Bortuk (and to help out the other, admittedly less important domain cards) with cards for the main theme of the deck? This feels like it'll be a running theme of the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

none of the defilers are bad but the only spectacular one is the green one, the rest are just kinda mediocre and should not be picked highly. 2 color pips is just so bad in this format, all the splashing makes triggering them hard, the white red and black ones have pretty negligible effects, and the blue one has a good effect but blue barely plays any permanents