Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This was the reason emulation became a thing in the first place in the 90s so it's been a battle going on for 25 years now.

Occasionally Nintendo gets it right, or close enough, but then they drop the ball. Like SM3DAS was generally fine, considering platform limitations (no analog FLUDD in Sunshine) but they delisted it for, reasons, and never followed up with a port of Galaxy 2.

Relatedly is there any real benefit to Zelda WW/TP HD compared to the Wii versions upscaled?

Dunno about TP but Wind Waker HD came with a bunch of QoL stuff like fast sailing and other things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

So what are you guys playing on this thing? Still Vampire Survivors?

I had to use a different proton version from a flatpak and start the game for the first time from desktop but I just finished a replay for Arkham Asylum, worked pretty great except for one or two crashes after hours of playing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can install windows on an SD card and boot from that right?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone have any reccomendations or guides on how to install a cheat engine like program onto the deck?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yep

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I used this guide: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-windows-steam-deck and scroll to "Another method"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Manky posted:

I used this guide: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-windows-steam-deck and scroll to "Another method"

Thanks! I’m gonna order a 512 card and do this.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Manky posted:

Nice, thanks. Haven't been keeping up so it's a pleasant surprise to see it can be that isolated an install. I may cut the card I bought recently entirely over to Windows.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have like 5 PCs with windows on them already do I need to buy a fresh key for this?

I realize a windows key is like $10 at this point so I’m ok if that’s the case.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I believe Windows is still tied to the hardware so you'd have to get another key. A good in SA Mart sells them for dirt cheap.

Here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768345

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

I believe Windows is still tied to the hardware so you'd have to get another key. A good in SA Mart sells them for dirt cheap.

Yeah that’s my understanding as well. Thanks! I’ll just grab a cheap one from the mart and go from there.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone have a control setup for SteamOS desktop mode? I have a hell of a time using it.
Also, are there any transparent keyboard themes? It'd be great to see behind the drat thing.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
How is the performance in Windows vs SteamOS?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

How is the performance in Windows vs SteamOS?

I was going to ask this as well.

AFAIK it’s pretty close to the same.

Obviously you miss out on the awesome suspend features though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

deong posted:

Does anyone have a control setup for SteamOS desktop mode? I have a hell of a time using it.
Also, are there any transparent keyboard themes? It'd be great to see behind the drat thing.

There was an effort post recently in this very thread of a much improved desktop mode binding set, with mouse click on the triggers and other well thought through details. I cannot find it now but it would be cool if that goon reposted it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

v1ld posted:

There was an effort post recently in this very thread of a much improved desktop mode binding set, with mouse click on the triggers and other well thought through details. I cannot find it now but it would be cool if that goon reposted it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=232#post526066143

God BBS is so outdated, I wish there was a way to pin this post.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You can just constantly rearm windows. I'm sure they'll be fine income wise.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

v1ld posted:

Thank's ya'll. I thought I saw it here but couldn't get a good search. Saw a similar Reddit post but didn't seem right.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Manky posted:

Here's another guide to Windows on the SD card that's a bit more recent and goes into driver install as well: https://wagnerstechtalk.com/sd-windows/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You guys are really tempting me to go pick up a 400GB or 512GB MicroSD just for Windows and Windows-based games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

You guys are really tempting me to go pick up a 400GB or 512GB MicroSD just for Windows and Windows-based games.

I just ordered one!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what big windows-based games are there that won't run on steamos?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Destiny 2, anything with EAC

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i play apex a lot, and i don't have windows anymore. even EAC sometimes plays nicely.

sometimes.

e: i did have the weird experience recently of 2 indie game demos just giving me a black screen with sound though, idk what's going on there, maybe some borked unity stuff, as a rule i haven't had issues with any other indie games so far

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Big one is Destiny 2 but Windows on the Deck also gets your PC Game Pass natively (without being forced to Stream). I know GOG and Epic have native launcher solutions already but I’ve yet to see anything for Game Pass and I think Ubisoft.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

My Windows card is mostly just for Genshin. There is a way to play it on Linux bypassing EAC but it seems like the sketchiest poo poo ever. Game Pass also I guess but rebooting is a little too annoying for me to bother for some of those games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Big one is Destiny 2 but Windows on the Deck also gets your PC Game Pass natively (without being forced to Stream). I know GOG and Epic have native launcher solutions already but I’ve yet to see anything for Game Pass and I think Ubisoft.
Ubisoft works fine you just have to install their launcher in a Wine container of some sort, I used Bottles to play Anno 1800, or you can add the installer exe directly to Steam and switch shortcuts but thats a pain.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

v1ld posted:

Here's another guide to Windows on the SD card that's a bit more recent and goes into driver install as well: https://wagnerstechtalk.com/sd-windows/

Oh yeah, drivers are an important detail lol

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gay Retard posted:

Alright, I think I've finally gotten my Desktop Mode custom controls to a point where I feel comfortable enough sharing.

Download at: steam://controllerconfig/413080/650764041

What am I doing wrong?
I tried typing this in konsole :
code:
steam steam://controllerconfig/413080/650764041
It brings up the Steam Controller config (not mine but same look (scottD user))

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Destiny 2, anything with EAC

*Up to publisher discretion. Some other games with EAC, namely Elden Ring, plays just fine on the Steam Deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oooh right

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It supports it but its very funny that Epic, who owns EAC, will not flip that switch on their own games because (/!\ warning linux nerd poo poo) the linux version of EAC is intrinsically less secure because its just a userland thing instead of an invasive kernel rootkit like the windows version and flipping that switch kinda compromises the whole thing. If you believe that EAC actually does anything at all anyway and isnt just, a magic tiger repelling rock. That's why they'll never flip it for Destiny though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lost Ark, a game absolutely riddled with bots, would also be fantastic on the Deck but alas the security features that protect the game's integrity prevents it.

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 8, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Destiny 2 and Lost Ark would be the 2 examples of them never flipping the switch because money is involved for microtransactions. Something that Elden Ring doesn't have.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
By EAC you mean Easy Anti Cheat? It works great on deck.

e: beaten

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Heran Bago posted:

So what are you guys playing on this thing? Still Vampire Survivors?

Yakuza Kiwami and Subnautica: Below Zero at the moment.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

What's the most braindead way to get files off of a PC onto a Steamdeck's MicroSD card? I've been using the terminal FTP client mentioned in the OP and windows explorer but that can't access the "run" folder which has the sd card.

If I use a card reader it doesn't mount on my PC. I have a usb cable. Just wanna avoid having to drop poo poo on the desktop and moving them over on the touch screen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just FTP or Warpinator/Winpinator things to one directory and then Steam Link into the Deck's desktop mode to use my PC's KB+M on the Deck to move them where they need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh i didnt even think of steam linking