Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

These days with same sex marriage, you and a buddy can just get married and then divorced right after college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jabor posted:

"Getting married for financial benefits" doesn't mean you have to go all-in on intimacy and stuff. Three years of studies, avoid commingling assets, an amicable divorce and then move on.

Yeah what 18 year old doesn’t understand this?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I mean, who among us hasn't married someone for money before? Let he who is without sin yadda yadda

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kefit posted:

I've always wondered for FAFSA type stuff - what if your parents have substantial means, but refuse to provide any assistance with paying for college?

My dad was wealthy and paid for my undergrad, but only because the divorce agreement legally obligated him to do so. If it had been totally up to him then he would have given me lectures about bootstraps while refusing to give me a cent for college. I know this because it's exactly what happened with my older siblings who went to college before my parents divorced.

You're screwed. You can get unsubsidized loans and private loans. Your parents being unwilling to pay for college does not get you independent status.

Now if they're unwilling to pay because you won't go to gay conversion therapy or some other terrible parent special, you can file an appeal for independent status.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 8, 2022

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Listen. If we just gave people money for college because their parents signed a piece of paper saying they didn't want to pay for college, people would figure out they can just sign the piece of paper and get free college. Then we'd have to give free college educations to everyone. That's called Communism and enslavement.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

Listen. If we just gave people money for college because their parents signed a piece of paper saying they didn't want to pay for college, people would figure out they can just sign the piece of paper and get free college. Then we'd have to give free college educations to everyone. That's called Communism and enslavement.

A lot of wealthy people do this already. They get their kids emancipated right before college so they're "independent" for the FAFSA.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ham Equity posted:

A lot of wealthy people do this already. They get their kids emancipated right before college so they're "independent" for the FAFSA.

There's also a pretty sizable industry selling shares in condos so students can pay in state tuition.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

College costs are barely a consideration for actually wealthy people.

We had this whole conversation not long ago in this thread or a different one. I don't know where this idea came from, but I'd like to see someone source it with some kind of information. Because it seems like you'd need to be in such a specific situation of having enough money that you feel the hassle of this is worth it, the RISK of this is worth it (you will be lying to a judge) but not enough money to just go "huh, that sucks, guess I'm helping you pay for college".

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

These days with same sex marriage, you and a buddy can just get married and then divorced right after college.

This should be a Judd Apatow movie.

Also, I remember hearing an old story where in Texas I think you could prove residency with a business license. So $40 later you could qualify for in state

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

This was a conversation me and my buddy had multiple times after he joined the military. I guess the perks are pretty nice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Motronic posted:

We had this whole conversation not long ago in this thread or a different one. I don't know where this idea came from, but I'd like to see someone source it with some kind of information. Because it seems like you'd need to be in such a specific situation of having enough money that you feel the hassle of this is worth it, the RISK of this is worth it (you will be lying to a judge) but not enough money to just go "huh, that sucks, guess I'm helping you pay for college".

My sister was friends with a girl in HS who's parents tried to pull this. They were EXTREMELY thread-worthy in a bunch of regards. Middle-class income, too much house, bought new cars all the time, messy divorce, and then both of them lavished dumb gifts on the people they dated after that. I remember the mom buying a boyfriend a motorcycle, for example.

They tried to emancipate the daughter but it didn't work for some reason. I don't remember the details - this was 20+ years ago and when it was going down I was busy drinking my brain away in college - but the tl;dr was that didn't pan out and they ended up spending yet more money on lawyers while they argued about how much they should pay for school etc.

The daughter ended up going to a community college on her own dime iirc.

edit: this isn't saying it isn't a quasi-urban legend. These two were the kind of idiots who I 100% could believe hearing someone talk about one weird trick and going whole hog on it. If they'd been born a couple decades later they would probably have been getting into crypto and taking financial advice from reddit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

https://www.propublica.org/article/university-of-illinois-financial-aid-fafsa-parents-guardianship-children-students

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

There's also a pretty sizable industry selling shares in condos so students can pay in state tuition.

That's not even a rich person thing.

If you're actually rich you contribute a shitton to a 529 for your kid, you buy a house near campus. You then take like $6k a month out of the 529 for rent and pocket it, allowing you to both pay for the house and avoid paying taxes on investments.

Then your kid rents out rooms to other people and pockets that cash.

It's basically grifts all the way down

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So a dozen families all in the same district/family court in and around Chicago where it became known that you could get away with this? Wow. That sure sounds a very different than "a lot of wealthy people".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

So a dozen families all in the same district/family court in and around Chicago where it became known that you could get away with this? Wow. That sure sounds a very different than "a lot of wealthy people".

If you'd actually read the loving article, it was four dozen in a wealthy Chicago suburb in an eighteen-month period, which yes I would classify as "a lot." We're talking about kids of a single age in one loving county, so yeah, that's a loving lot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

If you'd actually read the loving article, it was four dozen in a wealthy Chicago suburb in an eighteen-month period, which yes I would classify as "a lot." We're talking about kids of a single age in one loving county, so yeah, that's a loving lot.

Ohhhhh!!! a whole 4 dozen! All represented by the same 2 firms. Propublicia certainly got the reaction they were looking for out of you on that one.

I know most people aren't good at dealing with huge numbers, but I assure you in light of the dollars we're talking about here both paid for college and given as need-based this is less than a thousandth of a percent each year. This is hardly notable, which is why all you can find on this topic is this one article and a bunch of trash news sources reporting on the publication of this article.

It's not common. It's not something that is reasonable or easy to do in most jurisdictions. It doesn't even make sense to discuss outside of the context of Chicago suburbs.

I'm not justifying this. I'm saying it's less relevant than ranting about how these drat blue collar tradies who get paid in cash a lot of the time don't report all of their income and get need based benefits for their kids. But that wouldn't be as satisfying for you be outraged over now would it?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 9, 2022

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
loving hell Motronic, do you have to be an abrasive, condescending loving arsehole to everyone who posts a comment that doesn't meet your lofty standards?

Try chilling out a bit. Not everyone is as smart and correct as you, we get it. It's an Internet discussion board, not the annals of Congress.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Weatherman posted:

loving hell Motronic, do you have to be an abrasive, condescending loving arsehole to everyone who posts a comment that doesn't meet your lofty standards?

Try chilling out a bit. Not everyone is as smart and correct as you, we get it. It's an Internet discussion board, not the annals of Congress.

When the same ill-informed crap keeps coming up as a pattern yeah, I'm gonna call that poo poo out. I thought this type of "so brave" posting was for CSPAM, not BFC.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Ohhhhh!!! a whole 4 dozen! All represented by the same 2 firms. Propublicia certainly got the reaction they were looking for out of you on that one.

I know most people aren't good at dealing with huge numbers, but I assure you in light of the dollars we're talking about here both paid for college and given as need-based this is less than a thousandth of a percent each year. This is hardly notable, which is why all you can find on this topic is this one article and a bunch of trash news sources reporting on the publication of this article.

It's not common. It's not something that is reasonable or easy to do in most jurisdictions. It doesn't even make sense to discuss outside of the context of Chicago suburbs.

I'm not justifying this. I'm saying it's less relevant than ranting about how these drat blue collar tradies who get paid in cash a lot of the time don't report all of their income and get need based benefits for their kids. But that wouldn't be as satisfying for you be outraged over now would it?
I mean... If you want to get this nitpicky, fine. 1.9 million first-time students started college at a four-year undergraduate institution in 2019. 48 of them were out of here, which actually puts it at more than loving DOUBLE your rate of "less than one-thousandth of a percent" just from this incident ALONE. Of course, that's assuming that all 1.9 million of those students are need-based, traditional students, which, of course, they aren't, so the actual rate--again, just from this incident alone--is almost certainly much higher than that. Further, given the percentage of those first-time, traditional students coming from "well-off" families, that makes this percentage much, MUCH higher. Like, yeah, if you're looking at it from the perspective of "number of people in the world," you're right, 48 is hardly anything. From the perspective of "high school graduates from upscale families starting college in a particular year," it's a relative loving ton.

If you want to be a complete dick about having to be right about everything, that's you're prerogative, but you should make sure you're actually loving right about it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

grifters gonna grift, but what do you actually want done about it? i think just quitting all means testing and paying for everyone's school sounds like a great solution.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

When the same ill-informed crap keeps coming up as a pattern yeah, I'm gonna call that poo poo out. I thought this type of "so brave" posting was for CSPAM, not BFC.

You show them, buddy

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fix It posted:

grifters gonna grift, but what do you actually want done about it? i think just quitting all means testing and paying for everyone's school sounds like a great solution.

You got it in one.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

Motronic posted:

Take the L honey

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Weatherman posted:

The original post was dumb though. It’s an edge case thing that is bad but rarely happens.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Gnossiennes posted:

pretty much, yep.
i'm still married 13 years later to the same person, so good on 20 year old me for making a decent decision! if i had to go back and do things differently, i'd make some different career decisions, but i'd do the marriage again. i will tell anyone under the age of ~25 to not get married tho. let that brain keep baking a little longer, it ain't done yet.

We just hit 15 years.

But yea, I'm the same, I don't encourage any young person to get married. It's truly a terrible plan, and no one should look at when it succeeds as evidence that it's a good idea.

But, I will also never discount the fact that I would have married my husband at some point anyway, but with 3x the student loans. We uh really should fix our education system.

Content: speaking with an old supervisor the other day. He bought a trailer (like a travel trailer) a year or two back, brand new, financed of course. Because, well, he paid off his truck. Hitches up the trailer, bottoms out his suspension. Ends up upgrading his trucks suspension and getting new tires for the truck that will tow better. Drops a few grand on those things.

He was showing me pictures of his new dog. Because he now has 3 dogs, in addition to his wife and two kids the new trailer is too small and he thinks he needs a larger one.

I am waiting excitedly for the new truck that will also have to come with this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

Your posting brand would play quite well in C-SPAM.

Take of this what you will.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Motronic posted:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Gaius Marius posted:

This was a conversation me and my buddy had multiple times after he joined the military. I guess the perks are pretty nice.

The biggest perk is getting housing allowance and not having to live in the barracks.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Ham Equity posted:

DOUBLE your rate of "less than one-thousandth of a percent"

Lol

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

ranbo das posted:

That's not even a rich person thing.

If you're actually rich you contribute a shitton to a 529 for your kid, you buy a house near campus. You then take like $6k a month out of the 529 for rent and pocket it, allowing you to both pay for the house and avoid paying taxes on investments.

Then your kid rents out rooms to other people and pockets that cash.

It's basically grifts all the way down

From what I recall to do this you still need to charge your kid "fair market value" so it's probably not gonna be 6k per month. Everything else is spot on

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

icecastle posted:

From what I recall to do this you still need to charge your kid "fair market value" so it's probably not gonna be 6k per month. Everything else is spot on

You think student housing is less then 6k a month?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Heffer posted:

This should be a Judd Apatow movie.

Also, I remember hearing an old story where in Texas I think you could prove residency with a business license. So $40 later you could qualify for in state

isn't that just this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Now_Pronounce_You_Chuck_%26_Larry with college aged people

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole but a lot of posts about FAFSA dependent/independent status are wrong (you have options if your parents refuse to pay), and more elite schools also have you fill out what’s called the CSS Profile which is a much deeper dive into your finances than the FAFSA, which mostly focused on AGI and can be gamed.

One of the big issues with the FAFSA is if you own a business or a farm you can be very poor to the FAFSA and very rich in reality. I don’t want to go into too much detail, but I see this all the time.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 10, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Also almost nobody pays sticker price for private school undergraduate tuition

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Only international students pay rack rate. And not even all of them.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

Only international students pay rack rate. And not even all of them.

Also dumb rich kids applying to top 50 schools. They benefited immensely from test optional admissions because their low scores can’t hold them back!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Also dumb rich kids applying to top 50 schools. They benefited immensely from test optional admissions because their low scores can’t hold them back!

Oh right, them too. But their parents are paying more than rack rate, they're buying stones/monuments/buildings too to get their failchildren in.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Upgrade posted:

Surely it can’t be “almost no one?” Harvard lists 57% of students receiving need based aid. I’m sure there are enough rich people to pay sticker for the USCs of the world.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Surely it can’t be “almost no one?” Harvard lists 57% of students receiving need based aid. I’m sure there are enough rich people to pay sticker for the USCs of the world.

My daughter does not receive what would be categorized as "need based aid" yet she/me absolutely is not being charged rack rate at a private university that charges similarly to Harvard/Princeton/Penn/Yale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Residency Evil posted:

Merit aid. I work in this space professionally and from the last data I looked at it was like sub 5%.