Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

zoux posted:

Smeagol was a different flavor of proto-hobbit right? Anyway that dude is kicking around right now, I can absolutely see the final shot of this series being him dragging the ring from river muck.

He is a Stoor, one of the other Hobbit ethnic groups. He was descended from a refugee group that went back east across the misty mountains during the wars with Angmar, but other than Smeagol, not much is remembered about them as eventually that group either returned to the shire, or met an ill end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fre Merzasphor
Mar 8, 2006
Yeah, he was a Stoor if I remember correctly. It would not surprise me if they work him in at the end.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Fre Merzasphor posted:

Yeah, he was a Stoor if I remember correctly. It would not surprise me if they work him in at the end.

they better not, but i could see them violating that "refugee" part of canon, and just show hobbits settling in the gladden fields area.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Smeagol was a different flavor of proto-hobbit right? Anyway that dude is kicking around right now, I can absolutely see the final shot of this series being him dragging the ring from river muck.

I don't think he is kicking around right now. Things that have to happen before Smeagol finds the ring:

- The Forge is made
- The Rings are Forged
- The One Ring is Forged in secret
- The War Against Sauron
- Defeat of Sauron
- Isuldur kicks around with the One Ring for...I don't know how long
- Isuldur loses the ring
- Ring goes down river

And then Smeagol finds it. And that's just going off of what I know from the first books and the movies, I haven't started The Silmarillion yet. Now, I don't know how long each of those events take, or how long Smeagol's people live, but I'd guess he hasn't been born yet.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I don't think he is kicking around right now. Things that have to happen before Smeagol finds the ring:

- The Forge is made
- The Rings are Forged
- The War Against Sauron
- Defeat of Sauron
- Isuldur kicks around with the One Ring for...I don't know how long
- Isuldur loses the ring
- Ring goes down river

And then Smeagol finds it. And that's just going off of what I know from the first books and the movies, I haven't started The Silmarillion yet. Now, I don't know how long each of those events take, or how long Smeagol's people live, but I'd guess he hasn't been born yet.

Gollum was like 550 when he dies. He finds the ring ~2.5k years after Isildur's death. the showrunner has said they wont contradict anything, which i know some people might thing condensing the storyline does but they meant they wont change Third Age stuff, but who knows they easily could just do it anyway and it'll be terrible.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

zoux posted:

Gollum has his own spin-off in the works.
https://twitter.com/GollumGame/status/1545431747789312007

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i hope no one plays that at all

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We gets to slink around Middle-Earth being a sneak-thief?

Doesn’t sound great to me, but different strokes and all.

Fre Merzasphor
Mar 8, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Gollum was like 550 when he dies. He finds the ring ~2.5k years after Isildur's death. the showrunner has said they wont contradict anything, which i know some people might thing condensing the storyline does but they meant they wont change Third Age stuff, but who knows they easily could just do it anyway and it'll be terrible.

I took that to mean that they wouldn’t contradict the Jackson films, which still leaves lots of room for TA shenanigans.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
stealth games piss me off but I hope he gets to ambush strangle people.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He throttles orcses, precious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Noam Chomsky posted:

Radaghast could make some sense, too. Him hanging out with these more wild hobbits would make sense.

Random Harfoot: You ever taken mushrooms?
Radagast: No, but.... well.... just once couldn't hurt, surely?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Asema posted:

do amazon shows go up at midnight or 3am est

I didn’t see anyone answer you but it’s the other direction, they go up midnight GMT which is 8 edt I believe. So new ep in about 2 hours, at which point this thread will hopefully become readable again this show apparently doesn’t follow the standard Amazon release so ignore

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 8, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Starks posted:

I didn’t see anyone answer you but it’s the other direction, they go up midnight GMT which is 8 edt I believe

Wait, really? I thought they said that last week was going to be the exception since it was the premiere, when it went up Thursday evening, but normally it would go up overnight for EST.

fake edit: Or EDT, what the gently caress ever it's called right now.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, really? I thought they said that last week was going to be the exception since it was the premiere, when it went up Thursday evening, but normally it would go up overnight for EST.

fake edit: Or EDT, what the gently caress ever it's called right now.

Oh well maybe I’m wrong and they’re doing it differently for this show. In the past that’s how Amazon shows worked, I would always watch The Boys at like 9 on Thursdays.

Edit Google would seem to indicate they are doing it differently for this show and it airs at midnight eastern

Starks fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 8, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Starks posted:

Oh well maybe I’m wrong and they’re doing it differently for this show. In the past that’s how Amazon shows worked, I would always watch The Boys at like 9 on Thursdays.

You may be right, and I never tried and just missed out. I always watched The Boys on Friday mornings. Maybe I did so like an idiot.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
It should release in a little less than 6 hours from now. 12 PM ET/9 PM PT/5 AM BST.

EDIT: Yes, sorry, 12 AM ET.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 9, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

rkd_ posted:

It should release in a little less than 6 hours from now. 12 PM ET/9 PM PT/5 AM BST.

*12 AM ET. Minor correction.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

thrawn527 posted:

- The Forge is made
- The Rings are Forged
- The War Against Sauron
- Defeat of Sauron

You might've just listed our five seasons there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Noam Chomsky posted:

You might've just listed our five seasons there.

Oh hey, look at that.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Jerusalem posted:

Something I love to think about is the mixture of excitement and pure terror Sauron must have felt when he realized the ring had made it all the way into Mount Doom without him realizing, but now he had a chance to grab it at the last second everything was fine everything was going to be all riiiii ..... oh that loving little poo poo Gollum Eru-dam--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dûr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgûl, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.”

GimpInBlack posted:

I don't see any plausible way he's a Balrog. For one thing, to the vast majority of the viewing audience, a Balrog is a giant scary fire demon. Not only has there not been any hint in the show that Maiar can change forms, the show hasn't even mentioned Maiar or Valar at all. There's a ton of groundwork that would have to be laid for the average audience to understand it.

I mean, the show will have to deal with the Maiar changing forms at some point, unless Annatar is going to be 10 feet tall to match the previous shots of Sauron as spiky-armour man of doom

Yuiiut fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 9, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yuiiut posted:

I mean, the show will have to deal with the Maiar changing forms at some point, unless Annatar is going to be 10 feet tall to match the previous shots of Sauron as spiky-armour man of doom

I can't imagine the Stranger being a Balrog, but I think there's a weird but interesting story that can be told if he's secretly Annatar/Sauron. Even though it's speculation, I'll spoiler my guess because, who knows, it might be right:

After Morgoth's end the elves are ruthlessly hunting for Sauron. We see the end of that hunt at the beginning of this series. So, there's no place on the world that Sauron can be safe. So, he leaves the world, catapulating himself into the stars themselves to regain he power unmolested in a safe place in the hope that he'll be forgotten and can eventually return and strike with surprise on his side. However, when Sauron does return he's lost to himself and much of his power, though regained, is unavailable to him. He's found by Nori who helps bring him to the place where he can reclaim his full mind and power (possibly at the cost of her own life).

However evil Sauron is, Nori's compassion, unlooked, unasked for and unselfish, weighs on him and demands an answer in kind. So, Sauron leads the Harfoots to a place well out of the way of the coming events of the world where he uses his power in a perverse (to him) way to bless and protect - The Shire. It's why the Hobbits and the Shire is mostly untouched, why the Ring is more willing to reveal itself to them and why Hobbits are so resistant to its corruption. Thousands of years later Gandalf has sensed the echoes of The Enemy's use of power on The Shire so he investigates and keeps coming back - because he cannot for the life of himself figure WTF kind of horrific evil Sauron did - because this was one of the only truly good things Sauron did.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

God that looks (and sounds!) terrible. I couldn’t stand that voice actor in just the video and those graphics look like a kids’ game from the early 00’s. Jesus that’s gonna flop so hard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was that game in development before or after the video game company bought out the Lord of the Rings rights?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The Stranger is Tom Bombadil, come to guide the Harfoots north to discover the Shire and put down roots.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yuiiut posted:

“And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dûr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgûl, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.”

loving metal.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Yuiiut posted:

My second favorite passage, the first being the Witch King's blood curdling threat to Eowyn of which the film disapointingly only uses the first line.

edit: that whole scene really

Book 5, Chapter 6 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields posted:

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand before me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead I will smite you if you touch him."

2nd level spells fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2nd level spells posted:

My second favorite passage, the first being the Witch King's blood curdling threat to Eowyn of which the film disapointingly only uses the first line.

I don't recall all of that, but I do recall her blood failing to curdle and her giving him the "It's on like Donkey Kong" with "I am no man."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Smeagol was born many centuries into the Third Age but none of that madeup bullshit is relevant to Jeffrey Bezos's Prestigious Fantasy Epic so hell ya bring on gollum

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it's all sort of made up, isn't it

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress! It’s 9pm EST so I go to watch the new episode, it’s not on so I’m like yknow “wtf” so some googling and I find out that it’ll be 12am from now on. What the actual gently caress.

I’m so mad sad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everyone posted:

I don't recall all of that, but I do recall her blood failing to curdle and her giving him the "It's on like Donkey Kong" with "I am no man."

I always thought condensing that whole Eowyn scene to "I am no man" was both a) a terrible disservice to the text and b) a wonderful example of how to adapt an unfilmable bit of dialogue to another medium so it has the perfect texture for delivery to a large audience. I both hate and love it with equal intensity

Rankin-Bass adapted that scene word-for-word and it was just ridiculous, she's monologuing and the Witch-king is making that "yeah yeah wrap it up already" gesture

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Late to the party on this convo, but PJ making elves do twirly cgi bullshit was always the absolute worst part of LOTR, and especially bad in the hobbit trilogy, so seeing a little bit of it here sucks but it's not the end of the world.

People saying elves are like DBZ characters are waaaaay wrong though, as I have already posted about previously in this thread:

Kaedric posted:

Naw this is just people being marvel-brained. In tolkien's works outside of nebulous 'magic' like influencing people or (very rarely) exploding pinecones/fireworks, there is very little in the way of 'superpowers'. Being one of the first born and seeing the light of the trees doesn't literally give people superpowers by soaking in the gamma radiation. Tolkien treats these people as just being essentially what legends are made of. They were capable of mighty acts that affected the world at large, because it was a 'legendary' time. Earendil fighting Ancalagon the black (the mightiest dragon to have ever lived) does not include him, like, blocking the dragon's claw over his head with a sword, or grabbing his tail and swinging him around like a cat. These are fights that lasted days, because that's what makes a good legend.

I really hope there is very little of 'power level' brought into these stories, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Here is Fingolfin challenging Morgoth:

quote:

Morgoth issued forth clad in black armour; and he stood before the King like a tower iron-crowned, and his vast shield, sable unblazoned, cast a shadow over him like a stormcloud. But Fingolfin gleamed beneath it as a star; for his mail was overlaid with silver, and his blue shield was set with crystals; and he drew his sword Ringil, that glittered like ice.

Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth.... Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away...; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands.

But at last the King grew weary, and Morgoth bore down his shield upon him. Thrice he was crushed to his knees, and thrice arose again and bore up his broken shield and stricken helm. But the earth was all pitted about him, and he stumbled and fell backward before the feet of Morgoth; and Morgoth set his left foot upon his neck, and the weight of it was like a fallen hill.... Yet with his last and desperate stroke Fingolfin hewed the foot with Ringil, and the blood gushed forth black and smoking and filled the pits of Grond.

Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-kings of old. The Orcs made no boast of that duel at the gate; neither do the Elves sing of it, for their sorrow is too deep.

Somehow, in my mind's eye, I don't see Fingolfin spinning like a top and running up Morgoth's mace to slice him while also having his back turned because it's cool and epic to not look at the people you're attacking.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm gonna be honest I can't imagine that fight going as nothing but exactly over-the-top fancy, either that or as Morgoth still being huge and fingolfin doing a shadow of the colossus/god of war on him. Yes I know he wasn't that big anymore but I'm glad someone painted this

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna be honest I can't imagine that fight going as nothing but exactly over-the-top fancy, either that or as Morgoth still being huge and fingolfin doing a shadow of the colossus/god of war on him. Yes I know he wasn't that big anymore but I'm glad someone painted this

That looks metal as gently caress but for me this is the og:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/b/b0/Melkor3.pjpg.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100106165045

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 9, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hotlinking doesn't work, and yeah I love John Howe but I'll admit that when I read I thought Morgoth looked considerably bigger so reading all the dumb art on the internet from nerds who thought of the fight the same way as I did felt nice.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Anita Dickinme posted:

What the gently caress! It’s 9pm EST so I go to watch the new episode, it’s not on so I’m like yknow “wtf” so some googling and I find out that it’ll be 12am from now on. What the actual gently caress.

I’m so mad sad.

Same. Weren't the first two episodes at 9p EST?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
think they did that to get past the leaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Kaedric posted:

Here is Fingolfin challenging Morgoth:

Somehow, in my mind's eye, I don't see Fingolfin spinning like a top and running up Morgoth's mace to slice him while also having his back turned because it's cool and epic to not look at the people you're attacking.

You may think it looks stupid as it's been put to film but the Elves and beings above them absolutely have superhero level power and as such can do what you see in the films.

How, exactly, do you think an elf fights Morgoth one on one, or a half elf fights and kills Ancalagon without "Marvel brained" super powers?

I'm sorry you think it takes away from the seriousness of this fantasy epic but you're incredibly wrong. Like just logically, mathematically you're wrong.

If you wetr right then a human could duel Morgoth and win, which would be absurd.

The books completely establish a hierarchy of power.

An elf can duel a being two rungs above him in cosmic power, who is the size of a building, but elves doing acrobatics are outside the realm of possibility? Think, man, think.

Also, LotR has Beowulf and Aurthurian DNA. Beowulf is basically Captain America on steroids. There seems to be a disconnect between what you think LotR is and what it actually is.

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 9, 2022