Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

I just FTP or Warpinator/Winpinator things to one directory and then Steam Link into the Deck's desktop mode to use my PC's KB+M on the Deck to move them where they need to be.

How do you steam link into desktop mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Go into the terminal and make a symlink in your home directory to the sd card, then you just follow that in your ftp client or whatever else you're using

ln -s /run/mmcblkwhatever sd

Then /home/deck/sd/ will be the sd card

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is the brain-dead option? holy poo poo, linux people

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just install the anydesk flatpak and then run anydesk on windows

It’s free for anything you’d want to do with the deck

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah, more braindead than needing to remote in to move stuff to the right place every time.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Go into the terminal and make a symlink in your home directory to the sd card, then you just follow that in your ftp client or whatever else you're using

Trying this Windows File Explorer tries to open "sd" in Edge browser and two other FTP clients I tried can't see the symlink. Trying to navigate to it directly is displaying errors "points to a path which is outside the user's root directory."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

Most FTP servers will not let your symlink outside the user area, so that probably doesn’t work? I haven’t tried it, apologies if you have.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FTP maybe not, kinda assumed they meant SFTP which does work fine

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

D O R K Y posted:

Answering my own question:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/8/3105764348181505385/

https://media.steampowered.com/steamlink/windows/latest/SteamLink.zip

This is much more manageable with remote desktop capability, so it at least solves for my use case.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

you can also easily do this through the file explorer GUI, but pasting a single line is much faster than that for both the one describing the process, and the one following it :v:

homeless snail posted:

FTP maybe not, kinda assumed they meant SFTP which does work fine

yeah always use sftp anyway because it's safer, but also you kinda need to do some effort to make sshd chroot sftp users so symlinks will work fine out of the box

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

D O R K Y posted:

Through the Steam Link app. There's also a standalone version if you prefer that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Go into the terminal
Holy poo poo, Linux nerds.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
you could always install a rootless podman container to run distrobox so you can set up a samba share :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm not computer illiterate by any means (linux though, yes) but goddamn this thread scares me for when my deck will get here.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Symbolic links require command line fuckery in Windows too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm not computer illiterate by any means (linux though, yes) but goddamn this thread scares me for when my deck will get here.

I'm very confused because I could've sworn when I wanted to move stuff onto my deck I just plugged it into the USB port on my PC and it showed up as a drive in file explorer. Maybe that was a fever dream though?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Alright, can anyone explain what Offline Mode actually does? Yes, "it lets you play games offline" I get that, but I can't find any real explanation for how it facilitates that.

Particularly, how is it different from simply launching a game with no Internet connection?

Do you have to be online when you turn Offline Mode on--so.you have to plan ahead? On this latter point it sounds like "yes" although that may have been fixed in a recent update?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is there any kind of home-made cloud save solution for games that don’t support it (including emulated ones?)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Alright, can anyone explain what Offline Mode actually does? Yes, "it lets you play games offline" I get that, but I can't find any real explanation for how it facilitates that.

Particularly, how is it different from simply launching a game with no Internet connection?

Do you have to be online when you turn Offline Mode on--so.you have to plan ahead? On this latter point it sounds like "yes" although that may have been fixed in a recent update?

It saves you a few seconds loading a game as it skips trying to sync to the cloud.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Its a relic of, years and years ago when Steam did not like losing its connection unexpectedly and you did need to go into offline mode to play games offline. Doesn't really do anything anymore and I thought they said they were going to remove the option because its useless and confusing but I guess they haven't yet. Only time it really is relevant is if you launch Steam from the start offline, then it automatically starts in offline mode and you have to restart it to get online. Don't worry about it.

Papercut posted:

I'm very confused because I could've sworn when I wanted to move stuff onto my deck I just plugged it into the USB port on my PC and it showed up as a drive in file explorer. Maybe that was a fever dream though?
That was a dream, it doesnt do that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Is there any kind of home-made cloud save solution for games that don’t support it (including emulated ones?)
Dropbox, syncthing, rclone, whatever network sync thing you like works fine for that purpose

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

I use rsync to make backups of my ~/.var/app directory (includes everything related to Flatpaks I have installed).

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's been 19 years and no one has figured out how to make steam offline mode work

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have an example earlier in the thread about how offline mode might be a good idea to use.

I was playing a game on my main Pc and downloading stuff onto my deck. Things finished downloading on my deck and I put it to sleep while I was still playing a game on my Pc.

I left the house with my deck and then I woke it up to play a game it wouldn’t load any games because it still thought I was still playing on my main Pc. Offline mode wouldn’t do anything either. The only solution was to connect to my hotspot so the deck could check in.

So putting the deck into offline mode would let me game on my deck and main Pc (probably).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Do the 2.0 ports on the JSAUX dock put out power? Apparently the dongle I got doesn't charge my controller, want to upgrade to something that'll work better

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

put some money into steam bucks, so far i should get mine by the end of the month

and the car needed a loving new battery, rotors, brakes, and front wheel bearings

img-jimcarreycomeon.gif

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hammer Bro. posted:

You're gonna love the feeling of playing one of your own games directly on the Deck.

I never get past the tech demo stage and it's still intoxicating.

First thing I did with it, it's a super old build bit it was still cool 😎

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Is it actually possible to play GOG titles on Steam Deck? It sounds like it should be obvious, but I'm clueless at the best of times.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yes, you install the Heroic launcher from the Discover store then put in your GOG account and it'll work. Heroic also supports the Epic store.

E: It's not as full-featured as Steam though, it doesn't support cloud saves and you'll probably have to fiddle with Proton versions and controller configs manually to get poo poo to work.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 9, 2022

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Gay Retard posted:

So I really want to pick up a guitar peripheral or two - is there a consensus among the Clone Hero community as to which one to buy?

Yes, the white XPlorer that was originally for the 360. It's wired and fully functional. You'll probably have to get a USB dongle for it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I put my deck into offline mode so it doesn't make my desktop poo poo the bed because I have the temerity to have a f2p idle game running

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Suburban Dad posted:

As a Linux nerd I'll say you don't need to do anything except plug it in, log into Steam and download games. Everything else is extra for tinkerers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the Deck is pretty simple actually, most games Just Work™. There are some pretty cool things you can do with it if you're up to the tinkering, but if you're not you can just download and play Steam games almost as if it were a Switch.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Tagaziel posted:

Is it actually possible to play GOG titles on Steam Deck? It sounds like it should be obvious, but I'm clueless at the best of times.

You don't even necessarily need to go as full-featured or complicated as Heroic launcher - especially if the target game has a linux version already.

With gog, you can just switch to desktop mode, use chrome or firefox to download the linux installer for the game you want, run that to install the game somewhere then in steam desktop mode select "add a non-steam game" and browse to where you installed it and pick the launch script.

then you can make it pretty using https://www.steamgriddb.com/

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, the Deck is pretty simple actually, most games Just Work™. There are some pretty cool things you can do with it if you're up to the tinkering, but if you're not you can just download and play Steam games almost as if it were a Switch.

This. And it's arguably simpler and less risky to go beyond the initial premise on a Deck than on a Switch. Installing emudeck and having every emulator under the sun is pretty straightforward/risk-free stuff compared to flashing a Switch's firmware for homebrew.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I read a lot about not installing Windows directly to an SD card due to them not handling that level of random read/writes well. Is that not true, or something old/bad SD cards deal with that newer ones can handle?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's true. SD isn't good at random I/O. Newer cards do increase the number of in-flights IOPs they can queue if you buy an A2 card, but even there it's only an improvement over past generations not performance comparable to the NVMe drive in any way.

They do well enough for sequential read IO, which is why the Deck does fine when you play games off them.

Windows on the SD is not going to perform anywhere near as well as having it on a partition on the NVMe.

But having it on an SD is just so convenient it may make the performance drop bearable depending on your use case. For instance the only thing I'm interested in with Windows right now is being able to run Wabbajack mod lists and those games are old enough they should be able to run fine even with a lower performance storage medium under them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

But having it on an SD is just so convenient it may make the performance drop bearable depending on your use case. For instance the only thing I'm interested in with Windows right now is being able to run Wabbajack mod lists and those games are old enough they should be able to run fine even with a lower performance storage medium under them.

Yeah this is where I am at.

It’s convenient.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I’m not worried about performance. I was worried about killing the SD card absurdly quick. If that’s not a thing, I won’t worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh ok anydesk is much simpler than warpinator this def feels like the move for doing desktop poo poo without getting a dock to hook up a mouse etc