Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

babypolis posted:

none of the defilers are bad but the only spectacular one is the green one, the rest are just kinda mediocre and should not be picked highly. 2 color pips is just so bad in this format, all the splashing makes triggering them hard, the white red and black ones have pretty negligible effects, and the blue one has a good effect but blue barely plays any permanents

You know how to lose with the green defiler. Draw 11 lands in your top 20. Ask me how I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

flatluigi posted:

there isn't a 'non-chaplain defender strategy.' maybe if you get the black one that makes the opponent lose life or the blue one that mills you can win off of having enough walls, but i wouldn't even try to get in the strategy unless you get chaplain or one of those two extremely early b/c otherwise whoever else decides they want to be in defenders will suck up all the ones you want to have

also any defiler is worth having in limited

I just lost to a pile of walls and two blight piles cranking it every turn to dome me for 4 each time, feels bad

*I had them down to 4 too before they got All The Walls and removal

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Boxman posted:

I think the mistake that ties a lot of the mistakes together was hedging toward domain a bit too much. Some of this is probably a fairly specific leak (I had just come off of some success with domain over in Sealed), but more broadly, do you have any thoughts about balancing the need to hit domain with Bortuk (and to help out the other, admittedly less important domain cards) with cards for the main theme of the deck? This feels like it'll be a running theme of the format.

You would have to evaluate your pool and cards on a case-by-case basis throughout the draft, which is why I find the drafts so interesting. Bortuk's fail case is a 6 mana 4/4 Gravedigger, which is still okay to good. You have 2s and 3s plus self mill, so it's likely you would get use of the Domain effect by the time you get to 6 mana.

Sojourner is an awkward one because it's not worth it till you get 4 or 5 types, but you would still include for War-Leech and creature count. Rootwalla (and Prophecy) I think are fine at 3+ types, I've played Gruul beats with a few duals.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Eej posted:

I just lost to a pile of walls and two blight piles cranking it every turn to dome me for 4 each time, feels bad

*I had them down to 4 too before they got All The Walls and removal

yeah, sorry, i meant that as in 'if you get those cards early instead of the bird wall, give it a shot.' both the blight pile and the mill wall can win games; they just don't do it as easy as the bird wall does for free + aren't as hard of a push to the archetype because of it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

babypolis posted:

none of the defilers are bad but the only spectacular one is the green one, the rest are just kinda mediocre and should not be picked highly.

They're all above rate creatures with additional upside. Aside from the white one you should probably be taking them above every common/uncommon

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

Glad the last one worked out!

Yeah opening only 1 dual is sad. I don't know if I want to be multicolour because all the fixing costs 3 mana and there aren't many good cards to splash. Your instinct is correct I think, WR is the most coherent deck I could come up with and it's close to a good WR draft deck. I tried building UR but it was missing a few playables and the cheap interaction that deck needs to get Amplifiers through.

https://sealeddeck.tech/u9NQ3K1Fpp

well we'll never know, I submitted my deck and went 2-2. Connecting with Shanna once basically ended the game but most of the rest of the time I was kind of derping around

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Just had a 0-2 deck freeze on the domain popup after casting yavimaya sojourner. yaaaay

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ive gotten a couple 6-3s this set but finally trophied with this

frankly kinda thought this deck was going to brick pretty badly. the draft was extremely tenuous in the first pack between a R/x spells or W/B beatdown but a bunch of green poo poo ended up being the glue i needed. the mana base is still fairly iffy, and cost me a game, but hey.

electrostatic infantry is real in any deck, not just UR, is what i learned. also threats undetected is incredibly good, and that copy wheeled lol

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't think I'm ever going to open another sealed pool like this again so I'm glad I had a great time riding this all the way to 7-1. Disregard the lands; I had to fix up them up after taking the pic but before playing- between the Weatherseed saga and ramp elves I never had mana trouble. Only loss was a freak flood at game 7.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another 1-3.

I had been doing a decent job of breaking even but three sub-50%s in two days have quickly depleted my reserves, I guess I should pause

Two words: Magic Spellslingers.

In all seriousness though, the new Spellslingers D&D set adds class cards, which reminds me of the 'questlines' that plagued Hearthstone. They're pretty busted so far.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

little munchkin posted:

They're all above rate creatures with additional upside. Aside from the white one you should probably be taking them above every common/uncommon

im pretty sure thats not true. like just looking at their winrates, only the green one has a pretty high one at 61.9. then red is sitting at a respectable 60%, but still lower than many uncommons and even some commons. the rest range from ok (58% range for the white and black ones) to actually kinda bad for the blue one at 56.4% (not surprising given the lack of blue permanents). i was slightly too dismissive of them but besides the green one they arent really bomb rare status. 2 pips of mana is just a big ask in this format and they ask for things most decks dont want to do (play a lot of permanents of a single color)

Ive actually drafted the red one a bunch and its always kind of just there because if im going deep into red im probably in UR, which doesnt actually want to play many red permanents. every time it was basically a 4 mana 4/4 first strike which is pretty solid but also not something im going nuts for. id much rather pick a strong uncommon that actually gives me some direction

babypolis fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 9, 2022

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Bugsy posted:

So thats why village rites wasn't working. Arena is hosed up for mobile.

Thought that "as an additional cost to cast this spell" cards were bugged, as I tested bone shards and severed strands both of which did nothing against sparky.

it is waiting for you to do it, the little prompt that normally appears under the spell is not appearing. ive hit it a couple of times between causality and gibbering barricade and other things, but if you tap the card you want to use as the additional cost the "submit" button should show up where it normally does. its very confusing though!

e:casualty not causality lol

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 9, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Anyways got the 3-0 trophy with this greedy rear end pile. i love this format so much

I had some incredible games too. match 1 game 3 I managed to outvalue a chaplain deck at full power (technically they lost to time, but they had 1 card left in library and probably no way to kill me). match 2 game 3 my back was agaisnt the wall to a RW deck and I had to a bunch of really specific plays to have any chance of winning, felt pretty good to get that win

babypolis fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 9, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

im struggling to think of a red deck that doesnt want the red defiler pretty bad outside of a blue heavy UR

4/4 first strike is fairly brutal on board

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

https://www.17lands.com/draft/38d2678ad47c450f91eab01b005861c4/1/1

Not happy with this draft but honestly don't know if there was a better lane to take, felt like a lot of the packs I was passed were just mediocre. Hoping thread will be willing to take a look and tell me what I missed.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

studio mujahideen posted:

im struggling to think of a red deck that doesnt want the red defiler pretty bad outside of a blue heavy UR

4/4 first strike is fairly brutal on board

im just never going that deep into red outside of UR. even then its because the spells, outside the outrider and land goblin (both easy and powerful splashes) all the red creatures kinda suck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

babypolis posted:

none of the defilers are bad but the only spectacular one is the green one, the rest are just kinda mediocre and should not be picked highly. 2 color pips is just so bad in this format, all the splashing makes triggering them hard, the white red and black ones have pretty negligible effects, and the blue one has a good effect but blue barely plays any permanents

Yeah I purposefully didn't pick the blue defiler in my draft because I thought blue might not be a main color and then it would be a wasted pick, since I had two previous drafts where I picked double pipped black rares and couldn't support them.

It was unfortunate that one of the other colors dried up and blue ended up being open...

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the WR beatdown deck is very real, and doesn't really need to splash, its great in there. and I guess it might be a tossup in RG domain deck depending on how their mana works out, but eh

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

studio mujahideen posted:

the WR beatdown deck is very real, and doesn't really need to splash, its great in there. and I guess it might be a tossup in RG domain deck depending on how their mana works out, but eh

Yeah I guess this comes down to personal preference a lot. Im all about grabbing every recursion thing I see in this format so im just very rarely going down that path. Like I said 60% GIH WR is pretty respectable, it just kinda demands a playstyle im not wild for

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quite stretched out posted:

it is waiting for you to do it, the little prompt that normally appears under the spell is not appearing. ive hit it a couple of times between causality and gibbering barricade and other things, but if you tap the card you want to use as the additional cost the "submit" button should show up where it normally does. its very confusing though!

Interesting. That sure is a fun change to how theses spells have worked since I started playing arena.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
That's the beauty of this format, there's support for a lot of archetypes. I personally would pick a number of uncommons over red defiler because I see it as a B. There are a few cards at common in that 4+ mv slot I'm also happy to run that aren't much worse than defiler.

Speaking of GRx domain I've been enjoying it, I get to run combat tricks that are also Dark Ritual with the 7R 5/5 trample monstrosities. And the best common in the format, Lava Axe that comes with a 4/4 reach body.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How many Essence Scatters should one play

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played against someone the other night running at least 5, and a bunch of Domain bullshit.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Bugsy posted:

Interesting. That sure is a fun change to how theses spells have worked since I started playing arena.

yeah it sucks. i keep hitting the start of the afk timer because i think the game is waiting for the enemy to do something, rather than expecting input from me, and not realise its waiting on me. i hope it is some change they made accidentally and it gets reverted because as it is i feel real bad making my opponent wait 30 seconds for no reason lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The format some creators are calling "GOAT"...

In the meantime, I think I "get" hbrawl now?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

upper limit is going to depend on how many vortexes/geysers you have

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

wei posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/521Vyra5dj URb is the obvious build to me, it's very synergistic for a sealed deck.
https://sealeddeck.tech/Ufj8TTL37O This is the fun grindy 5c build. There's a ton of removal, duals and two Reposessions so there's a good greed pile. The Shanna splash is a little out there but you have a lot of lifegain triggers in this deck. You can discard the her or creatures you can't play to Goblin Picker, and get them back with Repossession later.

https://sealeddeck.tech/LwTEg3yfYy Not a lot duals or powerful cards in this one, so I would just try to get under your opponents. Fortunately your twos are pretty good at that and 3 Outriders can get in the last points of damage.

I went 0-3 with the URb build. Not blaming you, but I honestly think the way the deck draws in limited really does want me to kill myself.

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So I know you can untap and kill Sheoldred before the draw step to avoid the damage, but is there a way to get the game to stop there without keeping on full control? Situation where they cast it at the end of their turn and it immediately switches over and draws.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

scytale posted:

So I know you can untap and kill Sheoldred before the draw step to avoid the damage, but is there a way to get the game to stop there without keeping on full control? Situation where they cast it at the end of their turn and it immediately switches over and draws.

Putting a stop on your beginning phase should do the trick.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
If you have the phases displayed (bottom right or to the sides of your avatar) you should be able to set a stop in your upkeep by clicking on the far left one.

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
And just do that every turn playing vs someone with black after turn 4?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

A Moose posted:

At this point if you still play arena on mobile, you signed up for this poo poo.

It's my only way to play!! :mad:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Anyway, does anyone know if this issue on mobile has been resolved yet? Does it affect anything in draft? Should I wait to finish my current draft til after it's been fixed just in case?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

fridge corn posted:

Anyway, does anyone know if this issue on mobile has been resolved yet? Does it affect anything in draft? Should I wait to finish my current draft til after it's been fixed just in case?

Assuming it's the same problem I have, I haven't tried drafting on my phone but in matches you can still cast the spell, you just have to select your desired extra cost target when you see your timer start. from there it should bring up the submit button like normal. Not ideal but it's not fully broken

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
also i fuckin love herd migration. card fuckin goes off

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

flatluigi posted:

yeah, sorry, i meant that as in 'if you get those cards early instead of the bird wall, give it a shot.' both the blight pile and the mill wall can win games; they just don't do it as easy as the bird wall does for free + aren't as hard of a push to the archetype because of it
dropping a walking bulwark mid to late game on a field with some academy walls or gibbering barricades on it can do some damage too. Been able to drop a bulwark, animate everything and swing for lethal out of nowhere with a bunch of unassuming walls multiple times when I hadn't drawn the chaplain.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Tolarian terror is insane for a common..that plus the new Haughty Djinn are making mono blue tempo strong again

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone want to take a look at a very rough set of sealed packs and give me their thoughts on what to play? 1 playable rare (and 3 painlands) and nothing really is jumping out to me here. I think I have to play black because double bone splinters is all I really have for removal, maybe black/red splash green for radha and blue for rona's vortex? Pool feels like a low powered mess

https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/pool/bfd8a4469f3645968f660ff255059e2d

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've got enough WCs for an explorer deck. Something top tier? Spirits? Something dumb? Gates? Something else? What's fun in there?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Anyone want to take a look at a very rough set of sealed packs and give me their thoughts on what to play? 1 playable rare (and 3 painlands) and nothing really is jumping out to me here. I think I have to play black because double bone splinters is all I really have for removal, maybe black/red splash green for radha and blue for rona's vortex? Pool feels like a low powered mess

https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/pool/bfd8a4469f3645968f660ff255059e2d

https://sealeddeck.tech/9U00j6NSJQ

Something like this? I'm phone posting so I can't do a proper build. White gives you Aron and fodder for Bone Splinters. The defender package is small but okay, hopefully you can recur Wingmantle Chaplain (you can sac her to splinters or the rare Cleric). You can splash any third colour for relatively cheap, I just went with blue for Micromancer and another interaction spell. Essence Scatter is playable too.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure about the defender package, I really dislike running Drawbridges

wei fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 9, 2022