Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/1567975493646913538?t=CGKsReTBynNv-db5UksI5g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
We're having to have a silent picket today because we don't want any bad press for our strike in the papers. We also had a solidarity event with other groups/strikers this afternoon which has been cancelled.

This makes me so mad though I get the thought process. loving millionare actual queen dies and our strike needs to take action to pretend we care? urgh.

On another note people are already commenting on our union fb page like "The flag says it all (regarding the unite the union flag) we need to unite to commemorate a woman who gave 70+ years of service". I have no idea who put a pound in these people or if they think the flag is anti-independence but is this going to be social media for the next month? Everything somehow coming back to ar Liz.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If the Queen had come back from Aden demanding that the empire was awful and Aden should be freed, she would have been ignored. And as the British Empire pulled out of Aden, her demands to stay and keep the british army involved to pacify the country would have similarly been ignored. The British Empire was not controlled by the monarchy, and pretending the Queen is the source of that evil is just sparing the politicians and establishment which did perpetuate the Empire.

Who is "the establishment" here if it doesn't include the Queen and the Royal Family?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Bad news lads, going to have to retire my office mug

change it to I EATE SWANS imo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Just move the e in eat to the end.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and remove the W and the N and and and put the A at the start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dead Goon posted:

Every radio report has called him King Charles III, I thought he wasn't going to be King Charles, given the history of King Charles?

King Charles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWLouFHbIc

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

josh04 posted:

Actually I think we can say that the evils of the British Empire are directly connected to the British Monarchy? I think it's incredibly easy to say that and really very ridiculous to say otherwise?

Jeherrin posted:

Agreed. British imperialism has always, or at least until very recently, been conducted either directly by the monarchy, or in their name.

Ahh yes France stopped all their imperialism the moment those royal heads hit the floor.

I'd love to see the monarchy abolished, but the idea that they are the cause of all the evil poo poo we did is just nonsense.

happyhippy posted:

Orange order isn't a political party. If she was telling the DUP or such to do poo poo, then sure.

People threw poo poo fits when Charles said maybe we should take better care of the environment. The Orange order is incredibly political.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 9, 2022

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
She could have used her position and influence to speak out about the horrors of imperialism but her silence makes her complicit seeing as how it's benefitted her ilk for hundreds of years. Don't give me this "she has to stay out of politics" bullshit either, she was the queen she could speak out about anything if she actually wanted to.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

lol

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

crispix posted:

and remove the W and the N and and and put the A at the start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took me a minute, worth it.

One of my Scottish colleagues just told a director “it’d only be treason if I was in England, this is just sparkling disrespect” which made me laugh a lot, especially as no one else had a clue what he was on about.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If the Queen had come back from Aden demanding that the empire was awful and Aden should be freed, she would have been ignored. And as the British Empire pulled out of Aden, her demands to stay and keep the british army involved to pacify the country would have similarly been ignored. The British Empire was not controlled by the monarchy, and pretending the Queen is the source of that evil is just sparing the politicians and establishment which did perpetuate the Empire.

In a constitutional monarchy, it’s the job of the monarch to prevent a military coup, like the one that kicked off the Spanish Civil War.

A lot of countries, starting with France, faced a real risk of military coups when they started to draw down their empire. Under Elizabeth’s reign, like 80 or so countries left the Empire. Only a few of which were opposed militarily, with nothing on the scale of France’s wars in Algeria and Vietnam.

But all those rumours of coups against Wilson and so on remained just that; rumours. That sounds like a job well done.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

First complete day as a subject of King Charles III.

Gonna be honest it will be very interesting to see how things go under him, as someone in this thread alluded to, Liz's reputation as a neutral observer and Nation's Gran was a carefully cultivated propaganda effort, one her children were too arrogant or naïve to adhere to.

Will we see Bigears rise to the occasion? I feel he's probably too late to be the wizened elder statesman, and we know how he's interfered in domestic politics.

What will be interesting is how he is a stringent environmentalist, and his first PM is a former commercial manager for Shell. Bet their meetings will be fun.

A lot of people are willing to believe the queen had in theory a lot of power,but as she was a little old lady she always followed whatever the privy council/prime minister advised.

Will they do the same for a man, and Charles In particular? Possibly not

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

Ahh yes France stopped all their imperialism the moment those royal heads hit the floor.

I'd love to see the monarchy abolished, but the idea that they are the cause of all the evil poo poo we did is just nonsense.

People threw poo poo fits when Charles said maybe we should take better care of the environment. The Orange order is incredibly political.

Let people enjoy a royal dying you bore

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanford posted:

Took me a minute, worth it.

One of my Scottish colleagues just told a director “it’d only be treason if I was in England, this is just sparkling disrespect” which made me laugh a lot, especially as no one else had a clue what he was on about.

Looking forward to some low-key chuckling with my Indian colleagues today

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So has prince King Charles, the avid environmentalist, got to go and live in draughty old Buckingham palace now? Wonder what the heating bill there will be this winter?

I guess wherever he lives now is already probably quite big and old.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Holy gently caress. There’s going to be SEVENTEEN DAYS of this poo poo

https://twitter.com/MinnieStephC4/status/1568157986857619456

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCYdYGkfdsg

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Aphex- posted:

She could have used her position and influence to speak out about the horrors of imperialism but her silence makes her complicit seeing as how it's benefitted her ilk for hundreds of years. Don't give me this "she has to stay out of politics" bullshit either, she was the queen she could speak out about anything if she actually wanted to.

And we would have had King Charles III much sooner. The Royal family not playing ball with what parliament wanted was what lead to the abdication crisis. Would have been cool if she had? Sure, but the idea she could have with no repercussions isn't true.

Hopefully the popularity of Charles along with him unable to keep his opinions to himself can lead to us scrapping the whole farce completely.

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/MinnieStephC4/status/1568157986857619456

What even is 'a state of mourning' if its just flags at half mast then...who cares? If its everything cancelled for the entire time then loving hell lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

17 day period of mourning for the queen followed by 17 weeks of mourning the family members who died because they couldn't afford their energy bills during a bitching cold winter.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's royal mourning, so surely normal people don't have to do it?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Mega Comrade posted:

And we would have had King Charles III much sooner. The Royal family not playing ball with what parliament wanted was what lead to the abdication crisis. Would have been cool if she had? Sure, but the idea she could have with no repercussions isn't true.

Hopefully the popularity of Charles along with him unable to keep his opinions to himself can lead to us scrapping the whole farce completely.

What even is 'a state of mourning' if its just flags at half mast then...who cares? If its everything cancelled for the entire time then loving hell lol.

i think it might be everything cancelled, there's gonna be riots

seven days AFTER her funeral come on

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's royal mourning, so surely normal people don't have to do it?

If its bank holidays and an Irish style wake then I'm all game.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The civil service is supposedly to cancel all external meetings, events and comms while mourning is ongoing, so hope there isn't any vital work requiring meeting people outside government going on.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
17 day bank holiday, God bless you your highness.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have they released the cause of her death? Could she have had explosive diarrhea for the last 48 hours and shat herself to death?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

Have they released the cause of her death? Could she have had explosive diarrhea for the last 48 hours and shat herself to death?

Lost the 'Two Lizzes Enter, One Liz Leaves' showdown with Truss.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Just cover it to say 'I EAT SOULS'

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So the queen had no real power. Day 1, King cancels all football in the land. Hmmm

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Looking forward to some low-key chuckling with my Indian colleagues today

Two Indian brothers own my business and the older of the two, in his late sixties, has had to take the day off because he’s so upset. Absolutely inexplicable. I thought everyone was joking when they said.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sanford posted:

Two Indian brothers own my business and the older of the two, in his late sixties, has had to take the day off because he’s so upset. Absolutely inexplicable. I thought everyone was joking when they said.

For whatever weird reason there are quite a few very very pro Queenie people amongst the UK Asian community.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

smellmycheese posted:

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 9, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The civil service is supposedly to cancel all external meetings, events and comms while mourning is ongoing, so hope there isn't any vital work requiring meeting people outside government going on.

It's okay, I'm sure some of them will be allowed to start planning his coronation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rustybear posted:

i think it might be everything cancelled, there's gonna be riots

seven days AFTER her funeral come on

Celebrate by watching pro wrestling. Coz there's gently caress all else to watch.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

For whatever weird reason there are quite a few very very pro Queenie people amongst the UK Asian community.

Makes me think of the characters from Goodness Gracious Me whose whole thing is insisting on their Britishness despite being middle class Indian couples. Didn’t fully get it myself until I met my wife’s dad who despite being a proud Trinidadian has also absorbed all the British traditions around loving the monarchy, insisting on table manners, complaining about there being too many immigrants, etc.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
The RMT calling off strikes with a fawning statement is also just ridiculously undemocratic on the part of the bureaucratic morons who run it. RMT has policy passed at AGM in favour of republicanism, which democratically supersedes any tactical "boxing clever" considerations Lynch and Dempsey have dreamed up.

Also, are the bosses stopping their pay freeze "out of respect"? Are they stopping their job cuts "out of respect"?

No? Funny that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aphex- posted:

And be abolished two minutes later. That just isn't how our monarchy works.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mega Comrade posted:

According to this it's mostly flags at half mast and books of condolences.

Also TV will be notably worse.

quote:

Media coverage will also reflect the mourning period – with TV and radio stations expected to follow a code of conduct.

The temporary measures will reportedly include the suspension of comedy programming on BBC and the recommendation that DJs play inoffensive music.

See
https://www.thesun.ie/news/9379167/queen-national-mourning-days/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
yeah nad if a prison guard at dachau had spoken out about it they would have been arrested or killed, doesn't mean its ok that they kept the camp running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OrthoTrot posted:

The RMT calling off strikes with a fawning statement is also just ridiculously undemocratic on the part of the bureaucratic morons who run it. RMT has policy passed at AGM in favour of republicanism, which democratically supersedes any tactical "boxing clever" considerations Lynch and Dempsey have dreamed up.

Also, are the bosses stopping their pay freeze "out of respect"? Are they stopping their job cuts "out of respect"?

No? Funny that.

do you want to be correct or do you want these strikes to have a positive outcome?