Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Deketh posted:

There is definitely a performative element to both sides. Since we're governed and informed by the royalists though, they get to set the tempo of the compulsory grief explosion so I assume alot of the loud celebration is a way of compensating and letting the world know that they don't speak for everyone and we aren't all crying into our gruel at the loss of our beloved nonce defending monarch

Yeah pretty much. Also if you think the monarchy is bad then the replacement of the widely beloved queen with her son whom the public are currently at best ambivalent about is a great time to make noise about that. Their goal is obviously to use the mourning period to get him firmly in place with minimal fuss, so that by the time the country is allowed to be "normal" again King Charles is as well established and part of the furniture as his mother was. If you want to have people think at all about why we have a monarchy and what it means now is when you have to say they're poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

feedmegin posted:

And be abolished two minutes later. That just isn't how our monarchy works.

This is one of those things that's drummed into you as absolutely fundamental to the British state but it's just not true. Can you actually imagine, for instance, Boris Johnson tearfully informing the country that he was severing all ties to the Royals?

quote:

First the newspaper reported that her private lawyer pushed the British government into an amendment that helped hide her wealth in 1973, on a law relating to transparency in companies.

A second set of revelations on Monday alleged that queen's consent had been required on at least 1,062 laws—with Elizabeth's staff pressuring the government for changes to a total of four.

https://www.newsweek.com/queen-elizabeth-accused-lobbying-uk-government-royal-consent-1567864

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, she was a very old woman who died, as very old people tend to. Now her son gets to be king.

I find the performative grief weird and the performative happiness a bit, idk, attention seeking? Like, adolescent edginess, dead baby joke kind of things. It feels like the culture wars have colonised every bit of public discourse, and what people say about this, on social media at least, is just another affirmation of what side they’re on.

I think a lot of people just like having fun on social media, & the fact that we're living in pretty dark times means people's sense of humour can get quite dark. Some of it is inevitably a reaction to the reaction from public spheres which doesn't really jive with their personal feelings & the feelings of the majority of normal people (there were no ads on ITV apparently, when it went to commercial it was just a black screen. This is loving demented. The football is cancelled tomorrow. There will be no comedy on the BBC which means I don't get to watch the Stewart Lee show I was looking forward to, the whole thing is grotesquely out of proportion) but I don't think it's really part of the culture wars, it's just the establishment trying to insist we are all deeply impacted by this & we're not except in ways they have decided to make it impact us. It's shite & making edgy jokes about it might not be all that pleasant but it feels nice when I'm hearing some oval office on the BBC tell me that the looming energy crisis pales in significance to the death of someone I don't know. It's not. She had a good long life, was pretty healthy well into her 90s, good for her but gently caress me sideways, thousands may die this winter.

Anyway, attention seeking? On social media? Well I never. Isn't that the entire loving point of social media?

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 9, 2022

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DarkCrawler posted:

Wasn't the only William pretty successful?

We've had 4 of them already. Current william will probably become William V when his dad dies, if we haven't rid ourselves of this millstone yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, she was a very old woman who died, as very old people tend to. Now her son gets to be king.

I find the performative grief weird and the performative happiness a bit, idk, attention seeking? Like, adolescent edginess, dead baby joke kind of things. It feels like the culture wars have colonised every bit of public discourse, and what people say about this, on social media at least, is just another affirmation of what side they’re on.

Yeah, like - I feel a vague sense of melancholy while at the same time being completely in favour of the dissolution of the monarchy and I think it's okay to feel things, so long as you don't get caught up in the griefwank that's starting now. My dad died a couple of years ago and events like this bring it back to me, and it's weird to see people actively cackling. It's not as if her dying will have any *good* effect. It doesn't help anyone. And she didn't die in a hilarious way, like she tried to slap a servant and fell over or something, you know? She just died peacefully at home at a great age and some people are celebrating like we won something.

Also apparently we're not even getting any loving time off, or at least not much. I always assumed things would close down for a bit. gently caress sake.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The longer this mourning goes on the less time the government have to pass poo poo laws before the election has to happen. A parting gift from her maj.

minema
May 31, 2011
If the reaction was more on the level of a minute's silence and black armbands at sporting events, some special programming about her life and just generally a respectful tone to public events personally I think that'd be fine and I'd probably actually feel a bit sad about it all! But the massive overreaction has pissed me off and made me more annoyed than I would have been otherwise.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

Wasn't the only William pretty successful?

Wait I mixed the names, there were a bunch of Williams...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reveilled posted:

We've had 4 of them already. Current william will probably become William V when his dad dies, if we haven't rid ourselves of this millstone yet.

Or is that...... Wilhelm Einz *puts on pickelhaub*

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Saying that the Queen was not responsible for the atrocities committed in her name is ridiculous. She was the head of state, her Royal Assent passed every lovely act. Even if her role were fully as symbolic as claimed and she was entirely without power, influence, or the ability to speak out, she could have quit at any time and taken her vast personal fortune to go raise corgis on one of her many farms. The monarch doesn't get to avoid responsibility for their nation's actions, by long tradition they are the nation.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

HopperUK posted:

Also apparently we're not even getting any loving time off, or at least not much. I always assumed things would close down for a bit. gently caress sake.

We've been hearing that there's a chance my kid's school will close if the funeral is held on the Monday, however both my wife and I are still expected to be at work. Not only do we not get a day off, one of us will probably need to lose a holiday to cover childcare.

It's another one of those magical events that's simultaneously serious enough to only negatively affect workers but not capital.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

Saying that the Queen was not responsible for the atrocities committed in her name is ridiculous. She was the head of state, her Royal Assent passed every lovely act. Even if her role were fully as symbolic as claimed and she was entirely without power, influence, or the ability to speak out, she could have quit at any time and taken her vast personal fortune to go raise corgis on one of her many farms. The monarch doesn't get to avoid responsibility for their nation's actions, by long tradition they are the nation.

Sure but I worry, as I've seen some other posters do, that laying it on her will have the effect of absolving the people who actually took the decisions that she rubberstamped, and performed the atrocities. You know?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

feedmegin posted:

Especially as William Rufus was already a thing, yes. :shobon:

Too many people clearly haven't learned their kings and queens from Horrible Histories.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Reveilled posted:

All the Williams seemed pretty successful though, the last one seemed like a fun guy as well. Bad precedent with a younger brother Henry though for one of them if I remember my Rex Factor.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Too many people clearly haven't learned their kings and queens from Horrible Histories.

I watched some of that recently and it's really good, and I'm glad that I'm over the phase of life that gets embarrassed to watch kids' TV.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

josh04 posted:

This is one of those things that's drummed into you as absolutely fundamental to the British state but it's just not true. Can you actually imagine, for instance, Boris Johnson tearfully informing the country that he was severing all ties to the Royals?

But, well, it is true, which is why they don't do it. If Her Maj stood up on her throne in 1960 and was all like 'colonialism is bad and we should immediately retreat from all our colonies' the reaction would have been to replace her sharpish with someone more pliable and probably check her into the funny farm. Not like we haven't chucked out monarchs before for doing something embarrassing, even in the 20th century, yeah?

Edit:

quote:

All the Williams seemed pretty successful though,
Remember I mentioned Rufus? He's mostly best known for eating an arrow to the face, to be fair.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it pretty hard to see why the queen not saying a word against the wrongs done in her name is excusable because she wouldn't have been the queen any more if she did. That seems rather more like naked self interest than public service.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I find it pretty hard to see why the queen not saying a word against the wrongs done in her name is excusable because she wouldn't have been the queen any more if she did. That seems rather more like naked self interest than public service.

I'm not praising her for it. I'm just saying I can see why she didn't do it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OwlFancier posted:

Plus she would have still been the Queen anyway.

I mean the past kings and queens said bunch of stuff, I think the quiet ones are the exception.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

RIP to the queen, wealthiest coward in the country, doesn't have the same ring to it I suppose.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HopperUK posted:

Sure but I worry, as I've seen some other posters do, that laying it on her will have the effect of absolving the people who actually took the decisions that she rubberstamped, and performed the atrocities. You know?

I don't think there's any danger of that, have you ever seen the Queen blamed at all for the actions of her governments? I'm not even saying that she is primarily responsible, just that the monarch can't both be in charge, however nominally, and completely absolved of guilt for what they're in charge of.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Queen, now Chuck, is head of the CoE.
The CoE opposes abortion in 98% of cases.
Is Liz/Chuck to blame for this?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

https://twitter.com/StefGotBooted/status/1568161693494042625#m

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

HopperUK posted:

Do you have any actual basis for that worry? Who is going to listen to an argument from someone here about the monarchy's culpability in imperialism and from that take that Queen Elizabeth is solely to blame? There's nobody on this earth who is going to be open to an argument that Elizabeth bears some moral culpability for those decisions who doesn't already lay blame for imperialism at the feet of british politicians.

I dunno, maybe if someone's an actual lizardfolk conspiracy theorist who things Elizabeth was secretly an absolute dictator ruling over her mind-controlled political thralls I could see that, but I don't see how any rational individual gets to the conclusion "Elizabeth bears some responsibility for this" without first accepting the conclusion "Britain's elected officials carried out horrendous atrocities throughout the colonial era and beyond", and it's not like this additional inclusion of the monarch in the "people who are to blame" list is going to suddenly occlude all the others you've added previously. The default position on this among the british public, remember, is "The British Empire was cool actually"; there's no way to get from there to here without a whole bunch of intermediate steps that necessarily involve talking about the people who performed the atrocities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did actually have the thought "what are the people who think the queen is secretly behind the illuminati going to say about her dying" and I hope I get an answer soon and I hope it's real weird.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

I did actually have the thought "what are the people who think the queen is secretly behind the illuminati going to say about her dying" and I hope I get an answer soon and I hope it's real weird.

You saw that lady with the chip shop right?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Queen the

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

She's simply transported her spiritual essence to a new host in kate Middleton. Diana found out the truth, that's why they killed her.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

You saw that lady with the chip shop right?

Lady with the chip shop?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lady with the chip shop!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The queen was a bad person for many many reasons and while I'm sure this is a very sad time for her family, some of the jokes (especially the unintentional ones like Funko and Playmobil being performatively sad) have been quite funny so overall her death has probably brought more joy to people than her life ever has on average.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I can see why Tony Blair didn't contradict Bush's justification for invading Iraq, I can see why Rees-Mogg doesn't divest from Somerset Capital, I can see why the Grenfell building management didn't address the cladding concerns. In all cases it's naked self-interest and profit motive, and it leads inevitably to the immiseration and death of the proles, those worthless two-bits whose lives don't even factor into the equation.

I'm just not sure why that's suddenly worth posting about when it's the literal ruler of the British Empire

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
If all the royals popped off in succession, how many mourning days could the UK have in a row?

Correct answers get as many swans and corgis as they want.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I got an email from a KC this morning and it was a bit odd.

did they want to you do a little dance?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I apparently missed a page and have now seen the lady with the chip shop.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Twitter has been on top form for Queen related comedy but I don’t know if there’s seventeen days of material there

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
https://twitter.com/mollyesbian/status/1567982887882063873

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay let's put aside the motion that Queen Elizabeth had any responsibility for the real big wrongs of the British Empire.

Let's accept that she was just one small Queen and couldn't fight the system. Fine.

What about the smaller scale wrongs that she could have done something about.

Like say, the media's harassment of Diana or Meghan. Surely she could have pushed back at what was happening to those two women?

Or would that have resulted in the Tabloids having to go to the Palace and imprison the Royales?
But hey, maybe she just adopted some Watcher like strict neutrality policy. So she was just keeping to that policy by letting the press go after Diana and Meghan.
And it's not like she personally provided resources and legal assistance to normal bloke Andy Windsor when he had legal troubles. Or had to sell off one of her many properties to finance a legal settlement for a woman that Andy Windsor did nothing to.

Nope, Queen Lizzie. Powerless to effect big changes. Had to maintain decorum and not go after any of the smaller wrongs.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sometimes it's easy to forget this thread is in D&D but not today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always