Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The CG videos and some of the early pre-war false flag videos really show the value of background actors and 5 lines or less actors who are competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Oh Jesus, they're putting the squeeze on with one flank protected by the river... can i say Pocket? :derp:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Russians at the beginning had 190,000 in Ukraine at most and it's been downhill since then.

Russians too have sent more forces to the theater after the war began and haven't stopped recruiting despite not mobilising. What is the total number now is anyone's guess but it's more than just [initial headcount-casualties].

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Oh Jesus, they're putting the squeeze on with one flank protected by the river... can i say Pocket? :derp:

Yuuuup that's a problematic pocket for Russia. At this speed they pretty much have to decide right now to pull back all troops at Izyum or risk being bagged.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Uh, “the situation in region is difficult, non-trivial… the city is sufficiently safe” is not the strongest statement in Russian PR speak.

Listen, Im cautious too because I remember how the Ukrainian offensive in 2014 ended, but this is a shift from "operation is going as planned, destroyed 1500 nationalists" or "shelling of donetsk schools intensifies" which was the official line from the press until recently.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

It is done. This is the beginning of the end of this imperial misadventure.

:toxx:

Ukrainian flag will fly in Melitopol by September 9th 2023, or I will donate 50 euros to a charity or the Ukrainian state.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You're being way too optimistic. I'd guesstimate Oct 1. Regardless, I can't see how Russia can keep this up for much longer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

Listen, Im cautious too because I remember how the Ukrainian offensive in 2014 ended, but this is a shift from "operation is going as planned, destroyed 1500 nationalists" or "shelling of donetsk schools intensifies" which was the official line from the press until recently.

I’m just providing a bit more translation context for everyone else, didn’t mean that as a commentary on your post or anything. My current perspective on situation there is that Russians have been caught pulling their pants up, but that’s about it - I doubt they’ll leave this without a response in force, but I likewise know neither of their disposition in the region, nor the plans or toll taken of Ukrainian battle group.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Keisari posted:

Ukrainian flag will fly in Melitopol by September 9th 2023, or I will donate 50 euros to a charity or the Ukrainian state.

Toxx registered, charity will be of admins’ choosing, if it comes to it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Keisari posted:

I see this as analogous to D-Day. We now know how this war is going to end, and it will be sooner than we used to think.

Russia probably still has a Battle of the Bulge or two left in them, but the trend is clear.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Brave New World posted:

You're being way too optimistic. I'd guesstimate Oct 1. Regardless, I can't see how Russia can keep this up for much longer.

He said 2023, this will either end this winter or enter a frozen stationary period

the next 3 months will be decisive.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/davekeating/status/1568226599438356481

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Here's a fun animated map

https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1568239880487960576

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dreissi posted:

No vehicles only stairs.

Ukraine is protected.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Kavros posted:

Ukraine is protected.

An ancient callback, to a gentler time.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Brave New World posted:

To me it seems that the milita/conscripts from the so-called republics are the ones taking the most losses on the Russian side so far in the offensive. At least this is the impression i get from the POW videos and pictures of destroyed equipment i've seen so far. Part of me fears that this latest offensive by the Ukranians is not hitting the russians as hard as it might look.

Ugh, I dont know what to believe anymore. I keep getting too emotionally invested in this conflict, and the last week have been a wild ride. I hope the Ukranians can keep up the momentum, and that this might be the early signs of some real change in the war. But again I fear it might be too little, and that it will return to a grindfest as soon as the offensive meets regular russian forces.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

lilljonas posted:

Yuuuup that's a problematic pocket for Russia. At this speed they pretty much have to decide right now to pull back all troops at Izyum or risk being bagged.

Might already be bagged. There are now reports from Russian telegram that there are Ukrainians in Oskil city, at the south end of the reservoir. If true, the Ukrainians hold every road out of Izium. Now the question is, if Russia counterattacks south from Kupyansk, will UA hold?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If this gets real bad, does Putin have the political strength to declare general mobilization, and if he does how do we think this will effect the course of the war?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

GyverMac posted:

To me it seems that the milita/conscripts from the so-called republics are the ones taking the most losses on the Russian side so far in the offensive. At least this is the impression i get from the POW videos and pictures of destroyed equipment i've seen so far. Part of me fears that this latest offensive by the Ukranians is not hitting the russians as hard as it might look.

Ugh, I dont know what to believe anymore. I keep getting too emotionally invested in this conflict, and the last week have been a wild ride. I hope the Ukranians can keep up the momentum, and that this might be the early signs of some real change in the war. But again I fear it might be too little, and that it will return to a grindfest as soon as the offensive meets regular russian forces.

This isn't an indication that Russia have cleverly hidden all their real forces somewhere away from the front and are biding their time waiting to strike. What you're seeing are the real forces. The bulk of the Russian forces in Ukraine that weren't used to re-enforce Kherson are conscripted L/DNR militias with minimal training or support.

The Kherson trap worked perfectly to drain all the elite forces away from the east. This is what the bulk of the Russian army looks like after 6 months of smashing itself against Ukraine.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 9, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
From Moscow Times:

Russia's FSB security service said Friday it had arrested three suspects after foiling an attempt to set fire to a military building near St. Petersburg.

Attacks on military buildings have multiplied since the Kremlin launched a military campaign in Ukraine in February.

The FSB said three residents of the city of Vyborg, about 140 kilometers (85 miles) north of St. Petersburg, had "tried to set an administrative building belonging to the Defense Ministry on fire."

An investigation was launched over an "attempted terrorist attack" — a crime carrying heavy prison sentences.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The Russians in Izyum seem to be hardened veterans, not green conscripts.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

khwarezm posted:

If this gets real bad, does Putin have the political strength to declare general mobilization, and if he does how do we think this will effect the course of the war?

I don't know how well they could equip a general mobilization. They're heavily sanctioned without the means to build new armored vehicles, unlike Ukraine which has effectively unlimited industrial capacity thanks to foreign aid.

They're already unmothballing ancient tanks and fighting vehicles to bring to the combat zone, and that's without a general mob.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tuna-Fish posted:

Might already be bagged. There are now reports from Russian telegram that there are Ukrainians in Oskil city, at the south end of the reservoir. If true, the Ukrainians hold every road out of Izium. Now the question is, if Russia counterattacks south from Kupyansk, will UA hold?

The forces in Kupyansk probably more concerned with not being driven back themselves than counter attacking right now, from what it sounds like.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Toxx registered, charity will be of admins’ choosing, if it comes to it.

Thanks! Right, of course. My first toxx.

I posted x days/weeks ago that Russian army is at some point going to just collapse. I am convinced with all I've heard about the Russian army up to this point that they really are a looks-focused army, as in being genuinely effective is not important, but looking good to superiors and obeying orders. But this is of course something probably all of us here know and has been posted about before. So, Russians keep doing stupid and/or insane poo poo because their incompetent and/or drunk generals told them so, as they were selected for loyalty and not merits. So, as we've seen they end up attacking and conquering land at any cost, taking horrible losses as this goes on. Ukraine's logical counterplay is of course to not try to hold every inch of land, but to bleed the enemy as much as possible while giving a bit of ground. To bend, but not break, and hulk the gently caress up and prepare and wait until the enemy is starting to weaken. And they've done this.

So what it has looked to us is Russia gaining ground and seeming to be doing much better than they really are. But, at some point it reaches a critical point where it just collapses spectacularly as they wear their army out.

And, once the Russian front takes even one catastrophe, the morale is gone for good. Plus, they've spent all their men and machines taking ground instead of grinding enemy resources, you don't have them either. And so it collapses like a hollowed out pile of poo poo.

This could be the first sign of that collapse, or it could just be a tantalizing taste of things to come.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Chalks posted:

This isn't an indication that Russia have cleverly hidden all their real forces somewhere away from the front and are biding their time waiting to strike. What you're seeing are the real forces. The bulk of the Russian forces in Ukraine that weren't used to re-enforce Kherson are conscripted L/DNR militias with minimal training or support.

They look like trash because they are. This is what the Russian army looks like after 6 months of smashing itself against Ukraine.

It is possible they have better trained troops, but they are on the southern front. It is likely these troops are engaged, or unable to redeploy without losing Kherson.

The lack of any sizeable reserve is going to make this incredibly difficult for Russia to stop this offensive now that it is well behind the front. Everything they do will be too little and too late, and also weakens the southern front.

Crow Buddy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GyverMac posted:

Destroyed equipment would be predominantly for Russian regulars, rather than proxy forces or people press-ganged into “conscription. The most popular POW video from the Kharkiv offensive are has a few people from a literal police SWAT unit from Russia. If I had to guess, the rest is also primarily Russian regulars, as far as firepower exceeding a rifle is concerned, since they were very keen on sending people from “LDNR” into every meat grinder they could find, in the earlier months.

khwarezm posted:

He definitely has the strength to declare a general mobilisation, but the political price he ends up paying for it and the effect it will bear on the situation on the ground are open questions.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I’m curious what the internal calculus for and against surrender must look like for Russian soldiers in the affected areas at this point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

The Russians in Izyum seem to be hardened veterans, not green conscripts.

You’re correct. What you speak in reference to seem to have been primarily addressed at the forces standing the way throughout the current advance on Kupyansk, rather than those stationed further south at the main Dobas frontline.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If Russia went to general mobilization they could probably equip such an army, but I'm not convinced they could reliably supply it in the field.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Discendo Vox posted:

I’m curious what the internal calculus for and against surrender must look like for Russian soldiers in the affected areas at this point.

The ones from the poorer eastern regions probably have 0 information about what's going on, where they are, or who they are fighting. If they believe that they're fighting nazis they're probably hesitant to surrender thinking they'll be executed and might be the ones that would rather risk walking back across the Russian border as civilians. The ones with more info, who knows what they're thinking. Doesn't seem like there are mass surrenders yet besides the PoW videos we see which are usually 2-3 people.

Unfortunately, most of the social media reports I've seen around this topic are Russian soldiers complaining to their command about wanting to leave or cancel their contracts, getting told "no", and then going "welp guess I'll just die here then".

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

Does Ukraine have the forces in that area to backfill the territory they've just taken? Hoping they don't push too far and get enveloped themselves

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Ynglaur posted:

If Russia went to general mobilization they could probably equip such an army, but I'm not convinced they could reliably supply it in the field.

I am curious if part of the reluctance to general mobilization for them is knowing what they would be equipping with. I know I would be pretty upset if my country drafted me and equipped me with one boot, a jammed Mosin and a helmet that dents when I knock it off a bench.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rockker posted:

Does Ukraine have the forces in that area to backfill the territory they've just taken? Hoping they don't push too far and get enveloped themselves

We don’t know, but it would suck rear end to hold from the perspective of being shot by artillery from 85 directions. If they can destroy or evict the Russian battle group of Izyum, that becomes much more simpler.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Crow Buddy posted:

I am curious if part of the reluctance to general mobilization for them is knowing what they would be equipping with. I know I would be pretty upset if my country drafted me and equipped me with one boot, a jammed Mosin and a helmet that dents when I knock it off a bench.

I think the reluctance comes from that fact that a general mobilization would be telling the Russia public that everything is going to poo poo in Ukraine, which could really hurt Putin.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Russia spent its best hardware and soldiers during the first months of the war. There's very little to mobilize with.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Does Russia even have the training capacity to handle a general mobilisation? A lot of their elite troops and officers in general have been getting picked off. What are they going to send, a wave of recruits they trained wrong, as a joke?

Ukraine has a 6-month headstart on mobilisation, plus those recruits can get trained in NATO countries. Russia would have to deploy and supply a lot of troops incredibly fast to make a decisive difference at this point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

With hindsight, it was probably a suboptimal idea to send all the security forces paramilitaries to die in literally the first wave into Kyiv before having to make the decision on whether to put guns in the hands of a few hundred thousand people who really don't want to die for your dumb war of choice.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nimby posted:

Does Russia even have the training capacity to handle a general mobilisation? A lot of their elite troops and officers in general have been getting picked off. What are they going to send, a wave of recruits they trained wrong, as a joke?

I remember some negatively trending analysis that went into particulars of instructor availability for RuAF a couple of months ago, but I doubt I’ll be able to find it. If I had to guess, they unlikely have major problems to prepare junior officers, as that’s standard academy fare, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone told me that they’re experiencing an acute shortage of instructors, practice partners, and other staff positions relevant to imposing the skills necessary for the parts where they shoot people or get shot.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Crow Buddy posted:

YOU GET RADIO NOW, COMRADE!

https://twitter.com/CaptainBlackSe1/status/1567856756373454851

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think it was back in May or June but weren't the Russians so desperate for skilled and trained personnel that they were sending at least some instructors to the front to fight?

Word of that kind've died out but if true that short term focused move could turn out to be a long term nasty error.