Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hammerstein posted:

(I'm not gonna source every quote, but being this thread's turbo-nerd when it comes to Tolkien most stuff should be correct)

Originally the Valar created 2 enormous lamps on each side of the world, as a substitute to sun and moon. Then Melkor (the big bad) kicked those over and everything was in darkness, except for starlight. However, soon after that the Valar created the trees, each of which shining for 7 hours a day. Their size is never really determined, I would guess very tall, but not as tall as the mountains surrounding Valinor.

--Wouldn't Morgoth pissing on the trees to put them out cause global extinction events? How much time had passed between that and Eru getting the pilot light lit on the sun?

Global extinction? Probably, but Tolkien gave nature plot armor. There are 5 years between the destruction of the trees and the creation of the sun and moon, also it was not completely dark because in addition to the normal stars the greater stars had already been created and in these stars was the light of the silver tree Telperion.

Also, how could Adam and Eve breed the full race of humanity? I mean, like the Silmarillion, the Christian Bible is historical factual and scientifically true instead of being mythology, right? So how could two people breed all of humanity without the human race succumbing to inbreeding? Unless the Creation Myth in the Silmarillion is also something of a myth like the one in the Bible.

Hammerstein posted:

--If elves are so long lived how is it middle earth isn't just swarming with them? Even if we factor all the massive God wars and stuff that went down they're still going to be better off than other races certainly.

They multiply slowly and have few children. And a LOT of them died in the wars that followed. Also elves usually only have children in their youth or in the early phase of their marriage ("early" as in "a few hundred years"). Casual sex and accidental children also is not a thing in elven society and not all elves desire marriage and having kids.

One of the earliest fruits of the alliance between elves and dwarves was the Mithral condom.

Hammerstein posted:

--Why did most of the elves stick around on middle earth after the big bad was defeated? Isn't the island with the glowing tree their homeland?

The Elves are a part of Arda (the World) as much as the mountains, rivers, woods and every living being. They are deeply rooted in their lands and love them dearly. Also after they originally awakened in Middle Earth not all tribes went to Valinor during the first migration. Some stayed behind and formed their own realms and kingdoms.

I mean is it really a complete impossibility for someone to be born somewhere, move someplace else and then move back to where they were born?

Hammerstein posted:

--How did Sauron convince the dwarves to take the rings? They seem really skeptical in general, like the discussion between Durin and his dad the king make me think they've dealt with scammers and moochers their whole existence, you mean to tell me Sauron is just going to barge in there like some Kirby vacuum cleaner salesman and convince them to take them?

There is no clear word on that in the source material. The thing we know is that he was still in the guise of Annatar at that time. My guess would be that he presented himself as a servant of Aulė (the creator of the dwarves). Also dwarves, while certainly skeptical, might not look a gift horse in the mouth too closely, if it promises them great wealth.

"Here, try this ring on. It'll give you a long life and show you the way to great treasure of gold under the earth."

Much later.

"Oh yeah, should have mentioned that all that great wealth of gold the rings helped you find will tend to draw dragons to come eat your bearded asses. Oops my bad."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

Hexel posted:

Is it safe to assume the orcs are searching for the sword hilt the kid has?
Yeah, I think that's a pretty safe bet.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Man, Galadriel gets to relax a bit for the first time in centuries, ride a horse in the sunlight, and enjoy herself and people just wanna be mean.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Also, the final blurry shot is our fan favourite benjin stark

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn, so loving awesome. :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aB6CPyO0Ww

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
My guess is that "Adar" will turn out to be the Witch King / Future Lord of the Nazgul. Also, there's a possibility that Sauron was the giant wolf Nori and her friends encountered in episode 1. I think Tolkien had written that Sauron had the ability to take the form of a wolf, but he also had werewolves as servants. Anyway, I very much expect the harfoot caravan to get ambushed in the next episode.

Edit: I guess it's also possible that Halbrand ends up switching sides and becomes the Witch King. Anyway, Galadriel trusts him way too much which sets up the stage for betrayal.

BoldFace fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 9, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Hexel posted:

Is it safe to assume the orcs are searching for the sword hilt the kid has?

It seems to belong to Sauron and if so, how was it shattered? All this time compression and valar, eldar and noldor poo poo is getting difficult for a casual viewer that doesn't know the lore.

Seems to be the case that the sword is what they are after. What is confusing you about all this and I'll answer without a book of new names and book stuff if possible.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

BoldFace posted:

My guess is that "Adar" will turn out to be the Witch King / Future Lord of the Nazgul. Also, there's a possibility that Sauron was the giant wolf Nori and her friends encountered in episode 1. I think Tolkien had written that Sauron had the ability to take the form of a wolf, but he also had werewolves as servants. Anyway, I very much expect the harfoot caravan to get ambushed in the next episode.

Edit: I guess it's also possible that Halbrand ends up switching sides and becomes the Witch King. Anyway, Galadriel trusts him way too much which sets up the stage for betrayal.

Isn't the Witch King just one of the kings of men the Rings of Power corrupted?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR5M6VV7/

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

drat you. Now I want to see Korean Vikings fighting dragons in Redneck of the Rings.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

Tolkien never really clarified his real identity. Episode 3 established Halbrand as a king in exile so Sauron can just give him a ring at some point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For everyone asking where the Asians were we can now confirm that they were in Mordor digging a hole to China Gondor.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Arc Hammer posted:

For everyone asking where the Asians were we can now confirm that they were in Mordor digging a hole to China Gondor.
Hey now, there was an Asian Numenorean on Erendil's ship, for a moment, in the back.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yes, Adar is listed as an elf in pre-release stuff. Technically that would be a change since the whole point of the 9 is they have the "Nine rings, for mortal men doomed to die" I'd be ok with it if its done well but ehhhhhh

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BoldFace posted:

Tolkien never really clarified his real identity. Episode 3 established Halbrand as a king in exile so Sauron can just give him a ring at some point.

I think Noam was saying that Adar being the Witch King wouldn't really make any sense, since there are no rings yet, so he wouldn't have been corrupted by said ring yet. Halbrand is a possibility, I guess.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

rkd_ posted:

That's fair, although I don't think Tolkien would misuse words like 'fissure'.

I agree (He does not use the word fissure at all)

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Episode 3 seems solid enough. A lot of the elfs-and-orcs stuff (I keep forgetting the characters' names) that ended with the chain stuff was kinda "meh", but I can live with it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Man thinking about it some more and Harfoot society is metal as gently caress. Break your leg? Get loving left for dead.

I love how they refer to it as "he fell behind" like rear end in a top hat no he got left behind.

Imagine you break your leg and all your friends and family just leave you on the side of the road saying "you've fallen behind" and you die and then a year later some rear end in a top hat with a book reads your name like "Handy Knobbletree, broken leg" and then everyone gets teary eyes and says "we wait for you". Like bitch you COULD have waited for me!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't like the notion of the Harfoots abandoning their injured like that. A big reason we're so successful as a species is because we didn't abandon our sick or elderly when we still migrated. Darwin can suck it, we can and do look out for our own, especially in small prehistoric communities.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tom Tucker posted:

Man thinking about it some more and Harfoot society is metal as gently caress. Break your leg? Get loving left for dead.

I love how they refer to it as "he fell behind" like rear end in a top hat no he got left behind.

Imagine you break your leg and all your friends and family just leave you on the side of the road saying "you've fallen behind" and you die and then a year later some rear end in a top hat with a book reads your name like "Handy Knobbletree, broken leg" and then everyone gets teary eyes and says "we wait for you". Like bitch you COULD have waited for me!
I think there's a bit of disconnect between the Hobbits we see in the Harfoots and the nomadic, primitive nature of their society. Mostly cause the rest of their dialogue tone normally veers really close to classic Hobbits. I have to say, I liked the way this is presented in the show, especially after seeing the Midsommar-style costumes.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
But hobbits are a different species and if you'll notice ain't around anymore.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Tom Tucker posted:

It really sucks for him too because Melva the lazy bitch was the one who was supposed to be helping put that tent up

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

For a moment I thought all the Harfoot women had nature themed names, but it appears Nori is short for Elanor?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2nd level spells posted:

But hobbits are a different species and if you'll notice ain't around anymore.

This is why I'm not big on the show using the term human. Hobbits are humans, and to some extent Elves have to be as well given their capacity for kinship with men. Which is why a term like human doesn't have much bearing in Tolkien's world, whereas you can make a distinction between Man, Elf and Hobbit. Dwarves are their own separate race but that's a whole other discussion about artificially created beings.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

That Italian Guy posted:

For a moment I thought all the Harfoot women had nature themed names, but it appears Nori is short for Elanor?

Elanor is a flower in middle-earth

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That Italian Guy posted:

Still a nature themed name, elanor are flowers in Middle-earth

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I guess all the "lesser" beings of Middle-earth are able to crossbreed. Unsure about Maiar and I'd rather not have the picture of Gandalf having sex in my head.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yep!

This page gives a big rundown of what the rings did.

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Rings_of_Power#The_Seven

The rings for the Dwarves basically let them find and amass more wealth.

I've always looked at them as giving the wearer a measure of ambient control over the forces of the universe, over destiny - so a Dwarf ring would make you luckier (your item find rating go up in video game terms.)

Hobbits don't really care about power so the ring just makes them invisible which is just one of the base function of it since it shifts you into some shadow world. It's main function is to dominate the other rings and beings but in order to do that you have to have a will greater than the ring itself and know what it can do.

What the rings do was left deliberately vague by Tolkien but I always envisioned them amplifying the natural abilities of the user. A warrior like Boromir would became even more fearsome and commanding. A sneak like Gollum would become sharp eyed and quick eared and better able to find secrets/stalk people. Someone like Gandalf would become even greater still than they already are. For the Dwarves, their rings inflamed their hearts and made them even greedier and more focused/capable of acquiring great wealth. The one ring did all of these things but just on a greater scale since it's the strongest ring and was made by Sauron himself.

Elven Rings worked a little differently since they were all about preserving what the Elves loved. Galadriel's ring helps her maintain Lothlorien as a stainless, perfect, land, where no blight or sickness lives and time seems almost in a standstill.

Mastering the rings (especially the one) was not something that was easily done either. Someone like Frodo couldn't just put on the one ring and immediately be able to command armies and dominate minds. They'd have to train their will and their mind to do those things before they could master the one and use it in that way. And probably nobody could master it fully to the extent that Sauron did.

Ohhh i'm a nerd

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

What the rings do was left deliberately vague by Tolkien but I always envisioned them amplifying the natural abilities of the user. A warrior like Boromir would became even more fearsome and commanding. A sneak like Gollum would become sharp eyed and quick eared and better able to find secrets/stalk people. Someone like Gandalf would become even greater still than they already are. For the Dwarves, their rings inflamed their hearts and made them even greedier and more focused/capable of acquiring great wealth. The one ring did all of these things but just on a greater scale since it's the strongest ring and was made by Sauron himself.

Elven Rings worked a little differently since they were all about preserving what the Elves loved. Galadriel's ring helps her maintain Lothlorien as a stainless, perfect, land, where no blight or sickness lives and time seems almost in a standstill.

Mastering the rings (especially the one) was not something that was easily done either. Someone like Frodo couldn't just put on the one ring and immediately be able to command armies and dominate minds. They'd have to train their will and their mind to do those things before they could master the one and use it in that way. And probably nobody could master it fully to the extent that Sauron did.

Ohhh i'm a nerd

Gandalf, Galadriel, and a few others might rival Sauron if they actually mastered the ring, but as Galadriel says, they would still be corrupted into evil by its very nature. They would be merging themselves with Sauron's will. They could dominate that will and be the master, but it would still be a part of them.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

Ginette Reno posted:

Ohhh i'm a nerd

Agree with all that.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

BoldFace posted:

I guess all the "lesser" beings of Middle-earth are able to crossbreed. Unsure about Maiar and I'd rather not have the picture of Gandalf having sex in my head.

There's at least one Maia who shacked up with an elf and had a daughter. In older versions the Maiar and Valar were much more like Roman and Norse gods in that they formed families and had kids. But Tolkien removed all of the procreation when he turned them into angelic demiurges and the aforementioned Maia/elf couple and their very important child is all that survived of that epoch.

Gandalf could gently caress but he's too Catholic to do so.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

guys, i do not think tolkien was a very good biologist. however IRL "species" can interbreed a lot of the time and are separated more by behavior or environment that genetic incompatibility.

so lets just say they are different races but as children of illuvatar they can all do the nasty

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes, Adar is listed as an elf in pre-release stuff. Technically that would be a change since the whole point of the 9 is they have the "Nine rings, for mortal men doomed to die" I'd be ok with it if its done well but ehhhhhh
Ehh, I wouldn't. The whole "doomed to die" bit in the poem is precisely why they take the rings offered by Sauron in the first place, and elves pretty much don't "die" (or at least in that way).

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Nitpick:

Nori short for Elanor is horribly wrong from a continuity perspective -- Elanor was not a common hobbit name until Sam named his daughter Elanor, inspired by the elanor flower from Lorien. [1]

Why would Harfoots name a child after a flower from Lorien? Lorien hasn't even been founded yet. Nor would they know the Elvish name for the flower?

It's little things like this that are deeply disconcerting -- are they not paying attention to their source material and just picking names because they sound cool? Tolkien was a philologist for crying out loud -- words matter! etymology matters! You can't just make poo poo up!

</rant>

[1] https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elanor_(flower)

alcaras fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 9, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

alcaras posted:

Nitpick:

Nori short for Elanor is horribly wrong from a continuity perspective -- Elanor was not a common hobbit name until Sam named his daughter Elanor, inspired by the elanor flower from Lorien. [1]

Why would Harfoots name a child after a flower from Lorien? Lorien hasn't even been founded yet. Nor would they know the Elvish name for the flower?

It's little things like this that are deeply disconcerting -- are they not paying attention to their source material and just picking names because they sound cool? Tolkien was a philologist for crying out loud -- words matter! etymology matters! You can't just make poo poo up!

</rant>

[1] https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elanor_(flower)

my friend in 3000 years i think a name can come and go out of style and even be entirely forgotten

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

WoodrowSkillson posted:

my friend in 3000 years i think a name can come and go out of style and even be entirely forgotten

I'm half in-jest. But only half.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I'm sure the flower was around before Galadriel set up shop in Lorien.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

2nd level spells posted:

I'm sure the flower was around before Galadriel set up shop in Lorien.

UM ACTUALLY, the flower originated on the isle of Tol Eressea, and was brought by the elves to Numenor. It would not have been common in middle earth so Nori being named after it blah blah blah blah I ran out of energy here

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Kaedric posted:

UM ACTUALLY, the flower originated on the isle of Tol Eressea, and was brought by the elves to Numenor. It would not have been common in middle earth so Nori being named after it blah blah blah blah I ran out of energy here

Yup!

These are easily avoidable errors that they ... don't seem to care about? Troubling lack of attention to detail and kind of mind-boggling on a show with this budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i mean it seems like they couldnt be arsed to buy rights to all numenor's place names on The Numenor Show so