Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Good lord these pie reviews are all over the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
How about that pumpkin pie though? Nearly 4 pounds of unadulterated pumpkin bliss for $7.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Our Pumpkin Pies are absolute garbage. The recipe on the cans of Pumpkin we use is better than the poo poo we make. If you buy a Pumpkin Pie from costco you're a dumbass

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thinkin bout that hot dog rn

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Gaius Marius posted:

Our Pumpkin Pies are absolute garbage. The recipe on the cans of Pumpkin we use is better than the poo poo we make. If you buy a Pumpkin Pie from costco you're a dumbass

Thank you. I still bought one but it was for work people and now I feel bad. I also bought kimchi (Jongga, with two "g"s) for work so now I feel good.

Costco is a land of contrasts.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I want the pot pie to be good but sadly it is not

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The kimchi pies are exquisite if your CostCo carries the one with two "g"s

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Smugworth posted:

The kimchi pies are exquisite if your CostCo carries the one with two "g"s

Piggie

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

PokeJoe posted:

I want the pot pie to be good but sadly it is not

I think it depends on how you cook it, but it is pretty salty and sort of bland at the same time. I like to freeze one in individual portions (6 or so) and then cook it in the oven in foil, opening about halfway through to get the crust nice and crispy.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Putting baby carrots in a cooked dish is a minor foodcrime

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gaius Marius posted:

you're just saying this because you don't want to bake any more of them

i'm on to you

that said what did you do with the cheese buns? Did you personally remove all of them from my Costco? >:[

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Did I mention I got another $1.50 Costco hot dog and drink (plus refill) yesterday? Because I did. I had to grab another 18-pack of protein shakes and stopped by the food counter. Who knew 552 calories of hot doggin' goodness could be so delicious, and so cheap to boot? What a miracle.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

Putting baby carrots in a cooked dish is a minor foodcrime

I tried a pot pie a while back and the filling consisted of one roughly split chicken breast and maybe 2 pounds of what I imagine when I hear the term "machine separated chicken." Just a paste that used to be a bird. Like that Jamie Oliver YouTube video that fails to convince kids not to eat chicky nugs.

Add a couple pie crusts and a pint of heavy cream next time you're at the grocery store. Make your own pot pie AND your own pumpkin pie; they're really not that hard. I usually make two pumpkin pies at a time and put one in the freezer. Alternatively, grab a couple frozen mini pot pies for nostalgia if you grew up during a time those were considered a treat, like me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Did I mention I got another $1.50 Costco hot dog and drink (plus refill) yesterday? Because I did. I had to grab another 18-pack of protein shakes and stopped by the food counter. Who knew 552 calories of hot doggin' goodness could be so delicious, and so cheap to boot? What a miracle.

gently caress it, I'm gonna buy two to make up lost hot dog time RIGHT NOW

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Are they still doing the recall on the protein shakes because I may get a membership to costco to get them.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

ShowTime posted:

How about that pumpkin pie though? Nearly 4 pounds of unadulterated pumpkin bliss for $7.

Now that key lime pie...now we're talking

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I don’t care what any of you say, the (admittedly salty as gently caress) pot pie is a delight and one of my favorite things as far as Costco prepared foods go. Crack a metric ton of black pepper on top of a slice and it’s delicious.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

How does Costco get carrot cake so insanely right but gently caress up pumpkin pies

Do they just use the absolute worst quality pumpkin filling or something?

Oooh wee that cream cheese frosting tho

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

AQI just starting to get worse in the CA bay area, glad I got that discounted WINIX air purifier from Costco for when the poo poo really hits

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm going to costco to get the covid booster this afternoon and im gonna get a hot dog

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

AQI just starting to get worse in the CA bay area, glad I got that discounted WINIX air purifier from Costco for when the poo poo really hits

this is the only air purifier i need

https://www.costco.com/3m-2200-series-filtrete-1%22-filter%2c-4-pack.product.100337928.html
+
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-White-Box-Fan-with-Save-Smart-Technology-for-Energy-Efficiency-B20201/203072133

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What does Costco do if I want to complain about something going on sale right after I buy it? Can I just go to the customer service desk and complain to get the price difference or would I have to theoretically buy a new one and return it with the old receipt?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

What does Costco do if I want to complain about something going on sale right after I buy it? Can I just go to the customer service desk and complain to get the price difference or would I have to theoretically buy a new one and return it with the old receipt?

Hit up membership

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Shear Modulus posted:

Just stop by the membership desk at the store and ask them for a price adjustment. They'll take care of you. If you bring the receipt it'll make life easier but they can look it up. You don't even have to complain, just ask for the price adjustment.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm going to costco to get the covid booster this afternoon and im gonna get a hot dog

I was going to do this but they were temporarily out of hot dogs or buns or something. Had to settle for eating all the samples instead. >:(

They did completely rearrange the vax setup to stab me in my right arm, though, so that was nice. 9.5/10

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Do you need an appointment for the Costco booster or just walk right in?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

The website says they accept walk ins, but it might be easier to do the appointment so you can just fill out all your info online and not in person

Hooks
Aug 26, 2007

He'll save children, but not the British children
Fun Shoe

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I tried to walk in yesterday to get the COVID booster + flu shot, and they told me I could get the flu shot as a walk-in, but I had to make an appointment online to get the booster.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Visited Church this afternoon. Fairly successful trip without too bad of a crowd. Picked up a bottle of men's multivitamins, fish oil pills, a giant multi pack of unsalted butter for baked goods, an Oreo cookie decorating kit, and a big mixed box of chips (only $101). Then pulled around to Co Liquor and grabbed 3 bottles of Kirkland Vodka (because I have the tastes of a 21 year old frat bro).

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Are they still doing the recall on the protein shakes because I may get a membership to costco to get them.

I buy 2-3 cases a month of the chocolate Premier. None of the cases I have purchased that have been recalled. The stock levels of all of the flavors have been consistent (knock on wood) at my warehouse throughout the pandemic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

How does Costco get carrot cake so insanely right but gently caress up pumpkin pies

Do they just use the absolute worst quality pumpkin filling or something?

Naw it's the same poo poo you get in the stores. The problem with the Pumpkin Pies is there's so many places they can go wrong that you're pretty much always going to gently caress them up.

1.They're bland, like all costco freshfare they're just made to be plain. The ingredients are literally Pie mix, Pumpkin, water, Cornstarch, and Eggs.

2.We're making industrial levels of product in commercial level facilities. For example during the month of Thanksgiving we do about 20,000 pies. We have two mixers, each one of which can only mix 80 pies at once and this is overfulling them it should only be sixty. That's 250 bowls of pies to make, then we need to pump them into the shells one at a time, bake them for an hour in the oven, one hour of floor time, and one hour in the freezer all before they're wrapped. Basically to keep up on the production we need one person full time mixing one person pressing shells, one person filling and two people wrapping. This is in addition to all the other items like Cakes and Muffins that need to be hand mixed and dropped or cookies that need to be panned up. Further more those pie crusts are also all made by hand, so in addition to 250 bowls of Pie we need 100 bowls of crusts made and frozen before the season even starts.

Each one of the crusts needs to be mixed from blocks of shortening and flour, weighed, pressed in a mold, divided out onto sheet pans and then frozen before being palatized. People rush this and gently caress the crusts up all the time which makes them not hold their shape when you press them, if you seen ones with soft crowns that's probably what happened.

3. Our equipment is not made to handle the volume we have. We have one heated pie press that we need to operate continuously. If it's too hot it melts the shortening inside the crust and ruins it's texture. If it's too cold then the crust sticks and you have to scrape it off and lose time and product. So when we run it for so long at a time it gets cold which ruins the pies, so people turn in up which makes it too hot and ruins the pies.

Our Pneumatic pump is also fully not ready for the amount we do. For pushing a rack or two it's fine but for continuous operation like we do it breaks down constantly with seals slipping out and pie mix spraying everywhere, which means we need to stop everything we're doing break down something with entirely too many parts, clean and dry them, and then put them all back together again only for it to break again in a few racks. Plus if the thing does stay together our air compressor can't keep up which means the per pie volume gets hosed up which means we need to hand pour until it builds the tank back up.

4. Costco is a retail operation not a food service operation and they operate on retail logic, i.e. more bodies equals more quick. But when you send a bunch of chuckle fucks who don't want to be back there into a slow moving disaster of a dept someone, read me, needs to spend most of their shifts making sure they're making at least a small amount of actual effect on our actual operations instead of just eating our labor dollars for no gain.

5. We need to raise the drat price

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’ve always assumed Costco loses money on those pies. I can’t buy the ingredients for that pie for what they sell it for.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

skipdogg posted:

I’ve always assumed Costco loses money on those pies. I can’t buy the ingredients for that pie for what they sell it for.

Economies of scale are pretty neat when you're snapping up a billion gallons of pumpkin goo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No we lose a fuckton on the pies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gaius Marius posted:

No we lose a fuckton on the pies

bring back the greasy rear end garlic bread

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My local church is installing two more banks (tripling the number of pumps)of gas pumps perpendicular to the existing ones and they tore down the staples next door to make room for more queue space.
It's gunna be like a Bucees with a costco attached now.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Naw it's the same poo poo you get in the stores. The problem with the Pumpkin Pies is there's so many places they can go wrong that you're pretty much always going to gently caress them up.

1.They're bland, like all costco freshfare they're just made to be plain. The ingredients are literally Pie mix, Pumpkin, water, Cornstarch, and Eggs.

2.We're making industrial levels of product in commercial level facilities. For example during the month of Thanksgiving we do about 20,000 pies. We have two mixers, each one of which can only mix 80 pies at once and this is overfulling them it should only be sixty. That's 250 bowls of pies to make, then we need to pump them into the shells one at a time, bake them for an hour in the oven, one hour of floor time, and one hour in the freezer all before they're wrapped. Basically to keep up on the production we need one person full time mixing one person pressing shells, one person filling and two people wrapping. This is in addition to all the other items like Cakes and Muffins that need to be hand mixed and dropped or cookies that need to be panned up. Further more those pie crusts are also all made by hand, so in addition to 250 bowls of Pie we need 100 bowls of crusts made and frozen before the season even starts.

Each one of the crusts needs to be mixed from blocks of shortening and flour, weighed, pressed in a mold, divided out onto sheet pans and then frozen before being palatized. People rush this and gently caress the crusts up all the time which makes them not hold their shape when you press them, if you seen ones with soft crowns that's probably what happened.

3. Our equipment is not made to handle the volume we have. We have one heated pie press that we need to operate continuously. If it's too hot it melts the shortening inside the crust and ruins it's texture. If it's too cold then the crust sticks and you have to scrape it off and lose time and product. So when we run it for so long at a time it gets cold which ruins the pies, so people turn in up which makes it too hot and ruins the pies.

Our Pneumatic pump is also fully not ready for the amount we do. For pushing a rack or two it's fine but for continuous operation like we do it breaks down constantly with seals slipping out and pie mix spraying everywhere, which means we need to stop everything we're doing break down something with entirely too many parts, clean and dry them, and then put them all back together again only for it to break again in a few racks. Plus if the thing does stay together our air compressor can't keep up which means the per pie volume gets hosed up which means we need to hand pour until it builds the tank back up.

4. Costco is a retail operation not a food service operation and they operate on retail logic, i.e. more bodies equals more quick. But when you send a bunch of chuckle fucks who don't want to be back there into a slow moving disaster of a dept someone, read me, needs to spend most of their shifts making sure they're making at least a small amount of actual effect on our actual operations instead of just eating our labor dollars for no gain.

5. We need to raise the drat price

So are they like ready yet or what

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I started them last week

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

This explains so much, I've definitely noticed all of the pie issues you point out. Never knew what caused them until now, but it makes perfect sense.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Their sweet potato pie is stellar tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

bring back the greasy rear end garlic bread

Wait what

how long ago was this