Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ihmemies posted:

Would spell block do? I could increase it with tempest shield. Glancing blows of course means 2/3 of the blocked dmg goes through.

I am not sure glancing blow is good now,but 100% spell suppression is one of the most important defensive layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Femur posted:

I am not sure glancing blow is good now,but 100% spell suppression is one of the most important defensive layer.

It's much much harder to get 100% spell suppression now unless you're over on the right side of the tree or are have high dex and can get Magebane, but none of those apply to an Elementalist. Not to mention with Doryani's Prototype you can't get any from your body armor. They really did make it very difficult to get 100% spell suppression outside of Ranger/Shadow unless you have super good gear.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Awesome! posted:

i absolutely killed myself to reflect with a lvl 20 frostblink when i played rf last league. totally doable if you blink into a big pack.

Oh right I forgot you multiply by the number of mobs hit .

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

What is a number I need to achieve so my guy doesn't keel over when someone touches my guy?

I am doing Lightning Conduit. There is often so much stuff in screen or my attention sucks that I just die. I am starting to hate the dying.

https://pastebin.com/kG3MdEmz

Any pro tips? Max block/spell block? Another build? More damage?

Have you got life gain on block? If not, glancing blows is a trap and you're worse off than not having it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
People complained for several seasons about flask sustain. Now the game showers you in flasks, but you still complain? What's your problem?

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

I don't actually mind the flask mod on rares, but they should probably make it so they drop fully quality'd in maps so they're at least a bauble

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
There should be an archnem mod that causes all of its items to drop with 20+% quality

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

There should be an archnem mod that causes all of its items to drop with 20+% quality

So what you're saying is two mods that drop scads of smithing stones

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If there's one thing I had trouble with before it was sustaining low tier quality currency

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
This is the first season I haven’t had to move my filter a level up and down because I was out of tp scrolls. Thank you whetstone mobs!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I still don’t understand why scours are so rare

Every things has filled up but them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

poemdexter posted:

This is the first season I haven’t had to move my filter a level up and down because I was out of tp scrolls. Thank you whetstone mobs!!!

I usually edit wisdom and TP scrolls into my stricter filters BECAUSE I MUST HAVE THEM ALL IT'S NOT A SICKNESS HOW DARE YOU but yeah I certainly didn't need to this time around. (Also I think I'm up to my third Portal gem from Div cards)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

the scour+alch reroll is too powerful

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

What is a number I need to achieve so my guy doesn't keel over when someone touches my guy?

I am doing Lightning Conduit. There is often so much stuff in screen or my attention sucks that I just die. I am starting to hate the dying.

https://pastebin.com/kG3MdEmz

I imported you into pobb.in which doesn't show gear and I'm not an expert on your build so take this with a grain of salt. It looks like you don't have glancing blows allocated, so you're probably using Emperor's Vigilance to split damage between life and es? If so, glancing blows is how you split the damage which lets you be properly hybrid if you have max or near max block. But since you can't block at all if you have no ES, you really need to invest more in ES recovery mechanics and you need to ensure you have a decent life total for unblocked hits. I don't see any obvious ES regen, for example. This shield is great for multi-hit defense but the unblocked hits always pass ES and hit life directly. Since your actual life total isn't high one shots are pretty possible. Finally, your armor isn't amazing for a prototype build, you're not using vaal molten shell, and you have an easy opportunity to slot enduring cry for endurance charges in place of one of the dead gems in your punishment link.

Summing up, if I'm right about the shield, prioritize in roughly this order - cap spell block, get some percent ES Regen, increase your life on tree (and maybe gear rolls), get some higher flat armor sources, slot vaal molten shell and use the vaal version with the regular on cwdt, and slot enduring cry.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Femur posted:

I ran RF last season with 0 spell suppression and never had an issue. It could be the build had 75% spell block though...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is that true that glancing blows isn’t worth it without life gain on block or Aegis ?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ihmemies posted:

Would spell block do? I could increase it with tempest shield. Glancing blows of course means 2/3 of the blocked dmg goes through.

ways to convert phys taken as element can help a lot, as well as a lot of armor/ev

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
35% block is 35% damage reduction on average. 70% Glancing Blows block is 24.5% damage reduction. Glancing Blows is only good if you are gaining something from blocking.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

euphronius posted:

Is that true that glancing blows isn’t worth it without life gain on block or Aegis ?

Maybe if you have lots of other recovery because it should theoretically flatten out the damage spikes some but otherwise, glancing blows is an overall damage taken increase.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It's a good heuristic but it's got exceptions - glancing blows increases your damage taken over reasonably long sequences of rolls, all else equal, but it does increase the likelihood you survive certain big hits. And it means certain even bigger hits now always one shot you. If you're not getting something good from the block (ie, aegis or shaper life, but also splitting damage between life and es using Emperor's Vigilance, and I'm sure there are other niche abilities that trigger on block) you're probably smoothing out incoming damage (good) but taking more overall damage (real bad).

Edit - beaten by Cinara with the numbers making it real clear.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Is there something in your build requiring you to have no lightning res?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

DangerDongs posted:

Doryani's Prototype

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Doryani's prototype gives lightning resistance from armor. So when I have armor I have enough lightning resistance.

In fact with the prototype lightning resistance is a problem. I share lightning resistance with mobs, and if my LR is maxed then are mob's LR too.

So if I have -50 LR then mobs have -50LR too. I guess the mininum is -200 lightning res. The less resisistance I have, the more dmg mobs take from lightning spells. It took me a while to understand too, I was just following someone's build.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
honestly if you have a flask tab it's probably worth it to pick up the good flasks (read: jade, quicksilver, possibly quartz) and just id and control-click them into your flask tab, which you set as buyout 30c or whatever. chemist's jade flask of the impala or whatever is decent money.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

Doryani's prototype gives lightning resistance from armor. So when I have armor I have enough lightning resistance.

In fact with the prototype lightning resistance is a problem. I share lightning resistance with mobs, and if my LR is maxed then are mob's LR too.

So if I have -50 LR then mobs have -50LR too. I guess the mininum is -200 lightning res. The less resisistance I have, the more dmg mobs take from lightning spells. It took me a while to understand too, I was just following someone's build.

It's good to remember that the line on Prototype that says "Lightning Resistance does not affect Lightning Damage taken" means you always have exactly 0% resistance against Lightning DOT. That gives you like 0.8 seconds to get the gently caress away from Baran mana runes, Shock and Horror beam, Sirus Deatomization Storms, possibly AN mods, etc, before you eat poo poo. Unless you intentionally convert lightning damage away with things that don't specify Hit only, like the Timeless jewel or the Ultimatum shield.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
But armor applies to lightning damage with it, and that POB has a lot.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the relevant line is "Armour also applies to Lightning Damage taken from Hits"

dots arent hits

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're dying with prototype on, the answer is always that you don't have as much lightning mitigation as you think you do.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Isn’t divine flesh a pretty generic Good answer to reducing a lot of ele dmg taken? Seems like it’d work well with prototype. Assuming you got more life and armor.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

It's good to remember that the line on Prototype that says "Lightning Resistance does not affect Lightning Damage taken" means you always have exactly 0% resistance against Lightning DOT. That gives you like 0.8 seconds to get the gently caress away from Baran mana runes, Shock and Horror beam, Sirus Deatomization Storms, possibly AN mods, etc, before you eat poo poo. Unless you intentionally convert lightning damage away with things that don't specify Hit only, like the Timeless jewel or the Ultimatum shield.

The Mana Siphoner in particular has a ring around it that between other things, does Lightning DoT

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The more I think about it, the more I think they could have done with Archnem loot

Have an Archnem modifier that drops Synthesized items

Have an Archnem modifier that drops items with Veiled mods

Have an Archnem modifier that drops items with Incursion mods

Have an Archnem modifier that drops items with Elder/Shaper/Conqueror influences

Just go nuts with the whole system

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Unfortunately they can't risk the game being too rewarding, players might leave.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

They should remove the scripted gem drops in Twilight Strand; players with that kind of power so quickly can't possibly be having fun

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tabletops posted:

Isn’t divine flesh a pretty generic Good answer to reducing a lot of ele dmg taken? Seems like it’d work well with prototype. Assuming you got more life and armor.

You're giving up the substantial amount of ES on the Armour; I don't see many people go that route, especially since Aegis Aurora synergies so well with Prototype. But, all of the DoT mitigation methods have compromises. I believe most people go with the "I paid for 6 portals" strategy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zero VGS posted:

possibly AN mods

Mana Siphoner, the blue donut aoe, is a lightning dot. Number one reason I have no interest in playing doryani's builds.

I did a doryani's int stacking flicker build in scourge and it was fun as hell but the most difficult boss of them all was shock and horror because that lightning beam would melt me in under a second.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Create more build options by doubling the number ef flask slots but halving flask power.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

totalnewbie posted:

Mana Siphoner, the blue donut aoe, is a lightning dot. Number one reason I have no interest in playing doryani's builds.

I did a doryani's int stacking flicker build in scourge and it was fun as hell but the most difficult boss of them all was shock and horror because that lightning beam would melt me in under a second.

Even before AN mods I was getting owned while using Protoype. Thankfully it turns out that in party play a cursebot with AG can stack enough -res to give endgame bosses -200% of any element, so I get to enjoy the absurd damage with none of the drawback now.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

This league really was a quadruple whammy of dull/unrewarding league mechanic, reverting all of the AN balance tweaking from last league, loot changes, and the worst part which was the skill balancing leaving us on 3.17 but everything other than SRS is varying worse.
Don't make me tap the cleave sign again.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Drakyn posted:

Don't make me tap the cleave sign again.

Why, what'd they do to cleave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

quote:

Cleave now has +0 to Radius at gem level 1 (unchanged), up to +10 to Radius at gem level 20 (previously +8).